Bags for ECVs

cmesq61

DIS Veteran
Going to WDW in 30 days for our 1st anniversary trip. I'm in an ECV due to MS, & my DH walks. DH has always carried a backpack, I wear a fanny pack. He's getting older & would rather not carry/wear any bag. I'm trying to decide b/w a small bag in the basket of the ECV or a bag I can hang from the seat back. We travel light: sunscreen, eyeglass cases, his hearing aid case (which I can fit in my fanny pack when his hearing aids are in it), hand sanitizer, xtra socks (in case we get wet), umbrella, rain ponchos. Any recommendations for a bag to hang off the seat? Or any other thoughts/recommendations/things that have worked? Thx

Since I prefer to leave the basket off my ECV to make it more compact, I have a small insulated bag that I hang from the hook that the basket would be on...it hangs between my feet & I don't even notice it there. It's actually made to hold baby bottles but holds 2 small water bottles & has zippered areas for small items. If we want to bring jackets or ponchos, we have a small drawstring backpack that can hang over the seat back. My husband isn't old but still doesn't want to carry a backpack so I had to figure out a way to carry everything. When I decided a few years ago I didn't like the basket, I pointed out to him that people whose family doesn't require an ECV or stroller, all have to carry backpacks. He's not the one that has to try to maneuver an ECV in restrooms with that big basket on the front but we figured out a way to make it work without the basket.

At this late date, you have to consider shipping time from handicap specialty supply outfits. Here's a story from 2010 about using regular backpacks for ECVs. The issue with backpacks for some ECV users was a way to keep backpack straps from slipping off the seat back. I have used velcro straps. If the ones you buy are small, you can put 2-3 together to form one big one. Velcro straps are nice and flat and your back won't feel it.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/best-bag-for-the-back-of-an-ecv.2580191/

We've never had a problem with the drawstring type backpacks sliding off since they draw up so the strings are close together in the center of the seat.

If you are at all crafty, there are lots of patterns in the pattern books at JoAnn's that have different types of bags you can make that will fit on ECV's or wheelchairs.

I just bought an attractive 'girly' backpack with several zip pockets and it hangs nicely over the back of the seat of the Victory 10. The bag was only £13. I even found a nice pink combination padlock for £1.50 with an extending cable so I can anchor the bag and (putting the cable through the zip pull tags) lock the bag so people can't go dipping when we leave the scooter parked up.

I just bought an attractive 'girly' backpack with several zip pockets and it hangs nicely over the back of the seat of the Victory 10. The bag was only £13. I even found a nice pink combination padlock for £1.50 with an extending cable so I can anchor the bag and (putting the cable through the zip pull tags) lock the bag so people can't go dipping when we leave the scooter parked up.
Not just strangers pilfering, but those darned Theme Park Squirrels! They are amazing scroungers. I've seen pics and videos. They go from ECV to ECV, stroller to stroller. Foremost, one should know not to leave anything of value in the ECV bag. Have a smaller bag handy to carry valuables with you when you leave your ECV parked somewhere.

Not just strangers pilfering, but those darned Theme Park Squirrels! They are amazing scroungers. I've seen pics and videos. They go from ECV to ECV, stroller to stroller. Foremost, one should know not to leave anything of value in the ECV bag. Have a smaller bag handy to carry valuables with you when you leave your ECV parked somewhere.

Absolutely! I have my handbag in the front basket (where I can see it). The backpack contains rain ponchos for us and the scooter, hoodies for evenings, snacks, drinks and suncream. The cameras/phones/money/keys/tickets - and anything else essential - goes in the handbag.

Going to WDW in 30 days for our 1st anniversary trip. I'm in an ECV due to MS, & my DH walks. DH has always carried a backpack, I wear a fanny pack. He's getting older & would rather not carry/wear any bag. I'm trying to decide b/w a small bag in the basket of the ECV or a bag I can hang from the seat back. We travel light: sunscreen, eyeglass cases, his hearing aid case (which I can fit in my fanny pack when his hearing aids are in it), hand sanitizer, xtra socks (in case we get wet), umbrella, rain ponchos. Any recommendations for a bag to hang off the seat? Or any other thoughts/recommendations/things that have worked? Thx
Use a bicycle lock to fasten a "strongbox" made out of a cooler or a lockable metal file box to the scooter tiller and rest the box on the scooter deck in front of your feet. I've tried to hang a bag from the arm rest but it makes the scooter too wide for doorways, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter