Bad Day at DCA: Do you think it's worth a complaint?

There aren't lines to meet characters anymore. They show up spontaneously and then you can position yourself to take a selfie from a distance. The precise reason why they are no longer sharing the appearance times with guests is to prevent lines from forming in the first place. It's by design.

There are still lines in Avengers Campus and Fantasy Faire. This incident was for Loki in Avengers Campus who has a line.

It is not true that they are no longer sharing appearance times with guests. Character hosts have always been inconsistent with whether or not they share appearance times both before the pandemic shutdowns and after the reopening. Sometimes they are forthcoming but other times they are not. There has been no change in official policy about this at Disneyland Resort or else dozens of CMs that I have talked to since the reopening have not been told about this change of policy even though they have been told about the change in policy about not helping guests take photos with their devices.

The only park I know of where the official policy has changed on providing appearance times is Hong Kong Disneyland. Tokyo Disneyland's policy has always been to not share the appearance times.

There aren't lines to meet characters anymore. They show up spontaneously and then you can position yourself to take a selfie from a distance. The precise reason why they are no longer sharing the appearance times with guests is to prevent lines from forming in the first place. It's by design.
Outdoor lines for characters are bad, yet indoor packed tiny queue lines are totally fine- including downtimes where you're stuck in one spot for over an hour with hundreds of other guests. Not attacking your reply, just Disney's "by design" as you mentioned.

Yep, makes sense.

There are still lines in Avengers Campus and Fantasy Faire. This incident was for Loki in Avengers Campus who has a line.

It is not true that they are no longer sharing appearance times with guests. Character hosts have always been inconsistent with whether or not they share appearance times both before the pandemic shutdowns and after the reopening. Sometimes they are forthcoming but other times they are not. There has been no change in official policy about this at Disneyland Resort or else dozens of CMs that I have talked to since the reopening have not been told about this change of policy even though they have been told about the change in policy about not helping guests take photos with their devices.

The only park I know of where the official policy has changed on providing appearance times is Hong Kong Disneyland. Tokyo Disneyland's policy has always been to not share the appearance times.

There are no organized line ups, is what I meant. I literally saw Loki on Saturday just standing there next to the building and there was no line. People were generally just walking by him and occasionally he would strike a pose when someone stopped to take a picture or selfie. I was also in Avengers Campus last Thursday and for a good amount of time, Black Panther was walking behind me, again, without a line. He ended up at the jeep and at that point a few guests walked over to take turns getting a selfie. I've been to the parks now 9 times and have never once seen an actual line for any character with the exception of Mickey in Buena Vista Street by the fountain.

There are no organized line ups, is what I meant. I literally saw Loki on Saturday just standing there next to the building and there was no line. People were generally just walking by him and occasionally he would strike a pose when someone stopped to take a picture or selfie. I was also in Avengers Campus last Thursday and for a good amount of time, Black Panther was walking behind me, again, without a line. He ended up at the jeep and at that point a few guests walked over to take turns getting a selfie. I've been to the parks now 9 times and have never once seen an actual line for any character with the exception of Mickey in Buena Vista Street by the fountain.

That's interesting. I was last in the park a couple days before they transitioned to Halloween and all the Avengers had lines. I had lined up for Iron Man on the Saturday before that (Aug 28th) and other Avengers on multiple days the week before. If I remember correctly, I last saw Loki with a line on the 26th of August. At least the times I have gone, I had always seen lines for the Royal Theatre in Fantasy Faire and Avengers Campus. The CMs actually managed the lines in Avengers Campus with a CM at the front to direct each group and a CM at the back to terminate the queue after a certain number of people.

I have seen lines at other places but those seemed like exceptions to me as most of the time, character hosts would just tell people to go up to take pictures without a line.

It looks like either my experience may now be outdated or something else may be at play such as lines on lower attendance days but not on higher attendance days.

We’re here now and spent all day in CA today, yesterday at DL. We haven’t waited longer than 5 minutes for anything we’ve ordered, we haven’t done any mobile ordering either. The only exception was the rancho place in DL last night at 8pm, we had a 25 minute wait to order, only 3 people were working getting food ready. I felt bad for them, but every where else it’s been super quick.

It used to be cast members would wear badges on their uniforms saying "Ask Me About Character Meet And Greets" and when you would see one cast member wearing that badge it meant they knew about character sightings. But when Meet And Greets do return I hope this habit stops. Did you happen to get the name of the cast member who tried to help you by any chance? Because when you call DCA you should tell them about him/her when you tell them your complaint and if a phone call don't work you could email the DCA manager and see what they tell you
Hope you have good luck Gr8 Tomorrow
Dodger

Other than those things (the first of which I personally feel doesn't warrant lodging an official complaint over), what else about the day went wrong?

It was a series of things that on their own would have seemed minor, but taken together made the whole day feel unpleasant:
  • Character issue (mentioned above)
  • Long waits for food (such as 45 minutes past when I was called for my mobile order just to get a beer at Pym Tasting Lab)
  • At Pym's also ordered a water, which was given to me at room temperature. The bartender told me that if I wanted a cold one I could go wait in line at Pym's Test Kitchen and ask for a cup of ice (after waiting for the mobile order window + 45 minutes for the beer)
  • When I checked in on my phone for my husband's birthday dinner at Wine Country Trattoria, it asked if we were celebrating anything and I checked birthday. When we checked in at the podium, they asked again and I said yes, his birthday. Husband was wearing a birthday button too. Not one person so much as said happy birthday, let alone do anything nice for it. In fact, when the server came to drop off our bill, he had a cupcake on his tray. He dumped the bill on the table and walked away with the cupcake, which he gave to someone at a neighboring table for their birthday.
  • Line jumping was epic. People throwing elbows, climbing over fences, opening exit gates, plowing up through the lines. In just the Toy Story line, two separate single people standing in line opened a side gate and let whole families into the line. One family had about five people and the other had about ten. There was line jumping in every line we stood in the whole day.
  • There were not enough tables to sit down and eat food.
  • When you get called for your Webslingers boarding group, there's still a long wait to board the ride. We waited 50 minutes, most of it in full sun. Why can they not call groups in such a way that you can get on more quickly? They are very good at math. They should be able to figure this out. To my knowledge the ride had not been down during the day that would have caused a backup.
  • Generally miserable people: lots of cast members barking orders at everyone and not seeming to know what to do.
  • Maybe this is standard, but it's weird to me that when you go on the ferris wheel you don't get to make even one full rotation at speed. The longest we moved consistently was less than half the way around. You spend virtually the whole time sitting still.
Again, any of these things on their own are no big deal. But it was just like the death of a thousand paper cuts....it just was not a good day, and I can totally see why someone who had that be their only visit to a Disney park just may not want to go back.

I'm a Disney zealot, so of course I'll go back.

It used to be cast members would wear badges on their uniforms saying "Ask Me About Character Meet And Greets" and when you would see one cast member wearing that badge it meant they knew about character sightings. But when Meet And Greets do return I hope this habit stops. Did you happen to get the name of the cast member who tried to help you by any chance? Because when you call DCA you should tell them about him/her when you tell them your complaint and if a phone call don't work you could email the DCA manager and see what they tell you
Hope you have good luck Gr8 Tomorrow
Dodger
Wow...this seems petty. Why would you want to get someone in trouble for doing their job? Perhaps they have should been a tad more discrete but someone paying for a VIP experience is entitled to an elevated experience. Eavesdropping on another's conversation is setting a bad example for the child, btw.

We're in a pandemic. Government programs have made it hard to fill jobs both north and south of the border. A little more understanding should carry the day.

I totally get OP!.. Disney/DCA was a hot mess this weekend despite NOT being very crowded. Lines were short most of the holiday (we were there Sun, Mon, Tue) except for a few rides (Haunted Mansion w/holiday overlay) but despite that, so many rides were broken and some cast members were just plain rude. RSR went down almost all day on Monday and seemed to take down Luigis and Maters as well...those 3 rides went entirely missing from the app. Rise was constantly down throughout the weekend. We saw people using the FP line at Guardians and asked what type of passes were being used there and were told to mind our own business! The food situation was also still odd with long wait times. We still had a great time, but man, they need to step up the game for as much as we pay for tickets!
"Mind your own business"???? That is flat out rude. I hope you do fill out on that. I was under the impression it was long lines because of the holiday weekend when I commented above. If that wasn't the case for the food, I am not sure what Disney could have done to fix that other than hire more people to work ? Idk what the situation is at DL right now with employees whether they were able to get people to come back to work or not. That seems to be playing a part in lines all over America right now.

Wow...this seems petty. Why would you want to get someone in trouble for doing their job? Perhaps they have should been a tad more discrete but someone paying for a VIP experience is entitled to an elevated experience. Eavesdropping on another's conversation is setting a bad example for the child, btw.

We're in a pandemic. Government programs have made it hard to fill jobs both north and south of the border. A little more understanding should carry the day.

Eavesdropping?!?! Are you serious? We were standing at one of the tables near Pym's and the CM was standing within three feet of us. There was no way not to hear and see what happened. Sheesh.

It was a series of things that on their own would have seemed minor, but taken together made the whole day feel unpleasant:
  • Long waits for food (such as 45 minutes past when I was called for my mobile order just to get a beer at Pym Tasting Lab)
  • At Pym's also ordered a water, which was given to me at room temperature. The bartender told me that if I wanted a cold one I could go wait in line at Pym's Test Kitchen and ask for a cup of ice (after waiting for the mobile order window + 45 minutes for the beer)
  • When I checked in on my phone for my husband's birthday dinner at Wine Country Trattoria, it asked if we were celebrating anything and I checked birthday. When we checked in at the podium, they asked again and I said yes, his birthday. Husband was wearing a birthday button too. Not one person so much as said happy birthday, let alone do anything nice for it. In fact, when the server came to drop off our bill, he had a cupcake on his tray. He dumped the bill on the table and walked away with the cupcake, which he gave to someone at a neighboring table for their birthday.
  • Line jumping was epic. People throwing elbows, climbing over fences, opening exit gates, plowing up through the lines. In just the Toy Story line, two separate single people standing in line opened a side gate and let whole families into the line. One family had about five people and the other had about ten. There was line jumping in every line we stood in the whole day.
  • When you get called for your Webslingers boarding group, there's still a long wait to board the ride. We waited 50 minutes, most of it in full sun. Why can they not call groups in such a way that you can get on more quickly? They are very good at math. They should be able to figure this out. To my knowledge the ride had not been down during the day that would have caused a backup.
  • Generally miserable people: lots of cast members barking orders at everyone and not seeming to know what to do.
  • Maybe this is standard, but it's weird to me that when you go on the ferris wheel you don't get to make even one full rotation at speed. The longest we moved consistently was less than half the way around. You spend virtually the whole time sitting still.
Again, any of these things on their own are no big deal. But it was just like the death of a thousand paper cuts....it just was not a good day, and I can totally see why someone who had that be their only visit to a Disney park just may not want to go back.

That does seem like quite a bit of grouchy cast members. Is there a possibility they are all new? Did something happen with their union recently that I didn't hear of to make them grouchy? I would take the advice of the above commenter who said a nicely worded letter letting them know that the day was a total mess up and point out the cm's rudeness at each station and the times you had that issue. The cupcake thing would have made me angry, too. We tend to get overlooked as a 50 something couple on our special celebrations, too due to the fact that we are a couple and don't have kids (i.e. a larger bill/tip for the server) so I get that 100%. Yeah. I think a nicely worded letter about what a letdown your day was wouldn't hurt. They probably won't do much other than add it to, what seems like will be a pile from that day, but at least you vented and can be over and done with it. I hope you get back on here and let us all know if they reply. That would be interesting to know!

Wow. What a day. I completely get the paper cut analogy! Perhaps DLR should not run at capacity until staffing issues and assorted details are working out with the dining/ordering? I believe I read people saying the park was at full capacity last weekend...perhaps it was too soon? Sorry about your day. And definitely write a letter. If they don't hear the feedback, how will they know what to adjust?

Wow. What a day. I completely get the paper cut analogy! Perhaps DLR should not run at capacity until staffing issues and assorted details are working out with the dining/ordering? I believe I read people saying the park was at full capacity last weekend...perhaps it was too soon? Sorry about your day. And definitely write a letter. If they don't hear the feedback, how will they know what to adjust?
It is only running at about 55% currently.

I feel for the OP because they seem to have had a pretty bad trip. And I feel bad because we were there at the exact same time, and we had a great experience. Of course, we weren't at the same restaurants at the same time, and we weren't in the same areas at the same time. We were there celebrating my recently adopted G-daughter's birthday, and we had a blast. We hit most the rides we wanted on Saturday, had a short wait (5 mins?) at Smoke Jumpers, no wait at Award Weiners, kids loved the fireworks, then on Sunday we stated with the Princess Breakfast, and it was a great day.

• The restaurant issues sound pretty bad. I did notice that since reopening, CMs seem more likely to brush people off when it comes to getting water.
  • Given how bad line jumping is in Shanghai, I never really complain anymore about line jumping in the US. In Shanghai and Hong Kong, I sometimes see people get to the front of a SINGLE RIDER line and then call up their entire family to join them.
  • I also think it's really dumb for them to use a virtual queue for Webslingers and then use the entire outdoor queue area. I've also waited nearly an hour for Rise of the Resistance before. These two rides tend to have very short lines in the morning but long lines in the afternoon even though Disney should be able to control this with the virtual queue.
  • The Ferris Wheel is supposed to be one full rotation but I think they do a half rotation sometimes when the lines are really long. But even with one rotation, most of the time is spend sitting still.

Yeesh. No wonder you had a bad day. A lot of that was just bad luck (the line jumping guests, the long food waits at the particular times you were picking up, the miserable CMs). However, some of the other annoyances were just lack of preparedness on your end (and for the record, I DO NOT think a Disneyland day should be so hard that it requires studying up ahead of time, so I'm not blaming you). Stuff like the cold water at Pyms...there are 4 Coke Freestyle machines inside Pyms and you could have taken your cup in there, dumped it out and refilled it with ice and new water for free, but you needed to know those machines were there.

The WEB Slingers ride has always had an additional wait after BG are called. Same with Rise of the Resistance. It's like a Fastpass. There is still a wait. Should it be that long? Probably not. Disney could make that part better for sure.

The birthday thing...we have never had any pixie dust for a birthday, ever. The ONLY place on property that has ever done anything special for us has been Napa Rose. I don't expect anything from standard Disney TS restaurants.

As to the "not enough seating", where was this a problem in DCA, specifically? This park had tons of tables all over. While we sometimes have issues at DL with finding tables, it is never a problem at DCA even on its most crowded days. There are many large, shaded seating areas scattered about: HUGE area next to the old Hyperion Theater adjacent to both Avengers Campus and Hollywood land; Sonoma Terrace seating area; Pacific Wharf seating area, Paradise Gardens seating area.

• That is strange. I'm sorry this happened to you. We ordered a drink on Sunday afternoon and it was 10-15 mins wait time once my friend remembered to hit "I'm Here".... I hope you can try again soon.
    People are going to join their friends in lines. Every now and again, we will need to have someone catch up (emergency potty break) and our rule is you do have to join at a gate, and not push up thru the line. That said, I agree, 1 person holding a spot for 10 is not acceptable, but they do allow it.
    When you get called for your Webslingers boarding group, there's still a long wait to board the ride. We waited 50 minutes, most of it in full sun. Why can they not call groups in such a way that you can get on more quickly? They are very good at math. They should be able to figure this out. To my knowledge the ride had not been down during the day that would have caused a backup.
    Problem is people don't all come when they are called. And unless you are inside, you don't really see when the ride has a quick reset. You will just notice you don't move for about 10 mins. I'm assuming you must have been routed to the back lot since you said full sun, they do need to get more umbrellas up back there. Also, if they are going to have us walk thru a space marked food delivery, then need to let us order food to be delivered there!!
    I'm sorry you experienced this! The cast members we encountered (except 1 named Alan) were all helpful and nice.
Any time we have rode, it takes one full loop to load. Then they have it go around 1 full time. Then it takes one loop to unload.

As to the "not enough seating", where was this a problem in DCA, specifically? This park had tons of tables all over. While we sometimes have issues at DL with finding tables, it is never a problem at DCA even on its most crowded days. There are many large, shaded seating areas scattered about: HUGE area next to the old Hyperion Theater adjacent to both Avengers Campus and Hollywood land; Sonoma Terrace seating area; Pacific Wharf seating area, Paradise Gardens seating area.
I think this is more of a problem of people not knowing where there is seating. The area by the Hyperion almost seems empty most of the time. We always head there from Pym's as we know there is a ton of seating. For us, Pacific Wharf seating is the hardest, as it does get full, but I haven't seen the other areas fill up either.

Stuff like the cold water at Pyms...there are 4 Coke Freestyle machines inside Pyms and you could have taken your cup in there, dumped it out and refilled it with ice and new water for free, but you needed to know those machines were there.

Just to respond to this point and not get into a huge debate about the other things you raised, it was a BOTTLE of water. No cup to dump out or fill with ice. It's not like I asked for the free cup of ice water. I ordered and paid for a bottle of water and it was given to me at room temperature.

Just to respond to this point and not get into a huge debate about the other things you raised, it was a BOTTLE of water. No cup to dump out or fill with ice. It's not like I asked for the free cup of ice water. I ordered and paid for a bottle of water and it was given to me at room temperature.

Oh, that stinks.

So I talked to some CMs today and have an update on the character situation.

Character hosts are no longer supposed to tell guests the exact times (changes rolled out this month). However, they can tell you if a character will appear that day and some general info. The best info I got was "randomly between 12 and 3" while some said "this evening" or "this afternoon".

I was still seeing lines for characters in Fantasy Faire and Avengers Campus. Also Cars Land since the cars are technically characters too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter