• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baltimore MD trip ideas for birthday

hershey2014

Mouseketeer
We are celebrating my sons birthday this saturday in Baltimore, MD. We are taking him to an Orioles game. We are arriving late morning and the game doesn't start til 7pm. What can we do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? It will be 5 of us. 2 adults and 3 kids.

Thanks for ANY input!!

You could go to Fort McHenry, visit the National Aquarium (ours is pretty awesome!), visit the Science Center, take a ride on the Sea Dog (it is a speedboat tour of the Harbor), walk around the Inner Harbor, visit Ripley's Believe It or Not, visit Port Discovery (it is for younger kids), take the water taxi to Fells Point and walk around, have lunch or dinner in Little Italy (Sabatoni's is my favorite), enjoy a seafood lunch or dinner (I personally think the best seafood is in Canton at either the Canton Dockside or Bo Brooks).

I would say the aquarium but it's not cheap. We've had memberships given to us for Christmas in the past so I'm not sure how much it costs exactly to get in but I know it's costly but well worth it if you've never been! I see Port Discovery as something for younger kids but the Maryland Science Center has stuff for all different ages :)

The aquarium is great for kids and adults! On Friday evenings, it's 1/2 price after 5:00pm, (but it doesn't look like you will be there then). Also at the Inner Harbor, the historic ships are pretty cool to take a tour of, especially the submarine USS Torsk. You can also check out Lexington Market and have crab cakes at Faidley's Seafood. There's also the grave of Edgar Allen Poe at the Westminster Cemetery which is next to Lexington Market. Right next to the baseball stadium is Geppi's Entertainment Museum which is an awesome place if you're into pop-culture or comics. My son and husband could spend hours there.

The aquarium is great, but pricey. The science center is fantastic and cheaper. If you have a membership to your local science center it is free thanks to a reciprocal agreement, hard to beat free! The zoo is a little bit of a drive away and is also fun.

You can spend an hour or three shopping and eating around the harbor, but that's about it without taking in an attraction. Not sure the ages of the kids, but there is an interactive fountain/splash pad next to the visitors center so be prepared with a bathing suit/change of clothes. There's a big Barnes and Noble in the harbor, we can waste away a couple of hours there easy.

Thanks so much for the replies. The kids will be 13, 12 and 11. Ive looked into the aquarium but it will cost us 160.00 just for that.

We love visiting Inner Harbor! The Aquarium is really expensive (but one of the best!). I can't remember how much the science center was, but we could spend more than a day there. We went to the Baltimore Museum of Industry last time. It was a bit of a walk from Inner Harbor, but it was really neat and I don't think it was outrageously expensive. There are paddle boats shaped like dragons you can rent near the historic boats that you can tour if you don't want to leave the harbor area. The top of the world trade building also has an observation deck. Between the science center and the tall ship Constellation, there's a huge visitor information center. You can't miss it -- the entire building is glass. I'm sure they'll have lots of great ideas there.

I just toured the historic ships with two of my younger cousins a few weeks ago- all three of us loved it! Living Social also has a deal out where you can get tickets to all four ships for $9 per adult and $4 per child, which is what we did.

You can check out the Babe Ruth museum. It's right near the ballpark. It won't take you long; maybe an hour. It's nice, we were just there right after it opened from its refurb.

Here's a money saving tip for the O's game. There are vendors right outside the gate, selling sodas, water, peanuts, hotdogs. You can bring them all into the park, saving a ton of cash. Also, there are cheap kids hotdogs sold inside only at the concession stand closest to the kids playground. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter