Bad cold - leaving Friday morning

MrsDanielle

Mouseketeer
UGH - About a week ago I caught a horrible bug that's been going around the office! And now here I am a few days before my holiday with a piece of kleenex shoved up my nose, my humidifier on high, wrapped up in a couple of blankets chatting on the Dis. My head is about to explode. The entire trip is nonrefundable nontransferable, so cancelling isn't an option. I suppose I could decide just not to go, but then we'd be out at least $3000. Out of curiously WWYD, stay home, or go anyway? If I do go I'm so bringing my Vicks....

:sick:

I would definatly go! Just make sure you are curtious to others (wash hands, cover mouth, ect.) and try to enjoy yourself. You can feel crappy at home...or you can feel crappy at WDW. (I think just being there will make you feel a little less crappy!:thumbsup2) You have a few days yet, so you will probley start feeling better. If not before you go, than shortly after you get there. We swear by Afrin. We have been sick on our Honeymoon, Disney trips, and other Vacations, but sniff a little Afrin maybe take some advil sinus or other non drowsey cold meds, and hope for the best. That is what I would do. I never go anywhere without Afrin though. My dad went to Dominican Republic about 3 weeks ago. He was really sick the night he left (Headache, congestion, sore throat ect. said the plane ride sucked from being so stuffed up, but felt better after about a day. Too bad he didn't try Afrin!! Lol! Would have been a lot less congested for the plane ride!) $3000 is alot of money to just throw away. If it's non refundable, you can always sleep at the hotel, and enjoy what you can but if you don't go and feel better in a few days...bummer.

I sure wouldn't want to be on the plane with you in that condition!

This :thumbsup2

I would wear a mask if I were you to keep it from others on the plane. Try to keep your hands to yourself otherwise so you don't spread it to others and ruin their vacation too.

Of course you are going to go....take proper precautions, take a dose of Tylenol PM (if you sleep, you'll have less opportunity to spread germs!) and keep HYDRATED!

Hope you are feeling better!

I wouldn't even think of cancelling the trip. If you've been sick a week already, I would think you should start feeling better soon. Try going to the doctor and see if there's some prescription meds that can help.......it could be that you have more than a cold.

I would go, but would make a trip to the dr. first. I'm not a big fan of running to the dr over a cold but it sounds like its lingering and a back up in case of a secondary infection might save you a lot of time and money later. Also ask for a decongestant to help your ears on the plane.

Disney has magic healing powers. You'll feel better once you get here! ;)

I wouldn't even think of cancelling the trip. If you've been sick a week already, I would think you should start feeling better soon. Try going to the doctor and see if there's some prescription meds that can help.......it could be that you have more than a cold.

I totally agree with all of this, especially seeing the doctor. And they can give you some prescription meds that will get you through the flight better.

If you're staying onsite and taking ME, you don't even have to worry about being drowsy. And what better place to recuperate than sunny Florida - just take it easy, modify your plans if necessary, until you're feeling 100 percent :goodvibes

You should be glad you are sick now, and not when you're on your trip! On our second to last day of our trip, I developed a fever and a bad cough. Felt like garbage. When we got home two days later, I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with pneumonia. Really ruined the end of the trip!

Just do everything you can now - maybe it would be worth a doctor visit to see if you can get anti-biotics, like a Z-Pack. Tell him or her you're going out of town. Of course if it's just a virus they won't do anything, but it's worth a shot! Start chugging orange vitamin water or orange juice for that vitamin C, and take medicine as directed for some relief. Hope you are feeling better soon!

It's "a few days before your trip" - I'd be amazed if you weren't better by the time you leave. I once got sick the day we arrived for four days - tanked myself up with sudafed and I was good to go!

Wait, you got sick a week ago and you don't leave until Friday? It seems that by your trip you will have been sick for almost 2 weeks. Sounds like you would likely be feeling better than.

If I were you, I would have made a Dr's appt when I started feeling cruddy LAST week, with the mindset that you would want to see if there is anything the Dr could prescribe to cause you not to feel ill on your vacation. (Same thing happened to me before my wedding!)

Since you can't turn back time, I'd recommend making an appt today if possible, especially if you are prone to sinus infections.

I would still go on the trip...just stock up on meds that make you feel better and have plenty of kleenex with the lotion so your nose doesn't get raw.

Hope you feel better soon!

You need to go to the doctor ASAP! You have plenty of time to heal in my opinion if you go now. A doctors visit and medicine would be a whole lot cheaper than loosing $3000+ dollars. Hope you feel better and have a fabulous time in Disney!!

You have three more days!!!! Drink lots of fluids, use a nasal wash, a humidifier when you sleep and start chewing some Vit. C. Most importantly, get a lot of sleep!!!

I was sick last week and the crud is still lingering. Mucinex and Sudafed have been helpful for clearing things up, but it could also be a sinus infection which needs antibiotics. I'm not a huge fan of pushing antibiotics if not necessary, but after this long, I'm going with sinus infection. - My unprofessional opinion. :sick:

I vote for sinus infection too. It's lasting too long to be just a cold. Get antibiotics and you will feel much better.

I'll chime in and agree with PPs who have said get to the Dr., get some antibiotics, keep hydrated - it will help break up all that crap in your passages. Another trick I use - get a mixing bowl or large pot - place a jar of Vicks Vaporub into the middle (the whole jar, not just the contents). Boil some water separately and pour it into the container up to nearly the top of the jar of Vicks. Sit on the floor with a towel over your head, directly over the bowl/pot. The combination of the steam and the vapors will break up a lot of nastyness. Note: you will drip a lot into the bowl, and that is nasty, but it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter