Back three weeks, time to think about my highs and lows

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
Cant believe we are back three weeks already.. Some of you probably read my live trip report but I have had a lot of time to think about our highs and low so here goes. Stayed three weeks from 11th August. Will start with lows as I am struggling to think of any.

Holiday originally started out with 15 of us going but friends and family just couldn't afford it which was really sad. Felt a bit guilty. We missed them all.

Immigration at MCO - now I am usually so happy to be alive after a flight (scared of flying) that I don't care about the queue but this one even tested me. We were literally the first people off the plane as we had back row upstairs but we still waited well over an hour to get through. There simply weren't enough booths open and several planes arrived at once. I couldn't help thinking that it was somehow being done to make a point somehow, probably being paranoid, but the people who got off the plane behind us must have waited for hours. One man was pleading with an immigration officer to let his wife go through as she just couldn't stand any longer. There were so many elderly people in the queue, it was pretty awful.

Driving - I love driving in Florida but I have developed a bit of a phobia about driving on the freeway. This really does limit me now as my husband doesn't drive and I can't face driving to the beach which is a shame as we loved it last year. Just too many trucks. Also, why do drivers speed up over there when they see you indicating o change lane. One guy nearly drove me off the road and I could turn off where I wanted and had to do a massive loop of the Disney network to get back again.

Raglan Road - Awful meal, terrible in fact. Fish and chips for three of us, think I had fifteen small chips and a piece of Birds Eye frozen fish. Over $70. Only Disney restaurant we went to and then cancelled the others as we realise now that offsite so much better.

That's it for the lows, hardly worth mentioning.

Highs

Virgin Flights - Last two years have flown indirect and loved American Airlines last year but decided on Direct this year as didn't see any indirect deals. Really impressed with Virgin. We had back row and front row of economy upstairs on way out. Drinks constantly refilled, good food. Flight landed early. PE on way back, again all good.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek -Really can't say enough good things about this place. Part of me is glad is hasn't caught on over here, kinda nice being in a minority. So many people asked where we were from when they heard our accents, literally random people while floating in the lazy river or in the lifts. Always said something nice about England. Rooms are so good, no noise, but my favourite thing is just being able to walk around the resort, relax at one if the many pools, take part in the activities, especially all the different quizzes. The location is great. Just don't understand why everyone doesn't stay here!!

Aquatica - Our favourite water park, just love being there. Went four times, not busy nearer the end of holiday. Always have our last full day here and the three of us just go round and round the lazy river to finish off our holiday. My one regret is that I dint get one of those Go Pro camera. Everyone seemed to have one in the lazy river, definitely getting one next year.

Discovery Cove - Third year we have been and only park we get to at opening and stay till closing. Just a love relaxing day, well worth the money.

Restaurants - we love eating out on holiday but definitely prefer the offsite restaurants to Disney ones. Had some fantastic meals and special mention to Longhornes, Cheesecake Factory, Carrabba's, Toojays and Bosphorus which was the new one we tried and was fantastic. Had a Travelzoo voucher so great value. Next door to Toojays and we were kicking ourselves that we didn't go before.

Fun Spot - Had a $75 gift card from ATD. Never been before but my son and husband absolutely loved the go carts. Never seen my son concentrate on something so much. We went twice but will go more next year. Always thought it would be an awful place but if you have teenagers then I would give it a go.

Universal - stayed one night at PBH which was great and a total of four days at the two parks. Didn't go to Disney this year and didn't miss it atall. Loved everything about Universal, growing on me more and more. Can't wait to go back next year and see King Kong.

And Finally, being able to spend time just as a family with no interruptions. Our son is 15 and I know this won't last forever but as long as he wants to come on holiday with us, I am going to make the most of it.

thanks for this thoughtful highs and lows review!!! so interesting...
about the friends and family who couldn't go because of cost....
it is soooooooooooo expensive now!!! the flights...the hotels..the food...
that's why we've dropped back from every year...just too costly....
DH and i pay for all of us (dh and me, DD and her husband, DS and his wife and now two kids)....
really a major hit on our wallet....the flights alone are enough to made me swoon!!! :)
but still we have such a nice time it's worth it....so it's not as often, but still good!!

i'm with you on that fear of flying thing!!!!!!!

i can't believe immigration! what a nightmare!
we entered the US via Seattle this summer (on our way to alaska)....really fast....
i'm trying to remember the set up but i can't....
i do know they had those little machine kiosks....
but i don't know if they had that on both sides (alien/american)...
i went through the american side with my mom....
but my daughter and son in law went through the alien side and got through just as quickly....
anyway, it was breezy fast...no wait at all....
of course, seattle is a much smaller airport in terms of international flights...

do they have those kiosk machines in orlando?

i'm with you on the driving as well....i drove a lot in the US this summer....
i'm originally an american, so i don't have the left/right issue and i also feel that the driving has deteriorated....
most of my driving was in the detroit area where the driving used to be superb...
not any more....
lots of tailgating and rude, dangerous driving...
very surprising to me...
when i mentioned it to friends in detroit, they claimed that the problem is there are now a lot of immigrants on the road and they don't have the same driving culture as americans...
could be...i don't know...but i can say, the driving is worse now..

as for Wyndham Bonnet Creek, it sounds wonderful....
we are debating between a 4 br there and windsor hills for the big family trip ...
i'll eventually make the decision :)

We've heard that the best water park in orlando is aquatica....
unfortunately, we are sea world boycotters, so we have to pass on aquatica....
too bad as we'd really like to try it out...
we're very much water people, but i guess we'll have to stick with the two disney parks for now...
good tip about the go pro....i think we'll get one for the big family trip...it will be fun to film the kidlets!! :)

i agree about discovery cove...
we went there the very first year it opened (don't remember when it was, but a long time ago)....
that was when we went to sea world for our first (and only) time...
the sea world entrance was free with the DC ticket....
i thought discovery cove was lovely....
but again for reasons cited above, we won't be going back...

you didn't go to disney?????????????? that's the only reason we go to orlando!!!! :)

our kids still like to travel with us!!! and we still love it...
not just to disney, but we also go on shorter vacations here locally....
and we all eat together every weekend...
they live a block away on either side of us, so it's wonderful (i get to see the grandkids every day!! woo hoo)

thanks again for taking the time to share your highs and lows!!!

Last edited:
:offtopic: Really Sorry to jump in.

I agree with you Beth, we have boycotted Seaworld too and will not go to aquatica but it looks fab!

I've had a GoPro for a few years and have got some great footage from all of the parks.
Take a look at a camera called SJ4000 (it is almost identical to the GoPro The footage that I have seen from this is very impressive and is a lot cheaper than GoPro. Amazon have some great deals for camera packages with spare batteries and mounts etc. also check out people's footage on You Tube.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek -Really can't say enough good things about this place. Part of me is glad is hasn't caught on over here, kinda nice being in a minority. So many people asked where we were from when they heard our accents, literally random people while floating in the lazy river or in the lifts. Always said something nice about England. Rooms are so good, no noise, but my favourite thing is just being able to walk around the resort, relax at one if the many pools, take part in the activities, especially all the different quizzes. The location is great. Just don't understand why everyone doesn't stay here!!

We stayed at Wyndham grand one year and loved the resort!!!

by the way, what building were you in at WBC?
is there a particular building we should request?

Sorry, only just saw your question.
We always request building 4. We love the pool there and also short walk from main pool and reception. Great for parking to as you can park outside main building which always has spaces, even in July and August.
The rooms have been refurbished but I think all buildings have now. Iwe also like the main building, not many rooms in that one but have stayed in it three times when we first visited.
Can't wait to go back.

I've had a GoPro for a few years and have got some great footage from all of the parks.
Take a look at a camera called SJ4000 (it is almost identical to the GoPro The footage that I have seen from this is very impressive and is a lot cheaper than GoPro. Amazon have some great deals for camera packages with spare batteries and mounts etc. also check out people's footage on You Tube.
Thank you. Definitely think we will get our son one for Christmas as he is going skiing in Feb with the school. So maybe one of the cheaper ones as I won't be there to supervise!!

Sorry, only just saw your question.
We always request building 4. We love the pool there and also short walk from main pool and reception. Great for parking to as you can park outside main building which always has spaces, even in July and August.
The rooms have been refurbished but I think all buildings have now. Iwe also like the main building, not many rooms in that one but have stayed in it three times when we first visited.
Can't wait to go back.

thanks! it's still under consideration, but i'm 80% sure we'll go with the private pool villa i've reserved at windsor hills.
It's a lot cheaper. At WBC, we would have to take the 4 bedroom suite, which is pretty pricy. I can get the villa for about 40% cheaper and that's with a private pool, a game room, two living rooms and 6 bedrooms (and of course a kitchen, nook and dining room). So it might not have all the different pools, but 40% is a lot of money when we're talking 3 weeks.
There's no question there's a lot more risk in doing this. We've never done a private rental before. I hope it works out!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter