• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Backstage California with a Ecv?

skittlesfirehawk

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at doing April 2017 solo backstage magic California abd trip.i am concerned about using an Ecv.I can transfer or leave the scooter places if needed but I can't walk or Stand for more than about an hr.

I don't really think this would be an issue. Our bus that took us around the various places in LA and from LA to Disneyland was handicapped equipped so could have easily accommodated an ECV or wheelchair and for the few things that were not "handicapped" accessible at Disneyland, as long as you can walk for short periods of time you would have been fine. It would be like visiting the park on your own, having to transfer for the few attractions that you do ride etc, maybe to see certain things in the backstage area, like backstage at Radiator Springs, but to get there you could easily use your ECV. You would have to leave the ECV outside Walt's Apartment and take the stairs up but I believe there is an elevator up to the Dream Suite so that wouldn't be an issue for you. I think as long as you are very open with the guides about what you can and cannot do, then you would be fine and they would assist you when and how they could.

I think as long as you are very open with the guides about what you can and cannot do, then you would be fine and they would assist you when and how they could.
Just thought I'd mention, I believe ABD's policy is that the Adventure Guides are not allowed to physically help you, although they will of course try to arrange things to work for you the best that's possible. I imagine it's a liability thing.

Sayhello

Just thought I'd mention, I believe ABD's policy is that the Adventure Guides are not allowed to physically help you, although they will try to arrange things to work for you the best that's possible.

Sayhello

That's what I was trying to say but my brain is tired. That they would try to accommodate in that they would let her use the elevator up to the Dream Suite and make sure she could see and was not stuck behind everyone all the time, not that they would physically help her out of the ECV. Plus she did say she could transfer just that she couldn't walk/stand for long periods of time. I guess I meant facilitate, more than accommodate.

I'm looking at doing April 2017 solo backstage magic California abd trip.i am concerned about using an Ecv.I can transfer or leave the scooter places if needed but I can't walk or Stand for more than about an hr.
We had someone in our group last year with a wheelchair and she was unable to go into the muppets viewing theatre. I recall steps or something of the sorts. That I know she couldn't do

We had someone in our group last year with a wheelchair and she was unable to go into the muppets viewing theatre. I recall steps or something of the sorts. That I know she couldn't do

OP shouldn't have a problem with this though since she said she's in an ECV and can transfer. Plus there are seats inside the theater that she can sit in. She just can't walk/stand for long periods. May just need to leave the ECV outside some of the buildings at Muppet Studios as well.

Bad knees here and I have used an EVC many times.

Just let your agent and /or ABD know.

This would let them know that a certain type of buss would be necessary.

My agent contacted abd and they seem pretty adamant I wouldn't need a scooter since they would let me rest if needed.im still insisting on one for Disneyland portion

Last edited:
There are lots of opportunities to rest but not necessarily a lot of opportunities to sit down. I know one lady on our tour had this issue. The places to sit down kind of put you away from the group.

My agent contacted abd and they seem pretty adamant I wouldn't need a scooter since they would let me rest if needed.
On the three of our BSM trips a few people found it was best to have a scooter on the park days. Most got by without one on the Hollywood/Burbank days. I'd take @DisneyKevin's advice as he's got some good first-hand experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter