Back from RPR / Hampton Inns / Nick

ToyStory

DIS Veteran
We just came back from our Universal /beach trip. We started our trip in the Palm Beach area. Our plan was to stay at my inlaws condo (snowbirds), but upon arrival there were little critters droppings everywhere and even my teenage son said there was no way he was staying there. So off to find a hotel. Stayed at a Hampton in a King Suite for $90.00 a night (not on the beach). A very comfortable king bed, queen pull out sofa bed, refrigerator, microwave, large bathroom and free breakfast and internet. The sleeping areas were semi private with each having their own flat screen TV. We enjoyed our days at the beach and the hotel.

I decided a week before our vacation to suprise my 8 year old with a stay at the Nick Hotel due to his great school year. Got a decent rate of $149.00 for a two room suite, with a kitchenette and decent bathroom. Only complaint here is the king bed was too soft for my liking, but the room was clean and roomy. The bunkbed was too small for my teeanger (13), but he slept on the pull out sofa. The pool area was crowded (as expected) but doable. We were able to get seats by the pool after we checked in a 1:00 pm. My son had a blast and that is what counts. Internet and parking was included in the $25.00 resort fee. Oh we had a view of the lagoon area.

We checked in at RPR around 9:30 am for our two night stay (AAA rate of $242). We got a late start since we over slept. No big deal. We had reservations for a standard room. Asked to see if any club level rooms were available or a theme park view room. There were none available. I checked a couple of days before we left and there was no availability at RPR for our dates so I wasn't surprised that there wasn't anything available. We checked in our luggage and went to US. As soon as we entered the gates of US my husband gets a message that our room was available. We liked the resort, however my husband preferred the Hard Rock over RPR, but he would stay there again. After having two other hotel rooms that were larger we felt a bit cramped in this room, but honestly any regular two bed hotel room we would have felt the same too. When we go to Disney, we usually have two rooms because my mom comes with us. My mom takes the kids or I stay with her. We usually get two connecting rooms at CSR.

The pool area was nice, however it was hard to find seats with shade. After being at the beach for a few days and one day at the Nick in the sun our skin needed a break from the sun. One day we had lunch from Bula and it was good. The portions were huge. Also they came around offering Italian ices to people. We only got to enjoy the pool for one evening and one afternoon. Our plan was to use the pool after we checked out and were finished with the parks, but as we were leaving the US around 2:45 we saw thunderstorms on the horizon. My husband didn't want to chance it and wanted to check in at the Hampton Inn - Universal South on Kirkman Road. Within half hour after checking in the storms came in. I was hoping that they would stop and we could go back to the parks, City Walk or the RPR pool but it wasn't going to happen.

FOTL wasn't really need in the mornings. Even with our late arrival on US our first day. FOTL wasn't needed for MIB or the Simpsons until later in the day. For Diaster or Twister it wasn't needed either mid day. It was needed to ride the Simpson early afternoon, Jimmy Neutron and Jaws. Jaws had a 45 minute wait and we just walked on. Our first day we did the meal plan at US. We got our monies worth. We didn't use it again during our trip since it didn't make sense with our touring plans. We stayed at the park until 6:30ish. Orignally I didn't think we would return to US and we would do two days at IOA, but my youngest preferred US over IOA.

For IOA in the mornings the lines were walk on. We did FJ once as a family. My husband liked it but didn't want to go on it again since he felt he would get sick. My oldest and I did Dragon Challenge twice, did the junior rollercoaster once (my youngest didn't want to go on it again, but he was fine with FJ). Did River Adventure twice, Doodley once, Popeye five times (yes we were soaked). Walked around to dry off and went on Spiderman twice and Hulk once. We were done around 11:00 to 11:30ish and returned to RPR, We returned to the park around 4:00ish and did Seuss area. Needed FOTL for the Cat in the Hat, but everything else in that area it wasn't needed. Used FOTL for Spiderman twice and was walking to River Adventure and the annoucement came on saying the ride may close down due to impending weather. Decided to eat and that is when the rides started closing down. I didn't realize the restaurant Thunder Falls Terrace closed at 5:00 pm. I was looking forward to eating there since it smelt good when we were going by it that morning. Oh well. Prior to doing Spiderman we did the Poseidon's Fury which ate up a bunch of time (FOTL wasn't needed).

Our last day we split up as a family. My oldest son and I went to IOA and my DH and youngest son went to US. We arrived at IOA at 7:00 am and rode FB three times on the single rider line, Dragon Challenge three times (one time in front), got a Butter Beer, looked around at the shop windows while drinking the Butter Beer and left the Harry Potter area around 8:00 when we saw the mass of people coming in. Went to Jurassic Park River Adventure (no wait). Rode it twice. Went to Doodley rode it once. Was going to ride Popeye (no wait) but decided against it since we didn't want to get soak (rode it 5 times in a row the day before). Rode Spiderman twice (used FOTL but the wait was only 10 minutes) and the Hulk once (FOTL was not needed here either. The wait began at the final ramp where FOTL and the regular line meets up. We decided to go to US to meet up with my DH and yougest son. Paid $16.00 each to get park to park access. We left at 10:00 am and grab a snack breakfast at US at Beverly Hills Boulangeire. Rode the Simpson's twice (FOTL not needed), MIB four or five times (FOTL not needed), Jaws (needed FOTL) and Mummy once (need FOTL and waited for 5 to 10 minutes to ride; DH and youngest son didn't want to go on, but my oldest son and I did). DH wanted lunch so we went back to Beverly Hills since the sandwiches looked yummy and they were. We were going to eat at Bula's again, but since the sandwich's were plainer here I knew the boys would eat them. I promised my youngest son that we can ride on Jimmy Neutron after lunch (FOTL needed). Afterwards he wanted to go on the Simpson's again. I was like you couldn't tell me this after we got off MIB or even Jaws. So we walked back to the Simpson's and this time FOTL was needed. As we were walking to the exit my oldest wanted to go on Rip Rockit. Since my DH left after lunch I let him go on by himself. By the time he was done we saw the impending storms. Prior to my oldest and myself arriving at US, my husband and youngest son rode on Jimmy Neutron, MIB and Simpsons. I believed they left the hotel after 9:00. They rode a bicycle from RPR to the entrance of US. I wished I saw that and I hope my DH gave the guy a good tip. DH isn't a small guy.

We got a great rate for the Hampton Inn on Travel Zoo for $50.00. The room was smaller then RPR and the bathroom was tiny. The bathroon door barely missed the toliet. I had to stand against the vanity on side of the toliet to shut the door. The room was clean and beds were comfortable. Free internet, parking and breakfast was great. Breakfast was a bit crowded. I swear people ate like it was going to be their only meal for the day. For one night prior to our departure it was fine. After we checked out we went to DTD prior to leaving for the airport. Our original plans were to arrive at RPR on Thursday and leave on Saturday, but Jet Blue canceled our 8:30 pm flight and put us on a flight for the afternoon. We therefore moved our trip by one day so we would have 3 days at the parks.

We lost some of Thursday evening at IOA due to storms that rolled in around 6:30 pm. The outside rides opened up around 8:00, but closed down again around 8:40. We were the last group to ride the Hulk that night. When we were on it the rain started and it stung. Also the whoa's were for the lightening bolts that occurred during the ride. We walked back to the RPR in the pouring rain and were totally soaked. The pools were closed due to the weather. The pool at RPR also closed down on Wednesday night due to thunder and lightening. Friday evening/night as mentioned above were affected by the weather. Saturday morning it was drizzling and a thunderstorm came in around 1:00ish while we were at DTD. Thankfully we were in the car pulling out of the parking lot when it started to pour.

We did a lot of jumping around, but it wasn't that bad. I only unpacked what we were going to use. Consolidated suitcases as we went and putting dirty clothes in the empty suitecases. For four people we had three suitcases with clothes and a small one for tolietries and other items that was didn't want to carry on to the plane. One of my son's had his back pack.

If have I known that we would have been staying at a hotel instead of the condo I wouldn't have booked the Nick Hotel. BTW the exterminator came during our stay. I noticed his card on the table when I went there our last night to do laundry. I still would have not stayed there since it need a very through cleaning.

The best deal of the week We got our rent a car from National's Emerald Aisle for $124 (mid size) and was able to get a 2011 Toyota Sienna on the Aisle.

did you take in Horror Makeup Show?

i hope you did...

sounds like you had a great vacation!

Did you get to keep FOTL after you checked out? That would be a great way to save over $100 for us. Is this why you changed to the Hampton Inn? Thanks. Looking to save as much as we can this trip.

Did you get to keep FOTL after you checked out? That would be a great way to save over $100 for us. Is this why you changed to the Hampton Inn? Thanks. Looking to save as much as we can this trip.

You get 2 days with a one night stay, from the time you checkin to the next day at midnight.:thumbsup2 you end up keeping your room keys which is your express pass.

Sounds like you had a good time. My daughter preferred US to IoA also but we went back to IOA because of Harry Potter.

Yes. We had use of RPR facitilies and FOTL access. The only thing you can't do is charge to your room once you check out. So make sure you bring cash or a credit card with you.

We knew we weren't going to go the the parks on Saturday due to our flight home so it didn't make sense to pay $269 + taxes and fees to sleept there. Our room total with Hampton Inn came to $56.00. Easily at $250.00 savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter