Bad experience with Thirfty at Port

carmie3377

Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.
We reserved our Thrifty one way rental from the Port to MCO about 3 months prior to sailing. First off, we had to wait for about 45 minutes for a shuttle from the port. During that time, we saw about 3 Budget shuttles. DH at that point was telling me we should have gone with Budget. I was soon thinking the same thing.

After finally arriving at the Thrifty office, we had to wait for quite some time to be helped. They noted a couple of small scratches on the condition form and DH signed off on it (sure he should of looked before but we've never had an issue before) We finally got the car only to find cigarette burns all along the driver side back door and a huge dented scratch along the passenger side (looked as if it had been keyed). I went inside and the rude associate said I should talk to the guy washing the cars. He just looked at it and walked off. I thought he was going to help us. Next thing I know he's washing cars again. I went back inside and asked for a different car. She said they had none. I told her once again about the cigarette burns and she said "Well, what do you expect me to do about that?" I told her I expected her to notate on my form about the damage. She said they already have it noted in their systems. Well, how do I know that?!?! Finally she marked it but was even reluctant to sign off on it. I then showed her the huge scratch and she said hatefully "I'm not going to mark every little scratch on this car!" and then walked off. It wasn't little at all! Also the sun visors were filthy. I took pictures as DH was ready to go and we knew we had to take this car or no car at all. Then, as we were driving back to Orlando, I noticed the registration on the car had been expired since April and it was now Dec 12! Here we are in Florida, with a car with Virginia plates expired for 8 months and we have Texas licenses. I called Thirfty and they noted everything insisting we wouldn't be responsible for any of this damage.

We've rented cars many times before and have never received anything other than a clean car with no damage. I don't know, perhaps my expectations were too high :confused3

Avis is my favorite for renting to/from the port. Quick, efficient, etc. I love the guy who owns the Cape Canaveral office. He does a great job keeping that little office running like clockwork.

Sorry you had such a rough time, but thanks for sharing the info. We are thinking of doing something similar next time we cruise. I'll know not to choose them!

We reserved our Thrifty one way rental from the Port to MCO about 3 months prior to sailing. First off, we had to wait for about 45 minutes for a shuttle from the port. During that time, we saw about 3 Budget shuttles. DH at that point was telling me we should have gone with Budget. I was soon thinking the same thing.

After finally arriving at the Thrifty office, we had to wait for quite some time to be helped. They noted a couple of small scratches on the condition form and DH signed off on it (sure he should of looked before but we've never had an issue before) We finally got the car only to find cigarette burns all along the driver side back door and a huge dented scratch along the passenger side (looked as if it had been keyed). I went inside and the rude associate said I should talk to the guy washing the cars. He just looked at it and walked off. I thought he was going to help us. Next thing I know he's washing cars again. I went back inside and asked for a different car. She said they had none. I told her once again about the cigarette burns and she said "Well, what do you expect me to do about that?" I told her I expected her to notate on my form about the damage. She said they already have it noted in their systems. Well, how do I know that?!?! Finally she marked it but was even reluctant to sign off on it. I then showed her the huge scratch and she said hatefully "I'm not going to mark every little scratch on this car!" and then walked off. It wasn't little at all! Also the sun visors were filthy. I took pictures as DH was ready to go and we knew we had to take this car or no car at all. Then, as we were driving back to Orlando, I noticed the registration on the car had been expired since April and it was now Dec 12! Here we are in Florida, with a car with Virginia plates expired for 8 months and we have Texas licenses. I called Thirfty and they noted everything insisting we wouldn't be responsible for any of this damage.

We've rented cars many times before and have never received anything other than a clean car with no damage. I don't know, perhaps my expectations were too high :confused3

I wish you would have called me for I would have walked accross the street and maybe could have helped - I know they are under new management, but am sending a copy of your post over to them for they do not realize what can happen if a good customer relation is not established.

As for Avis - I love Bob Fink at Avis and Pat at Budget - they really seem to have it together most of the time - they have had their problems, but I really believe they really try to keep problems down and if you tell them you got the information off this board, they will really try super hard to give you a rock bottom cost.
Anyhow thanks for sharing
Always
Shirley

I wish you would have called me for I would have walked accross the street and maybe could have helped - I know they are under new management, but am sending a copy of your post over to them for they do not realize what can happen if a good customer relation is not established.

As for Avis - I love Bob Fink at Avis and Pat at Budget - they really seem to have it together most of the time - they have had their problems, but I really believe they really try to keep problems down and if you tell them you got the information off this board, they will really try super hard to give you a rock bottom cost.
Anyhow thanks for sharing
Always
Shirley

Thanks Shirley. Hopefully I just caught them on a bad day and it won't happen again. I am keeping an eye on my credit card just to make sure I am not charged for this damage not done by me.

Thanks again :goodvibes!

I've not ever had a problem with Thrifty at either the port or airport, but we usually find Budget to be cheaper. Just got back, and used 2 Budget rentals one way--no problems either time. THey do have a non-smoking policy in the cars now unless you request a "smoking" car. If you smoke in a non-smoking car, you agree to a $250 charge for cleaning.

Both of our recent rentals had small scratches and door dents where another car had opened a door into them--in each case, the agent signed my copy indicating "small scratches and dents in multiple locations." THey didn't even look; just took my word for it. The cars were clean inside and reasonably clean outside. (small dirt splatters).

Thanks Shirley. Hopefully I just caught them on a bad day and it won't happen again. I am keeping an eye on my credit card just to make sure I am not charged for this damage not done by me.

Thanks again :goodvibes!

Honey, if they want to charge you for the damage, they won't charge your card, they will send you a letter, a bill, and a copy of the damage report.

Avis has screwed DH 2 times over damage, at one airport the place to pick up the cars in a dark garage and the damage was hidden anyway. The second time it was also in a dark area. He refuses to use them again, and he had been an Avis preferred customer for several years, renting from them weekly. They don't care, they just want the cash. One thing that you can do if they want you to pay, is request to see a copy of the "fixed" invoice. Some Rental agencies will charge for the same damage over and over, never getting it fixed.

No matter what company you use, you need to inspect the car very well and note all damage. If the person at the desk doesn't want to take note, have them sign your "report" anyway. If they refuse, all you can do is keep good records and hope they don't decide you are responsible.

I've not ever had a problem with Thrifty at either the port or airport, but we usually find Budget to be cheaper. Just got back, and used 2 Budget rentals one way--no problems either time. THey do have a non-smoking policy in the cars now unless you request a "smoking" car. If you smoke in a non-smoking car, you agree to a $250 charge for cleaning.

Both of our recent rentals had small scratches and door dents where another car had opened a door into them--in each case, the agent signed my copy indicating "small scratches and dents in multiple locations." THey didn't even look; just took my word for it. The cars were clean inside and reasonably clean outside. (small dirt splatters).

We rented from Budget (DTD area loacation) to the Port and our car was immaculate. Then we rented from Budget on St. Thomas and same experience, clean new car. The only reason I used Thrifty was the price was cheaper than Budget for the return. I think I'll stick with Budget. We don't smoke so the non-smoking policy is great for us!

Honey, if they want to charge you for the damage, they won't charge your card, they will send you a letter, a bill, and a copy of the damage report.

Avis has screwed DH 2 times over damage, at one airport the place to pick up the cars in a dark garage and the damage was hidden anyway. The second time it was also in a dark area. He refuses to use them again, and he had been an Avis preferred customer for several years, renting from them weekly. They don't care, they just want the cash. One thing that you can do if they want you to pay, is request to see a copy of the "fixed" invoice. Some Rental agencies will charge for the same damage over and over, never getting it fixed.

No matter what company you use, you need to inspect the car very well and note all damage. If the person at the desk doesn't want to take note, have them sign your "report" anyway. If they refuse, all you can do is keep good records and hope they don't decide you are responsible.

I just got off the phone with Thrifty again and the customer service rep I spoke to said the only damage reported on the contract is the damage that I reported. She assured me that if they were going to hold us responsible that it would be noted in the contract by now and we would have received a call. I sure hope we don't get screwed later. Glad I took pictures prior to leaving that also show the location of the rental office. That way we do have proof if needed.

Oh, and I have learned my lesson. We will never accept a car that hasn't been thoroughly inspected by one or both of us.

We use Thrifty as it's often the cheapest price I can find (although one year Hertz had a not-to-be-beaten special). The Port Canaveral office was a total mess, no one seemed to know what they were doing, and they were pretty rude to customers. The only person offering good customer service there was the woman driving the shuttle bus.

I reported this to the Corporate office and was given 2 vouchers that I can use this year. If its still this bad, I'll spend more next time. Just not worth that kind of aggravation to save a few dollars.

I am looking into renting a car for one way as well and will NOT use Thrifty due to the problems you have mentioned. Thank you for posting.

We use Thrifty as it's often the cheapest price I can find (although one year Hertz had a not-to-be-beaten special). The Port Canaveral office was a total mess, no one seemed to know what they were doing, and they were pretty rude to customers. The only person offering good customer service there was the woman driving the shuttle bus.
Agree about the shuttle lady. Although the shuttle was slow, she was very nice and extremely helpful. The only positive of the whole rental experience.

I reported this to the Corporate office and was given 2 vouchers that I can use this year. If its still this bad, I'll spend more next time. Just not worth that kind of aggravation to save a few dollars.
They are sending me 3 vouchers for $10 off too. I doubt I'll ever use them though as like you, I'll spend a few bucks more to get a pleasant rental experience.

Anyone with Hertz experience? Good or bad - want to set my expectations now, or look elsewhere... :)

We used Budget on Saturday for the one way trip back to the airport (with a little detour to the outlet malls). The two ladies behind the counter were very personable and fun. Loved them both. I had a premium car and they didn't get any delivered to them so they bumped us into a Ford Explorer with leather seats! Woohoo... but ... boy, a gas guzzler for sure.

I usually like renting from National.

One thing about rental cars in Orlando..that I've noticed. They seem to consider scratches on the car to be normal wear and tear.

One thing about rental cars in Orlando..that I've noticed. They seem to consider scratches on the car to be normal wear and tear.

That's basically what the Budget lady at MCO told me. She looked at the mileage on my car--it was 30K--and commented that I had "one of the older cars" and that they are "all full of dings." She didn't even come out and look at it...just took my word for it and signed my copy of the receipt indicating the damage.

I have a pending reservation with Avis.

My employer frequently rents from Avis and they try to have us them if they are available.

With my employer’s wizard number, something that I am allowed to use for personal use as well, it’s the lowest price right now.

Does anyone have experience with Avis in Cape Canaveral?

I can't speak to the Orlando Thrifty office, but I've crossed them off my list because of experiences with them in Calgary, and Houston. According to employees at the Calgary airport location, they take unlimited reservations without regard to what cars are available, or even IF cars are available. The Mini-van reservation I made 6 months in advance was useless, as were the reservations for mini-vans made by the 6 other folks waiting in line with me. Staff was great, they gladly dropped us off at other rental agencies who had plenty of cars available.
Had a reservation at Thrifty in Houston. They had a Camry and an Outlander on the lot. Took the Camry, but couldn't get the trunk to close, so had to take the Outlander. It was fine, but why was the Camry even in service if the trunk wouldn't close?
Hertz can be higher, but there cars seem in better shape. As of a matter of fact, I have two ex-Hertz cars sitting in front of my house right now. Bought my son an 2006 Taurus with 25,000 miles, and my daughter a 2007 Taurus with 29,000 miles. Not a scratch, stain or cigarette burn on them. And each cost less than $10,000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter