Bad experience with minutestomickey.co

spencern

Earning My Ears
I don't normally write bad reviews but I am so angry and upset I feel compelled to write this one.

Having searched for many hours for a last minute vacation for 2 weeks in March, we found a villa with minutestomickey.co through vrbo.com.

They confirmed our booking and asked for a payment form to be completed and sent back. This form asked for all our credit card details, including the verification number on the back. I am not comfortable about emailing these details and said I would fax them through the following morning (I do not have a fax machine at home and would need to do this the next day as it was late at night). In the email I also queried the pool heat, which we declined as it was too expensive.

First thing the next morning, before I even had chance to send the fax, I received an email saying they were sorry but they had received an enquiry late the night before and had let our booking go! Apparently, because I had asked a question about the villa, they did not deem me to be a serious customer! They didn't even have the courtesy to let me know they had another enquiry before taking their money.

To say I am angry is an understatement. Our vacation plans have been ruined. Bringing 2 dogs with us means our options are limited at the best of times and now they have run out completely. I have used vrbo.com many times in the past and had excellent experiences but this one management company has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

While I think the owner should have contacted you and told you if you didn't pay then, they would have to rent to the other party, this is why I have a credit card with a fairly low limit that I use for all on-line purchases. It might be something you could look into for the future.

FWIW I've provided credit card info on-line for lots of purchases and never had an issue.

I don't normally write bad reviews but I am so angry and upset I feel compelled to write this one.

Having searched for many hours for a last minute vacation for 2 weeks in March, we found a villa with minutestomickey.co through vrbo.com.

They confirmed our booking and asked for a payment form to be completed and sent back. This form asked for all our credit card details, including the verification number on the back. I am not comfortable about emailing these details and said I would fax them through the following morning (I do not have a fax machine at home and would need to do this the next day as it was late at night). In the email I also queried the pool heat, which we declined as it was too expensive.

First thing the next morning, before I even had chance to send the fax, I received an email saying they were sorry but they had received an enquiry late the night before and had let our booking go! Apparently, because I had asked a question about the villa, they did not deem me to be a serious customer! They didn't even have the courtesy to let me know they had another enquiry before taking their money.

To say I am angry is an understatement. Our vacation plans have been ruined. Bringing 2 dogs with us means our options are limited at the best of times and now they have run out completely. I have used vrbo.com many times in the past and had excellent experiences but this one management company has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Was there an agreement with you or was it upon receipt of your payment. If they had a confirmed payment by the others, but only a maybe from you I can see why they took it. Instant payment vs. a maybe fax.

If the agreement was not contingent upon receipt of payment, or the agreement you electronically signed was "held xx days until payment rec'd" then I can see a problem.

I really sympathise, it must be a terrible feeling. I know when I have hesitated with making a booking and then lost it I felt sooo bad. Hopefully you will find something suitable.

You are not the only one that protects their credit card details, however it really isn't necessary. Any unathourised transactions are always refunded by the bank, in 25yrs, I had had probably 5 dodgy transactions and never had any problems with getting my money back.

I'm sorry you lost the place you wanted to rent. I would have lost it too, I would not have sent that information to a complete stranger over the internet unless they had a secure site. It wasn't meant to be. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Snooze you lose. The economy is still horrible and these companies that manage properties aren't going to give up a guaranteed sale on the off chance you find a fax machine. A fax machine? 1993 called...they said fax machines were already obsolete back then. Did you want your receipt in triplicate using carbon paper?

Wow, you're so funny! I'm sure you email your credit card details to all and sundry. I pray for your sake your never a victim of credit card fraud.

I have no problem using my cc online but I would never send it in an email either. Hope you find a place

I'm sorry you lost the place you wanted to rent. I would have lost it too, I would not have sent that information to a complete stranger over the internet unless they had a secure site. It wasn't meant to be. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.
I wouldn't send my credit card by email either. I guess I would have lost out on the villa too. OP, I'm sorry this happened to you :(. However, I *do* see why the owner/manager took the bird in the hand v/s you in the bush.

OP, I'm so sorry you lost out on a place to stay. I hope you're able to find another one.

I use my credit card online all the time ~ on secured sites. I would never send my credit card info through email. The fact they were asking for that info through email and not a secure site makes me think you should be glad you aren't dealing with them. :)

We don't do last minute travel (I'm much too obsessive to do that :laughing:) but are there other sites you can check and possibly find something?

Good luck!

In general, a booking isn't confirmed until you send in the deposit money. Sorry you lost out on this one, but at the same time I understand where the owner is coming from.

Maybe next time calling and giving the info over the phone would make you feel more secure. If you don't like the way they do business, you can walk away. I wouldn't blame it on the owner.

Wasn't an ideal situation, and he could have given you better warning, but with a last minute res like that, I don't blame the renter for going with the most guaranteed reservation.

I know a lot of people are wary about giving out CC info or buying things on the internet, but it's 2011 - you need to adapt a little bit. Most credit card companies are good about relieving the customer of liability in the event of credit card fraud. Most offer online access so you can monitor your account for any fraudulent charges. Also, some actually give you the ability to create a temporary card # for purchases just like these.

Maybe next time calling and giving the info over the phone would make you feel more secure. If you don't like the way they do business, you can walk away. I wouldn't blame it on the owner.

Yep, this is what I did. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it in email form either. I do understand the owner's point of view too, though. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Any luck finding anything? You must want to leave soon if you said 2 weeks in March and we're already half way through.

Although I sympathize with you for losing your booking, I don't see how the Landlord is responsible for "ruining your vacation." You are attempting last minute travel; a booking that you missed one night is not they're responsibility.

I also would not have e-mailed my CC information, but I would have given it over the phone.

Last minute is a bad way to take a Disney World vacation in March. Things have been booked solid for some time. Hope you find something regardless.

My parents have a vacation home in the mountains that they rent out. You'd be surprised at how many people call or email and say they definitely want to rent it and that they will be sending their money right away. Then they drop out of sight and they're never heard from again. As landlords with expenses to cover, they have to give the booking to the person who actually produces a deposit. If they waited for most people who inquire to send a deposit, they would be out a lot of money. It's stinks for the people who are actually serious about renting, but it's the way landlords have to operate these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter