Balancing Teens and Toddler... how do my plans look?

cdhale

Mouseketeer
My twin daughters (who will be just-turned 13 year olds at the time of our August trip) and I have been to WDW many times, starting when they were 6. This will be the first trip for their little brother, my "favorite son" (2.75 as of our travel dates). I always plan each day in advance, but this is the first time I've had to plan around the schedule of a toddler who stays up late (10:30), wakes up early (6:30-7), but takes a 3+ hour afternoon nap. How did I do?

The particulars:
when: August 16-23, 2015
what: 8 day PH with 1 water park day, NO dining plan
where: Poly Standard View
who: For the full 8 days, me and my afore-mentioned brood of 3. For 16-19, by son's dad (not a Disney enthusiast). For late 19-23, my very good friend (been to WDW, but only for soccer tournaments with her kids, who are now in college and beyond).

Here are my kids. J loves his planes!

HandS.jpg

Jamie.jpg

Day 1: Sunday
10:30 flight from BWI to MCO, hope to arrive at Poly by 3:00, check-in
chill, unpack
5:30 ADR Chef Mickey's
Mono or walk to MK
7-9-ish FP+ SDMT, SpaceMt, SplashMt (here is where we learn how rider swap works)
and hopefully get in a few minor rides with J in Fantasy Land
No parade, no fireworks unless we watch them from Poly beach

Day 2: Monday
water park day, weather permitting, TL
I'll probably leave early with J and leave dad and girls there
evening: mom and girls date night at HS, dad and J can do whatever they want :)
6:00 TSMM FP+
7:10 Sci Fi ADR
7:30 Star Tours FP+
8:30 ToT FP+
maybe catch Fantasmic

Day 3: Tuesday
8:50 BOG breakfast ADR
10-1 FP+ at PPF, BTMR, Splash Mt. In between we'll ride the train and whatever else we can get on.
QS lunch somewhere...
Take J back to Poly when he's done, everyone else can follow at their leisure.
Evening: no firm plans. I love 8 day trips!

Day 4: My 40th B-day :sad2:
"sleep in", breakfast at Poly, head to Epcot
9:40-12 FP+ at Turtle Talk, Character Spot, Test Trak. We won't venture to World Showcase today.
dad will probably head out mid-day, we'll head back to Poly, Bust first lunch at Sunshine Seasons.
6:10 ADR Coral Reef
Hopefully we'll have gotten a Soarin' FP earlier in the day for this evening! Otherwise, maybe WS
My friend arrives at Poly at 11 or so.

Day 5: Thursday
AK Day! Early breakfast at Poly, as I want to make this rope drop
9:20-noon FP+ Dinosaur, Safari, KRR (I know, lots of moving around)
In between try to catch Nemo show, EE, Dino land stuff
QS lunch at AK
Let J nap in his stroller??
Evening DTD or Epcot WS

Day 6: Friday
Up and out early for...
8:00 ADR Hollywood & Vine. This is all for J and his love of all things Disney Jr.
Hopefully get on TSMM early with little wait. Disney Jr Live show, maybe B&B and ToT.
Then out. Back to Poly. Rest. Back to Epcot.
4-7 FP+SE, Nemo, Soarin'
8:45 ADR La Hacienda (trying to change to R&C unsuccessfully or earlier for Illuminations possible viewing)
EMH... we'll see how long we last!

Day 7: Saturday
9:00 ARD Kona
9:40-12:15 FP+ Splash Mt, Jungle Cruise, Buzz, and do anything left at MK we haven't done
no other plans today. There are pm EMH at MK, so we might catch the late parade

Day 8: Sunday
no firm plans
our flight is not until 7:30 pm!

Okay, just looking at that is making me tired. But so excited!! :jumping1:

Sounds like a good plan. My suggestions are-

Day 2- I think you'll have a difficult time making the Star Tours FP with the Sci Fi ressie so close (even at the end of the FP window). I would try to move that FP up by 1/2 hour or move it to before TSMM.

Day 5- I would do Dinosaur at RD and save your FP for EE for later in the afternoon.There shouldn't be much wait for Dinosaur if you hit it at RD. Then I would do Dinoland and Nemo show. I would do lunch after and then save your FP for Kali and Safari for after lunch. Then you can kind of make your way around the park instead of backtracking because it is a lot of walking with not much in between attractions. Or you could do something in reverse and do Safari first thing standby and use a FP for Kali. Then see the Lion King show or Nemo standby. Eat lunch and use a FP for EE. Then go through Dinoland and and use your last FP for Dinosaur.

Day 7- If you have breakfast at Kona at 9, I think it will be difficult to hit a FP before 10.

Sounds like a great balance of wants and needs. My DS was 15 when little guy was born and we have done very successful trips to WDW! I found the big really enjoyed seeing the little one enjoy the kids stuff too. I love splitting up for a girls and guys night. I have all guys be we have done older DS and I out late and little guy and DH going to bed early. Don't under estimate that your little guy might sleep in the stroller at least some and he might sleep a bit later in the morning. Hotel rooms are dark and he will be tired! Unless everyone is really big eaters, you will not need to order extra food for your little one. Our little guy shared with us until last year! Have fun with your special family.

Thanks for the great tips, lizard1! I re-worked our AK day so we're going through clock-wise with no back-tracking (Safari stand-by, as you suggested) and pushed a few of our other FP+ up.

We have 8 kids ages 23 to 3. We have made almost 20 trips and enjoyed them all. One thing that I would suggest is changing Splash Mtn passes to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, if it is not too late. My teenagers really enjoyed the 7 Dwarfs ride, but they would have never been able to ride it as much without the fast passes. On the other hand, they had no problem getting in Splash Mtn multiple times, especially at night. We usually go in March, but I think it would be similar in August, just even more people!

Your daughters are beautiful and your son is sooooo adorable! My oldest son and daughter are also 13 year old twins; and on our next trip our youngest DD will be 2 years old and it will also be her first Disney trip! I am up for the challenge of doing Disney again with a wide age range of kids - toddler on up to teenagers! Have a magical trip pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter