Back to Universal after a 10 Years

Patch'sD

DIS Veteran
Universal Orlando Monday April 27- Friday May 1

Back Story

My wife and I headed to Universal for her milestone birthday. We traveled JetBlue from NY JFK to Orlando MCO. Airfare was under $ 200 per person. We purchased Annual Passes for the both of us, the total was $ 511. We had reservations at the Portofino Hotel for the entire stay, rate was $ 199 per night with the AP Discount for a garden view room. We had reserved a Budget Rental car, Kia Forte for $ 195 for the five days. Flight to Orlando was uneventful arrived on time at about 1 PM on Monday. Asked for an upgrade at Budget and was offered a Cadillac STS for $25 more per day. Jumped on that as the rental for that car goes for about $450 per day. Checked in at Portofino about 2:30 PM and was upgraded to a Deluxe room with a Patio in the west wing, Villa pool view.

The Very Good.

Express Pass, There is nothing that beats this on-site Deluxe Pool Perk.

Harry Potter Forbidden Journey was an excellent ride, 20 Minute wait at about 5 PM at park closing the line was down to 15 Minutes which is about the time it takes you to walk through the queue.

Theming for Harry Potter in both parks was excellent. Thought Diagon Alley was a little better. Loved Escape from Gringots thought the queue was much better too. Universal Out Did Disney on these two attractions and areas.

Spiderman, We have not been there in about 10 years so the enhanced Video just improved this ride so much, Stan lee add was a nice touch. Who is the women walking with Stan.

Emeril’s, first time we ate there. Excellent food and Service. Had a nice view of City Walk from our table. Someone said there was a famous female singer sitting next to us. Didn’t know her sings some song “Call Me Maybe”

Jimmy Buffet’s Margaretville, Nothing beats a burger and Volcano Nacho’s. Had nice meal there as well as Hard Rock Cafe

Simpson’s Nice touch on all of the shops and theming in this area. Was partial to Back to the Future as we first rode this when they were testing it in 1990. Simpson’s is a welcome upgrade, very nice time on the ride.

MIB, first ride hit 999,999. However I must say I had that score almost immediately after leaving the training area. Glitch I guess.

Transformers, or should I call it Spiderman 2.0 as it is the same ride vehicle and almost the same story line except with transformers.

The Mummy, Hulk, Jurassic Park, Shrek, Hanna Barbara, No Jimmy Neutron, No Minions. Cat in the Hat, The Flying Machines at Seuss Landing finally working after 16 Years.

The Villa Pool at Portofino, Nice and empty and Quiet. Hot tub Story to follow in the Not So Good.

The Good.

The Parks were not that crowded and it was pleasant. Weather was cloudy and a little wet. Tuesday morning it poured but after that very little rain. Hotel Staff and Portofino was very good except for one idiot who thought they were in charge, see hot tub story

The lockers, Lockers are a pain. Must have forgotten locker number at least 4 times.

Rip Ride Roller Coaster, 57 Year old men should not be allowed on that. Never Again. Dr Doom was good and so was the Hulk. Understand the metal detectors as ride delays are at a minimum now.

Boat Transportation to the parks was good. However they seemed to wait longer at the Hotel and City Walk.

Using the Mandarin Spa to change and shower on Friday Afternoon after we checked out.

Since we knew it was Grad Weekend, the parks closing at 6PM on Friday didn’t bother us, we were already headed back to the real world

One Bad Thing.

At the Hot tub by the Villa Pool one night there were chaise lounges all around it. No Sign. I called the front desk to see if it was open. They said it was. We went in. Next thing some guy with a tan shirt yells at us for being in the Hot Tub. Tell him front desk said it was OK, He said he is in charge and the front desk doesn’t know anything. When there is a problem, you call the front desk right. Anyhow went to the Hotel manager the next morning to complain. Wound up with 4 $15 Drink vouchers and a voucher for a free pizza at Sal’s. Most likely the first and last time I will ever have Johnnie Walker Blue on the rocks.

Well that’s it. A great time. Since we already have the annual passes we most likely head back to the best darn theme parks in the world in Sept or Oct. Enjoy.

On MIB you might have hit the secret spots. There are special targets that are worth up to a Million points.

You could be right. I was sad to see they don't put the scores on the pictures. I would have gotten that to show my son who could believe I got six 9's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter