Bad Grades

Uuaww said:
Oh yeah? I never hear of employers asking, "oh can we get a copy of your trascripts by the way?" They care about the degree, and if you read my post on what I have to deal with then you'd know that unlike many, I am putting in my own money to pay for college, so don't go telling me how I am not putting in much. I may not be giving 100% in the classroom, but I damn well earned the right not to by just getting there. College is a time to have fun, I earned it.

Completely agree with you. I'm paying for my college too -basically because I saw the hell my parent's put my older brother through about grades and money. I wasn't going to let them do that to me.

Things are incredibly tight now (I've got.. oh, $4 bucks in the bank and $800 dollars outstanding on my Credit Card (books and gas and such) and about $2500 in loan money to pay back, just after the first year but it's worth it to me.

I've had a lot of people look down on me for choosing to do it myself and it really pisses me off. Other people assume I'm living in the lap of luxury (I just took a 6 day trip to WDW with my brother, completely on me) and letting my parent's pay for everything..
What they don't know is that I worked two jobs while I was in school to pay for that trip. One job for the trip, one job for school.
Neither of those employers ever asked for a Transcript, either.

I'm here to tell you that your transcripts most likely will be looked at. All job applications I have ever filled out wanted to know you GPA.

well maybe over there, but so far, ALL jobs any of my sisters or cousins (most in the same field as me) applied for, so far a big fat ZERO have ever asked for transcripts. maybe your applying to grad school and don't even realize it, i wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah.. you know.. My dad works for a major, major company here and has a lot of say in hiring *as he runs half the plant* Just asked him- Nope, if you've got the degree- you've got the degree. His company, or him, don't care what your grades are.

Same thing from my cousin who manages a pharmacy.. my mom who is an accountant....

Just where are you applying to?

From how I understand it, you'll never need to give a transcript to get a job (I sure haven't ever been asked for one) but if you're applying for the type of job where you need to give them a resume, it wouldn't hurt to put your GPA on the resume (if it's good) but you can still leave it off if it's bad, and it wouldn't really adversly affect you.

I've had one potential job ask for my transcript. They didn't look at it for the grades though, they wanted to see all the classes I took. If they cared about the grades I probably wouldn't have gotten the job.

Joanna71985 said:
I was really afraid that i had failed a class because it was REALLY hard to understand and the professor was REALLY bad at teaching. Anyhoo, I ended up getting a D in the class. I think that was the closest I've come to failing a class :goodvibes ).

Trust me I know all about not being able to understand professors. Most of mine had horrible accents. It was tough. And others just didn't care whether you passed or failed, as long as they got to do their research. Try becoming friends with older students who have the same major as you. A lot of the time they can help you with the class and they have good notes. Or maybe even stay in touch with a professor who can help you. I had a professor who was great at teaching and was very helpful. I knew that even if I wasn't taking his class I could come to him for help. Be friendly to everyone, you'd be surprised at all the help you can get.

Speaking of professors you can't understand. In two years at my university, I think I have only had 3 clear English speaking people. It so frustrating! And then you start to wonder why you are even going to class when you can't understand a word that they are saying. You'd think when you are spending as much as you are, that they would require ENGLISH when teaching college in America.

you need above a 2.0 I believe to do the CP, but I agree with someone above that said that if you have below a 2.0 that you have bigger things to worry about, although at the current moment, I have bigger things to worry about :(

In my university, in my major we were required to maintain a 3.0 to recieve our "proffesional" degree (architecture). This degree is required to take the exam to become an architect. So either you got a 3.0 in major classes (2.75 overall) or you went to grad school to get a Masters so you could take the exam. But what grad school would take you with a 2.8?

So, my employer never asked for a GPA, but my degree gaunteed a certain level...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter