Back from the July 24th Magic!

muntzfab4

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
We are back home from the Magic and I want to thank everyone for their advice on these boards over the past 6 months. Your advice truly helped make our first ever cruise an awesome experience! My DH kept asking me how did you know this or that? My answer - the DIS boards!

A few thoughts:
1. Fly in the day before if you do not book DCL air. We flew out of NY on Fiday, July 23rd and were delayed 7 hours because of torrential rain. I was really getting worried but we finally arrived in MCO at 12 AM. So glad we booked the Hyatt!

2. Florida Tours was wonderful! Called about our late arrival and that we wanted to leave for the port a little later than originally scheduled. Andy worked it out for us - thanks Andy!

3. Our servers Antonia from Croatia and Mario from the Phillipines were fantastic! I have 4 extra pounds to prove it.

4. The over the door shoe holder, soft sided cooler, and night light for the cabin were very handy.

5. Spend some time alone doing whatever - a nap, read a book, or just stare out at the sea, on the Deck 4 lounge chairs!

5. My DD's 6 and 8 did not really enjoy the club and lab. DD 6 has some separation issues and the counsellors had too many kids to watch to give her a little extra attention. Also, a child in the club came down with chicken pox during the cruise (we received a letter in our cabin) so we were not comfortable sending them after that. It was no problem, though, after all this was their vacation too and we wanted them to be happy.

6. So many great moments - the shows, the beaches (thought St. Maarten was the nicest), the sail away, the characters, the atrium lobby, Castaway Cay, it was all so wonderful!

7. We were the "Family of the Week" so we received some nice things just thrown in without asking - tickets for Tea with Wendy, the bridge tour, fruit, cheese, water, soda, from room service and little goodies for the girls.

8. Get the photo package from Shutters! it is well worth it.

There is so much more so if you have any questions i will be happy to answer them!

I have a question

What is Family of the Week and how are you selected for that.

I honestly don't know how we were chosen! We received a letter on Sunday from Cath in guest services stating we were the Family of the Week. Every day she sent us something! We even got 4 free raft rentals on Castaway cay and a certificate at the end of the cruise. It really was so special!

Thanks for the tips!

What beaches did you do on the islands? Did you do an excursion, or take a cab, or...?

Thanks again!:wave:

We too are just back from the July 24 cruise. I could not agree more about flying in the night before. The Hyatt is so convenient and well set up to handle us DisneyJunkies. My son loved going up by the pool at night and taking pics of the jets too.

Congrats on being Family of the Week. Good for you!

Totally agree with getting the Shutters pkg and with the "getting some private time" - both bring added pleasure!

Our excursions were Shipwreck Cove in St. Maartin and Doubloon in St. Thomas. Loved them both. Have taken over 20 cruises (not DCL) and have never enjoyed any excursions as much as these - well timed, well organized and well run. CC we just played in the water and relaxed.

MamaQuack
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

I too am enduring the HARSH return to reality today. We drove instead of flying, and delayed our return as long as possible! As if returning isn't bad enough, us teachers had to go back to work today in Atlanta! YUK! Oh well, can't wait until the next one, whenever that may be. Gotta take the kids on that one or else they may never speak to us again, so it'll be awhile :(
Thanks to everyone for all the fun...it was truly what DH and I needed and I'm sure we'll bore all of our friends to tears with the details for months to come.

Krhardy-
I am a teacher too but don't return officially to work until September, although I will be in three days this week for curriculum work - yuk! At least I get paid extra for it!

PoohJen-
In St. Maarten we went to Dawn beach on our own which was very nice. The cab cost was $6.00 per person and the chair and umbrella rental was $5.00 each. My DD's loved it.
In St. Thomas we went to Sapphire Beach which was part of a resort. The cab was $8.00 each,but the driver let my 6year old go for free. The beach was a little shelly but they had a pool which my 8 year old liked. Chair rentals there were $5.00 each also. We decided to do things on our own rather than the excursions because with the kids you never know!

Nice to know that there are a few of us teachers around here. I teach in New Jersey. We go back after Labor Day. Though, I do have to go in this week and next to write curriculum.
Angie

We also did our own thing. I hear most of the excursions are well done, but we are not fond of the feeling of being "cattle"!

In St Maarten I arranged independently over the internet a dive for my hubby in the am, he took a taxi to the dive shop and back. The kids and I took a cab to the Butterfly Farm, then a cab to marigot for pastries, and a cab back. After meeting hubby for lunch, we all took a cab to Dawn Beach. Beautiful beach, real nice sand, nice surf for the kids to play in, not many people bugging you trying to sell stuff. Rented chaises and umbrellas and spent the rest of the afternoon. It was nice and quite there.

Took a cab in St Thomas to Coki beach. Kids enjoyed snorkeling, which is good there, but the beach wasnt near as nice, had no surf which they enjoy, was crowded, noisy, and had to say "no thank you" a lot more. We intended to check out Coral World next door, but because of the early wake up for immigration, we were beat and just went back to the ship.
Got a shower, ate lunch, and then did a little shopping just in the Havensight Mall area.

We just chilled on Castaway Cay. When the kids are older, we might try some more things, but they were very content just to play on the beach. No surf at Castaway either, but it was nice. A little more crowded than I expected. You really get a feel for how many people are actually on the boat! The kids didnt want to do Scuttles Cove because it was just so hot, they wanted to be in the water. (I did have a Cabana Massage, which I loved!!! Think I even fell asleep..........) :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter