Bad cruise 12/12/13

I am going to start this post with stating, I feel bad for the child, she probably did not know what was going on.

However, of course your child/grandchild should not go out when she can't swim well on her own, unless you or another responsible adult was right beside her. That is not discrimination, that is common sense.

Plus, of course they should not let a child or adult in the theater without shoes. If she had received medical attention and was cleared to go in the theatre, and up to it, you could have put on slippers or booties to protect her feet and others. If I am sitting next to you in the theatre, I am not sure if she has serious swelling issues or has contracted some foot disease.

I am also positive that it was very hard for Disney staff to deny anything, because i am very positive they want to say yes and make everyone happy.

Complying with ADA doesn't mean that rules don't apply to anyone who claims a handicap or wants an accommodation. In the case of shoes being required in restaurants or stores, it MAY mean that the business make accommodations for customers so that the law can still be complied with but the person who has a DISABILITY can still use the businesses. In this example, maybe flip flops or slippers are not allowed in a restaurant, but the person with a DISABILITY would be allowed to wear slippers while others are not allowed to do so. If the person is in a wheelchair and doesn't step onto the floor, a reasonable accommodation may be that socks are all that is required. If a person uses his feet as hands and needs them to be uncovered, then the reasonable accommodation FOR THAT PERSON may be that he is allowed to slip his foot from a shoe, but not that he is allowed to just walk barefoot through the restaurant as that would be dangerous and against the law.

Most ADA accommodations are made in the work place, such as allowing a service dog, better lighting, more time at breaks, etc., or in public businesses to allow access, such as ramps, rest room stalls, seating. The businesses do not HAVE to make every accommodation they could, and expense and need can play a part. The theater doesn't have to have interpreters, signers, or special lighting if they can show the expense and the need for it are very low, but it might have to allow a person to watch the show if he brings his own signer, has to have wheelchair ramps to accommodate a limited number of users.

A person who is temporarily impaired is not disabled and probably doesn't fall under the ADA. People get sick, people sometimes cannot participate in an event on a particular day when they otherwise could. That doesn't require the business to make accommodations, and it doesn't require the business to provide the accommodations without a fee (DCL could have allowed slippers but isn't required to provide slippers).

Nancy

I booked this cruise 1 1/2 years ago . Then just before the trip she broke her leg .she had the cast from her hip to her toes for 8 weeks 1 week before we went it came off. Her doctor told me to have her walk on it . I did try to carry her most of the time but she was trying to get her strength back in her leg. I was not given the option to just carry her in.i was just told she could not go in . I have been a doc member for 6 years so I love Disney .S o don't judge me because I was doing what her doctor told me to do.

Ouch! There's never a good time to break a leg, but this really stinks! I'm sorry that happened and again I'm sorry you had these issues with your cruise.

I have a couple of questions for you. Did I understand you correctly, that you carried your 11 year old granddaughter around during the cruise? Also, did you have access to a wheelchair or mobility device for her?

Mike

If that were the case, then you'd have to wonder how/why an 11 year old with challenges got there by herself in the first place.

Why would the 11 have to be alone? I could certainly push a 11 yo in a wheelchair on the beach, but I wouldn't be able to carry most 11yos into the water. Especially right now, as I'm pregnant. So, there are circumstances when a caregiver wouldn't be able to assist someone into and out of the water and might ask for assistance--which CMs are not authorized to give.

Ouch! There's never a good time to break a leg, but this really stinks! I'm sorry that happened and again I'm sorry you had these issues with your cruise. I have a couple of questions for you. Did I understand you correctly, that you carried your 11 year old granddaughter around during the cruise? Also, did you have access to a wheelchair or mobility device for her? Mike
I carried her as much as I could .no I did not have a wheelchair

Why would the 11 have to be alone? I could certainly push a 11 yo in a wheelchair on the beach, but I wouldn't be able to carry most 11yos into the water. Especially right now, as I'm pregnant. So, there are circumstances when a caregiver wouldn't be able to assist someone into and out of the water and might ask for assistance--which CMs are not authorized to give.
her mom tried but was told she still could not get in

I'm confused. Is the 11 year old that was told she couldn't go in the water the same person that tried to go in the theater without shoes? From your first post, it sounded like they were two different people, but later on, it sounds like they're the same person.:confused3

I'm confused. Is the 11 year old that was told she couldn't go in the water the same person that tried to go in the theater without shoes? From your first post, it sounded like they were two different people, but later on, it sounds like they're the same person.:confused3

Two different people.

The last reply from the OP says that the 11 yr old's mom was going to carry the girl into the water, but the CM's wouldn't let her.

Before that, the OP said that she herself was carrying her granddaughter into the theater, had no wheelchair, and the CM's there stopped her.

From my perspective, what it boils down to, is that none of the rest of us were there. So it isn't up to us to judge, or to tell the OP what she should or shouldn't have done....maybe she couldn't AFFORD the $20+ flip flops in the shops....

If you can't sympathize, or feel the need to argue about it, do what Thumper was told "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"

this is the longest thread i have ever seen where the majority of the responses are trying to make sense of the original post....

while I firmly do not believe this is the result of a troll I DO think that Shakespeare might have had an appropriate line which begins with "Much...."

From my perspective, what it boils down to, is that none of the rest of us were there. So it isn't up to us to judge, or to tell the OP what she should or shouldn't have done....maybe she couldn't AFFORD the $20+ flip flops in the shops....

If you can't sympathize, or feel the need to argue about it, do what Thumper was told "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"

I dunno. I think that when you choose to post to a public message board, there is an implied request for feedback. If someone asks for my feedback, I'm going to give an honest opinion. I will certainly try to be polite about it, but I'm not likely to sugar-coat. If you don't want to hear my honest opinion, then you probably shouldn't ask for it.

I suppose if someone really only wants to hear sympathetic responses, they might try specifically requesting that. Not all will respect that request (again, this *is* a public forum), but many will.

If you *really* don't want to risk hearing dissenting opinions, best not to post at all. Or go ahead and post, and simply choose not to read the responses.

stacey don't take this as being mean because its meant to just be an observation however i have read a few posts you have made that were a bit on the judgemental side in the past. everyone has their opinions and we need to let everyone speak their minds, just as you have been able to post in the past with your thoughts. lets not 'judge' the people who are 'judging'.

i agree with a pp who said we are just trying to make sense of what is being said and offer possible solutions for next time or for other people who may find themselves in the same situation.

I'm sorry the OP was so disappointed in their trip after looking forward to it so much. However, I can't help but wonder why they would not have arranged for a wheelchair for an 11 year old who couldn't walk on her own? Who in the heck would want to carry around an 11 year old on vacation? I have an 11 year old who is pretty small for her age, and it's still very awkward to carry her.

I don't entirely understand why the OP's granddaughter wasn't allowed into the water on CC, but as for getting into the show with no shoes, that's no surprise. If she had a problem with her feet swelling they should have put flipflops or slippers on her.

Hopefully, after they have time to think about it, they'll realize the trip wasn't so bad after all. I'm sure there must have been SOME good memories made there. Even my worst experiences fade after a while if I make an effort to remember the good and not dwell on the bad. :goodvibes

To the op, since you don't know exactly what was happening with the child at CC I think you're going to have a hard time making your case to Disney that there was any discrimination happening. As for your granddaughter, I have to say that sounds like an unfortunate mix of bad timing and unpleasant circumstances, not discrimination. I'm sorry she wasn't able to see the show and I hope she has recovered.

To anyone who thinks people shouldn't judge and keep their opinions to themselves, it's not like anyone drove to this woman's house and demanded she tell them her story then mocked her for it. By the very nature of message boards when you post something you are inviting people to react and respond. Maybe they weren't the responses the op was hoping for but I think people were pretty even handed and kind.

There have been a few posts from people who are unaware of what is allowed and not allowed on these boards. Points refers to violations of the DIS Board guidelines.

stacey don't take this as being mean because its meant to just be an observation however i have read a few posts you have made that were a bit on the judgemental side in the past. everyone has their opinions and we need to let everyone speak their minds, just as you have been able to post in the past with your thoughts. lets not 'judge' the people who are 'judging'.

i agree with a pp who said we are just trying to make sense of what is being said and offer possible solutions for next time or for other people who may find themselves in the same situation.

I guess I'm just in the middle of that holiday spirit...or maybe trying to turn over a new leaf.......:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter