banana boat ride

Do you have to book the banana boat ride ahead of time or can you just do it that day on CC. I think our family may like to do it but thought we could just sign up that day on shore...Is this not correct?
Thanks for any input.
:bounce: :sunny:

We did this a few years ago and were lucky enough to have a group of dolphines (school??) come and swim alongside us for about 5 minutes. There were about 6 of them all together and they kept breaking the waves along side us. It was awsome. The guy driving the boat said he had never seen them before. It would have been about OCtober time.
As I remember we did not book in advance either time - once we may have booked on the ship, but the other time we walked up to the litttle stand thing on the beach and booked there and then. A good tip is to lean towards the middle, then if you do fall off it is much easier to get back on!

Lorraine

Lorraine said:
A good tip is to lean towards the middle, then if you do fall off it is much easier to get back on!

Lorraine

Help! I don't understand this. Can someone explain how leaning towards the middle of the banana boat makes it easier to get back on if you fall off? My daughter has conned me into riding this thing with her, though I have lots of time to back out... hehe.

My biggest fear is falling into the ocean only no one notices I'm gone because they are too busy holding on for dear life while being blinded by salty water spraying into their faces! :scared:

How deep is the deepest part of the ocean we would fall into? Any guesses?
:scared1:

Thanks, Tink

tinkerbellmagic said:
Help! I don't understand this. Can someone explain how leaning towards the middle of the banana boat makes it easier to get back on if you fall off? My daughter has conned me into riding this thing with her, though I have lots of time to back out... hehe.

My biggest fear is falling into the ocean only no one notices I'm gone because they are too busy holding on for dear life while being blinded by salty water spraying into their faces! :scared:

How deep is the deepest part of the ocean we would fall into? Any guesses?
:scared1:

Thanks, Tink

Because if you fall off the seat leaning towards the middle of the BB, you land on the floor of the BB between the two rows of seats and not in the water. I know the area of water that we fell into was about 6 feet deep. You will have a life vest on, just don't wear glasses or anything you don't want to lose incase you do fall in the water. Relax and enjoy the ride, it was a "BLAST!!!" Goggles would be good to wear to keep the salt water out of your eyes.

do they have a weight limit on this thing. I really want to do this my DS is 8 (gonna be 9) and he really wants to do it and so does his dad but my other DS is 6 and he cant go. (although he looks like he is 8) we have back up to watch the little one but i am concerned as i am larger and am afraid i wont be able to ride :confused3

mommiechewie said:
do they have a weight limit on this thing. I really want to do this my DS is 8 (gonna be 9) and he really wants to do it and so does his dad but my other DS is 6 and he cant go. (although he looks like he is 8) we have back up to watch the little one but i am concerned as i am larger and am afraid i wont be able to ride :confused3

I think as long as you can get on the thing you should be fine! Plenty of pooh size people were doing it!

We have signed up for the banana boat ride excursion. I'm not worried about my 16 and 14 year olds but after reading this ....do you think an 8 year old can take it? He is pretty adventurous, but I wonder if he can hold on tight enough. Has anyone seen any young kids on this... I was planning on making him be in the middle between myself and my brother. He's really looking forward to doing this but I don't want sign him up for this if hes too young. I would appreciate suggestions as we leave Satuday! Thanks! Patti PS I've done this before and loved it but its been 8 years ago !!!

PattiO, I echo your question. Anyone have a good answer? My dd will be 8 and really wants to do the BB. She is a daredevil, but small. I'll do it only for her! Should I chance it and just not do it again if it doesn't work out? Is it very disruptive to the ride when they must stop to reseat someone who has fallen off? I'm thinking "beached whale" here. Although another poster has given an unexpected twist, "Pooh-sized", I like that!

Should Pooh and Piglet try to ride the Banana Boat? :confused3

Darlene

We have taken the banna boat ride 3x's, as soon as the youngest was 8. In 2003 I loved it we went 2x's, sat near the middle of the row with kids in front of us side by side the first time, and at the end of the day had the whole boat to ourselves. It was a blast, no trouble holding on, we went fast but it was a smooth ride, not much bucking the current. We went this year, 2004 and were at the front of the boat, with our grandkids in front of us. We were flying and bouncing out of our seats he had to stop 3 x's for people who fell of into the center. Then we flipped over, not just fell off the entire boat turned over. It happed so fast you have no time to grab the kids. No fear of water but I will not go again. I think I drank half the ocean. Our grandson really scared us, he did not let go and was under the boat. The ride is fun, but was just as much fun the first year when the speed was slower. I know you can see we are grandparents, but young ones only in our 50's so the age has nothing to do with it, we also snorkel, swim, jet ski, and ride all the rides at Universal and WDW. I think the control of the speed is set by the drivers and some think you want to flip or else think its funny when you do.

How hard and "embarrassing" is it to have to get back on. I had a mentally tramatic event trying to get back onto a jet ski and I'd rather not repeat that experience. I am not "pooh sized" (although my butt may be) and am relatively young but seriously scarred from the embarrassment. Does this seem to be a problem. What happens when kids fly off by themselves. Do the parents just bail with them? Are there life jackets on them (and everyone else)? Sorry for all the questions :)
Thanks

Also, and this is a really pathetic question.....(old ninny), does the stress of trying to hang on outway the fun? I'm guessing no from reading the above posts, and if they allow 8 year olds.

Everyone has a life jacket on and no the stress of holding on does not take away from the pleasure of the ride, at least for me it didn't. I am a pooh sized per person and I had the time of my life on this ride. I was actually surprised how easy I was able to get back on the banana boat after we fell off. My DD was sitting in front of me and I saw her go off first, so I let go of the handle and went in after her(call it a parent thing), but I told myself before we even started out, that if she fell off, I was letting go.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We just returned last Saturday from our cruise. On Friday while at Castaway Cay my kids and I did the banana boat ride and had a ball! My 16 yo DD and 14 yo DS thought it was a little mellow. I was just fine! I was worried before and had ?? re my 8 yo DS. He sat right in front and did just fine. I do recommend as others have to wear goggles. Especially when sitting in the front. I sat right behind him and I could have used them too. No one on our boat fell off.

I prebooked this excusrion last night online. I have always wanted to do this. I am glad I read the thing about googles or sunglasses. On another cruise we purchased these special straps to help keep our sunglasses on. I might have to try and find them.

My family booked the banana boats at Castaway Cay. DS13 & DS17 were excited after reading the description and looking forward to flying off. Our boat was actually pulled by a mototboat, not a jet ski and there were only six of us on it. We must have had the most conservative driver because our boys were doing everything in their power to get bounced off (not holding on, leaning way over, typical teenager stuff) and remained on the banana boat. We got very little spray and a few nice bounces but for the most part, it was a bust! We loved everything else about CC just kind of disappointed in the bananas. :banana:

rae519 said:
I sort of resemble that when I come back from horseback riding.....but the landing is much softer in water and you can find your glasses if they fly off!

Rae
Horseback riding???????? I didnt know there was horseback riding!!!
where do you sign up for horseback riding

I rode the banana boat two years ago. Never again. It was a windy day and very choppy. The spray was atrocious and the ride so bumpy, it was all I could do to hold on. And I made the mistake of having my scuba mask down on my face when the shutters photographer took our picture and I looked like a real dork. Most every one else in the family enjoyed it however.

any info on the banana boat ride? do you wear a life jacket? how long is the ride? is it fun? see anything good?

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

i was the (almost) best money spent on cc.... dd..myself...b-inlaw...nephew, all went together!
had a blast!!
definetely wear goggles!! put them on tightly as they will come off!!!
and be prepared to laugh your guts out !!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter