Bag Check! Ive had enough of it.

This was possibly the iPhone "key" which is needed to open the back of the phone. Other phones need this as well.

I just googled it - none of the objects to remove backs of phones look like what he had. It was about 5inches long, 1 inch wide one end and the last inch or so flared out wider and it was quite thick. Looked heavy too. I'm not saying it was anything naughty, it was just odd. Calling his wifes phone 'special' was odd too.

Actually, I find the security check somewhat unsanitary. The guards keep poking that stick think and their flashlight in everyone's belongings. Who knows where those things have been or what they've touched before they use it them your bags? The guards all wear protective gloves, so there's no issue for them.

Maybe but the whole park has cooties, really. Lap bars, door handles, sink taps, fabric seats, straw dispensers, fountains :lmao:. I'm pretty sure that the flashlights used to look into bags have no more 'germs' than many, many other surfaces at WDW. The stories that surfaces at WDW could tell! I'm sure there is not one square inch of WDW from which you couldn't swab fecal material. Seriously.

I don't mind the lines other than it takes some time I'd rather be doing something else. Going without a bag is so freeing.

How do you guys do it without bags?

We'll stay offsite, so no KTTW for us We'll bring in our tickets, cell phone, camera, money or credit card and possibly snack. When going to Epcot, DD would have to bring their drivers license in order to have a special Disney drink in the World Showplace. (Would they card this 53 year old Grandma? I know some states require carding of everyone).

For me, it's either find a baggy pair of pants with a lot of pockets, or bring a bag.

Like other posters have said, it's more of a visual deterrent than anything. If you don't like bag check, don't bring a bag. If you have to bring a bag then just prepare yourself and know you're probably going to have to wait. I understand the frustration but there's nothing you can do about it. :confused3

Its Monday and I need to vent a little. I would like to first say that that I have no desire to offend anyone or turn this thread into one of those arguing threads. If you believe the bag checks keep you safe at Disney then I respect that. I however find them to be more of a hassle than anything else. I was at Epcot Thursday and the line to get through bag check was crazy. I then competed in the Wine and Dine Marathon this weekend. After running for two hours I just wanted to get into Epcot and relax. Instead I was forced to wait in a long line to go through bag check. Really what could someone who just ran 13.1 miles and is exhausted possibly bring into the parks???

Also what are you looking for? Guns? Not possible since you can bring that on you. A Bomb? Again your wasting your time considering that in the world we live in a bomb can be in your shoes/underwear. Also the security guards (nothing against them bless their hearts. They are usually older Disney employees I love them) however what kind of job are they doing. All they do is glance inside the bag no thorough check is even done. So what is the point of this check? We all know if someone wanted to get something inside they probably could anyways. So yes Disneys intentions are good but they are doing a mediocre job at it. Its causing more of an inconvenience then the safety preventative is meant to be.

are you saying you are upset you had to wait in a line at a theme park? maybe they should have fast pass for bag check too.

While I don't agree necessarily with bag check, it does serve a few important roles. Imagine the following without bag check:

-Teenagers bringing booze into the park (and in glass bottles none the less, which would be a problem)
-Adults bringing booze into the MK (which I'm sorry after seeing drunk people at Food and Wine this year literally trying to scare the crap out of kids and thinking it was funny, I'm not quite for)
-Weapons. Sure I could put one on my person, but I could put 10 in a bag if I knew it wasn't going to be checked.

It's not a huge deterrent, but it is one on some levels. And it's FAR better than the invasive TSA level alternative.

I can understand that they need to check bags, even if its just a cursory check, but I never fail to get behind someone with several jam packed bags who then has to pull more bags out from under their stroller. I wish they had a "1 bag" line kind of like the grocery store since I carry one tiny (maybe 6 in. by 6 in.) bag that they glance in for a second.

Last month, my husband was waiting for me to go through bag check and a security guard actually asked to check his coat pockets. He said that he just felt them, didn't look inside. I had never seen them do this before so I guess they do visually scan people without bags.

We'll stay offsite, so no KTTW for us We'll bring in our tickets, cell phone, camera, money or credit card and possibly snack. When going to Epcot, DD would have to bring their drivers license in order to have a special Disney drink in the World Showplace. (Would they card this 53 year old Grandma? I know some states require carding of everyone).

For me, it's either find a baggy pair of pants with a lot of pockets, or bring a bag.

Cargo shorts/pants or a jacket with decent pockets is what does it for a lot of people. I like having a bag, even a small one, for a little extra security for my things and for items I might pick up along the way like photos, souvenirs, snacks, maps etc. I just bought a nice, small cross body bag that'll hold just enough. :goodvibes

I went to disney for the 1st time this fall.

I had a small fabric bag i used to carry camera, cell phone, water bottle and KTTW ect...

I handed one item to each kid- folded up bag and put in my husband's cargo shorts pocket.

We were able to avoid bag check- :)
We stayed on property and our kids are past diapers, clothes change ect... so it was easy for us.

I have a little zipper pouch on my keyring, which holds my driver's license, credit card, annual pass, and hotel room key, etc. That goes in left pocket, phone in right pocket usually.

I can understand that they need to check bags, even if its just a cursory check, but I never fail to get behind someone with several jam packed bags who then has to pull more bags out from under their stroller. I wish they had a "1 bag" line kind of like the grocery store since I carry one tiny (maybe 6 in. by 6 in.) bag that they glance in for a second.

Last month, my husband was waiting for me to go through bag check and a security guard actually asked to check his coat pockets. He said that he just felt them, didn't look inside. I had never seen them do this before so I guess they do visually scan people without bags.

People carrying too much into the parks annoy me more than anything. On occassion I take a small cross body bag that takes two seconds to look at. I have been stuck many times behind people with strollers with multiple bags with multiple pockets. Why so much stuff? It is a few hours in an amusement park, not a two week desert excursion.

I did Disney since my daughters were born. It was one diaper bag and a stroller for them.

People carrying too much into the parks annoy me more than anything. On occassion I take a small cross body bag that takes two seconds to look at. I have been stuck many times behind people with strollers with multiple bags with multiple pockets. Why so much stuff? It is a few hours in an amusement park, not a two week desert excursion.

I did Disney since my daughters were born. It was one diaper bag and a stroller for them.

I agree. While I get the need for a diaper bag, people tend to over pack. We used to take a one shoulder strap backpack and even that was too big. (although we still take that to other amusement parks for towel/water park purposes)

This past trip for the first time I actually saw a "real" security gaurd near the bag check line. He looked like any other guest but with an earpiece. My question is has anyone actually ever seen one of these "real" security guards pull someone out of the line and what is their process of "checking out" the "suspicious" people?

We were waiting for my friend's brother and he was taking an inordinate amount of time. Turns out they pulled him aside because he had a huge keychain in his pocket. They questioned him for a while and then let him go.

No baggy pants, just normal pants or shorts with pockets in them... generally jeans. Change purse sized wallet with all my cards (It's actually a Disney fabric one) and phone in one pocket, keys in the other. If I have a camera I either wear it around my neck or carry it with me. No need for a bag and it's so nice to not have to go through bag check or worry about what to do with the bag on rides.

But I've never been much of a purse person either. I just stick my little change purse in my pocket and off I go to the store.

The bag checks are absolutely needed there or anywhere, while you say it is an inconvenience to have your bag checked imagine the I convince it would be to be hurt by someone who brought something in their bag! Not all acts like that are pre planned some are done based on current anger and not well thought out. If this is not done then you are opening the flood gates for a myriad of issues which would ruin the experience for everyone. And not all of the bag check is checking the bag it's self you also use that time to evaluate the guests demeanor if they appear nervous coming to the back check they are problem up to something. But that is just my .02

Just wondering, but do other theme parks require bag checks? We have been to Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, and Cedar Point and I don't remember having bag checks at any of them. If other places can operate without them and don't have issues with weapons, booze, and such, why not Disney??

Another quick question, if you use a clear bag will they just look at it or will you still have to open it/take things out? Anybody have experience with using a clear bag at Disney? Thanks!

It does seem a bit annoying but after 9/11 I for one appreciate the extra security! It's for our safety so I'm not going to complain!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

A lanyard will hold your room key, license and CC. Now I don't carry a camera much, just use my phone.

Just wondering, but do other theme parks require bag checks? We have been to Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, and Cedar Point and I don't remember having bag checks at any of them. If other places can operate without them and don't have issues with weapons, booze, and such, why not Disney??

Another quick question, if you use a clear bag will they just look at it or will you still have to open it/take things out? Anybody have experience with using a clear bag at Disney? Thanks!

We went to Cedar Point this past August and I don't remember having a bag check. They do have bag check at Kings Island but it's been pretty lax over the past couple of years. They have metal detectors but I'm fairly certain they're not on anymore.

On our last trip, I actually had several CMs take a much longer time checking my backpack, as they were having me practically take all my items out until they could see the very bottom of the bag, whereas before I used to get a quick glance and the ok to go through. I also didn't notice the CMs using the sticks like they used to, so maybe that is why. Although only some of them did this more thorough check, not all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter