Bad cruise 12/12/13

In my HR classes it is stated that foriegn businesses doing business in America must follow American laws.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

When in America.. this ship wasn't. :confused3

I have no idea what is going on as the posts by the OP are so poorly worded that I am truly clueless. It's not the 'grammar" police, it's just not worded where anyone can really make heads or tails out of the mess nor have the subsequent posts shed much light.

If the OP does write a formal complaint to Disney I hope it's much more clearly written.

If the OP wants real help then the situation needs to be clearly outlined when complaining to Disney otherwise it just hit the big trash can.

I wonder if the CM told the 11yo girl she couldn't swim *because there was no one to get her into and out of the water.* In other words, "No, I can't carry you into the water." Which they translated as, "No, she can't swim AT ALL because she is disabled."

On my last cruise a disabled man used the chair lift to get out of the adult pool on the Dream--it was ingenious and while I didn't want to be ride and stare, I was interested in seeing how the machine worked. While the crew assembled and disassembled the lift, they never touched the man. His companion was required to assist the man into the chair lift while another companion operated the lift. Note, the crew wouldn't even operate the lift while the man was in it. So if there hadn't been anyone to operate the lift, that man wouldn't have been able to swim. I imagine it's a liability issue, and I imagine the same goes on the island.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but this is the only logical reason I can think of for a disabled person being told they aren't allowed to swim.

I feel really bad that this woman felt that she needed to vent a little, and came here hoping for at least a little sympathy, if nothing else, but yet all most people here have done is pick at her.

Rather than tell her all the reasons she (according to the posts) has no right to be upset, would it have been so hard for people to just say "I'm sorry" and walk away???

Is it really necessary to tell her that she needs to correct her grammar?

Is it really necessary to tell her all the reasons why you people think the little girl shouldn't have been allowed in the theater without shoes? I'm willing to bet that there have been hundreds of toddlers who were capable of walking on their own (thereby risking being hurt or breaking a rule) who were carried into the theater without any shoes on.

My guess about the 11 year old not being allowed to go into the ocean, is that she probably had a physical disability of some sort, and someone was probably wanting to carry her in, just so she could have the experience of feeling the ocean waves. I can imagine that this scenario has played out at Castaway Cay a hundred times or more. I can't imagine a safer place to let a child experience that.
Regardless, we don't know the facts, we weren't there. Perhaps no wrong was committed by any Disney CM, or perhaps there was. Obviously coming to the Disney Boards to express her bad feelings was a mistake, because she got exactly what she DIDN'T need....a bunch of people telling her in so many words that she doesn't understand, doesn't use appropriate grammar, shouldn't have a RIGHT to be upset.

Shame on all of you. I've seen more sympathy dished out here for people who have carelessly misplaced (lost, left behind, thought they had an item stolen) something onboard and came here to tell about it.

Where's the Disney love?

:sad2::sad2::sad2:

It is definitely 'Disney Love' to help others. Sometimes in the 'heat' of the moment one can perceive a situation in only one way. I know my post and probably the other posters, were just trying to help the OP see that there are many reasons for events to go a certain way.

By the way, please don't tell me I should feel shame. I reread my post and feel no shame about what I wrote. If I wanted to feel 'shame' over what I posted, I would have said what my original reaction was to the OP's post but I didn't and will continue to refrain from sharing my original reaction. Instead, I wanted to help her see it from a different view point which is just that, a point of view. It is one of the risks and one of the benefits you take when you are on a board like this.

jahber said:
I wonder if the CM told the 11yo girl she couldn't swim *because there was no one to get her into and out of the water.* In other words, "No, I can't carry you into the water." Which they translated as, "No, she can't swim AT ALL because she is disabled."

On my last cruise a disabled man used the chair lift to get out of the adult pool on the Dream--it was ingenious and while I didn't want to be ride and stare, I was interested in seeing how the machine worked. While the crew assembled and disassembled the lift, they never touched the man. His companion was required to assist the man into the chair lift while another companion operated the lift. Note, the crew wouldn't even operate the lift while the man was in it. So if there hadn't been anyone to operate the lift, that man wouldn't have been able to swim. I imagine it's a liability issue, and I imagine the same goes on the island.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but this is the only logical reason I can think of for a disabled person being told they aren't allowed to swim.

If that were the case, then you'd have to wonder how/why an 11 year old with challenges got there by herself in the first place.

My initial reply was indeed directed towards Carnival, as I understood this was during a cruise. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I have since learned other cruise lines do Disney. My apologies, however my support and sentiment is the same. I understand Disney having a shoe rule,however I have witnessed many adults and children wearing flip flops. Flip flops if admissible to attractions offer no protection to the foot.

Again, it appears this was an extraordinary circumstance and Disney should have alternative measures in place.

I love Disney as well as The Carnival cruise line. I took a cruise in Sept, with carnival and gazed longingly at the ships along side me that were Disney theme.

I stand by my initial suggestion to write a concise letter of documentation
To appropriate officials.

My initial reply was indeed directed towards Carnival, as I understood this was during a cruise. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have since learned other cruise lines do Disney.

I don't understand this...

Do other lines also do Royal Caribbean?

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

So here's what interesting about this thread , we're all left guessing and filling in the blanks about what happened and then drawing our own conclusions

I'm going to ignore the ocean situation bc it does sound like the op wasn't involved in the situation so even her recollection may have been inferred

As far as the situation with the theaters and the no shoes from what I have read I don't understand why the grand daughter was walking in barefoot if her feet were hurting so bad that they weren't able to put any type of a shoe/sandal on. Was GD in a wheelchair? Being carried? Given the assumption that the child was just walking in barefoot and that violates the on board policy than I applaud dcl for enforcing some rules. I'm sorry the OP felt this was unfair, but I agree with some others on here in that I don't see the discrimination piece of this, not trying to defend Disney but thinking of this practically I don't believe the ADA and other laws (regardless of if they are applicable at sea or not), apply to a temporary feeling of not being comfortable

I get the frustration though if I was in the situation I probably wouldn't be happy if we got denied entry either and I'd be upset with the cast member even if they were just following the rules, good luck with your complaint but perhaps it's just about the less than Magical experience, instead of trying to make it something bigger than it is with the discrimination language. Just my 2 cents

My initial reply was indeed directed towards Carnival, as I understood this was during a cruise. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I have since learned other cruise lines do Disney. My apologies, however my support and sentiment is the same. I understand Disney having a shoe rule,however I have witnessed many adults and children wearing flip flops. Flip flops if admissible to attractions offer no protection to the foot.

Again, it appears this was an extraordinary circumstance and Disney should have alternative measures in place.

I love Disney as well as The Carnival cruise line. I took a cruise in Sept, with carnival and gazed longingly at the ships along side me that were Disney theme.

Other cruise lines don't do Disney. FYI, Disney has their own cruise line with 4 ships- Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy. ;)

I feel really bad that this woman felt that she needed to vent a little, and came here hoping for at least a little sympathy, if nothing else, but yet all most people here have done is pick at her. Rather than tell her all the reasons she (according to the posts) has no right to be upset, would it have been so hard for people to just say "I'm sorry" and walk away??? Is it really necessary to tell her that she needs to correct her grammar? Is it really necessary to tell her all the reasons why you people think the little girl shouldn't have been allowed in the theater without shoes? I'm willing to bet that there have been hundreds of toddlers who were capable of walking on their own (thereby risking being hurt or breaking a rule) who were carried into the theater without any shoes on. My guess about the 11 year old not being allowed to go into the ocean, is that she probably had a physical disability of some sort, and someone was probably wanting to carry her in, just so she could have the experience of feeling the ocean waves. I can imagine that this scenario has played out at Castaway Cay a hundred times or more. I can't imagine a safer place to let a child experience that. Regardless, we don't know the facts, we weren't there. Perhaps no wrong was committed by any Disney CM, or perhaps there was. Obviously coming to the Disney Boards to express her bad feelings was a mistake, because she got exactly what she DIDN'T need....a bunch of people telling her in so many words that she doesn't understand, doesn't use appropriate grammar, shouldn't have a RIGHT to be upset. Shame on all of you. I've seen more sympathy dished out here for people who have carelessly misplaced (lost, left behind, thought they had an item stolen) something onboard and came here to tell about it. Where's the Disney love? :sad2::sad2::sad2:
thank you

I booked this cruise 1 1/2 years ago . Then just before the trip she broke her leg .she had the cast from her hip to her toes for 8 weeks 1 week before we went it came off. Her doctor told me to have her walk on it . I did try to carry her most of the time but she was trying to get her strength back in her leg. I was not given the option to just carry her in.i was just told she could not go in . I have been a doc member for 6 years so I love Disney .S o don't judge me because I was doing what her doctor told me to do.

I booked this cruise 1 1/2 years ago . Then just before the trip she broke her leg .she had the cast from her hip to her toes for 8 weeks 1 week before we went it came off. Her doctor told me to have her walk on it . I did try to carry her most of the time but she was trying to get her strength back in her leg. I was not given the option to just carry her in.i was just told she could not go in . I have been a doc member for 6 years so I love Disney .S o don't judge me because I was doing what her doctor told me to do.

What is a doc member?:confused3

That had to be tough for her, being limited as a kid for 8 weeks must have been terrible for her. I assume like any kid she wanted to go and keep going once she got the cast off to the point of overdoing it. Especially on the cruise where there is soo much stuff to keep kids engaged. Hope as time goes on all heals up well and she has no lingering effects from it. I am guessing by the size of the cast this was not a minor broken bone.

Cgolf

So basically you wanted the CM to ignore the rules, that were in place for the safety of your daughter, who was walking around the ship in bare feet in a place where there are roving waiters delivering drinks in glasses to cruisers where often those drinks are dropped or knocked over and broken, and you got upset that the CM wouldn't break the rules?

Why didn't you just get a pair of slippers or flip flops? If you didn't want to go all the way to your room, you could always just walk 25 feet to the shops and get a pair there, not cheap, but they'd work.

This isn't an ADA discrimination situation, it's completely and totally due to the fact that you wanted to ignore the safety policy on board, and Disney enforced it. You weren't turned away because your DD was disabled (which she wasn't) you were turned away because shoes were required. If your DD had been in a wheelchair, then she certainly would have been allowed to watch from the handicapped areas, or helped down to a seat and transferred, but walking on the floor down to a seat barefoot, not safe at all!

:confused3:confused3:confused3 No other cruise lines do Disney> However RCCL does Sponge Bob:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter