Baking as a business

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
I don't know if this is the right place to ask these questions, but I'm hopeful that some of you wonderful DIS chefs can maybe point me in the right direction.

My neighbors are constantly hitting me up to make their Christmas cookies and sweet breads for them during the holiday season. Is there a way to find out what I would need to do to make this a home based business? Is that even legal? What kinds of things do I need to think about here? Food handlers permit? Any other kinds of permits? Is it too much trouble to even contemplate?

Thanks for any input.

Each state and sometimes area has different laws, rules, and requirements. Like here in New York State a food based business can only use equipment that is not used for personal use. I would have to have separate kitchen if I were to make and sell products from it.
That being said, you can ask your local municipalities about laws and ordances. It may not be worth your time for seasonal operations. (I had a friend that would use a local grocery store bakery after hours to start her chocolate business, she just spoke with the owner and paid rent.)
Now, there are ways around laws. I know people that have had their customers purchase the needed items, used their house to prepare the food, and then they collected the money as "donation" for helping the homeowner make cakes, cookies, and what not. In general, if you are not collecting so much money that you would have to claim it on a tax return, most governments won't pay too much attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter