BAD Disney Experience...

I wish the CMs had been a little more customer-friendly to the OP's daughter. Did they do anything wrong? Not really. But they sure missed an opportunity to do something REALLY RIGHT--and then maybe, instead of this story the OP gave us, we'd all be posting on a thread about how fabulous Disney's customer service was. If you're WDW, which kind of press would you prefer?

VERY well put! :thumbsup2

Here's wishing your daughter a magical birthday, and you many gorgeous photos...... on a January trip full of CC guarantees, tarps, and refurbs! :wizard:

VERY well put! :thumbsup2

Here's wishing your daughter a magical birthday, and you many gorgeous photos...... on a January trip full of CC guarantees, tarps, and refurbs! :wizard:

Awww.... thanks momr2k. I've decided to have a sense of humor about it! Really might do that "tarp photo scavenger hunt." Could be fun. Maybe the trip report will be named The Trip of Tarps.

BTW was lurking on your TR earlier, beautiful work on your photos from your holiday trip! :goodvibes

OP, don't be too fussed about these responses. People on the Dis tend to be a little high strung about certain things, like critizing WDW in ANY way.

I get what you mean, they could have given your kid a sticker, pointed out the other princesses at Epcot, said that SW would be back another day, anything.

Here are my stories of disenchantment. We learned on our last trip that the security guards that check your bags entering the park are just as obnoxious and lacking in humor as airport security.

At Epcot, we got this really busy body hyper woman, and she kept shouting how she was nosey and and loved looking in everyone's bags. DH has an annoying bag with 1,000,000 compartments and she was really harrassing him about that. Then she sees that he has some Tums and she shouts out "OOHH, you must have a tummy ache--he he he he". He was quite embarrassed and if I hadn't been in a hurry to get to Soarin probably would have reported her for being inappropriate.

On our MK day, my son's magical elf Flurry had joined us at WDW and really wanted to go to the park. I had him sticking out the top of my bag. When I got up to the table and took him out to hand over my bag I jokingly sad to the guard "This is his first visit, he's from the North Pole". He replied to me "North Pole? How'd he like to be from the trash can over there?" Really, I was just joking and in a good mood that morning trying to have fun. Thankfully DS is 13, not a little kid because I imagine that a little kid would be horrified at the thought of his magical elf being thrown away :scared1:.

I don't understand what you wanted them to do. Things happen. I'm sure your child is going to face more disappointments in life...that's just how it goes. Obviously, she moved on and had a great trip and she got to eventually meet Snow White. Seriously, what is the big deal? Sure, it's upsetting to see your child upset but you explain and move on. This world is so stuck on wanting compensation for everything.

This a case where the mom needs to step up and turn it around. A 3 year old can distracted with the next magical moment. Either that or a nap is in order!

OP, don't take the flamers post to heart. Some here love to find ways to demean or criticize others. Pathetic really.

I am sorry for your daughters disappointment. Looks like she got a life lesson early.

Or you could have had an experience like mine. My last stay on property, I was down-graded from a preferred room at the Music to a standard room. First off they insisted that I had booked a standard room. When I pulled out my reservation which clearly stated preferred room, they looked stunned. Then they told me it was in part due to my late arrival (7pm) that the room I had paid for in advance, and in fact had used Advance Check in for, was gone. Like it was my fault! It took an e-mail once I was home to get the extra money for the preferred room I didn't get back. To be fair, they also gave me a bit more, but I shouldn't have had to fight for it.

:eek: You.have.to.be.kidding.me.

Now, I'm usually a laid-back kind of gal, but that would have sent me off the deep end. There is no WAY that should have ever happened. I don't mean to pry, but did they make ANY attempt to fix this problem for you?

I try really hard to be polite to customer service people, but I would have made the manager's night VERRRRYYYYY long until the problem got solved.

Here are my stories of disenchantment. We learned on our last trip that the security guards that check your bags entering the park are just as obnoxious and lacking in humor as airport security.

At Epcot, we got this really busy body hyper woman, and she kept shouting how she was nosey and and loved looking in everyone's bags. DH has an annoying bag with 1,000,000 compartments and she was really harrassing him about that. Then she sees that he has some Tums and she shouts out "OOHH, you must have a tummy ache--he he he he". He was quite embarrassed and if I hadn't been in a hurry to get to Soarin probably would have reported her for being inappropriate.

On our MK day, my son's magical elf Flurry had joined us at WDW and really wanted to go to the park. I had him sticking out the top of my bag. When I got up to the table and took him out to hand over my bag I jokingly sad to the guard "This is his first visit, he's from the North Pole". He replied to me "North Pole? How'd he like to be from the trash can over there?" Really, I was just joking and in a good mood that morning trying to have fun. Thankfully DS is 13, not a little kid because I imagine that a little kid would be horrified at the thought of his magical elf being thrown away :scared1:.

A very similiar thing happened to us :sad2:! We were visiting Animal Kingdom for the day and had sandwiches and snacks in our bags for lunch. We were staying offsite and didn't have any kind of dining plan soo we planned to eat home made lunch and then eat dinners out. Well, the bag checker told my mom "you're not saving money by doing this, I don't think they should allow people to bring food in, it just raises the ticket prices..." he went on and on to my mother about how awful it was that she brought food in for us? She was not too thrilled but bit her tounge :thumbsup2

Awww.... thanks momr2k. I've decided to have a sense of humor about it! Really might do that "tarp photo scavenger hunt." Could be fun. Maybe the trip report will be named The Trip of Tarps.

BTW was lurking on your TR earlier, beautiful work on your photos from your holiday trip! :goodvibes

What a sweetie. Thank you! :goodvibes Pop in on my TR when you get back and let me know how it all went. I really hope you're prepared for the worst but will be pleasantly surprised.

And I love your idea of a "tarp photo scavenger hunt". I would SO do a scrapbook page like that! Maybe call it "Tarps Around the World" or "Name That Tarp". But "The Trip of Tarps" is the best one yet! :lmao:

A very similiar thing happened to us :sad2:! We were visiting Animal Kingdom for the day and had sandwiches and snacks in our bags for lunch. We were staying offsite and didn't have any kind of dining plan soo we planned to eat home made lunch and then eat dinners out. Well, the bag checker told my mom "you're not saving money by doing this, I don't think they should allow people to bring food in, it just raises the ticket prices..." he went on and on to my mother about how awful it was that she brought food in for us? She was not too thrilled but bit her tounge :thumbsup2

Her response could have easily been: With what you earn you can afford to buy lunch everyday?

To all the people who wonder why nobody on the DIS identifies themselves at WDW --

I think you have your answer.

In the OP's situation, simply saying "we're so sorry" and delivering the news in a more timely and apologetic manner would make a huge difference!

This story is reminding me of a situation I experienced at the Boardwalk in December, and I'm a little reluctant to share that we did in fact receive some monetary compensation. The original issue was that The Magical Express lost my bag, but the main problem we had was the attitude of the CMs. Losing the bag wasn't a big deal, but it was just so shocking to be treated with complete indifference. In a 6-hour ordeal, we didn't receive one single apology, were accused of losing the bag ourselves (I'm not sure how that would even be possible :confused3), were put on hold for an hour, and were treated as though we were clueless idiots. Eventually we tracked down the bag ourselves after googling a few phone numbers (Disney refused to give us their DME phone number and claimed they'd call but did not within a four hour time period.) Also, before anyone asks, they weren't just super busy. We were literally the only people in the lobby this evening seeking help from bell services or concierge (posted pics in my TR and everything!) We weren't looking for compensation, but we made it known to the manager that we would not be coming back. I'm not interested in paying $580 a night to sit in a lobby making phone calls to American Airlines and MCO.

Showing a little compassion and a little willingness to help their customers out (not talking about compensation, but in my case, simply making a phone call or providing us with a phone number) is something I'd expect from any company. It's particularly disappointing when Disney, who is known for great customer service, doesn't come through.

In the OP's situation, simply saying "we're so sorry" and delivering the news in a more timely and apologetic manner would make a huge difference!

This story is reminding me of a situation I experienced at the Boardwalk in December, and I'm a little reluctant to share that we did in fact receive some monetary compensation. The original issue was that The Magical Express lost my bag, but the main problem we had was the attitude of the CMs. Losing the bag wasn't a big deal, but it was just so shocking to be treated with complete indifference. In a 6-hour ordeal, we didn't receive one single apology, were accused of losing the bag ourselves (I'm not sure how that would even be possible :confused3), were put on hold for an hour, and were treated as though we were clueless idiots. Eventually we tracked down the bag ourselves after googling a few phone numbers (Disney refused to give us their DME phone number and claimed they'd call but did not within a four hour time period.) Also, before anyone asks, they weren't just super busy. We were literally the only people in the lobby this evening seeking help from bell services or concierge (posted pics in my TR and everything!) We weren't looking for compensation, but we made it known to the manager that we would not be coming back. I'm not interested in paying $580 a night to sit in a lobby making phone calls to American Airlines and MCO.

Showing a little compassion and a little willingness to help their customers out (not talking about compensation, but in my case, simply making a phone call or providing us with a phone number) is something I'd expect from any company. It's particularly disappointing when Disney, who is known for great customer service, doesn't come through.

Sadly, we had this exact same experience minus any compensation or even a sorry at Pop Century a few years ago. It took us a day and a half for them to finally find our suitcase and bring it to our room. The manager kept blaming it on the airlines and claimed to have called them and reported it so it was out of their hands. When I called the airline they claimed nobody had ever called them. I didn't expect Disney to lie to me just tell me the truth and if you don't know where it and you need to give it a day to call around just say so. Although honestly I don't think they did anything but take a wait and see approach.

Well Disney forgot to take their mistake off the suitcase when they put a tag on it to deliver it to one of the deluxe resorts instead of POP despite our yellow tags from them that said Pop Century being right next to it. I made the mistake of not putting any of my son's shirts or underwear in the suitcases that did show up (I usually put a variety in each suitcase just in case) so I had to buy over priced Disney underwear and a shirt for him. I was in panic mode for that day and a half but I refused to allow it to effect the rest of the trip. I still don't know why it took them that long to realize it was misdelivered to the wrong hotel and get it to the right one. :confused3

:eek: You.have.to.be.kidding.me.

Now, I'm usually a laid-back kind of gal, but that would have sent me off the deep end. There is no WAY that should have ever happened. I don't mean to pry, but did they make ANY attempt to fix this problem for you?

I try really hard to be polite to customer service people, but I would have made the manager's night VERRRRYYYYY long until the problem got solved.

There solution was to have me switch rooms if a preferred room opened up while I was there. As this was only a 4 nights stay, and I didn't want the hassle of unpacking and repacking, not to mention the fear of them screwing up my dining plan, I told them no thanks. They also stated before I could even ask that no value resort had a preferred room available for the length of my stay. Of course I had also broke one of my own rules and made an ADR for that night, so I didn't want to spend hours arguing with them.:headache:

You know what is really bad? That is the second time that has happend to me, and both times were at the Music resort. One time I can forgive. Stuff happens. But twice? Not acceptable. To me it shows they know they oversell their preferred rooms and just don't care.

Yes things happened but to a three year old it is the world. I think they could have given her a pin or somethg small for snow white and told her the true she was sick. She would have understand maybe not right away but she would have.

Yes things happened but to a three year old it is the world. I think they could have given her a pin or somethg small for snow white and told her the true she was sick. She would have understand maybe not right away but she would have.

She's three, she would have got over it by the time they moved to the next country and saw something else that caught her attention.

Agreed. I have no illusions Disney is perfect. Getting a replacement toy free of charge was NOT expected, which is why it was so magical and left such a good impression. :goodvibes

And that is horrible what happened to you, with the preferred room especially.

I'll be the first to say WDW doesn't do everything right. In fact I think you and I have been on opposing sides of the cc guarantee at the restaurants now... I despise the cancellation window and think they are REALLY dropping ball on that. And I don't think they did right by the OP's daughter...

The flip side of that is that a little excellent customer service ("service" not necessarily "compensation") can change the whole tone for someone.

I wish the CMs had been a little more customer-friendly to the OP's daughter. Did they do anything wrong? Not really. But they sure missed an opportunity to do something REALLY RIGHT--and then maybe, instead of this story the OP gave us, we'd all be posting on a thread about how fabulous Disney's customer service was. If you're WDW, which kind of press would you prefer?

Ginny, wishing you some magical moments on future trips!
And that's the thing. Could the CMs have handled it differently?? Of course they could have. But...they're human. And every person is going to react to something a bit differently than someone else might. So....the OP was unlucky in that she ran into CMs who's customer service skills weren't as wonderful as they could have been. Yes, someone 'should' have come out and told them much sooner, with an apologetic attitude. They didn't. And since we have overly inflated ideas of what WDW should be like, we're upset when we are shown that it isn't all 'that' magical...CMs are just regular people. Some are better at their jobs than others.

The CMs may have had reasons for their lack of 'magic'. Does that make it right? Perhaps not. But, that's just the way life is. It's not hard to understand how a mom could be upset when her dd is so very disappointed. And she probably doesn't give one fig about the reasons why the CMs didn't respond in what she felt to be an appropriate manner.
Meanwhile, there could have been circumstances that led to the breakdown in communications from the CMs. They completely forgot, for whatever reason, that there were guests out there, waiting for Snow White. Yes, they could have handled it better.
On the other hand, mom could have handled her side of it much better as well. The CMs could have found out when and where Snow White was going to appear again. They could have brought the child a balloon...whatever. They should have gone out sooner and given the bad news.
But...mom could have just comforted her dd, telling her how awful it was that Snow White was so sick...and maybe the CMs could bring Snow White the flower that she had picked, and maybe that would make Snow White feel better. And then head off to get her a little something, or just to go to the next country. Dd would have gotten over it very soon...they do at 3.

So, in all reality, while I understand the op's point, things could have been handled differently by all parties. CMs are human...they are not perfect. WDW is a wonderful place, but sometimes less than perfect stuff happens there. There is no way to promise sunshine, rainbows and pixiedust all the time while in WDW...it just isn't going to happen.

They should have atleast come out at the end of 15 minutes and let them know there may be a delay....

I think some of the responses are kind of harsh. The OP sounds like a reasonable person. I'm sure she didn't expect anything major, just some common courtesy, and maybe a small bit of Disney magic.

When I read it, I thought maybe a CM could have done something to distract the kid, make her feel a little better.

My niece was 3 the first time we went to WDW and she fell down in AK and was crying and a CM came up and gave her a set of 2 Cinderella pins. It was a smallish gesture, probably didn't cost them much, and it made her day.

Little things go a long way for a 3 year old. And yes, it would have been free to tell OP where she could find another princess for her DD, that is probably what I would have expected-and for someone to come out and tell me that SW wasn't going to be back. princess:

Let me make a bit of a point here. BOTH sides are jumping to conclusions. We do not have the whole story, only the OPs side of things. The OP was removed from whatever was happening in the back. As such, we don't have the details as to what really was going on. Without the other side of the story, saying anyone did anything wrong or that X should have happened is just conjecture.

I am willing to give both parties the benefit of the doubt since we don't have all the details. We have on person's experience who did not have access to all the details themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter