• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bah Humbug...So much money wasted!

OP, I totally understand the not eating homemade items because of health issues. But for me, the mason jar of homemade candy would be appreciated even more than a storebought item. I love homemade gifts. Sure, storebought is nice, but homemade just touches my heart a little more is all, especially when it's from the kids or grandkids. I kind of agree with others that think you're being a little sgrooge-like. I've received gifts that I didn't need/use but am always appreciative of the thought and the gift, then give it to someone else that I know would like it or donate to Goodwill.

If I were you, I would stop participating in Secret Santa. There is never going to be one item that appeals to everyone unless it's a $20 bill. Since my family is vegan we end up with lots of boxes of candy/chocolate and cookies we can't eat. We say "thank you very much, how nice" and give items away to very grateful people.

Maybe we should have Christmas gift registries now for certain people.

That homemade candy is actually the complete opposite of the junky gift sets that you were complaining about. That is precisely the type of gift that people should be giving. It's thoughtful, takes time and effort rather than sums of money, and is not more junk that has to be given/thrown away.

Side note: I do not understand people who don't "eat homemade items." What has the world come to, for real? We can only eat factory-produced garbage? (Don't worry, my husband is one, too, and I don't miss a chance to give him grief about it)

Edited: oops, I just saw your explanation above about health issues. Yeah, I totally get that. But so many others are turning up their noses at homemade stuff, it still baffles me.
I had a boss once who his wife had a baby. People were trying to help and made dinners for them. Boss said he just threw everything out as he did not trust people and their cooking. How sad, he should of gave it to the neighbors or someone to eat.

I had a boss once who his wife had a baby. People were trying to help and made dinners for them. Boss said he just threw everything out as he did not trust people and their cooking. How sad, he should of gave it to the neighbors or someone to eat.

Wow. Very sad. I belong to a friends in need group and we take meals for people going through stressful situations....good or bad. Surgeries, deaths in family, accidents, birth of baby....whenever needed. I have also been a recipient and is so very appreciative.

Wow. Very sad. I belong to a friends in need group and we take meals for people going through stressful situations....good or bad. Surgeries, deaths in family, accidents, birth of baby....whenever needed. I have also been a recipient and is so very appreciative.
Yes it is sad

I can see it from both sides. My DH is very sensitive about eating food from people he does not know well (and the rest of us have adopted his feelings more and more over the years). He basically assumes everyone is a hoarder with 50 cats walking all over their kitchen counters. It may seem like an irrational fear, but we have had multiple experiences of seeing someone's home or finding tons of pet hair in food after the fact, so it's not completely unfounded. People we know well it's not an issue-- we eat dinner with friends, but he has never eaten anything at any work potluck or something of that nature. He just eats the item he brought to share or he doesn't eat.

I also know how appreciative some people are of gifts of food. I actually organize all of the dinner calendars for our church (someone has a baby, illness, etc). I think it can be a wonderful and thoughtful thing to do for a family, but I would rather people not do it for my family unless we were truly in need.

It is a shame that your boss threw away all that food, but someone should have asked and he should have politely declined before people wasted their time and money preparing meals.

I can see it from both sides. My DH is very sensitive about eating food from people he does not know well (and the rest of us have adopted his feelings more and more over the years). He basically assumes everyone is a hoarder with 50 cats walking all over their kitchen counters. It may seem like an irrational fear, but we have had multiple experiences of seeing someone's home or finding tons of pet hair in food after the fact, so it's not completely unfounded. People we know well it's not an issue-- we eat dinner with friends, but he has never eaten anything at any work potluck or something of that nature. He just eats the item he brought to share or he doesn't eat.

I also know how appreciative some people are of gifts of food. I actually organize all of the dinner calendars for our church (someone has a baby, illness, etc). I think it can be a wonderful and thoughtful thing to do for a family, but I would rather people not do it for my family unless we were truly in need.

It is a shame that your boss threw away all that food, but someone should have asked and he should have politely declined before people wasted their time and money preparing meals.
I think a lot of it came from his church. I never made anything for them. I always ask to make sure no one is allergic to stuff before cooking, or try and cook for the needs of the person. But he just said he did not trust cooking period. He could of at least offered it to neighbors who might have needed it. I never said anything to him either. I understand if people are sensitive or have food issues. He threw the dish it came in away as well.

I am not crazy about homemade either-

I had a crazy relative that would use big baking pans to make suds to dip her mop in to clean the floors then RINSE them to cook in-and her whole house was DIRTY
I NEVER ate ANYTHING she made and brought to our potluck-ever!
Luckily she started bringing things from store/deli later on

I may just be getting really scroogy as I age but the last couple of holiday seasons I get really bugged by all the money that is wasted on me.

I was in Wal Mart yesterday and the raceways are crammed with gift sets and such, the type of things no one (I know) really wants but so many people buy because they don't know what to get.

DH and I have both already tossed a gift given to us this year. Mine was a Secret Santa gift that could have been one of those Pinterest fails. I honestly don't know what I could have done with it except write a thank you note and then toss it out. DH's was a mason jar filled with homemade candy. He doesn't eat homemade items. The mason jar will probably go to my workroom kitchen where there is a bit of room in the cabinets and maybe someone will drink out of it. My kitchen cabinets have no space.

I know it's the thought that counts and I'm truly grateful to be thought of and always write thank you notes but I can only store so many coffee mugs.

Am I a scrooge or does anyone else hate to see money wasted?

You don't come across as "truly grateful." You actually come across as truly UNgrateful. Someone went to the trouble of thinking of you and making you a gift and you came to a message board to complain that you didn't like it.

Imagine how you would feel you went to the trouble of making or buying something you thought was nice, special, or thoughtful, then you found out they told everyone your gift was a "fail" and a "waste of money" and threw it in the trash. This wasn't a mother-in-law giving you a dust rag and some lemon Pledge.

It is very unkind, to say the least.

Maybe I haven't been so privileged in my life to have so many people who think of me and go out of their way to give me gifts that I can so easily disregard them.

People on this board always lament the loss of "magic." Is it a wonder why with this type of attitude so prevalent in society?

Well, you'd probably benefit from an improved immune system since owning pets is shown to do that. Unless you're allergic of course.

This thread is another great example of first world problems.

I think this topic comes up when we discuss Potluck and such. I used to live in a neighborhood who did the whole dinner list thing when someone had a baby or was sick. I would participate but when it came my turn? No, just no. I have seen pictures of peoples homes on Facebook and nope, can't do it. I realize it is probably irrational but there you go. I wouldn't eat the stuff and either would my kids most likely. Send me a pizza and I would be good.
Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Well, you'd probably benefit from an improved immune system since owning pets is shown to do that. Unless you're allergic of course.

This thread is another great example of first world problems.
We do own pets. I didn't say pets were bad. I was referring specifically to unsanitary kitchens.

I also worked with a woman who would pick through the office trash and bragged about what she found dumpster diving. She admitted to serving people (both family and guests) food from the trash. Sorry, but I'd rather not take my chances with food from strangers.

Scrooge. Why not just be thankful for what you have and the people in your life? If you are then you would appreciate the thought behind the gifts and let it go. I don't mean you have to like them or use them but coming here to make a thread complaining about them is unkind and negative.

I also worked with a woman who would pick through the office trash and bragged about what she found dumpster diving. She admitted to serving people (both family and guests) food from the trash.

Wow, I've never met anyone like that... I can see how that would make you rethink eating food made by others! :crazy2:

I am not crazy about homemade either-

I had a crazy relative that would use big baking pans to make suds to dip her mop in to clean the floors then RINSE them to cook in-and her whole house was DIRTY
I NEVER ate ANYTHING she made and brought to our potluck-ever!
Luckily she started bringing things from store/deli later on
The only home cooked food I can eat is from my mother or girl.

If I were you, I would stop participating in Secret Santa. There is never going to be one item that appeals to everyone unless it's a $20 bill. Since my family is vegan we end up with lots of boxes of candy/chocolate and cookies we can't eat. We say "thank you very much, how nice" and give items away to very grateful people.

Maybe we should have Christmas gift registries now for certain people.
What is in those items that a vegetarian will not eat? Never heard of that. Thought it was only meat.

What is in those items that a vegetarian will not eat? Never heard of that. Thought it was only meat.

Vegans won't eat dairy, in addition to not eating meat. Vegetarians just won't eat meat. Chocolate, etc. has milk in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter