Back From USA and New Years in DL

marvel

DIS Veteran
Hi all, Happy New Year, back a week ago from our 5 weeks USA trip. Which included
spending New Years in Disneyland. Which was one of the highlights, and also most difficult and stressful
events I have ever encountered. Glad we did it, was amazing, but don't think I could ever go through
that again.

Nice to see people undeterred from travelling even with our sad sad dollar.

Hello, happy new year to you too. Care to expand on your NY Eve experiences when you get time. Not that I think I would ever do it but still interested. What else did you get up to in your 5 weeks (you may have said elsewhere but I forget).

hi wendy. i havent been on the boards that much of late. We did SF, NY, Vegas, Palm Springs, West Hollywood, and Anaheim for the last 2 weeks.
Decided to spend NYE in Disney and be in front of the Castle for the fireworks. After doing Rope Drop at 7am, the day went well, getting rides in until lunch time when it got super busy. I think they recorded over 75,000 and closed the gates after lunch. But staking out a position for the parade and then the fireworks from around 4pm, meant a lot of waiting, some 8 hrs, and seeing the worst of people, who did not want to stake out a position, but still want a prime position right in front, next to you, or on top if necessary.

We have never experienced crowds of this nature, body to body. And I have been to 2 Olympics, AFL Grand Finals, etc etc. The worst part was, that after the last parade everyone rushes to the spots in front of the castle, which we were one of, and we got nice positions. So everyone is sitting nicely, when just before the first fireworks at 9pm, the CM's announce that everyone must stand up and push forward. Mind you we had been here for some 3 hrs, so the crush begins with no regard, people are cramming up forward, it was crazy.

Luckily we had by this stage befriended two groups on either side of us, one of 5 Japanese girls, and local Californian family of 10 on the other side, who had done this all before. They insisted we all hold our ground, keep seated, as we all had blankets, towels, bags etc as we had been seated for several hours in this position.

Because we were such a large group, the crowd released they were unable to crush or stomp on us, so whilst we were surrounded by people standing we did have our area clear for us to sit. Which was a godsend. It was still 3 hrs till New Years, and all the people standing, would be standing for another 3 hrs. We had a great time, they had music playing and Mickey coming out now and then. But i spent a good part of the time protecting
our turf, you constantly had people trying to push behind us which was a roped of VIP seating area, and CM's constantly telling people to move out.

We even had people send their children into the area, if there was a slight gap, with the idea that the whole family would then squeeze in. You actually had to tell the children to go back to their parents as there was no room where they were.

But just the nerve, with 30 mins to go, people were just aggressively trying move in, they would stand an inch away from you if you let them. At times it was very stressful, as generally you are in Disney spirit and not wanting any altercations. And then you have people in front, who decide to put up the helium balloons right in front of you blocking the castle, or hold their hands up with their IPADS and Iphones to take photos, oblivious about effecting anyone behind them.

You really see the best and the absolute worse of people.

I have to say though, that after than night, any other day at Disney was a breeze. Every crowd looked so small. Every bathroom was a breeze. Compared to NYE, where the bathroom queues were often 20 deep, as were lines for food.

We all needed a T-Shirt saying 'I survived NY at DL' !! Might sound more negative than positive, but it was a absolute highlight of the trip. Even though the NYE fireworks were cancelled due to wind. Having done this, we all feel that any other day is a walk in the park.

Thanks marvel. I appreciate what you mean having experienced similar at other events but your experience would have been 10x worse than anything I have been to (and those incidences have been bad enough). I don't think we have the patience to camp out that long; just not that devoted.But glad you enjoyed your night regardless - and yes puts the other days in perspective! I agree with the T! Sounds like a nice trip experiencing both east and west coasts.

:wave:

Hey Marvel. Welcome back. Sounds like a stressful New Year's Eve. Hope the rest of the vacay was good.
Let me know if you're free for a coffee catch up!

Welcome back! :-) Please post the link if you are going to do a full trip reports, I'd love to hear more about Palm Springs etc.

hi all. I have never done a trip report, always think it would be a boring read. I think I painted too negative a picture of NYE, when it was one of the highlights of the trip and often referred to when we talk about the best parts of the trip. Personally I like to give everyone the full picture, I often read reviews that are glowing about everything, and everything was wonderful. I am a bit cynical by nature !!

Palm Springs was lovely, too cold to really enjoy it to the max, but we will definitely go back during warmer months. A really nice place to relax and have a break, scenery is great, nice food options and the hotel was awesome. If I get some time I will put my journal notes together and do a trip report of sorts.

Wow that does sound stressful but at same time I can understand how you are glad you experienced it. But like our NYC New Years experience.

Love to hear more about the trip if you get around to it.

When did they announce that there would be no fireworks? What was the reaction of the crowd like? I could imagine some pretty disappointed people. I am glad you still enjoyed the experience and it was a highlight for you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter