Back Home - Highs and Lows! UPDATED - Meteor Meet & Greet

Pooh's-Honey-Pot

DVC owner since 2020 - VGF, BLT and SSR
Hi all!

We got home yesterday from a flipping brilliant trip - its unbelievable how quickly 16 nights can go!

I'm planning on a food report and trip report, but just a few comments in the meantime . . .

New York for the first 4 nights - brilliant. Loved it, perfect hot, dry weather. Really pleased with our hotel - great location and had free wi-fi and breakfast! We just had the best time and I was so pleased to go back here after 10 years away. Our transfer back to the airport didn't arrive though which was stressful at 5am - will be contacting Virgin about that!

Orlando - SSR. Adored this resort! Has all the beauty of my beloved POFQ, and I really loved having a balcony and kitchenette. Had heard terrible things about the bus service here, but the longest wait we had was 10 minutes so nothing to complain about from us. Massive resort though - we are fast walkers and we were about a 7-8 min walk from foodcourt, and we weren't even in furthest location. Loved being able to walk to DTD in the evenings as well. Would happily stay here again.

October - am VERY sold on October travelling! Did not see one spot of rain the entire time and was gloriously hot and sunny.

Halloween - was nice seeing everything decorated. MNSSHP had high and lowpoints for us, but glad we tried it. Also did the Haunted Carriage ride - I worked myself up into a right state beforehand and spent the entire ride terrified!!

The parks were as good as ever, though I was a little disappointed by just how much work is going on in MK. I know it has to be done at some point but it felt like half the park had boards up around it.

Had some great meals - Le Cellier, Boma and Yachtsman Steakhouse were high points. Captain Cook's at the Poly was a low point! And I'm not complaining as DDP was free but was a bit disappointed by some of the things that no longer count as snack credits - no more goofy's snacks, no more icecream cookie sandwich at Main St bakery - whats a girl to eat?!!! Enjoyed our first Food and Wine festival!

Had a brilliant shopping day - god bless the UGG outlet store! Though we did crack up in there - the shop was rammed and every single person was British!!

Lows:-
WWOHP - We spent extra on a room at Royal Pacific at Universal so we could have the extra hour to ride Forbidden Journey a couple of times. We were first in line - FIRST - when the park opened at 8. At 9.30 we were STILL front of the line and they still hadn't let us on to the ride because of technical problems so we had lost the extra hour paying for the room had given us. Eventually they came out of the castle and said it would be at least another hour so we went off to do something different; An hour later we bumped into someone who had been in the line next to us who said it had started working 10 minutes after we left the line - talk about frustrating! I know they can't help the ride not working, but communication was appalling, and I think they should have been able to give some sort of fastpass voucher out to hotel guests who had spent extra money to take advantage of the early opening. Anyway! Hogwarts and Hogsmeade were brilliant, and the butterbeer was divine, though I thought the FJ ride was a teensy bit overrated to be honest.

Virgin Premium Economy - we treated ourselves on the homeward flight to PE seats for the first time, and were seated in the bubble. That has to be the biggest waste of money ever. I have NEVER had such an uncomfortable seat in my life. I am off work today because my back is so bad I can barely move. It seemed to have a ridge in it in the lower back area, and Tony's was the same. I don't know if it was just our seats, but I can honestly say I have never been that uncomfortable in economy. We are bitterly disappointed about this. Must say though the staff on both flights were the best I have had with Virgin for many a year.

Wel I'm sure there is loads more but thats all I can think of for now . . . need to crawl back into my sick bed!! Am happy to answer any questions on NY or Disney!!:goodvibes

Welcome back!!!

Glad to hear you had a great time. It's a shock to the system to come back in the autumn though :eek:

Yes, lots of work in MK. While you didn't pay attention to it, it was glaringly obvious. Way too many tarps over the buildings. Not a year for MK park photos if you know what I mean. Tomorrowland was the only part that seemed to have escaped all the facades, etc.

We also had a flight in PE last year where on the outbound DD complained about the uncomfortable seat, but I wonder if it was that particular plane because it was great coming back. DD had her first economy experience this year and all of a sudden the PE seats weren't so bad ... :rotfl:

Are you going to do another one of those brilliant dining reviews? Your last one was fantastic - you had me hooked from the word go! Did you enjoy HoB?

It was the best meal of our trip. We will definitely be back. DD rated it above the character meals.

looking forward to hearing more once you have rested a bit.

Actually I was going to email you and ask if you used your HoB voucher - we handed ours over and they said it had already been claimed in August so I couldn't use it - was really disappointing!!

I wonder if it was just that plane - it was a really old one. The PE seats on our way out on the flight to NY looked really comfy!

How was your trip? I did keep an eye out for you!

Your trip sounds amazing!!! Where did you stay at in New York? We're pending 3 days in New York before flying on to Orlando next summer so we're looking for ideas on places to stay. I'd love to hear about what you got upto in New York aswell!!! :)

Actually I was going to email you and ask if you used your HoB voucher - we handed ours over and they said it had already been claimed in August so I couldn't use it - was really disappointing!!

I wonder if it was just that plane - it was a really old one. The PE seats on our way out on the flight to NY looked really comfy!

How was your trip? I did keep an eye out for you!

I used my voucher with no problems. I wonder what happened with yours? If I had known I could have sent you mine. We had a small challenge reaching our £35 minimum spend. The food was so good and we were really full so I just ordered a coffee and asked him not to bother to bring it to me to reach the minimum spend.

The review is coming up on my Trip Report. You are just in time - it's the next chapter so should be posted tonight or tomorrow.

Did you fly from Manchster? I think we flew on Jersey Girl last year on the flight with the yucky seats from Manchester.

I had my LGMH with 2Tiggies on me all the time but only met 2 DISers while there.

Your trip sounds amazing!!! Where did you stay at in New York? We're pending 3 days in New York before flying on to Orlando next summer so we're looking for ideas on places to stay. I'd love to hear about what you got upto in New York aswell!!! :)

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan - its nothing glamorous but it did the job! Our room had a view of the empire state building - we were a two minute walk from it, a 1 minute walk from Macys, and 10 mins from Times Square. Room wasn't a bad size, was very clean, and as I said free wi-fi and internet. The Virgin welcome meeting was held there which was handy for grabbing the rep in the morning with any quick questions. I wouldn't hesitate ti stay there again!

We did loads there- somehow squeezed it all into three days! Boat trip to Statue of Liberty, Wall St, Ground Zero, loads of attractions and sights on 5th Avenue, Empire State and Top of the Rock (which had much better view than Empire State we thought), half a day in Central Park, saw Wicked on Broadway which was an unbelievably good show! Most importantly we went and saw the building that they used for the exterior shots in Friends!! I highly recommend going there for a few days!

Welcome home !!!!!
I know what you mean when you say the time whizzes by
Sorry to hear about the poor experience in PE, we have it booked for our return on Aug 2011 :scared1:
Really looking forward to your trippies, I have often thought about doing NY but always think that a sharp left turn and we could be heading to the mouse :lmao:
Hope your back is better soon :thumbsup2

Welcome home!

Sounds like you had a fab trip, looking forward to see your pics and trip report and like someone else mentioned, I was totally hooked on your foodie report last time so can't wait for that too :)

Bummer about the dodgy PE seats though :(

welcome back, sounds like you had a great time.

oooh reviews.........cant wait :cool1:

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan - its nothing glamorous but it did the job! Our room had a view of the empire state building - we were a two minute walk from it, a 1 minute walk from Macys, and 10 mins from Times Square. Room wasn't a bad size, was very clean, and as I said free wi-fi and internet. The Virgin welcome meeting was held there which was handy for grabbing the rep in the morning with any quick questions. I wouldn't hesitate ti stay there again!

We did loads there- somehow squeezed it all into three days! Boat trip to Statue of Liberty, Wall St, Ground Zero, loads of attractions and sights on 5th Avenue, Empire State and Top of the Rock (which had much better view than Empire State we thought), half a day in Central Park, saw Wicked on Broadway which was an unbelievably good show! Most importantly we went and saw the building that they used for the exterior shots in Friends!! I highly recommend going there for a few days!

Wow it sounds like you had an amazing time and did so much!!! I think we're looking to stay in the Manhattan area as it's close to the few places we think we want to go to so far. I will definately look into the comfort inn, it sounds exactly what we're looking for, afterall we're there such a short time we'll be out and about sightseeing most of the time. I like your way of thinking.....i think the building they use in Friends would definately be a must for me!!! I'll have to look into that one!! :goodvibes

We stayed at the Hotel Metro opposite on 35th Street in '06 and the location is excellent as you said. This hotel has a roof terrace (see pics on link) and has free breakfast which is such a bonus in NYC!
Pics 2-9 are of the hotel.

http://gallery.me.com/markjjohnson/10069

Forgot to say how pleased we are with Meteor Meet and greet - worked seemlessly. They met us at Heathrow and collected the car dead on time, then drove it across London to meet us at Gatwick - arrived 5 minutes after we rang them. And booked it all for half-price after the offer Wayne posted a few months ago! Wouldn't hesitate to use them again!

Forgot to say how pleased we are with Meteor Meet and greet - worked seemlessly. They met us at Heathrow and collected the car dead on time, then drove it across London to meet us at Gatwick - arrived 5 minutes after we rang them. And booked it all for half-price after the offer Wayne posted a few months ago! Wouldn't hesitate to use them again!

We were really pleased with Meteor Meet and Greet too, they were really efficent (were there when we turned up) and made it so easy to get away quickly at the end of the holiday when we were jet lagged (we waited about 2 mins). I was a little nervous *** I had read those type of companies use your car whilst you are away but we noted the milage and it was very minimal (only enough fo parking and back). We used the offer code too and it came out at about £47. I think I will be using them again in future. :)

Please you had a lovely time, and that's good to hear about SSR. We love POR and POFQ and thought we could never stray but we want to try somewhere different next time. Shame it won't be for a couple of years :sad2:

Hadn't realised you were from Norwich, been to the city shopping today :thumbsup2, think I could drive the road from Lowestoft to Norwich with my eyes closed by now, no problem:rotfl2:

Taking our first trip to NYC next July so would love to hear more and see some pictures, had booked the Affinia Manhattan but seen mixed reviews on tripadvisor so I've taken a fellow dissers comments onboard (think it was Kiera's Nanny but not sure .......... sorry) and now booked the Radio City Apartments near the Rockerfeller Centre - there are 5 of us so a 2 bed apartment should be ideal and should save us paying for 2 rooms.

Interesting to hear that you thought Top of the Rock was better than the Empire State Building ..... because of the proximity to the RCA's I thought this would be ideal for our first evening, maybe at sunset ........ Do you still think the ESB is a must do???

Would love to hear more on your trip.

Sharon

I've started my food report (link below!) if anyone is a foodie like me! Trip report to follow soon! Just in case you're interested . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter