• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Backyard BBQ or Hoop Dee Doo?

Dinner ADR

• Mickeys Backyard BBQ

• Hoop Dee Doo

Results are only viewable after voting.

tpimental

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide between these two for out big family trip. There are 13 of us - 5 kids that will be 1,2,4.5,10 and 13. Wondering which is better in terms of entertainment and food. Thanks!

Can't speak for Hoop de do but just got back and went to Backyard BBQ while there. DW thought it was the best food we had, not including Jiko. There is a character greeting with Chip and Dale and Goofy that starts at 5:30, only lasts for about 30min. They let people in at about 6:15. You pick your own table, rows of picnic tables, and then get your food. Menu: Mixed salad, cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, corn on cob, hamburger, hot dog, bbq chicken and ribs. Freezers with mickey bars and popscicles for dessert. Oh, cornbread too. Ribs were excellent. also, all you can drink lemonade, fruit punch, ice tea, beer and wine. The show is a little hokey but the band is good, the characters come out-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale, and dance on the dance floor with the kids. Yes its a madhouse at first but after the first song or two it calms down. My DD's, 4yr, were pretty worn out by the time it all started so they were ready to leave after the characters came out the first time to dance but my wife and I would have stayed. Would definitely do it again.

Ok, so I voted Hoop Dee Doo too quickly. Mainly b/c it is one of my favorites. After looking at the ages of the children in your party, I am having a change of heart...I think the little ones would much rather enjoy the Backyard BBQ. While the Revue is great for all ages, it is a long time for the little ones to sit.
Regardless, the adults should have a good time at either one:thumbsup2
Happy planning!

I voted BBQ.

We thought the food was better at the BBQ, but enjoyed the entertainment at the HDDR better.

However with the ages of your children - the BBQ might be a better fit. The HDDR is a sit down slapstick show - that younger kids may get bored during. The BBQ they can get up, wiggle and be as loud as they may want to be.

I don't think you can go wrong with either though.

I have DS 4 and DD 7 and wondering the same thing! I know we won't be visiting again for a while and have so many things about HDDR (sp?) but I personally hate cheesy plays so not sure if this is what this is???? How long are they?

We've done both with kids aged 6 months, 3 & 6. For us, HDDR was the best - the food is from the same kitchen I swear. HDDR you are seated (we had our own table) and it is served to you including free beer and wine (a glass or two!) BBQ was quite chaotic and you go find your own spot on long picnic tables. You have to go queue/line up and help yourself from giant steamers. We find this harder with the kids, balancing plates and having to leave someone back at the table space. Altho' the kids liked the dancing at BBQ it was hard to get near the characters and there were just so many people there! Just asked my now 8.5 yr old and he said they were both good!

we have enjoyed both, a number of times each~I voted for HDD but then too read the kids ages,LOL:rotfl2: I think the BBQ would be better for the young ages altho................we have seen many a toddler get swept up in the madness so watch your little ones really well, the stompin line dancin characters often cause a storm!
:dance3:

Wow! looks like HDDR has a big lead!!! Glad to see that....this is what we are doing with our kids, 3,4 & 8. We went YEARS ago....hope it's still as good.

We have HDDR booked for this August and honestly I hope it is better than BYBBQ. The food was gross when we went last August:confused: It was great for character interaction but --this is just my opinion--ya kinda have to like country music or it makes for a very loooong evening. Glad I tried it but will not be going back again.

Definitely HDDR! We saw many young children who loved the show and would dance in their seats or by the table. It is a lively show and should keep young and old engaged.

I didn't vote. We've done HDDR and the kids love it. The food was good and the how is fun. We are doing both HDDR and the BBQ this year!

I made a mistake like the PP! Given the ages of the kids in your party I would say BBQ! I went once, and the food was really good, but we didn't have any younger kids in our group. If we did I think we would have enjoyed the entertainment much more!

But I'll always be a huge HDDR fan and advocate!!

BBQ

The ages of the kids are going to make it hard for them to sit through Hoop. While the entertainment is more fun at Hoop I think the kids are going to enjoy BBQ better.

Anyway you choose it will be fun and with that many kids you are bound to get some great photos. Have a wonderful time!

My kids saw the HDDR as babies, toddlers and preschoolers and they loved it each time!!! There is room around tables for kids to dance, my kids loved watching the actors and actresses dance around. It is a good show for a large group which we have also done and had so much fun!!!

The BBQ seems to be hit or miss depending on who is also in the crowd that night with you b/c it can be quite hectic and frenzied. Seemed like more work to keep the little ones safe from being pushed and trampled by the crowd around the characters whereas at HDDR you are entertained, served, and fed and all leave happy!!

We have done both and the kids liked both. The character interaction at the BYBBQ is good. We went to the HDDR and my son got picked to go on stage to be the Texas Ranger on his birthday, so that is why it get the edge. The food is nothing special at either and I agree with a PP that it could come from the same kitchen.

Ok, so I voted Hoop Dee Doo too quickly. Mainly b/c it is one of my favorites. After looking at the ages of the children in your party, I am having a change of heart...I think the little ones would much rather enjoy the Backyard BBQ. While the Revue is great for all ages, it is a long time for the little ones to sit.
Regardless, the adults should have a good time at either one:thumbsup2
Happy planning!

Ditto on the sitting. I took my two grandchildren ages 5 and 6 and they liked the BBQ better because they were up and dancing with Mickey. For them it was a party and not a show.

When we went to hoop dee doo they both got picked to be in the show, but they still liked the BBQ better. We're going back this August and I only booked the BBQ.

Can't speak for Hoop de do but just got back and went to Backyard BBQ while there. DW thought it was the best food we had, not including Jiko. There is a character greeting with Chip and Dale and Goofy that starts at 5:30, only lasts for about 30min. They let people in at about 6:15. You pick your own table, rows of picnic tables, and then get your food. Menu: Mixed salad, cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, corn on cob, hamburger, hot dog, bbq chicken and ribs. Freezers with mickey bars and popscicles for dessert. Oh, cornbread too. Ribs were excellent. also, all you can drink lemonade, fruit punch, ice tea, beer and wine. The show is a little hokey but the band is good, the characters come out-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale, and dance on the dance floor with the kids. Yes its a madhouse at first but after the first song or two it calms down. My DD's, 4yr, were pretty worn out by the time it all started so they were ready to leave after the characters came out the first time to dance but my wife and I would have stayed. Would definitely do it again.

Do you just get there early for the character greeting or what? I didn't know they had this and have our first reservation scheduled for Oct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter