Back from Punta Cana!

bcwife76

DisneyMomma
Hi all! I know I was posting about our trip as it happened in the Air travel thread, but thought I would just do a quick separate post as some people might have questions (eventhough we didn't travel to Disney) and I know @hdrolfe was thinking of booking a tropical vacation this coming winter.

The DR does not currently require you to be vaccinated or have a negative covid test when you arrive but you do need to fill out an eticket within 72 hours of arriving and have a QR code to show. There were 4 in our party and only one unvaccinated (our 10yr old). We flew Vancouver-Toronto-Punta Cana and as many have testified recently, Toronto is a nightmare. Our flight to Punta Cana left 2 hours lately, mainly due to passengers NOT having the QR code. As many as 150 people had to step out of line to download the questionnaire, fill it out and show their QR code. Air Canada also requested to see our vaccination cards but this was NOT mandatory. When we landed in Punta Cana they did NOT look at our QR code nor did they request to see our vaccination cards. NO one was selected for a random covid test.

We stayed at Dreams Royal Beach in Bavaro, about 20-30 minutes from the airport. We used AMStar for round trip private transportation. The resort is lovely, the grounds are beautifully landscaped, there is a 'lazy river' running down the middle of the resort which empties into a (small) activities pool. There is also a separate (small) kids pool and then a third pool which is closer to the lobby and has a swim up bar. The swim up bars are currently CLOSED in the DR for social distancing. The drink service around the pool is top notch since you can't order at the swim up bar. Drinks were mostly 'weak' so ask for doubles if you want a buzz :rotfl2: drinks that stood out were the Pina Coladas and a chocolate martini:thumbsup2
We had a deluxe pool view room and our location was excellent. Food was definitely hit or miss. The Japanese restaurant was awesome, as was the seafood restaurant. We visited the italian restaurant twice, first time it was great, second time not so much. The steak restaurant was a complete let down, food was awful and wait was horrendous. They closed one restaurant every night and rotated. The Japanese restaurant also offered teppanyaki which was by reservation only. DH and I have done it several times so he made a reservation for himself and our 13yr old DD one night and I took our 10yr old DD to the non-teppanyaki side of the japanese restaurant that night.

We did two excursions, both booked through Amstar as we got a discount but Viator is also in the DR and I would not hesitate to book with them. We went to Saona Island on Wednesday which was heaven on earth. One direction we went over on a speed boat and on the way back was a catamaran. On Thursday afternoon we went to Monkeyland. Tons of tiny little spider monkeys landing on you :rotfl2:Not for the squeemish (like my 13yr old who freaked out a few times but my 10yr old LOVED it)

The rest of our days were spent laying by the pool but mostly IN the pool as it was hot and humid. The shows were amazing (though we didn't catch all of them) and one night my husband went up to compete in a dance competition and came in first, winning a bottle of rum! lol

Our PCR tests were done on site at the hotel. When we booked with hotel concierge our first full morning we were told the doctor would be coming to our room, it would be CASH and it was booked for 11am on Thursday (our first flight to Canada was for 2:50pm on Saturday). The next day we were notified it would be moved to the medical centre onsite and would be at 8:30am on Thursday. Ended up we didn't need cash so we took our more money than we needed as we kept the cash for more tips (now I have dominican pesos I need to exchange at my bank) and we paid by Mastercard. Test was super simple. Results were actually processed by 10pm that night though we didn't get the results back until the following afternoon (when WE had to follow up with the medical center despite them saying we would be emailed). The cost was $90US a person.

Coming home we were made aware our flight was delayed by just over an hour at breakfast. We have access to airport lounges with Priority Pass (through our Scotia Visa) so that was nice. Check in took forever, then there was security and then customs (which was odd, we are leaving, why do you care??). Took us an hour to get through all that but we still had 2+ hours to kill so the lounge was a blessing. Flight to TO was uneventful, ended up leaving sooner than the delay so we made up some time. Sat on the tarmac in Pearson for a good 20+ minutes. BOOTED it to customs and got to use a 'shorter' connections line so we were through Customs in about 15 minutes. So here is something interesting. My unvaccinated 10yr old did NOT have to do an arrival test at Pearson, nor was she given a test do to on day 8. We were not given any documentation for her to follow (we KNOW to keep her away from group settings for 2 weeks) and the only paper we got was for US as fully vaccinated CDN's to watch for symptoms. Ok then.....

Booted it to luggage where it was chaos. Didn't find it on the moving belt after a few minutes, then noticed on the other side workers taking luggage off. Turns out both our suitcases were pulled and put in the pile. Luggage acquired we booted it through connections and dropped it with Air Canada with one hour and minutes to spare! PHEW!!! Yes our flight to Vancouver was delayed and didn't take off til 10:30pm (was supposed to be 9:40pm).

Landed at YVR at 12;06am PST, zonked. Luggage took too long, parking shuttle took too long.....hangry (Air Canada pizza should really not be a thing). It was 1:32am when we finally pulled out of the airport parking lot.

Anyway this was a bit longer than I intended, sorry! Bottom line is I'm SO GLAD we went!!!!!!!!!!! We had a wonderful family vacation and after only traveling in BC for the past 18 months it was odd and surreal to actually be out of the country.

If you have any questions, fire away!! :)

Thank you for your report! I was curious to see how things worked out. Glad to hear your fanily had a great time and made your connection!!!

Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip! I won’t use Canadian airlines if it means being shuttled to Toronto to do customs. Too many bad things have happened to me with AC & Toronto! And that picking up bag to go thru customs and re-checking it ugh. I thought you didn’t have to do that any more?
Glad testing worked out!

Did the hurricane hit the area you were at?

Thanks for the detailed information. I am hoping to be able to fly direct from Ottawa, I don't think I would like that changing in Toronto, actually I'd probably go through Montreal if we can't do direct. Glad you had a good time! And sorry the flights seemed to be a bit of a mess.

Sounds lovely! I’m in BC as well and flying out of YVR to go to Disneyland in September. I’m confused about testing when we get back into Canada. I know I have to get tested in the US to get onto the plane but what is the procedure when I arrive? I find the government and Yvr website really confusing. TIA!

Wow! Sounds like an awesome trip! I won’t use Canadian airlines if it means being shuttled to Toronto to do customs. Too many bad things have happened to me with AC & Toronto! And that picking up bag to go thru customs and re-checking it ugh. I thought you didn’t have to do that any more?
Glad testing worked out!

Did the hurricane hit the area you were at?
Hurricane Grace was a tropical depression when it hit us overnight Sunday night and into Monday morning. She brought some wind and rain Sunday night (but really we hardly heard it) and just rain on Monday morning. There were games and bars to keep us occupied that morning 🤣🤣 The rain stopped by noon but unfortunately they kept the pools closed for the remainder of the day out of precaution :( So it felt like a bit of a wasted day to us. DH and I went to the pool area and has drinks and read but the girls were bored and ended up back in the room. The teen club was boring for my 13yr old DD (it's just video games mom....) And DD10 refused to go to the 3-12 club because it was mostly younger kids.

Sounds lovely! I’m in BC as well and flying out of YVR to go to Disneyland in September. I’m confused about testing when we get back into Canada. I know I have to get tested in the US to get onto the plane but what is the procedure when I arrive? I find the government and Yvr website really confusing. TIA!
Eventhough we are from BC, our first point of entry into Canada was at Toronto so I can only attest to what happened when we arrived there. As for the testing, you need a molecular test (either PCR or NAAT) done no more than 72 hours in advance of your departure time on your first (or only) flight back to Canada. Our flight to Toronto departed at 2:50pm on Saturday so we could not take the test earlier than 2:50pm on Wednesday.

I'm thinking of going to Punta Cana in September. Just a question. What happens if you get tested at the resort and it comes back positive?

I'm thinking of going to Punta Cana in September. Just a question. What happens if you get tested at the resort and it comes back positive?
I can't answer as to what other hotel chains are offering, but for Dreams (which is part of AMResorts), they will put you up for free for up for 14 nights with meals brought to your room and drinks (no alcohol) and a doctor checks in on you every day. You are allowed one travelling companion to stay with you as well.

Thanks for all the info!!!! I'm glad you had a much needed get away. I'm glad to hear about your experience there...and will definitely be keeping DR on my short list for ( I'm crossing every body part available) our birthday celebration getaway. I was wondering how your trip went.

Thank you sooo much for sharing!

SO jealous, after dealing with the worst couple of months, between a family tragedy and then evacuations due to fires, I really really want a trip, but there's still that "is it safe" feeling, especially with the ol' Delta.

Thank you sooo much for sharing!

SO jealous, after dealing with the worst couple of months, between a family tragedy and then evacuations due to fires, I really really want a trip, but there's still that "is it safe" feeling, especially with the ol' Delta.
I'm so sorry to hear it's been such a rough summer for your family :( :hug:

Thanks for the report.

We have two All Inclusives booked for 2022. One is a rebooked/cancelled 2020 trip for hubby and I. The other will be a family trip we were supposed to take 2022 anyhow.

Who knows what things will look like by my dates, but I'm constany worrying we will lose another trip. Insurance refund doesn't cover the heartbreak. Its nice hearing peoples experiences and knowing it is possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter