Background Check

Jordin

Earning My Ears
Okay, so does Disney hire people with dismissed shoplifting charges? What if the case was also expunged?

I'm scared to disclose it for fear of being terminated. But I'm also scared to not disclose it and be terminated. Darned if I do, darned if i don't.

During my phone interview, they never asked about dismissed misdemeanors... I would've brought it up then and disclosed it over the phone.

But I'm terrified to disclose it now. What should I do? Anyone else have any experience with this?

One of my son's room mates had something like that in his background and was scared too, but if it was dismissed or expunged, you do not have to disclose and it will not show up in a background check. The purpose of the system for expunging is to give a second chance to those with minor crimes on their juvenile record to have a clean start. You should be just fine

This is an old post, but if your case was truly expunged (you have a signed and sealed order of expunction from a judge) then you should never reveal that you ever had a charge against you. Expunction means that every record has been removed from state and federal databases, all physical copies were destroyed and, in the eyes of the law, it never happened at all. You can legally claim that the charge never occurred and you can actually sue any background check company that reports old data on you to employers.

I know this is an older post but Im going through the exact same thing right now. My record was suppose to be cleared but they found the old offence. I called the courts and the lady I spoke with said that the record was never cleared like it was suppose to be. I filled out the deposition for them and faxed it back this morning but Im extremely nervous because I didn't tell them and I dont want them to think I lied on my application..I was only 15 when this happened. It was 8 years ago. I don't know whats going to happen..Do you have an update on what happened with you?

I know this is an older post but Im going through the exact same thing right now. My record was suppose to be cleared but they found the old offence. I called the courts and the lady I spoke with said that the record was never cleared like it was suppose to be. I filled out the deposition for them and faxed it back this morning but Im extremely nervous because I didn't tell them and I dont want them to think I lied on my application..I was only 15 when this happened. It was 8 years ago. I don't know whats going to happen..Do you have an update on what happened with you?
Things may not look well for you. Disney is known for being very selective with its hires and even if they aren't supposed to have this information, they have it now and you won't be able to reasonably prove that they rejected you for it. Cross your fingers and try to understand why your information is still public record. Go back to your records from the event and find out what the final recorded offense was, the court's position, and how it should impact your record. I don't know much about juvenile offenses but I was under the impression that they were sealed. If possible, set up a meeting with a lawyer, either a consultation with someone local, with your family's attorney if they have one, or see if your university has a student attorney. If the courts acted improperly you may have some recourse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!