backyard barbeques/lets get hungry

Mickeyfaniam

<Font color=CC00FF>Corrupted by all you guys!<br><
I posted this on the CB and then learned of this board (only took me 2000 posts)DUH!! anyway i'm putting it here now!!

Ok I have to throw a few parties this summer and I have to attend a few and bring a dish, so I've been racking my brain trying to think of something different to add to my parties and/or something different to take to someone elses......then i had a brainstorm!!!!! Ill ask you guys.......so whats your favorite backyard party dish and don't forget to tell us how to make it!!

Come on guys....make our mouths water!!

I apoligize if this has been asked before, if it was I didn't see it

taco dip
bottom layer.....
refried beans
on top of that.....pkg cream cheese softened with sour cream.....also taco seasoning pkg
drained jar of salsa of choice.......
on top of that
chopped tomatoes
chopped scallions
chopped lettuce
small can of black olives....sliced
on top of that
more sour cream
guacomole
and shredded mexican cheese
this is so good and especially if your bbq is outside
use big tortilla chips to dip it up......
never ever any of this is left

This is a great recipe...especially good for hot summer days...

Cold Carrots

2 pounds carrots...peeled and boiled til just tender
1 medium green pepper
1 medium onion
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup oil
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp each: salt, pepper, mustard

Simmer sugar, oil, vinegar and soup till well blended. Blend in salt pepper and mustard. Slice carrots into chunks, chop onion and pepper and mix all together. Refrigerate overnight.

Chick Pea Dip

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
a 19-ounce can chick-peas, rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, chopped and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves, washed well and spun dry
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Accompaniment: toasted pita wedges or toasted French bread slices

In a food processor blend all ingredients except oil until smooth. With motor running add oil in a slow stream. Season dip with salt. Serve dip with toasts

I prepare this a few days in advance. Cover with saran wrap touching the top of the dip creating a seal.

I also do an eggplant dip if anyone cares.

broccoli salad
1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces, I don't use the stalks
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 small onion chopped fine
10-12 strips bacon, cooked crisped and crumbled (I have left this out and it still taste great!)

1 cup mayo (I like Helmainse Light)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix dressing together and pour over broccoli and raisin, cheese and onions. stir till well coated

The broccoli salad sounds great!

Gina, I make a dip almost identical to yours! I'd love to hear your eggplant recipe if you want to post it!

:D

Go to Sam's Club and get a Sadler's smoked brisket. Heat in oven according to package directions in a good pre-made barbeque sauce. The last party I made this for people were picking at it before it was even put on a serving platter. Wonderful.

Any time I go to something where everyone brings a dish, I make ham and cheese bread. It's a loaf of homemade bread that is braided and stuffed with diced ham and cheese. I usually make one with honey baked ham, and if I need to take more, I make another one with some type of lunchmeat from the deli. (I have them cut a big chunk so that I can dice it.) I follow this recipe, but I leave out the olives and pimientos.

If you have a good counter top mixer, you can double the recipe and make it in there.

thanks you guys for all the great ideas and feel free to keep them coming!
I'm going to print them out:D

If it isn't too hot for a green salad give this one a try. It is always a big hit with a crowd. Sorry I don't have exact measurements, but I've made this so long that I do it from memory. I usually use a huge tupperware bowl.

Missy's Layered Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce
1 head cauliflower
frozen peas (I usually buy a lg. sack and use part of it)
sm. jar mayo
salad seasoning
parmesan cheese

Tear up the lettuce in a large bowl. Top with cauliflower cut into small pieces. Next add a solid layer of frozen peas (don't worry about thawing them). Spread an even layer of mayo over the peas, covering completely. Sprinkle with a layer of salad seasoning. (Many people have never heard of salad seasoning. It is a red-orange seasoning with paprika, cheese, celery, garlic, etc in it. My latest brand is McCormick and it is called Salad Supreme, but the brand doesn't matter. Use whatever you can find). Then a layer of parmesan cheese. I put these in that order so I can see that I have good coverage. Amounts are not that important. Make it to your taste. Put on the lid and refrigerate overnight.

When it is time to eat, toss the salad and enjoy! Folks at our church suppers love it. In fact, at pot-lucks they sign me up for this and don't give me a choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter