Bad experiences in kids clubs and/or Flounder's?

seafarer71

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever had a negative experience at the kids clubs or Flounder's Reef on the Wonder? My wife and I are about to take our first cruise since having kids, and are planning on using both facilities.

I have heard MANY positive things, but am protective of my children, and am slightly nervous about leaving them with "strangers" whom I know nothing about.

I am sure that, like everything else, they are not perfect. I saw the thread below about an injury in the club, but I am looking for a broader range of feedback (not just injuries) regarding any less than perfect experiences.

You have to remember that while Disney does have loads of procedures in place to keep your kids safe and happy, it's still basically day care. Accidents can happen.

Our twin :hug: sons have some emotional/behavior issues. We :chat: discussed them with the club counselors at length. The second day we went to pick up one of our twins [the other one was swimming with his sister] the counselor called his name...went :3dglasses looking for him and could not find him. :sad2: They looked all over...called the other club since they had been playing on the :surfweb: computers for free time and again nothing. They then called the other counselor who was on a lunch break to verify if they had seen him...and nothing. At this point we all were :scared1: WORRIED. They then called the club manager [?] I really don't remember who the gentleman was I was worried :sick: sick, suddenly there seemed to be people everywhere, and they all went off looking for my son..and My hubby went back to the cabin to check for him there. To make a long story short DH eventually found him, up on deck nine watching the giant tv and eating some chicken strips and fry's.

It seems as if a younger child called my son a few :mad: names then grabbed his arm and bit him. My son was :sad1: VERY upset and went to tell someone at the desk, but apparently they were distracted so he walked right out. He decided to come get me, but in his route to find me decided he was hungry and veered towards the :stir: food. Hubby took him and his food back to the club to let everyone know to stop the search. After a lot of :flower3: apologizing from the manager down, we did not allow our son to go back to the club for the rest of the trip. They actually called our cabin a few times and asked if he wanted to come play and PROMISED they would not let him out of their site, and while I was willing to try again my son was :scared: NOT.

This may sound odd to many of you, but we were not mad, we are used to our boys, but we were sad/worried. Worried for the obvious reasons, and sad because we had talked to them at length about our boys and they dropped the ball BIG TIME. I mean what if something BAD would have happened to my son?? I can't even :sad1: :sad1: think about it..I assumed he would be safe there and he wasn't. I am also mad at myself that I let it happen. Now please remember our boys are not "normal" kids and I'm sure other kids who understand the rules and not have such sever emotional issues are fine, so I'm sure your children will do :dance3: AWESOME. Enjoy your cruise!!!

As I mentioned in my OP, I am not necessarily concerned with accidents/injuries. I agree that those can happen anywhere. What I am looking for are instances where perhaps a rude counselor was encountered, a child was ignored or treated poorly, bad attitudes were observed, kids could not be located (like the story about the twins above), etc. I do realize that Disney provides great programs for children with quality employees, and has many procedures and safeguards in place. But as the above post states, things can happen regardless.

They "lost" my DD (she was 3) in the kids club on the Magic...she had falling asleep on the toilet and although they walked in and looked (so did I) and said "anyone in here" - no one answered and the stall was closed. After about 10 minutes and mom starting to FREAK out, a manager came and said "is this your daughter?". I ran in to the bathroom to find her asleep on the throne with a stinker in the toilet.

After I got her cleaned up and back to the room I went back to talk to them about it. Since they didn't know when she went in there, they didn't know how long she had been there. I was NOT happy. Now I had checked in on her at 8pm to make sure she was ok and when we came back at 9pm, this happened.

I understand their policy with not going into the bathrooms, but I didn't understand why every 15 minutes 2 CMs couldn't make a quick check.

With that all being said on our last cruise (last month) - the incident happened 3 years ago) my kids never wanted to leave!!! But I did not let them stay in later than 8pm and I sure checked on them often!!! All CMs were great both times, but stuff happens and I understand that.

No, nothing. Three cruises and my kids all beg to go in, then stay in. (On the first one my son did go to Flounders once or twice-- the other two they've all been Oceaneer's Club or Lab.) My sensitive, outgoing oldest DD cried at the farewell Lab on our Jun 2008 cruise. She had made a couple friends but really, really bonded with a couple counselors. They wrote their "autographs" and farewell messages to her on a paper and she still cherishes it.

I feel so lucky-- some of my friends' kids prefer to stay with them. These cruises are excellent for our family because DH and I actually get some time to hang out together. I have thought of cruising with other lines (dying to do Alaska) but while my kids are younger, I just can't imagine trusting the Kids' Staff to handle things as well as they do on DCL...

The biggest issue I have with our 8 year old was getting her OUT....some nigth we'd show up at 11:45pm and she told us to come back she is still busy playing...of course the one nigth they had a 11:45pm ice cream party.....loads of fun!!

:dance3: :dance3:

If you ask for bad experiences, eventually someone is going to post one and then what? We've had nothing but good experiences with the clubs (never used Flounder's) and most of the reports are very positive. I'd go with that and not let one or two reports of problems steer you away from the clubs, unless that's what you want to do and you're just looking for a reason.

The biggest issue I have with our 8 year old was getting her OUT....some nigth we'd show up at 11:45pm and she told us to come back she is still busy playing...of course the one nigth they had a 11:45pm ice cream party.....loads of fun!!

:dance3: :dance3:

I have to agree with CanadianDisneyDad as that was our problem last year with DD11. She didn't want to leave! We went to the Bahamas and she actually asked when we were going back to the ship. :rotfl2:

No matter how good something is perfection is hard to reach. We explained the rules to DD11 before she went in. 1. You must tell someone when you want to go to the bathroom 2. if you want to leave ask a CM to page us. There is no option for leaving on your own. If she doesn't know that it is an option, which I believe you have to be 12 before you can sign yourself out, then she is not going to miss it. We are VERY firm on this rule and it keeps us all happy believe it or not.:dance3:

If you ask for bad experiences, eventually someone is going to post one and then what? We've had nothing but good experiences with the clubs (never used Flounder's) and most of the reports are very positive. I'd go with that and not let one or two reports of problems steer you away from the clubs, unless that's what you want to do and you're just looking for a reason.

I am not looking for a reason. I have heard of hundreds, if not thousands, of positve experiences with both the kids clubs and Flounder's, as people are eager to praise on this board. I am only seeking to see both sides before I entrust the two of the three most important people in my life to them. I always seek to learn the good and bad before making any important decision, why should this be any different??

I realize that this board is a resource for Disney fans to share, but I do not always understand the blind faith that exists here. Furthermore, I do not understand why people get so defensive of Disney, as if they cannot do any wrong, or are nothing less than perfect. For those of you who were honest and willing to share your experiences, I truly appreciate it, and any future feedback you wish to provide.

seafarer71-

Your apparent quest of empirical data I fear will not work on these boards, in part due to many of the reasons you outline above.

I'd suggest, from your own statements; that since the vast majority of your own anecdotal data lacks any meaningful "negative" issues - then perhaps it's time to take a "leap of faith" that there are not that many issues. And just proceed. If you cannot do this, then you may be happiest going on a vacation where only yourself takes care of the children.
YMMV

seafarer71 the best advice I can offer you is to make sure you sit with your children and explain to them what "YOUR" rules are as we did with our DD. I believe that the best defence is a good offence. You can check in during the day to set your mind at ease and if you see something that makes you uncomfortable let someone know as soon as possible. As I said earlier, and from reading your posts, I believe you agree, no system is perfect, however, again prior preparation / understanding is half the battle. You receive a pager from the CM's for your child when you get in. You can also give them a radio and if you are unable to get up to do a check in you can call them on the 2-way. I hope you enjoy you and your children enjoy the cruise.

I am not looking for a reason. I have heard of hundreds, if not thousands, of positve experiences with both the kids clubs and Flounder's, as people are eager to praise on this board. I am only seeking to see both sides before I entrust the two of the three most important people in my life to them. I always seek to learn the good and bad before making any important decision, why should this be any different??

I realize that this board is a resource for Disney fans to share, but I do not always understand the blind faith that exists here. Furthermore, I do not understand why people get so defensive of Disney, as if they cannot do any wrong, or are nothing less than perfect. For those of you who were honest and willing to share your experiences, I truly appreciate it, and any future feedback you wish to provide.

VERY well put - I understand looking at both sides and I only post what happened to me in the clubs IF someone asks, otherwise I keep it to myself. Stories like mine (and a few others on here) just make us moms and dads work with the clubs in different ways, not keep the kids away.

I too asked the same question you asked before we went on our first DCL cruise 3 years ago. I didn't want to keep them out, just wanted to know what to watch out for. GOOD FOR YOU FOR ASKING!!!

Wow. Someone really dropped the ball with the twin able to walk out. I'm curious how long ago that was? Just curious because I wonder if this issue (or perhaps others like it) is why they are so strict and handle the things the way they do now? I mean they keep the gates locked and won't even let a PARENT IN without asking you password/etc. even if you're not checking a child out and just want to go in or talk to your child/etc. Very strict policies on taking a child out as well. I wouldn't have dreamed a child would be able to just walk out. Scary.....

We haven't had any issues with the club or lab. The ONLY issue I have is the ages allowed in the teen stack (wish the young teens weren't with 17/18yr olds) and the fact that our younger two don't want to stay in there NEARLY as much as we thought they would. :confused3 They begged to go to daycare/preschool (it was a church daycare/preschool) when they were younger and never had a problem being babysat/etc. But I think that issue is that they just get bored when there isn't scheduled activities. Anytime it said "free time" they wanted out of there. And they don't do activity after activity usually- it's usually activity, free time, activity, free time- so you can see how we were being paged to come get them pretty frequently all the time. LOL (and the first time, DS8 at that time, didn't like it that he couldn't play on the computer except at specific times. At that time he never played on a computer at HOME- so he was all over the idea of playing on the computers) Also they did NOT like going to deck 10 to play games up there- they thought it was too hot- so anytime that was on the navigator (after the first cruise) we knew they'd be paging us and we were right. They always want to be in there during activities though. (which sometimes caused a problem when the best activities were during our late dining times. We're going to forego late dining this time and see how main dining works.)

First Disney cruise (Wonder), DD6 (DD4 at the time) had us paged numerous times. She was bored during the "free time". So, I understand the previous post. DS8 (DS6 at the time) was making friends left and right and we had to pry him away from the club. DS3 (DS1 at the time) did better in Flounder's than I had anticipated. He was always fast asleep when we'd pick him up. Either they spiked his cup or wore him out. ;)

Second Disney cruise (Magic), DD6 (DD5 at the time) and DS8 (DS7 at the time) never wanted to leave the clubs. This was a big relief to us, since DD6 had us paged at Palo on our first cruise. :headache: They usually will wait to page you if they know you are at Palo and only will page if the child is hurt. But, she was very persistent. This time, we said don't have us paged unless you are hurt. It worked. :goodvibes She had a blast and actually cried when we disembarked. DS3 (DS2 at the time) spent a few hours in Flounder's that cruise. One thing about when he was in there, there were always men CMs in there. The Director was even a man. I honestly had a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach leaving him without a female CM present. This may have been the reason for his actions on our third cruise. :sad2:

Third Disney cruise (Wonder), DS8 and DD6 again had the time of their lives. DS8 was in the Oceaneer's Club full time this cruise and even got to spend some time in the Teen Club. He thought that was cool. :cool2: DD6 made friends left and right (like her brother on our first cruise). Also, she got to spend some time in the Oceaneer's Lab and loved it. Now, onto to DS3. We had pre-booked his 10 hours online for Flounder's (He wasn't 100% potty-trained yet.). On the first night, DH and I wanted to spend some quiet time after being at the parks all week with the kids.:dance3: When we started walking down the hallway to Flounder's DS3 freaked. This is NOT like him. He's pretty friendly and goes to the girls at the child care center at the gym no problem. However, he had a look of terror in his eyes. We still dragged him in there to see if he was just being difficult. They logged him in. Then, DH and I watched him through the window. He didn't want anyone holding him and was kicking and carrying on. So, we took him out. This happened two other times. He didn't spend more than ten minutes in Flounder's that cruise. Now, we had a Palo reservation. The CMs in the Oceaneer's Club said he could come in there during our Palo dinner. He walked into the OC, no tears, no tantrum and waved Good Bye to us. He did great in there. So, it wasn't him just being a brat earlier. He didn't want to be in Flounder's. I found it really weird. We even had to walk to the movie theatre from the other directions because he wouldn't go down the hallway past Flounder's. Just our experience and I thought it was a little bizarre. Happily, he'll be in OC our next cruise and it won't be an issue anymore.

:surfweb: Jennifer

Sorry after I posted realized I had accidently posted under my daughters screen name.. I am Sftnslky ;)

I know your post was not directed to me, but wanted to interject if I could. Like the OP we also asked about the kids clubs before we orginally sailed...and NOTHING but positive post...100% happy/fuzzy/warm reports. So when the "negitive" happened to us we felt "what's wrong with us"? "EVERYONE, else NEVER had a problem". And to make matters worse our two older girls DID NOT like the clubs at all they spent a total of 3 hours in 7 days there...again we felt like we were the "bad" ones. So I WISH I would have had other posters with the courage I had to post an honest "life isn't always rosy with the Disney", then maybe I wouldn't have the feelings we do now?? But I have to say it did not stop us from going back. We will be going on our third Disney cruise this coming Sept... :cheer2: :cheer2: We just don't allow the boys to go to the clubs.

Wow. Someone really dropped the ball with the twin able to walk out. I'm curious how long ago that was? Just curious because I wonder if this issue (or perhaps others like it) is why they are so strict and handle the things the way they do now? I mean they keep the gates locked and won't even let a PARENT IN without asking you password/etc. even if you're not checking a child out and just want to go in or talk to your child/etc. Very strict policies on taking a child out as well. I wouldn't have dreamed a child would be able to just walk out. Scary.

It was Sept of 2006...and I must add that this past June of 2008 we did observe the EXTREME strictness. DH's sister and her family came with us and I went to pick up my neice [I was on the list and had the password], but becuase I am pale white :laughing: and DH and his family is African American and NOT pale :rotfl: I obviously did not look like my neice..so even though I had the password and everything..they asked Cammy "Sweetie do you know this lady"? And she was like "Yes, she is Auntie Becca"...and she walked towards the gate and they stopped her and then after looking at me, and looking at Cammy they called DH's sisters cabin just to verify :rolleyes1 that I really was who I said I was, and that I really was allowed to pick her up. After finding out that I really could pick her up the counsler apologized and said "I'm sorry we are just verifying everyone who isn't a parent" Nice recovery!!!! :lmao:

Sorry after I posted realized I had accidently posted under my daughters screen name.. I am Sftnslky ;)

I know your post was not directed to me, but wanted to interject if I could. Like the OP we also asked about the kids clubs before we orginally sailed...and NOTHING but positive post...100% happy/fuzzy/warm reports. So when the "negitive" happened to us we felt "what's wrong with us"? "EVERYONE, else NEVER had a problem". And to make matters worse our two older girls DID NOT like the clubs at all they spent a total of 3 hours in 7 days there...again we felt like we were the "bad" ones. So I WISH I would have had other posters with the courage I had to post an honest "life isn't always rosy with the Disney", then maybe I wouldn't have the feelings we do now?? But I have to say it did not stop us from going back. We will be going on our third Disney cruise this coming Sept... :cheer2: :cheer2: We just don't allow the boys to go to the clubs.

It was Sept of 2006...and I must add that this past June of 2008 we did observe the EXTREME strictness. DH's sister and her family came with us and I went to pick up my neice [I was on the list and had the password], but becuase I am pale white :laughing: and DH and his family is African American and NOT pale :rotfl: I obviously did not look like my neice..so even though I had the password and everything..they asked Cammy "Sweetie do you know this lady"? And she was like "Yes, she is Auntie Becca"...and she walked towards the gate and they stopped her and then after looking at me, and looking at Cammy they called DH's sisters cabin just to verify :rolleyes1 that I really was who I said I was, and that I really was allowed to pick her up. After finding out that I really could pick her up the counsler apologized and said "I'm sorry we are just verifying everyone who isn't a parent" Nice recovery!!!! :lmao:
Ah, so you've noticed it since the other cruise too! Our first cruise was May/June 2006 and although I thought they did fine on the precautions- I did seem to notice them being more "strict" on our 2nd cruise last summer. Atleast on the first cruise I could have sworn they let me IN without going thru any security checks- just opened it and let me in, after I told them who I was there to see (youngest DD). Then the 2nd cruise they were even doing security checks just to let us in (which btw I have no problem with EXCEPT when there is a huge back up in the line and I'm in a hurry and man was it hot in there... I'd start sweating up a storm all dressed up for dinner when all I wanted to do was touch "base" with my youngest before we went to Palo and remind her not to page us unless it's really an emergency! LOL I tried calling her over to the "wall" there... didn't work. She couldn't hear me and didn't look that way. LOL But it is good to make sure that any random stranger can't just come in to be with the kids! :scared1: )

I wonder what would have happened if your DH's sister hadn't been in her cabin to answer the phone? Hmmm LOL

I think I am one of the most paranoid, over protective Mothers around and I was REALLY aprehensive about taking my (then 5 year old) son on a Disney Cruise. I was just SURE that if I let him out of my sight, someone would throw him over the side!

On the second day of the cruise, the Mickey pool area was body to body with parents watching their kids play in the pool. My Mom stayed on one side and I stayed on the other so we could cover all of the 'exits', while he played. The slide opened up and I walked him to the line and then went around to watch him come down at the bottom. Well I kept waiting and waiting and I didn't see him. Utter panic set in. My biggest fear (other than someone throwing him overboard) was that he would jump in the Goofy pool and drown - I never said I was rational, only paranoid and over protective. :)

As I was running around the deck looking for my son, a cast member noticed my panic and asked what was wrong. I told him my son was missing. He immediately got on the phone and then asked me what my cabin number was. All I could think was that my son was WAY to young to know his cabin number and oh my goodness how were they going to search every deck of the ship! About a minute later, he asked "is your son's name Peyton"? I nearly died, I figured they 'found the body'. When he told me he was on Deck 5, I nearly had another heart attack thinking how in the WORLD he could have gotten down to Deck 5 in less than 10 minutes! The cast member asked me to follow him and we went into the Lab where he asked if there was a 'Mufasa' there. I figured that 'Mufasa' was a code word for small child thrown overboard or died from Mother's blatent neglect! The other cast member said that there was a Mufasa in the Club and we should check there. I think I made it to the Club in a record .005 seconds where I found my son was given a nice Disney t-shirt (he was after all swimming went he went missing) with a sticker on his back with 'Mufasa' on it happily playing on a cast member's lap. Apparently, he did get out of line and turned the wrong way to the Mickey pool, where a cast member found him and brought him down to the club to scan his braclet to determine who he was. We even had a page on our pager that he was down in the club for us to come get, but because we were at the pool, we left the pager in our room. Disney calls a kid whose parents are lost a 'Mufasa' so it does not scare the kids or parents! When I realized how fast they found and took care of my son, it was just SO much easier for me to relax on our vacation. We are leaving tomorrow for our 5th Disney Cruise and they are the ONLY cruise line so far with a kids club that he enjoys and I feel he is safe in.

I am sure that there are many times where something may happen, but I think that based on the numbers of kids they see each week, the odds are VERY slim.

I think I am one of the most paranoid, over protective Mothers around and I was REALLY aprehensive about taking my (then 5 year old) son on a Disney Cruise. I was just SURE that if I let him out of my sight, someone would throw him over the side!

On the second day of the cruise, the Mickey pool area was body to body with parents watching their kids play in the pool. My Mom stayed on one side and I stayed on the other so we could cover all of the 'exits', while he played. The slide opened up and I walked him to the line and then went around to watch him come down at the bottom. Well I kept waiting and waiting and I didn't see him. Utter panic set in. My biggest fear (other than someone throwing him overboard) was that he would jump in the Goofy pool and drown - I never said I was rational, only paranoid and over protective. :)

As I was running around the deck looking for my son, a cast member noticed my panic and asked what was wrong. I told him my son was missing. He immediately got on the phone and then asked me what my cabin number was. All I could think was that my son was WAY to young to know his cabin number and oh my goodness how were they going to search every deck of the ship! About a minute later, he asked "is your son's name Peyton"? I nearly died, I figured they 'found the body'. When he told me he was on Deck 5, I nearly had another heart attack thinking how in the WORLD he could have gotten down to Deck 5 in less than 10 minutes! The cast member asked me to follow him and we went into the Lab where he asked if there was a 'Mufasa' there. I figured that 'Mufasa' was a code word for small child thrown overboard or died from Mother's blatent neglect! The other cast member said that there was a Mufasa in the Club and we should check there. I think I made it to the Club in a record .005 seconds where I found my son was given a nice Disney t-shirt (he was after all swimming went he went missing) with a sticker on his back with 'Mufasa' on it happily playing on a cast member's lap. Apparently, he did get out of line and turned the wrong way to the Mickey pool, where a cast member found him and brought him down to the club to scan his braclet to determine who he was. We even had a page on our pager that he was down in the club for us to come get, but because we were at the pool, we left the pager in our room. Disney calls a kid whose parents are lost a 'Mufasa' so it does not scare the kids or parents! When I realized how fast they found and took care of my son, it was just SO much easier for me to relax on our vacation. We are leaving tomorrow for our 5th Disney Cruise and they are the ONLY cruise line so far with a kids club that he enjoys and I feel he is safe in.

I am sure that there are many times where something may happen, but I think that based on the numbers of kids they see each week, the odds are VERY slim.

My 4 year old went to the Oceaneer Club by herself (no siblings her age) and, even though she is fairly clingy, she loved the clubs and the counselors. They are very sweet with the kids from the time you meet them when they register your child and all through the cruise. I wasn't worried about the counselors -- I was worried about my daughter encountering other "mean" children or bullies. She is sensitive and a good kid -- she really gets upset though when other kids are mean or too rough. Luckily, we did not encounter any of this. The counselors were awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter