• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from the March 25 - April 1st Magic - Walt Disney Suite - Long

camom3

Mouseketeer
Here are my thoughts and memories of our vacation. I travelled from Los Angeles with my DH, DD12, DD10 & DD6. After reading these boards for a month I had very, very high expectations and I would say that my expectations were more than met. In fact, this was our best vacation ever!

We arrived at Orlando on Thursday the 23rd. We arrived early to get used to the time change. We were met at the airport by Dennis of Lorden Transportation. His car was beautiful and he was so nice. It was a great introduction to Florida.

We arrived at Ron Jon's for a 2 night stay. Ron Jon's is very clean and nice. However, the beds and pillows are the hardest that I have ever slept on and would never stay there again for that reason only. That is the only reason that I wouldn't stay there again. We had to do the time-share tour on Friday. They are not high pressure, however, I was amazed at how many people are taking the tour and signing up right then and there.

On Saturday we arrived at the terminal at 11:00. I got the wristband for my DD6 right away before the line increased. Since were in a Concierge suite we were able to board right at 11:45. We headed straight for the Concierge meet in Sessions. They had juice, cookies and sandwiches. We met our concierge Dania from Italy. After we set up a few things, off to Parrot Cay. The food at lunch was very good.

I snuck up to the room to decorate the door. The door was open, but I did not go in because I wanted to be surprised with the rest of the family. After I decorated the door, I found my family and went back to our room. It was beyond amazing. We waited 2 years for that room, so I knew it would be nice.

On the master bed were the sand toys and tote bag that I had ordered from Shirley. She really does an amazing job. My DD12 & DD10 play the piano, but the piano is very out of tune.

After the fire drill we headed up to Deck 10 for the Dis meet. Quite a few of us had lime green braclets.

Our dining rotation was LAP (early seating). I wish I would have changed it so we wouldn't have formal night in Parrot Cay. The first night we met our servers, Wis and Ian. They were very nice and it startled me the first time Ian cut my daughter's food.

Before Key West, we had brunch in Palo. It was amazing. The food, the view and the service were amazing.

Key West - My daughter's did not enjoy the town and wanted to get back on board right away. My husband rented a scooter and enjoyed the day. That night was very rough. It didn't appear rough, but it is the under current that really rocks you.

Day at Sea - My two oldest made fast friends on the ship and hung out with them all day. I took my youngest to the afternoon showing of the Golden Mickey's. It was great. That night we took a picture with the Captain and headed to Parrot Cay for dinner. My husband was in a tux and we were all dressed up. It was a little disappointing in that there was a boy at the table next to us in shorts. I was surprised at how undressed people were at Parrot Cay. I left dinner early - uh oh I think I'm seasick.

My husband took the girls to the Golden Mickey"s and I missed my youngest say, "Welcome to the Golden Mickey's".

Grand Cayman - We had an Island tour and Stringray City Snorkel scheduled through DCL. Since we had to be downstairs by 7:30 a.m., I decided to sleep in with my youngest. Most of the DCL Stringray tours were cancelled that day due to rough seas. My family's tour just made the Stringray portion before they began cancelling them. They loved the turtle farm and Stringray City. I met them onshore and we had lunch at Hard Rock.

That night I ordered chocolate souffles from Palo to our room and they were so good. After that ordering souffles became a nightly ritual.

Costa Maya - My husband and daughter went on the DCL Ruins tour. Again, they loved it. The only complaint was that the tour guide talked too much. I took my girls to town and really liked Costa Maya.

That night my middle daughter lost a tooth. Sharon our stateroom hostess, put the tooth in the middle of the bed and put pixie dust around the tooth and left her a tinkerbell pin. It was very special.

Day at Sea - My middle daughter woke up seasick. My other girls went and got braids. Boy does it hurt! I had arranged with the Concierge to have Palo high tea in our room with my girls since I didn't have anyone else to go with. I had to cancel since DD10 didn't feel well. We also had Palo reservations that night. My husband went and I orded Palo back in the room. It was great because I didn't look like a pig in public. I had bread, salad, lobster, chicken stuffed with shrimp scampi, a souflle and a sweet pizza. At least I was able to be a pig in private.

Castaway Cay - I couldn't believe that there were characters everywhere. It was amazing. We got off the ship late (big mistake). We had a banana boat ride at 11:00 and after that went to look for chairs. Oh my gosh, I read on the boards to get right off and I didn't listen. Never again. Next time I'm right off the boat if I expect to get any shade.

Believe it or not, my only complaint on the cruise was the pool chairs. I saw people putting towels, etc. on the chairs at 6:30 in the morning and go back to their rooms. Very rude.

Reading these boards I thought I'd have a good time, but I thought it can't be as magical as everyone says. Well I was wrong. It was amazing.

Thanks for letting me share.

So glad to hear you had a magical time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Did ya book another????

Hi,

I wasn't thinking when I tried to re-book and I said March-April 2008. The reservationist said she'd send my request to inventory control.

I meant to check availability for 2007. Hopefully, we'll go through our travel agent for 2007.

Thanks,

Jen

great trip report. It was great to meet you this trip and thanks for the tour of the Walt Suite... maybe will we sail again with each other

Susan

Thanks for the great trip report! I am so glad you had such a wonderful vacation. I love that you enjoyed the Palo food and ordered the souflles each night. We would do the same thing, and that is what makes booking the suites so special. One question, will you need to book the suites each time now that you have experienced it? I am afraid about that aspect. We had the royal suite on celebrity and now I find myself spoiled :thumbsup2.

We really did have a magical time. Like I said, I thought it can't be as great as everyone says - It really was.

A funny thing about the souffles - One night I ordered 4 (some for my girls and one for the room hostess) and then the next night I ordered just 1 and the order taker said "Just 1 tonight Mrs. E?"

I would say that I was spoiled by the suite. I saw room 8016 (cat 2) and that is incredible as well. I don't want to wait 2 years again for a suite. So we'll see how it goes.

Jen

We too had a magical time...

I completely agree about the pool chairs. If everyone just sat while they were at the pool there would be no problems.

Same with the show...people were always saving seats that never got used

and on Castaway, people rushed to get the hammocks, put their stuff on it and were gone all day!!!! (I know cause i layed on my beach for the whole day :thumbsup2 !)

I was really tempted to move their stuff and lay down!!!

all in all it was an amazing trip! thanks everyone

lflynn said:
I completely agree about the pool chairs. If everyone just sat while they were at the pool there would be no problems.

and on Castaway, people rushed to get the hammocks, put their stuff on it and were gone all day
I was on same cruise... I probably spent too much time trying to think of a constructive solution to write in the evaluation to address this problem... really could not come up with something that would work and be acceptable to DCL.

Since being home I did think that Brent (cruise director) could at the beginning of each of the Sat and Sunday night shows make a plea to not save chairs that you will not be using within an hour (???). Just a thought.

Were you pleased with the concierge team?
I never realized you could order high tea. Do they just bring a sampling of everything?

Did they have a concierge party one day other than the original meet up in Sessions? Also, did they give a lithograph at the end of the cruise?

The chair saving is way out of control--I've had to sit by the basketball court many times because anything near the pools is gone. RC does a better job with this. They have tiered seating near the pools and you only get 1 towel per guest so people don't save seats with cruise towels at all.

Thanks for the great report.

I shall have no problem with removing ANY towels, etc., from sunbeds after a reasonable period of time - if they are not being used. They should have a "name and shame" policy onboard! :rotfl2:

In the Med, we've seen the same thing at hotels (people place items on the chairs and then just disappear for hours). These items have then been removed and thrown into the pool by other frustrated guests! (Not us, I may add!). But, not a bad idea! :cool1: Of course, it doesnt have the same effect if the towels belong to Disney!

Sadly, these greedy guests seem to be on the increase. Shame.

[IMG
BethA said:
Were you pleased with the concierge team?
I never realized you could order high tea. Do they just bring a sampling of everything?

Did they have a concierge party one day other than the original meet up in Sessions? Also, did they give a lithograph at the end of the cruise?
BethA said:
Hi,

The Concierge Team was awesome. We had Dania, Crunch and Angela. I don't think anyone had thought to ask for high tea before because Dania said she'd have to check on it. We ended up not having it because my DD was sick that day. :crazy:

There was a Concierge "party" on Sunday. They had drinks, etc.. I had just been to Palo so I didn't have anything.

On the last night they did bring the lithograph. They do everything else I had read about, the arcade cards, coloring books, fruit, etc.

Also, soda and water are free. My stateroom hostess would just order a case of water for us when it was low.

By the way, we thought of a great gift/tip for our Concierge. We got her a certificate at the spa for a massage/facial (we checked with her supervisor first).

Jen

This is probably a dumb question, but how does one go about getting the Walt Disney Suite? Or even a Cat. 3 Suite? That's what we wanted but even looking a long time out, none were available- the best was cat. 4. Thanks!

We have doen it various ways. The first time we called DCL about 1 year out and booked. We have faxed a request, but the past two times have gone through our travel agent. These last 3--faxing and TA-were done at least 2 years prior tp the sailing date.

If they build a new ship they need more suites-or another category simiar to the owners or gran suites on RCL to offer more room.

Thanks for all the information.
That was a great idea for a gift!!

Hi, Thanks for the great trip report. I must say the March 25 cruisers get the award for most trip reports per cruise. :teeth:

camom3 said:
We had to do the time-share tour on Friday. They are not high pressure, however, I was amazed at how many people are taking the tour and signing up right then and there..

We stayed two nights at Ron Jon last in March 2005. We never were approached to attend the time-share. I don't remember much about the beds, but one thing that might stop me from spending more than one night there again without a car is the limited food choices in the dining room, no restaurants open for breakfast, and the mediocre food. Other than that, I loved the ocean access and the resort was bright and cheery. Sorry about the beds. I know what you mean. PO Riverside beds killed my back during our entire stay.

camom3 said:
That night I ordered chocolate souffles from Palo to our room and they were so good. After that ordering souffles became a nightly ritual...

Oh, that is awesome. Is that perk only for consierge guests or can anyone order souffles from room service? Would bribery work? ;)

How did your family like the banana boat ride?

Thanks again for sharing your magical cruise with us,
Tink

We stayed two nights at Ron Jon last in March 2005. We never were approached to attend the time-share. I don't remember much about the beds, but one thing that might stop me from spending more than one night there again without a car is the limited food choices in the dining room, no restaurants open for breakfast, and the mediocre food. Other than that, I loved the ocean access and the resort was bright and cheery. Sorry about the beds. I know what you mean. PO Riverside beds killed my back during our entire stay.

I know what you mean, there is nothing around. My husband took a cab to Cocoa Beach the first night and cost him $40.

How did your family like the banana boat ride?

They liked the banana boat ride. However, we have a boat and they go "extreme tubing", so this was a little slow for them.

Jen

Also, I have to agree that the 3/25 cruisers were very expressive.

Surroundedbyboys said:
This is probably a dumb question, but how does one go about getting the Walt Disney Suite? Or even a Cat. 3 Suite? That's what we wanted but even looking a long time out, none were available- the best was cat. 4. Thanks!

:wave: The day i called was lucky someone had to cancel and the Roy Disney Suite opened up and I grabbed it. Booked June 05 for May 06 cruise but was told they usually go years in advance. DCL does have waitlist for suites if you are flexible with dates you might get lucky too. :sunny:

camom3 said:
We really did have a magical time. Like I said, I thought it can't be as great as everyone says - It really was.

A funny thing about the souffles - One night I ordered 4 (some for my girls and one for the room hostess) and then the next night I ordered just 1 and the order taker said "Just 1 tonight Mrs. E?"

I would say that I was spoiled by the suite. I saw room 8016 (cat 2) and that is incredible as well. I don't want to wait 2 years again for a suite. So we'll see how it goes.

Jen

Thanks for a great report. Sounds like you had an incredible time. My family will be sailing in a cat 2 in Oct 2007. Can't wait! We're waitlisted for the cat 1, but with the new nonrefundable deposit policy on suites, I doubt it will happen. We're so looking forward to sailing in a suite. I laughed at your souffle story, I can so see that happening with us! :thumbsup2

You mentioned somewhere that the water & soda were always kept stocked. That's great to know. Again, thanks for the report!

Poohbush said:
. My family will be sailing in a cat 2 in Oct 2007. Can't wait! We're waitlisted for the cat 1, but with the new nonrefundable deposit policy on suites, I doubt it will happen. We're so looking forward to sailing in a suite.

We are booked for a CAT 3 suite this time in OCt 2007 too ( we are going EASTERN 7 day again over halloween) Oct 2005 we did cat 4 and wanted to go bigger this time..when are you guys going..i LOVE hearing about the Suites~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter