Backstage Magic October 2014 Trip Report

pudinhd

DIS Veteran
I have never written a trip report before, but a fellow Adventurer said she wanted to read one written by me, so I am giving it a shot. I was already taking notes for our records, so hopefully this will be somewhat easy! This was our second ABD trip, both the Backstage Magic, but this was an adults only trip. Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer anything I can! :yay:

DAY 1
We arrived at the Grand Californian Hotel and waited for our driver. As we waited, we were joined by a single traveler and a family of 3. Our driver showed up and we were surprised that the driver was only there to pick us up. Rather than sending a larger vehicle for all 3 groups, there were separate cars for each of us. Once we got into the car, my husband commented that it felt like we were on the Amazing Race! Unfortunately, we arrived in third place when our driver took the long route… I didn’t know you could travel so many freeways to get from Anaheim to Hollywood - 5, 91, 605, 105, 110, and 101.

Once we arrived at the Loews Hollywood Hotel, we were met in the lobby by Jason. He took us upstairs to meet Summer-Rose. We received a welcome gift of a zippered duffel bag that folds pretty small and an attendee list. We were told to meet at 5:30 for the welcome night. After we got settled in our room, we went downstairs and spoke with Jason and Summer-Rose for a little bit. I mentioned how much I was hoping we would be surprised with a trip to the Dream Suite. We walked around the Hollywood and Highland Center and went to Coldstone Creamery where we tried the Campfire S’mores creation. We went back to our room to watch football, catch up on email, and take a nap. The hotel is much nicer since the remodel, and the room is great, but the hallway and neighboring room noise seemed loud.

We went downstairs for dinner around 5:30. We followed the guides to a private room where we sat down at tables set for 8 people. Each group gave a little personal information about themselves, how many Adventures they had been on, and what they were most looking forward to. There were a lot of anniversaries and a few birthdays. Jason and Summer-Rose passed out cards and pins for the celebrations. Next was an A to Z list game for Disney Characters. We had to start with A and work down in order of the letters. As this was a trip in October, there would be 2 points for villains. We made it all the way to X, where we got stuck. My husband said Xerxes, but we didn’t write it down and the time expired. As it was, we ended up winning by 1 point, thanks to King Louie! (Yes, we said he was a villain!) Our prize… We went through the buffet line first. After dinner Jason told us about the Nightmare Before Christmas time capsule he found and how it contained our Day 1 pins!

Once the festivities were complete, our guides told us about the optional surprise activity for the evening… A trip to the wax museum! My husband decided to stay at the hotel, but I joined the rest of the group. Being pretty shy, I attempted some selfies, but the guides and some of the other guests volunteered to take pictures of me. In particular, thanks to a guest for offering her daughter’s picture taking assistance and setting up a picture with Audrey Hepburn using the props! When we entered the Marvel movie theater, I was looking for a dry seat and ended up sitting with them. During the 4-D show I determined why most of the seats were dry… The water is shot directly into your face! So much for putting on the hood of my jacket!

After the movie, the guests separated to do their own thing. I walked back to the hotel with a couple from Boston and then went back to the hotel room to show the pictures to my husband and tell him about the fun he missed.

I would love to go on this trip someday! Looking forward to reading your report.:surfweb:

I would love to go on this trip someday! Looking forward to reading your report.:surfweb:

I would definitely suggest this to any Disney fan!!! I am already talking to my husband about when we can go again! :love:

We are taking this trip next August so really looking forward to further instalments!
Thanks

Lorraine

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Sounds like a great start, can't wait to hear more.

BTW does King Louie count as a "k" or an "l" character?

We are taking this trip next August so really looking forward to further instalments!
Thanks

Lorraine

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am posting the next day really soon!!

Sounds like a great start, can't wait to hear more.

BTW does King Louie count as a "k" or an "l" character?

Actually, that did come up... Once we established King Louie WAS indeed a villain, the next question was the "K" or "L"! :stir:

DAY 2
We met at 7 am for our first morning breakfast at the hotel. The food was really good and we had a lot of fun talking and getting to know the people at our table.

On our first ABD Backstage Magic trip, we had the opportunity to do a tour at the El Capitan Theatre and visit the Jimmy Kimmel Show. We really enjoyed both of these, but were looking forward to something new.

We walked through the Hollywood and Highland Center and learned about the Hollywood sign and the death of Peg Entwistle. We walked to the entrance of the Dolby Theatre and talked about the Academy Awards and the themed decorative elements near the theater. We continued the walk to the TCL Chinese Theatre for a backstage tour. We learned about the history of the theater and its movie premieres, the movie costumes and props in the lobby, and watched a time lapse video of the 2013 IMAX theatre construction. We went out to the front of the theater to look at the handprints and hear more stories.

After a short break, we met in the lobby for the bus trip to the Jim Henson Studios. Our fun-loving guides showed they were kids-at-heart when Jason surprised us dressed in a full-body Kermit costume. Summer-Rose didn’t miss the fun wearing her Animal hat.

We were met by Grant, whom we recognized from our first ABD trip, and split into 2 groups: Kermit and Animal. (Go Kermie!) The Kermit group started watching a short movie about the Jim Henson Studios. We went into the reception area next where we were each given the opportunity to hold a real Emmy!! The next stop was a conference room called Big Bob. There was a very fun painting of Jim Henson with all of the characters created by the Jim Henson Studios. (I think it used to be in a property they owned in New York.) We went to the loft where we learned about controlling puppets by computer and special electronics. After a quick stop to take a picture with the blue dinosaur, we were joined by the other group and taken to a sound stage for a puppet demonstration. The mom I mentioned during the wax museum volunteered to participate and she was amazing! We took pictures with puppet DJ Panda and had a quick shopping opportunity.

I can’t forget to mention the project Summer-Rose and Jason were up all night working on… Puppets for everyone! We had fun playing with them on the bus ride. It’s a little hard to see them, but they are eyes with an elastic band to go around your fingers, and your thumb makes the mouth!

Our lunch break was at the Tam O’Shanter restaurant, a significant step up from eating at the Jim Henson Studios on tables in the parking lot. We ate lunch with a family of 3; parents who were celebrating their 40th anniversary and their daughter who didn’t want to miss out on the fun. The daughter had been to the ABD Knights and Lights trip twice, and her parents had been on that trip once. I was really excited to hear about their stories because that is my dream trip! My husband had the prime rib and I had the fish and chips. Each table was taken out of the room separately to sit at Walt Disney’s favorite table and hear a little about his visits to the restaurant.

The next stop was a surprise trip to Walt’s barn at the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society. After a brief talk to the entire group, we again split into our 2 groups. The Kermit group first went into the barn to hear stories and view the displays. We were given the privilege of holding George Bruns’ Disney Legends award! (Wow, was it heavy!) We switched with the other group and were able to sit on the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad #101 (I googled this for the name, so hopefully it is correct) and hear stories about Walt’s love of trains and the early days at Disneyland. This train car was newly acquired since our last ABD Backstage Magic trip, so that was exciting. Unfortunately, we were unable to ride on the 1/8 scale train around the track like we did on our first rip.

On the bus trip back to the hotel, Summer-Rose and Jason told us they had found another time capsule! (It looked very similar to the first night’s time capsule, by the way.) They passed out the pin of the day and gave us the details for the next day. Then they asked if we wanted another surprise before the personal time for the rest of the day. Of course, everyone was excited and said yes. After a short break, we would be meeting at Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop for an ice cream social! Yay!!! My husband had the Cookie Bits Sundae and I had the Strawberry Hot Fudge Sundae. They were super yummy!! As we were finishing our sundaes, our table-mates were getting ready to leave. But, as we enjoyed the company of the other adventurers so much, we switched to another table and had even more fun! We were laughing, and laughing, and laughing! This was such a fun surprise!

Once we left the ice cream shop, we walked back to our hotel room to relax. We watched some Monday Night Football and finally ordered take-out from Johnny Rockets. Not because we were hungry (ice cream has to be one of the best ways to ruin dinner!), but because we knew we would be even hungrier if we didn’t eat. We each had a BLT and split an order of half fries and half onion rings. We watched Dancing with the Stars and then went to bed.

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm doing the BSM this December. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Jim Henson Studios. What time did you finish up on day 2?

Sounds like the people you travelled with were a lot of fun. I'm sure that must of helped make the trip wonderful.

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm doing the BSM this December. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Jim Henson Studios. What time did you finish up on day 2?

How fun to go in December!! I think we were in the bus on the way to the hotel around 3-something. We had the ice cream social around 4-ish because I was thinking that it was going to ruin our dinner plans... But in a good way! :yay:

Sounds like the people you travelled with were a lot of fun. I'm sure that must of helped make the trip wonderful.

Yes!!!!!! :dance3: We have been in touch with several members of our adventure and are planning to see them again!!

Absolutely awesome! Will be in the January trip and can't wait!!! Very exciting indeed!!!

How fun! We just got back from the Backstage Magic tour, looking forward to reading more. :)

DAY 3
We were super excited to meet for breakfast at 7 am and again had a blast with our table-mates! We met in the lobby at 8:15 am for a bus ride through Los Feliz and the Burbank Media District as we drove to Walt Disney Imagineering. We were met by Dave and another man whose name I can’t remember. Coincidentally, Dave was also someone we remembered from our first Backstage Magic adventure! We walked through a hallway designed as a monorail (new since our first trip). The windows were video screens and if the video was watched straight through, it would be about 40 minutes long. We went into a room that was familiar to us and watched a brief video. Dave started talking about audio-animatronics and pulled back a black curtain to introduce us to… Lucky the Dinosaur! It was just as cool meeting Lucky the second time around!

After everyone had their picture time with Lucky, we split into 2 groups. Yep, you guessed it! Animal and Kermit! The Kermit group went into the Sculpture Department first. We were able to view and take pictures with the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves statues from the grotto at Disneyland. Highlights included a fountain of “La Place de Rémy”, heads from the Hall of Presidents, and many different characters. There was a head without eyes or hair and when asked who it was, I correctly guessed that it was Johnny Depp. I mean, come on, Johnny Depp!

We switched with the Animals and went into a Sound Editing room. During our first trip, we had sat in a corner of the same room and listened to something on headphones, which was what happened even for the tour just prior to ours. The two gentlemen talked about what they do and about working on Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland. They talked about Danny Elfman and how he wanted a free-flowing composition so that each area of the ride had its own experience, like a ride within a ride. When you left one room, you would instantly get different music specific to that room, as opposed to one score running through the entire ride. (Thanks to my husband for the help with the words, but we are not doing the description justice!) Even our guides, Jason and Summer-Rose, were surprised and excited about the experience. We met up with the others in the Sculpture Department for a group photo with the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves statues. We were given some free time to shop at Mickey’s of Glendale and a 40% off coupon per person! Yay!!! I bought a sweatshirt and my husband bought me a mug. (What a great guy!)

We walked back to the bus and traveled back through the Burbank Media District to the Disney Studios! We started with lunch at the commissary and were given coupons for a main dish, side, drink, and dessert. We enjoyed eating with the mom and daughter I mentioned when discussing the wax museum on day 1. It was very brief as there was limited time available for lunch and shopping. We walked around the Disney Studios store, but there wasn’t anything that really caught my eye. Once the entire group was back together, we started the tour at Dopey Drive, Mickey Avenue, and Pluto Corner.

If I am remembering this correctly, we went into the animation building and then underground through the morgue to the ink and paint department. (I might have walked where Jennifer Garner was during the filming of Alias!) We definitely did not go into the morgue on our first ABD. We then walked to the Frank G Wells Building and split into our groups. Kermit went to Legends Plaza where we were able to take pictures and explore the awards. Unfortunately, there was filming going on in one of the corners and we were unable to walk around in that area. We switched with the Animal group and went into The Walt Disney Archives department. We’ve been in there several times thanks to ABD and a very kind Disney Cast Member we met on opening night of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, but it is just as amazing every time! Our guide, Jason, said he had a surprise for us and we were definitely surprised! We were each able to hold and take pictures with an Oscar… AN ACADEMY AWARD!!! Wow! I wish I had taken a picture of the plaque on the statue, but we think it was for a documentary.

Next stop was the bus for the drive to the Grand Californian Hotel in Anaheim!! We watched the beginning of Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl on the way. Knowing the normal Los Angeles traffic, the drive really wasn’t that bad and seemed to go fairly quickly. We received our room assignments and split up to check out the rooms and get set for the evening at Disneyland. We saw several of the Adventurers on their balconies and it seemed that a lot of us were in an L shape on the same floor. We had a pool view and could see Grizzly Peak!

We changed into our Halloween costumes for Mickey’s Halloween Party and met in the lobby at 5:00 pm. We met the Disneyland Ambassadors, Sachiko White and Megan Navarette, and learned about the Ambassador program. Sachiko and Megan also told us how they found a time capsule that contained our pin of the day! Yay!!

The group walked over to Storytellers Café for dinner. There seemed to be some confusion as our guides wanted us to be able to order off the menu, but the restaurant wanted us to go through the buffet. We ended up at the buffet, which in my opinion was better, because I think it allowed us to get into Disneyland earlier.

Mickey’s Halloween Party! We stopped for a quick talk and surprises once we had gotten our party bracelets and goodie bags. Surprise #1 - We were given 1 Fast Pass. Surprise #2 – We would have a surprise after the park closed. We were also reminded about the VIP seating for the cavalcade and fireworks. We joined up with a couple from Canada as this was their first trip to Disneyland. We started with rides: Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Indiana Jones. (Yes, after every ride I asked how it compared to Disney World!) We headed over to the awesome VIP parade seating. We had a lot of fun with everyone as we waited for the cavalcade to begin. There were a lot of people trying to get into our reserved section and had to be (politely) asked to move by our guides or Disneyland Cast Members. At one point even Summer-Rose was almost asked to leave the area, which we thought was a little bit funny!

After the cavalcade, the Canadians and I weaved our way quickly through the crowds to Star Tours before the fireworks, while my husband stayed at the benches.

We watched the fireworks and had a great view of the big ball (what would you call it?) and Zero flying.

Before we separated again, we were told that we needed to meet at the Haunted Mansion at 11:00 pm. Then we went through our first treat trail while waiting for Fantasyland to open. We decided to use our Fast Passes for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. I am not a fan of this version and it was not a big hit with the other couple. My husband passed on this ride and gave his Fast Pass to a single rider he found. Walking toward Fantasyland I saw the Storybook Land Canal Boats only had about 5 people in the line. We rushed over there and were on a boat within a couple minutes. A young woman on our boat had a large bag of candy and offered some to the Cast Member piloting the boat. Because she was so nice, the Cast Member said she would show us a hidden Mickey in the Cave of Wonders. It’s on the right near the very beginning of the cave. She stopped the boat and pointed her flashlight at the spot until everyone saw it!

We went through our second treat trail and the Cast Members said something about guests not liking the Peanut Chews. My husband and I mentioned how much we liked them and received huge handfuls. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (why do I keep going on rides that I do not like?) was next and then I led everyone to the treat trail through the Pinocchio Village Haus restaurant. I really love what they do for atmosphere there! We walked over to Big Thunder Ranch for the treat trail and I was the last guest through one of the Cast Member’s lines. He asked what my favorite was, I looked at the candy bin and said everything, so he scooped up a large amount of candy and put it in my bag! We continued on toward the Haunted Mansion and did the Rivers of America treat trail while listening to the Cadaver Dans. Even without trying, our goodie bags were full by this time! (After weighing the treats once we returned home, we had almost 4 pounds.)

We met at the Haunted Mansion and we were given the news once everyone was there… We would go on a private ABD ride and then have a talk with the Head Technical person, Joseph. That was really special and very informative. My highlight was when I asked about the Monkey Bride (Yes, I saw it during the ride) and learned about the history from the beginning. We also learned a couple other secrets I didn’t know about, including that about 95% of the Haunted Mansion decorations are actually stored in the mansion itself.

We enjoyed the walk back to the hotel, but I was surprised at how many people were still in the park!

Fun surprise pictures were taken by our guides when we weren’t around…

Another brilliant day for sure ! Can't wait for the next but I'm in Europe... That time difference ... :mad:

Another brilliant day for sure ! Can't wait for the next but I'm in Europe... That time difference ... :mad:

Thanks!!! It's coming really soon....

But, I do have a general disclaimer... I went on the rides I don't like by my own choice and was not forced on any rides by anyone from Canada. :rolleyes1 Just in case anyone was wondering...

DAY 4
We opened the park… And we closed the park!

The group met in the lobby at 8 am and we walked to Disneyland. We entered before everyone and took a group photo in front of the giant floral Mickey at the entrance, then a group photo in front of the giant Mickey pumpkin. It was so special walking, running, skipping down Main Street with just our group!

At one point, the mom from the wax museum dropped her bag and ran down Main Street toward the castle… It was funny because she gave no thought to her bag, but it was even funnier when I found out it was her daughter’s bag! We took family photos in front of the Partners Statue and then in front of the castle.

Once the pictures were done, it was time for Breakfast with Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn! While enjoying a yummy meal, we were visited by Fairy Godmother, Captain Hook, Tigger, Chip, and Pooh. I am a character lover, so I would have been even happier had we seen more!

We walked over to Indiana Jones for a backstage experience to learn about the ride vehicles. (Yes, this was a part of our first trip.) We were then able to enjoy the ride, which was great after learning so much about it.

We split into our groups again and Kermit went to the Enchanted Tiki Room for a show. Once we switched, we were taken into Walt’s apartment above the fire station. We were privileged to visit it on our first ABD, but I had asked about going on the patio and was told it was not allowed. However, they were doing work on the main entrance and we were taken up the back staircase through the patio!! It was beautiful and so wonderful sitting out there!

We met up with the group outside the Tiki Room and walked over to Pirates of the Caribbean. I thought we were just going on the ride, but Summer-Rose and Jason gave us the biggest surprise for me… We were going into the Dream Suite!!!! (Yay!!!!!!!!!!) I was so excited my eyes started watering and I really had to fight to keep from crying. Since the Animal group went into Walt’s Apartment first, we would go into the Dream Suite first (Yes!) and the Animal group went on Pirates. We were taken up a back way to an elevator to a side entrance of the suite. Once our group was gathered (2 elevator trips), we were allowed into the Dream Suite and I entered first! (Thanks to the gentleman we met at the Grand before heading to Hollywood.) We had been up there before when it was the gallery and had even bought tickets for the Fantasmic dessert seating several times, but this was different. The pictures, the furniture, the special touches, everything was just amazing! I loved the little extras that the Imagineers added for a place that not many people will have the honor of seeing. We toured the master bedroom, the living room, and the guest room. Thanks to a wonderful woman in our group, I was able to push the button to see the special effect in the guest room and it surprised us all to see a train leave what we thought was a glass case and travel around the room. We went out on the balcony to take pictures and enjoy the view. Even though I didn’t push the button, my favorite thing was when the castle and a firework lit up in the mirror and music played. I think it was Once Upon a Dream, but my mind was too overwhelmed to remember all of the details. Before we left, I offered to housesit…

Summer-Rose and Jason had another surprise for us and we looked around for a spot big enough for our group. We were going to Aladdin’s Oasis, but there was a private party. We tried Jolly Holiday Bakery, but it was packed, so we stopped behind the red corndog wagon for a short while before we were told about the available tables at the Refreshment Corner. (Many thanks to Adrienne who was our “human Fast Pass” and was always there with a smile!) We were given Dole Whips to enjoy as the other group arrived. While we enjoyed the treat, we were told about the finding of another time capsule! Yay for the pin of the day! Jason and Summer-Rose gave us our park tickets and a surprise of 5 Fast Passes! But, wait, there’s more! We each received a $20 food voucher and a surprise of reserved seating for Mickey’s Soundsational Parade!!

The food vouchers were great as they lasted 2 meals. However, I still remember the lunch on this day of our first trip. We ate at my favorite restaurant, Café Orleans, and were joined by, Time Keeper, a pirate. Once we finished lunch, the entire group went on Pirates of the Caribbean with Time Keeper. It was a memory that has stuck with me!

As we separated from the group, we continued hanging out with our friends from the North… East… Canada. As we walked past the castle, my husband and I decided to detour a little and show them Snow White’s Grotto, since we had seen the original statues the day before. That is such a great little nook of the park!

Next stop was the Matterhorn and the single rider line. (Continuing the why did I go on this ride #3.) Small World was next, which my husband skipped, and I told our new friends that there were 29 Disney characters in our version. It was a lot of fun looking for all of them! We continued toward Toon Town and went on Roger Rabbit, which wasn’t as bad as the last time I rode it. Somehow my husband and I ended up backward and couldn’t even spin our way out of it. We decided to use a Fast Pass on Buzz Lightyear, but I had forgotten that it no longer takes them, so Star Tours it was! Crossing the great divide between the two rides, I met my first Storm Trooper and took a picture. We rode Star Tours (no husband again) and then we all went on Thunder Mountain.

We went to a late lunch / early dinner at the Hungry Bear Restaurant (my husband’s favorite) and ate downstairs near the water. We went on an enjoyable ride on the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh before I regretfully decided to go on Splash Mountain with a Fast Pass. My husband was smart and skipped this ride. I do not think the line to go on a ride has ever moved quicker than it did for this ride. We sat down, I grabbed on for dear life, and I did not let go until the ride was over. (We are now on why did I go on this ride #4.) The Canadian wife decided that her husband needed to buy a souvenir shirt so that she could wear it and attempt to warm up.

My husband walked to the parade seating while the three of us, still pretty wet, we took the train from New Orleans Square to Toon Town to Tomorrowland to Main Street (the best leg of the trip!) We walked up Main Street and found our VIP parade seating. My poor husband was there attempting to fend off people from the reserved section before we arrived, which was before the guides arrived. We were in the same spot as the night before and had wonderful seats for my favorite parade!

After the parade, the four of us went on Thunder Mountain twice in a row using our Fast Passes. We pointed out the Ray Bradbury tree to the Disneyland newbies as we walked through Frontierland on the way to Star Tours. We, minus my husband, went on Star Tours and finally went underwater (my favorite scene)! We did the tea cups, my husband skipped it, the wife and I were in a tea cup and didn’t spin, while her husband spun his heart out in a tea cup of his own. We went on the carrousel, then on Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, enjoyed the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough, and then walked back to the hotel.

We walked into our hotel room and noticed some items on the dresser… Pictures printed for us by our guides and cookies and milk!! What a yummy surprise!

What a busy – fun, but busy – day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter