Bad cruise 12/12/13

vedlin71

Mouseketeer
think this will be my last DCl cruise ! I seen to much bad things it was not the DCl I know and love on castaway I seen them tell a 11 year old girl she could not swim because she could not get out on her own well the toddlers can't I take care of 3 people in wheelchairs so it made me so upset to see her treated like that so I talked to guest s. We'll it just got worse after that you all know that my granddaughter just got her cast off she had a hard time walking so much het feet and legs started to swell so she could not wear her shoes on the last night I tryed to take her to see the show the worker at the door would not let her in .i told her about the problem she could see her feet but still would not let her I katelyn was crying and hurt that she could is the show.there was 2 other people there telling her she could not keep her out that was discrimination all she would say was it was their policy .now I'm going to write a note to DCl and tell them about it I told gs about it again and told them her name was Amy

Sorry you had a bad time. Now what really happened to your group? I really can't tell what you are trying to say from your post.

I'm so sorry your cruise was not enjoyable. I don't understand why they would not let the girl swim at Castaway Cay or why your granddaughter could not get into the show.

I'll add my sympathy here. Its always disappointing to hear that somebody had such a bad time on their cruise that they aren't going to try another one. I'm not clear from the OP's description though as to exactly what the issue was. I'd suggest that when writing to DCL that the OP explain exactly what was improperly handled.

How is enforcement of a "shoes in the theater" policy discrimination?

And the 11 yr old being told she can't swim... Where? What? I don't understand.

I'm guessing that the 11 year old was in a wheelchair, and was unable to get out of the chair by herself. That would be a safety issue, if she couldn't get to the water (and back out) by herself. Or, possibly, they are talking about swimming out to Pelican Plunge. I think you must be able to negotiate getting there and up the ladder by yourself.

If the policy is "must have shoes on" (but I'm not sure that's written down anywhere), then it's not discrimination to keep people out who don't have shoes on, regardless of the reason.

This isn't real clear. Was there a safety issue at castaway cay? At the theater is there a "no shoes, no service" policy?
that is what I was told but I can tell you that if there is a medical reason you can not stop it

How is enforcement of a "shoes in the theater" policy discrimination? And the 11 yr old being told she can't swim... Where? What? I don't understand.
if you have a medical problem the yes it is you can go in the main dinning room with no shoes but not to see a show .

I'm guessing that the 11 year old was in a wheelchair, and was unable to get out of the chair by herself. That would be a safety issue, if she couldn't get to the water (and back out) by herself. Or, possibly, they are talking about swimming out to Pelican Plunge. I think you must be able to negotiate getting there and up the ladder by yourself. If the policy is "must have shoes on" (but I'm not sure that's written down anywhere), then it's not discrimination to keep people out who don't have shoes on, regardless of the reason.
yes it is l I know the law on this one if it is a proven medical reason

Your posts are confusing, but if a person has a medical condition and cannot swim on their own, why would they be allowed to swim and possibly get hurt, or worse?

I am sorry you and your family missed out on some wonderful experiences, but I believe the staff were only following the rules for safety reasons. There is no law that says someone has to admit you when your issue is medical if it risks your safety. ie, if someone had a head injury that meant they couldn't wear a hardhat, they certainly would not be allowed on a construction site. Again, it is a shame you missed out on some things, but I hope you understand that the staff was only trying to protect your family.

Your posts are confusing, but if a person has a medical condition and cannot swim on their own, why would they be allowed to swim and possibly get hurt, or worse?
her mom was with her she has been on the dream before and has never had a problem it is not like she wanted to go far out just wanted to get in

I am sorry you and your family missed out on some wonderful experiences, but I believe the staff were only following the rules for safety reasons. There is no law that says someone has to admit you when your issue is medical if it risks your safety. ie, if someone had a head injury that meant they couldn't wear a hardhat, they certainly would not be allowed on a construction site. Again, it is a shame you missed out on some things, but I hope you understand that the staff was only trying to protect your family.
it is my job to take care of people with disabilities so yes I know the law it was not a safety thing even when I talked to guest services I was told it should not have happened

it is my job to take care of people with disabilities so yes I know the law it was not a safety thing even when I talked to guest services I was told it should not have happened

What is the law on the matter? I don't think the ADA applies to a foreign ship in foreign or international waters, certainly not on a beach in the Bahamas. With that said I guess with the details given I don't see the big deal entering the theater.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your cruise. Which ship were you on? Was the water at Castaway Cay warm enough to swim in?

Mike

It is possible that the CM new the rules, but not the law as guest services did and they just tried to do their job. Back in high school I would have been guilty of this at my food service job, I would have questioned a person on coming in to the restaurant without a shoe. Again I also would have been just trying to do my job.

Sorry this all happened, it is a bummer when you can't fully enjoy your cruise.

cgolf

What is the law on the matter? I don't think the ADA applies to a foreign ship in foreign or international waters, certainly not on a beach in the Bahamas. With that said I guess with the details given I don't see the big deal entering the theater.

You are correct, the ADA does not apply to a cruise ship registered in the Bahamas or on an island (Castaway Cay) that is part of the Bahamas.

insureman said:
You are correct, the ADA does not apply to a cruise ship registered in the Bahamas or on an island (Castaway Cay) that is part of the Bahamas.

This is contradictory to other posts/threads I've read where people have said that the ships DO follow ADA regulations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter