• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

bad service and rude waiters

I have only ever once had a bad experience at WDW (at Kona - waitress seemed to hate everything about everything and we were brought the wrong meals TWICE, AFTER we had been ignored for over a half an hour!) and we simply and calmly asked another server going by for a manager. The manager was nothing but friendly and helpful! He took care of us himself for the rest of our meal (we never even saw the original server again!) and didn't charge our DDP credits for our lunch. You can never expect anything but the best with Disney service. I've never had an issue they haven't made right!

Immediately request that the manager be brought to your table. Be polite and unemotional when you inform him of your problem.

DO NOT wait until the end of your meal, or even more useless, until you send an email complaint after you get home.

What is your advice of dealing with them?

You need to request the manager immediately when the issue arises.
Having seen the behind the scenes of the restaurant business and culinary world with my family's businesses, end of meal complaints and post meal complaints have VERY little validity.
If you wait until the end of a meal, you will be written off as a diner trying to get a discount or a free meal. The server will not be reprimanded or even confronted and management will right you off as being petty.
If you send an e-mail in later, this has more validity than complaining at the end of the meal because it will appear you just didn't want to be confrontational or felt embarrassed to inaccurately be judged as "that table". However, what did it resolve? Nothing and your meal/experience was still a failure. It also leaves the staff member able to defend themselves without your counter and without management really able to assess if the complaint was valid. A server complaint is going to be brushed off, while a complaint about seating or food delivery time is something that they can verify based off of your receipt and date.

Everyone has had poor service at some point or another, but as for rude servers, I rarely encounter that. Being rude as a server is monetary suicide, it's almost always the table's demeanor resulting in a rude server and a server outlook of, "Oh well, I could tell they weren't going to tip anyway." Fake smiles and friendliness is vital in serving, so for someone to surrender their tip by being rude, something personal is either going on with them or there's something with the guests.

Anyway, contacting management immediately is the ONLY acceptable option. Your situation will be resolved and you'll get a new server, which everyone wins. Instead of a guest biting their tongue, being miserable, having a poor experience and then stiffing the server (which I have no problem with if it's not resolved), you'll have the dinner saved and you'll get someone worthy of a tip (hopefully) so you're not forced to tip a horrible server in order to not punish the staff that they tip out.

Not saying you are, but if you're encountering rude waiters/servers occasionally and at mid-level or better restaurants, it may not be a staff issue... Bad service yes, rude staff? Not so much...

Last edited:
What is your advice of dealing with them?

As everyone else is saying, get the manager immediately. They don't want bad PR going out or a bad report coming in from when they were at the helm, so to speak. They'll do everything they can, but sometimes the damage is already done and there's not much that can be a consolation.

I have only ever once had a bad experience at WDW (at Kona - waitress seemed to hate everything about everything and we were brought the wrong meals TWICE, AFTER we had been ignored for over a half an hour!) and we simply and calmly asked another server going by for a manager. The manager was nothing but friendly and helpful! He took care of us himself for the rest of our meal (we never even saw the original server again!) and didn't charge our DDP credits for our lunch. You can never expect anything but the best with Disney service. I've never had an issue they haven't made right!

It's funny you say that. We had the same thing happen with us at Kona. Our server was in and out, but never paid attention once we reminded her that we had allergies. Needless to say we didn't need a manager for the experience, but once we left, got sick before we even reach the Grand Floridian, and then made a call to Kona once we got home, we found that the CHEF and SERVER were both in the wrong...

Never had a rude CM or service at WDW............and I also to seem remember this as another repeat of a negative post.

AKK

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter