• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad room at AKL?

weluv M&M

Hooked on Disney
We will be arriving at AKL for the first time this weekend. We have stayed at other deluxe resorts enough to know that there are some rooms/locations that are "more desireable than others. We also know that while a room doesn't make or break your vacation it can make it a little more enjoyable. ALL that being said......:idea: is there a location or room that we should be warned about at AKL. We have a pool view room with bunks booked. I know there is quite a bit of construction. I don't want to fall for the "you've been upgraded" trick and get a room that is overlooking nothing but construction either. Any advice from all you loyal AKL fans would be appreciated:worship:

I'm interested in this as well...just trying to figure out the "ins" and "outs" of this resort business! :)

I have the same room reserved and was wondering if they offered me a view of the animals should I take it. Someone said the construction is on the opposite side of the building from where the pool is so I am interested in hearing the answers.

:goodvibes bump:goodvibes
It seems there are atleast three posters who would like to find out info on this subject.......:dance3:

Anyone care to share?:rolleyes1

bump!!

There are now 5 people that want to find out the answer to this question!!:lmao:
We are going in 7 weeks and wondered this myself!

We stayed at AKL in February 2007. Our room was probably around 4104: the floor right below concierge and essentially straight over the front door a few floors below. My guess is this room is about the worst at AKL- the view from the balcony is of the roof of the covered drive through and the food area for the concierge was right above our heads one floor up. That was a problem because we were awakened very early every morning as they began to get the food ready and items were dropped constantly on the floor (were they serving hard boiled bowling balls? sure sounded like it) This also happened during the afternoon when we tried to put our toddler down for a nap. Needless to say, our two children never did have a good night's rest.

If you wonder why I didn't say anything to the front desk, it is because we were booked at ASMo and were told when we tried to check in that we were being moved to AKL because the ASMo overbooked. I felt like being in the worst room at AKL was just fine since I was paying the Value price.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but that's my 2 cents.

I have no idea where the worst rooms are, but we love our room..it was 3435 (Zebra trail, Arusha Savannah) and the construction were on the other side of the building and we didn't hear any noise or anything at all. The view was great, and there were plenty of animals (zebras, giraffe...etc) and pretty close to the building especially early in the morning, and the evenings. We also had a room with bunk beds.

I think any pool view rooms are going to be good :thumbsup2
You are smart, though, to bring up the "upgrade trick" b/c you could be put in a savannah view room that has unattractive views.
Try not to worry.
What you want to look out for IF you were to be upgraded to SV from your PV is Sunset Savanna view rooms. If you are upgraded to a SV on the Uzima or Arusha you would be fine.
Pool view at AKL is great :cutie: b/c it puts you close to everything (pool, obviously, Mara (food court), arcade, kids' club, laundry, even the lobby.)

HAVE FUN. AKL is incredible!!

With pool view rooms you do NOT have to worry about construction. There is only 1 pool and that is on the Arusha savanna side. The only rooms you do not probably want are going to be the ones above Boma (Zebra trail) which basically have a 20% view of the pool and 80% view of the awning. Look at the map: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/aklmap.htm Anything above Boma/Victoria Falls will have a pretty awful view of the pool. I was temporarily moved to a pool-view room during my last visit and was given a location above Boma which was pretty bad.

When looking at the map, the words "Zebra trail" are written on the map on the hall that i'm referencing; this is the section that has the awning. The first rooms start with the following sequence "2407-2421". Not sure if the even or the odd rooms are the ones above Boma.

Kudu trail rooms really come in to flavors.. preferred savanah view which is fine and standard savanah view which is crap. The standard consist of a what I would call an dirty alley which the animals use to go to and from their holding area and the actual savanah (which is only viewable from the preferred savanah rooms)... taking a standard savanah view would not in my opinion be an upgrade from a pool view of any type... if they offer an upgrade only take it if it is a preferred view... standard would be a step down.

We just got back from our stay at AKL. We were in Room 2022 on Giraffe trail. It turned out to be a great room. If you don't have your heart set on savannah view this is a great choice. It has a great view of the pool. Up one flight of stairs and down the hall is the lobby. Down one set of stairs and out past the pool is Mara for drinks and food. There was also a door to the walkway that leads out to the bus stops located up one flight of stairs. It is a good central location to all the resort amenities. Don't go too far down the griaffe trail, though. The outdoor smoking area is underneath the balconies on the end.:thumbsup2

I was there last month. The construction is on the Sunset Savanna side.

I've never heard of the preferred savannah view and standard savannah view. Is the price the same? Which areas are preferred?

I was there last month. The construction is on the Sunset Savanna side.

I've never heard of the preferred savannah view and standard savannah view. Is the price the same? Which areas are preferred?

There is no listing for preferred savannah view rooms at the AKL. Standard savannah view rooms refer to standard size rooms. Before DVC took over the 5th and 6th floors, there were deluxe savannah view rooms, which were larger.

There is no listing for preferred savannah view rooms at the AKL. Standard savannah view rooms refer to standard size rooms. Before DVC took over the 5th and 6th floors, there were deluxe savannah view rooms, which were larger.

I should have quoted his post, what is thomas998 referring to?

"Kudu trail rooms really come in to flavors.. preferred savanah view which is fine and standard savanah view which is crap. The standard consist of a what I would call an dirty alley which the animals use to go to and from their holding area and the actual savanah (which is only viewable from the preferred savanah rooms)... taking a standard savanah view would not in my opinion be an upgrade from a pool view of any type... if they offer an upgrade only take it if it is a preferred view... standard would be a step down."

I should have quoted his post, what is thomas998 referring to?

"Kudu trail rooms really come in to flavors.. preferred savanah view which is fine and standard savanah view which is crap. The standard consist of a what I would call an dirty alley which the animals use to go to and from their holding area and the actual savanah (which is only viewable from the preferred savanah rooms)... taking a standard savanah view would not in my opinion be an upgrade from a pool view of any type... if they offer an upgrade only take it if it is a preferred view... standard would be a step down."

I'm not sure what he is referring to.:confused3 I do know that one side of Kudu Trail faces the Arusha Savannah (I would stay in one of those rooms). I don't know what savannah the other side of Kudu Trail faces.

Wow - I just learned alot bout the rooms here I will definatly take some notes before checking in.

Rooms off Kudu Trail with a view of the Sunset Savannah are the construction view rooms right now. We were there two weeks ago and walked to the end of the Kudu Trail on the 5th floor and went out the exit door. I wouldn't take a room in the 2341-5366 section. That would not be an upgrade! It just looks rough back there...construction and that barn. We saw a bunny!
Back in Feb. we were "upgraded" from a std.room to Sunset savannah view. It was #4316. Lots of construction noise off the balcony. And a people pen below. We've stayed here a lot and it was a business trip so the view didn't bother us...but if it was my first time it wouldn't have been too impressive.
Recent stay we were in std (we just had to stay two more nights!) Only connecting rooms available for me and my 6 teenagers was 3033 and 3035. Balcony view was roof...could have crawled out on it! just at the end of Giraffe trail. Very convienent to lobby and pool. No view but wasn't expecting one. And a previous poster was right about the smoking area on the other side of Giraffe Trail, strangely located just beyond the Fitness center entrance?! Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter