• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bag to carry at WDW

Beetuna

Earning My Ears
Hi folks, a Disney Husband here...

I saw a few threads on this but they were a bit old and some of the links weren't working.

We've been to WDW a few times, but always in the Oct-Dec time frame. About to enter the blistering heat of an August trip!

As such, I am trying to decide what to do about carrying a bag. I've done a full backpack in the past but it gets pretty hot quickly, and has a lot of extra room. I don't really want anything too feminine to carry, though. :) My wife may or may not carry a purse, so everything might be in the bag.

I'd be looking to carry ponchos, extra sunscreen, maybe a portable battery pack, and some bottles of water. And maybe some portable fans or misters that seem to be popular. Additionally, I have a camera I want to carry, which is a mirrorless Olympus... a little bigger than your pocketable point-and-shoot, but not quite DSLR size.

You know--the usual stuff.

Can't bring myself to fanny pack. Sorry. :P

Please let me know if you have any thoughts!

I had a sling bag or cross chest strap bag whatever you call it. Good thing was it carried a lot but also can easily rest on your lap without removing it like a backpack. Less sweaty too

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753FZRTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought 2 of these for our upcoming trip they fit alot and are very light weight

I think you might like something like this http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/s...68?showProducts=&sizetype=&size=#ReviewHeader ($15 on sale!) I order the 10L and it was to small for me to carry about the same about of things but I think the 20L would be perfect for a trip. I found shopping in person a bag as was easier for me. It allowed me to determine how well the bag fit on my shoulders before spending the money!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I am a little concerned that a full backpack might be too sweat inducing--what do you think?

I had a sling bag or cross chest strap bag whatever you call it. Good thing was it carried a lot but also can easily rest on your lap without removing it like a backpack. Less sweaty too

Do you remember what kind it was? Was it something like a one-shoulder pack, or more like a messenger bag?

I dislike the sling bags due to it cutting off my chest. So unless you are extreamly flat chested you will have some issues lol.

We used this bag during the hottest days in the park. It holds two water bottles and everything you listed. Most important, it is so lightweight(6.5 ozs)! Love this bag. No sweaty backs. We also carried wet washcloths in baggies with small ice chillers to refresh ourselves. I put everything in Ziplocs bags to remove easily for security. Hope this helps.
https://www.amazon.com/HIKPRO-Unise...522288183&sr=1-9&keywords=ultralight+backpack

Keep us posted on what you decided! I went with a small backpack to prevent overheating Igor our July trip! Bags and shoes are always hard to me to find! I feel like Goldilocks when trying to find something just right!

We used this bag during the hottest days in the park. It holds two water bottles and everything you listed. Most important, it is so lightweight(6.5 ozs)! Love this bag. No sweaty backs. We also carried wet washcloths in baggies with small ice chillers to refresh ourselves. I put everything in Ziplocs bags to remove easily for security. Hope this helps.
https://www.amazon.com/HIKPRO-Unise...522288183&sr=1-9&keywords=ultralight+backpack

Thanks. So you put like, freezer ice packs? How did you freeze them? Not sure if that is what an 'ice chiller' is. Have you tried those "cooling towels?" I wonder if those are any good.

Here it is, holds water bottle, one big zippered compartment, little pouches inside
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTE4N0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, have you tried this one? How was it? Since you can't swap it, does your one shoulder get tired?

Thanks. So you put like, freezer ice packs? How did you freeze them? Not sure if that is what an 'ice chiller' is. Have you tried those "cooling towels?" I wonder if those are any good.

Thanks, have you tried this one? How was it? Since you can't swap it, does your one shoulder get tired?

The ice chillers are small lunchbox size ice packs. We kept them in our insulated lunch box in the room with ice each night. We tried adding the soft sided lunchbox to the backpack, but it was too bulky.They last a couple hours. We used to have a juice box insulated cover that would make them last longer too. We've tried the cooling towels. Not a fan. Too bulky on my neck. We even tried cutting them in half lengthwise. They just felt uncomfortable. We used small hand held fans ( and packed rechargeable batteries). The last time we were there in September, we had salt marks on our clothes! It was crazy hot!

The ice chillers are small lunchbox size ice packs. We kept them in our insulated lunch box in the room with ice each night. We tried adding the soft sided lunchbox to the backpack, but it was too bulky.They last a couple hours. We used to have a juice box insulated cover that would make them last longer too. We've tried the cooling towels. Not a fan. Too bulky on my neck. We even tried cutting them in half lengthwise. They just felt uncomfortable. We used small hand held fans ( and packed rechargeable batteries). The last time we were there in September, we had salt marks on our clothes! It was crazy hot!

Thanks for the info. What fans do you use?

Hmm? It can be swapped, you unhook it at the bottom and use the other ring.

Are you sure? The strap does not look straight, seems to be curved.

Thanks for the info. What fans do you use?

We use this inexpensive one. https://www.walmart.com/ip/O2COOL-Carabiner-Misting-Fan-Blue/43980205
It can spray a mist too. It's not the most powerful fan, but it does the job. The ones sold in the park are very big and blow a lot harder. We like the compactness of the one. There are lots to choose from. Check out local stores like 5below, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, or the internet for other handheld battery fans. Hope this helps!

Are you sure? The strap does not look straight, seems to be curved.

Have never used the cooling towels at Disney as we've never gone at a overly hot time of year. However we have used them at home and feel they help. We have mission towels.

Have never used the cooling towels at Disney as we've never gone at a overly hot time of year. However we have used them at home and feel they help. We have mission towels.

We used them on our last trip there, as we always go in July when we go (ugh). I thought they were great because we could wet them anywhere. My husband kept his around his neck. Some are larger in size, and you may want to cut them in half. I say they are worth it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I am a little concerned that a full backpack might be too sweat inducing--what do you think?
Do you remember what kind it was? Was it something like a one-shoulder pack, or more like a messenger bag?
My Wife and I each have one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BJBIRW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is roomy, has a water bottle pocket, easy to carry, padded where it could rub on you, has a bunch of pockets, and you can rest it on your lap when sitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter