Bad dinner at Coral Reef

FYI--- It takes at least 24 hours before you can get sick from bad food.

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumer/c-foodborne-illness.asp

(Sorry for the formatting / Aussie spelling)
Pathogen Incubation period (time between eating and onset of symptoms) Symptoms Associated foods *
Bacillus cereus toxin (vomiting) 1 - 6 hours Sudden onset of severe nausea and vomiting Improperly refrigerated cooked rice
Bacillus cereus toxin (diarrhoea) 6 - 24 hours Abdominal cramps, nausea and watery diarrhoea Meats, stews, gravy, vanilla sauce
Campylobacter 2 - 5 days Fever, nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhoea (sometimes bloody) Raw and undercooked poultry, unpasteurised milk and contaminated water
Clostridium perfringens toxin 6 - 24 hours Abdominal cramps, watery diarrhoea and nausea Meats, poultry, gravy, dried or precooked foods
Escherichia coli (STEC) 2 - 10 days more commonly 3 - 4 days Diarrhoea (often bloody), abdominal cramps Improperly cooked beef, unpasteurised milk and juice, sprouts and contaminated water
Hepatitis A 2 - 7 weeks Jaundice, fatigue, anorexia, nausea Raw or poorly cooked seafood harvested from contaminated waters, ready-to-eat foods handled by an infected food handler
Listeria monocytogenes 3 days - 10 weeks Meningitis, sepsis, fever Soft cheeses, unpasteurised milk, ready-to-eat deli meats
Norovirus 24 - 48 hours Fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhoea and headache Poorly cooked shellfish, ready-to-eat foods touched by an infected worker
Salmonella 6 – 72 hours, usually 12-36 hours Headache, fever, abdominal cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting and nausea Undercooked poultry, raw egg deserts and mayonnaise, sprouts, tahini
Staphylococus aureus toxin 0.5 – 8 hours Sudden onset of vomiting and abdominal cramps Cream deserts and pastries, potato salad
Vibrio parahaemolyticus 4–30 hours, usually 12-24 hours Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and watery diarrhoea Undercooked or raw seafood.

I almost died from food poisoning last year after eating pork chops with round worm. I was told by my Doctor and my DFIL who is retired from being head of a childrens hospital that it took at least 24 hours so I quess it's who you talk to.I still say it would be very rare to develope symptoms within a hour like was stated. I didn't mean to cause trouble but saying you got sick because of a restaurants bad food is a serious accusation.

I almost died from food poisoning last year after eating pork chops with round worm. I was told by my Doctor and my DFIL who is retired from being head of a childrens hospital that it took at least 24 hours so I quess it's who you talk to.I still say it would be very rare to develope symptoms within a hour like was stated. I didn't mean to cause trouble but saying you got sick because of a restaurants bad food is a serious accusation.

Anything with poorly refrigerated mayo can make you sick in a matter of minutes.Been there, done that.Several times.

I did not like CR either. My beef polenta appy was cold and it came back the same way. My chicken caesar salad was ok but the service was slow slow slow.

We have been to CR five times and the first four times everything was fantastic. This past time (just my DD and I), the initial server ignored us for about 15 minutes (he visited the tables around us multiple times). When he finally came over and asked how we were, I asked for a manager and got a new server.

Overall, we love their food but the service leaves something to be desired. It's as if they have no clue how to serve everyone and spend a lot of time walking back and forth. We'll give it another shot, but not because of the service.

:confused3, this morning i was searching though the dis boards, i am pretty sure i read that if you stay at the Swan or Dolpin you cannot use disney dinning plan. is this ture? thank you in advance for your help and answer!!!

We ate at CR one year ago and thought it was okay. We ate again two weeks ago and it was one of the best meals of our trip. It was so good, that I asked to send compliments to the chef! I had the salad with key lime dressing and it was amazing. I also had the blackened catfish, and the mousse dessert. The strip steak was also incredible. Mmmmmmmmm.

Welcome Daniel! you are correct if at the S/D no food plan. HTH!

I have to add my .02, for whatever it is worth. We had 7:30 Ps at CR on Wednesday night. We had horrible service and the food was not great. Our server took about 15 min. to approach our table and after she took our order we never saw her again. My DD dropped her fork and after waiting for about 5 minutes (our food was sitting in front of us and no one was eating -should have been a clue). We asked two different servers for a new one. Finally, DH got up and went over to another table where there was another server and she gave him a fork. I'm not sure what our server was doing. She looked very busy whenever she walked by but she wasn't helping us.

Thanks for the review, and I am sorry you had a bad experience there.

Ours was pretty bad too. Family & I ate there in February and had horrible service. My DH liked the Mahi Mahi well enough, but my steak was not cooked how I wanted it (medium). It was WAY over done, so it was dry and tasted like beef jerky :eek: I didn't send it back because, our waiter showed up to our table all of three times...once to take our drink orders, 15 minutes later with drinks and to take our FULL order (appetizer, entree, & dessert), then came back to give us our check. We had 2 other servers bring us our food & only had our drinks refilled once :sad2: . I am assumming he went on break during our dinner.

I plan on giving Coral Reef another chance, just not anytime soon either. Hope your experience next time is better too :goodvibes

We ate at Coral Reef about 2 weeks ago and LOVED it:love: ! It was our first TS meal to start of our vacation and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent and the service was great. There is 5 of us total so we had quite a variety of foods. For appetizers we had the cod cakes (excellent); the land and sea (good); crab claw salad (great); and the lobster soup (awesome). For dinner the rest of the family was less adventurous and 4 of them got the NY steak and I got the Mahi Mahi. We all loved our entrees. For desserts, we got them all except the citrus creme brulee. The kids loved the chocolate wave cake. I had the baileys mousse (excellent) and DH had the cheesecake (excellent). The waitress was very friendly and attentive. She even brought us the recipe for the chocolate wave cake and the lobster soup since we loved them so much!

We ate at CR this past May. The Hostesses were very nice, our server was a snot. the Food ok. DH had better fish the next night at GF Cafe.

But the worst was everyone were throwing fits if they did not get to sit next to the tank. I mean"I paid darn good money for this trip fits" We heard that phrase at least 3 times. And then they would tell their kids just to go stand by the tank & they did. they squeezed between the tables & got next to the tank. I felt so sorry for the folks sitting by the tank. We where on the 2nd tier & had a great view. One family had a triple stroller & the husband said they where taking it in the CR & if they did not like it he would call Michael Eisiner;) himself, I wanted to him to go for it. and I never saw them in the Resturant.

Kae

We had dinner at the CR years ago and it was a very nice fine dining restaurant with a cool calming atmosphere. Well we just ate there 6-28-07 and let me tell you hands down this is the loudest Table service restaurant in the resort. The food was average but very small portions. My DD "11" who counts as an adult had little to choose from. She ordered the ceaser salad which she normally loves but it was so heavy with garlic she could not even eat it .. I normally love garlic and it was way over spiced.. I would have been nuts if I would have paid $174 for two adults and one child if we were not on the dining plan. Keep in mind we did not have any alcohol drinks and nothing extra outside the dining plan.

Coral reef has become a three ring circus and even our server was suffering from the noise .. she was older and we could tell she was not happy although she treated us very well .. We asked What happened to this place ?? she told us that some time ago they TOOK OUT all the carpet on the walls and acoustic tiles and the place has been so loud since .. Now when I say loud.. I mean we couldn't even have a conversation at most times and yes .. we were lucky enough to be seated at the tank and were constantly covered with people and there kids running up to the tank and standing at the edge of our table to watch the fish ..

Im sorry to say ... AVOID !!

I agree, dinner is loud! We now opt for the lunch visit. We have a 2:00 ADR for August. I found out recently (in May) that there is a huge difference between lunch and dinner. Yes the menu is slightly different, but the noise level is like night and day.....Oh my, I just gave away my secret.....sorry, lunch is crazy too! don't go there....teehee.

I do agree with everything the above poster said. The kids do run up to the glass and really disrupt your meal if you are seated by the glass. We never ask for the glass and seem to get it most times since we are a party of 2. I prefer the booth on the bottom level as one of the better seats, but they only put large groups in them, not parties of 2.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience, I wish I could say I had a great experience. I did not. Our waitress was very rude, when I asked for drink with no ice (sensitive teeth) so brought out ice anyway. I asked her to correct it and she slammed the drink down so hard some of it spilled out!:mad: The food was not very good my fish was also cold in the middle and I asked for it to be taken back it looked as if it was microwaved because not a thing was moved! We also were seated by the tanks which was nice, but we had a family of children that kept bumping our elbows and running into our seats. The family didn't say anything to their children and normally I wouldn't mind if there were some manners there.

I think it is really like winning the lottery with this resturant more people leave unhappy esp. for the money they spend. I would love to go back and have a wonderful meal, but that is a very expensive choice for something that was so bad the first time.

I made Christmas dinner ressie's for this restaurant but now I'm rethinking them. It was basically the only restaurant with reservations still available last week.

We would like to be at Epcot on Christmas afternoon/Evening. Any suggestions where we can dine? Seems like everything is already booked as of the date dining reservations took place.

princess:

I would keep trying to get the ADR you really want. My favorites in epcot are Le Cellier in Canada and France is really good lately. Have you considered some of the restaurants on the Boardwalk just outside epcot ? You could walk out the back of epcot for dinner then walk back in. There are several very good restaurants around the Boardwalk / Beach club / Yacht club area

Dont give up ..

Thanx for the review ~ Shame that you had such a negative experience.

From all these reviews, I'm glad I made a lunch ressie at 11:30 am the earliest possible time. The servers sounds like they are overwhelmed by the DDP. I'm thinking I should ask for the bill right away while the server is not so busy after we order all our food. I read in this forum somewhere that if there's a mistake it has to be corrected at that restaurant instead of at the hotel is that correct as of now ? Thanks in advance.

I would keep trying to get the ADR you really want. My favorites in epcot are Le Cellier in Canada and France is really good lately. Have you considered some of the restaurants on the Boardwalk just outside epcot ? You could walk out the back of epcot for dinner then walk back in. There are several very good restaurants around the Boardwalk / Beach club / Yacht club area

Dont give up ..

I tried again for Le Cellier without luck, although we have it for a different day. I made the ADR at Flying Fish on the BW ~ it's DH favorite. As you mentioned, we can walk back in the park. The food and service is always wonderful.

Thanks for your help!

princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter