Bah Humbug...So much money wasted!

Vegans won't eat dairy, in addition to not eating meat. Vegetarians just won't eat meat. Chocolate, etc. has milk in it.
Ok, thanks. I thought vegan was short for vegetarian or just a new name for them. Didn't know there was a difference. I thought it mainly had to do with not wanting to kill animals. I don't know anyone like that.

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily think you're Scrooge. For me, I get some gifts that I honestly don't think the person was really being thoughtful or considerate...more just oh crap I guess I have to give a gift to x lets just wrap up this and check it off the list to meet some imagined obligation. When that happens it does feel wasteful, yeah you checked the box and gave me a holiday gist, but really I would have been okay with them not feeling they were obligated to get something and phone it in (and I'm sure they would have been happier too to save the time and money).

So my philosophy is when someone is giving me a gift I'm always appreciative and thankful, but if it's clear it was just done under some perceived kind of obligation I say you know what next year lets just grab a cup of coffee or see a movie together and skip the gifts.

I felt the same way when I went to a Salvation Army thrift store right before the holidays last year. It struck me that lots of items were gifts that were never used. It made me a little sad to think that someone wasted their money.

This reminds me of a homemade gift I got. A sweet little old lady I worked with took mason jars and filled them with nuts and dried fruit. I was so appreciative of her gift.....till I went to eat it...

I have NO idea how long she had had these jars of stuff but as I poured some of mine out there was a little pocket where some spiders lived (at least it looked like a spiders web). You could tell it had been sitting somewhere for awhile. I was totally grossed out!!! I never said a word to anyone. Would never want to embarrass her.

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily think you're Scrooge. For me, I get some gifts that I honestly don't think the person was really being thoughtful or considerate...more just oh crap I guess I have to give a gift to x lets just wrap up this and check it off the list to meet some imagined obligation. When that happens it does feel wasteful, yeah you checked the box and gave me a holiday gist, but really I would have been okay with them not feeling they were obligated to get something and phone it in (and I'm sure they would have been happier too to save the time and money).

So my philosophy is when someone is giving me a gift I'm always appreciative and thankful, but if it's clear it was just done under some perceived kind of obligation I say you know what next year lets just grab a cup of coffee or see a movie together and skip the gifts.

This. Today my boss handed me a bottle of wine and says, "I know you don't drink, but Merry Christmas". Thanks? And yes, my best friend will appreciate it (just like every other year) but seriously I'd rather there were no gifts. Donate $5 to the Humane Society online in my name instead if you feel you HAVE to give something; you don't even have to leave your couch. I just remind myself that otherwise he's a pretty decent boss and I do like my job, although I really have no desire to hang out with him away from work. :scared:

Not quite the same but we exchange gifts with another couple, about $25. One gift we received was a $25 gift card to TGIFridays...it didn't pay the whole bill but that was fine. It gave us a good chunk and an evening out. Another year, a $25 gift card to an upscale restaurant and had to kick in $125. One cocktail, no appetizer and no dessert. To me, that much to kick in was crazy. I could not give a gift like that.

Ok, thanks. I thought vegan was short for vegetarian or just a new name for them. Didn't know there was a difference. I thought it mainly had to do with not wanting to kill animals. I don't know anyone like that.

This is one reason, though, that people tend to be cautious about accepting food gifts from other people. If someone asks me, I'll tell them I'm vegan - and they, like Art1, may assume that it means I am fine with eating milk and eggs, when I'm not. On Monday at work our supervisor's boss left packages of chocolate on everyone's desk. I just gave mine to my friend in the next cubicle.

I do appreciate any gifts I am given, and try to pass them along if they aren't appropriate for me. It is the thought that counts.

Wow. Very sad. I belong to a friends in need group and we take meals for people going through stressful situations....good or bad. Surgeries, deaths in family, accidents, birth of baby....whenever needed. I have also been a recipient and is so very appreciative.
I agree. In mum's church, as soon as someone dies, everyone is cooking casseroles etc. I felt bad when people cooked for us when my mum died because of allergies I couldn't eat it unless I knew exactly what was in it but at least I had plenty to offer to people who dropped in!

I felt the same way when I went to a Salvation Army thrift store right before the holidays last year. It struck me that lots of items were gifts that were never used. It made me a little sad to think that someone wasted their money.
I have been unwrapping, pricing and displaying last year's hostess gifts and secret Santa gifts for about a month now LOL.

I just think the catch-all phrase of "it will be enjoyed" is valuable because it WILL be...eventually.

The "Bah humbug" is the Scrooge part but I agree.

Hand made is a different story, that's like them giving you something they really treasure mbut I don't like people spending money on me, particularly if they don't really know me. One lady, every year gives me body spray (she works at Victoria's Secret). I don't use body spray, I wish she wouldn't.. I don't even have anyone to re-gift it to. Another used to give me a "MAGNUM" of that cheap Avon bubble bath (I love bubble baths), the one that turns your skin dry and scaly. That one I use to wash my floors with. The house smells so nice afterwards! This year she gave me lotion from Bed, Bath and beyond (my skin 'morphs' their stuff into way too sweet) but I'll take it to the church for the bathroom in there.
I actually bought a bottle of that not long ago from an Avon fundraiser somebody at work was doing. I laughed my head off - it came with a sheet of "Great Ideas" to use it for all sorts of things (like washing the floor). It didn't actually say you should bathe in it...:rotfl2:
I had a boss once who his wife had a baby. People were trying to help and made dinners for them. Boss said he just threw everything out as he did not trust people and their cooking. How sad, he should of gave it to the neighbors or someone to eat.
That guy really blows. The only thing worse than having done that is telling someone he did it. I read further down-thread that his church had organized most of the meals; lots of churches do this and as far as I know, they always tell the recipient (and check for allergies, etc.). For sure mine does. Why didn't your jerk-faced boss just politely decline and save everybody the time and sincere efforts? :sad2:

I actually bought a bottle of that not long ago from an Avon fundraiser somebody at work was doing. I laughed my head off - it came with a sheet of "Great Ideas" to use it for all sorts of things (like washing the floor). It didn't actually say you should bathe in it...:rotfl2:

Really? That's funny. I found out by accident when I spilled a bottle and wiped it up and it worked so well. What are the other uses. (Though I don't see that person anymore anyway.)

Really? That's funny. I found out by accident when I spilled a bottle and wiped it up and it worked so well. What are the other uses. (Though I don't see that person anymore anyway.)
The ones that readily come to mind were hand-washing lingerie and polishing mirrors to keep them from fogging up. There were about a dozen altogether; I honestly found it hilarious!

This is one reason, though, that people tend to be cautious about accepting food gifts from other people. If someone asks me, I'll tell them I'm vegan - and they, like Art1, may assume that it means I am fine with eating milk and eggs, when I'm not. On Monday at work our supervisor's boss left packages of chocolate on everyone's desk. I just gave mine to my friend in the next cubicle.

I do appreciate any gifts I am given, and try to pass them along if they aren't appropriate for me. It is the thought that counts.
Why do they not consume milk or egg products? I can see them not wanting to kill animals but why the other? Seems like a lot of effort and expense for no benefit. I have a place not far from you along the river, you are missing out on some great chocolate that is not much know outside of the area, and some other products.

Wow, I've never met anyone like that... I can see how that would make you rethink eating food made by others! :crazy2:

Yes, when a co-worker mentioned it to me I initially assumed they were exaggerating-- maybe furniture or things like that, but surely they couldn't mean food... But she came into my office herself on multiple occasions and told me about food items. "I found all this candy in the trash, so I'm going to put it out in a bowl in my office. Want some?" Another example was where she found a cake in the dumpster near a store, brought it home and fed it to her pregnant daughter and grandchildren (it was not new/sealed, it had a piece missing).

DH also had a co-worker who was out of work with a stomach virus (gave all the intimate details of her vomiting and diarrhea) who brought in homemade banana bread. People were eating it and DH was horrified and told them to think about it for a minute. Of course several people also got the illness. These are people who work in healthcare, so both the baker and the recipients should have known that wasn't the best idea.

We appreciate food from family and friends. We just aren't willing to take our chances with acquaintances, co-workers, strangers, etc.

When it comes to homemade food, as someone who bakes cookies for his coworkers every Christmas, I would like to be told if you can't eat something. Spending hours baking and decorating cookies, only to find out some of them get tossed out would piss me off. A lot. Of course, we also mark our cookies if they have nuts, and just put a spread out by the coffee area instead of giving everyone their own little package.

Then again, we also tend to know when someone is vegan, and will go out of our way to get something we know they can have, even if it's just a gift certificate to a specific vegan bakery.

Why do they not consume milk or egg products? I can see them not wanting to kill animals but why the other? Seems like a lot of effort and expense for no benefit. I have a place not far from you along the river, you are missing out on some great chocolate that is not much know outside of the area, and some other products.

I can't speak for all vegans, but much of it comes from not wanting to contribute to the inhumane treatment of animals. Dairy farms and chicken farms are far from humane, even if they aren't killing the animals for the product. And some vegans just prefer the way they feel (physically) when they don't eat any animal products. There are also religious reasons and I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of.

Art, my family follows a plant based diet for our health. Although I'm very glad that animals aren't being abused by my food choices. The cardiologists and doctors we follow believe all animal protein is bad for your body. It has certainly changed our health for the better. Trying to prevent diseases which are common in my family like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. So far it's working. Not here to try to tell others what is right for them.

For those interested:http://www.forksoverknives.com/why-...ts-heart-disease-patients-to-eat-vegan-diets/

12208539_10208206501662678_3438972276928865145_n.jpg

There is just as much slaughter associated with milk and egg production as there is with meat production. Egg production only needs female chickens, therefore the male chicks are all killed when they're young. When the females are past their prime laying (if they survive that long) they are sent to slaughter. In order to keep a cow producing milk, she must be pregnant on a regular basis. The calves are used for veal and when the mother's milk production declines she's taken for slaughter. In the production of animal products all roads lead to the slaughterhouse. It's just that some animals are used for a while longer before they get there. Hope that helps explain it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter