Back from OKW, BCV, SSR & HGVC

phyllisnnj

Mouseketeer
Back from OKW, BCV, SSR & HGVC

We had a wonderful time at Disney World. The August crowds weren’t too bad and Tour Guide Mike was great once again.

SSR [2 nights] – This is my third time staying at this resort. I’ve stayed in the Congress and Springs sections and I’ve been happy with both. This is still my favorite DVC resort.
PROS: Newest (however I’m worried about upkeep based on the older resorts I’ve visited); Zero Entry Main Pool
CONS: This place is going to be big they’ll need another main pool. Hopefully another zero entry with a separate 1 ft children’s pool

OKW [3 nights]– This was my first time and we were in a Grand Villa. Everyone loved the layout. The space worked perfectly for our grand gathering. The master bedroom was huge and I loved the extra shower downstairs. I was little surprise how small the upstairs bathrooms were. There is just enough space for the door to clear the toilet and tub.
PROS: Space and size (great for large groups).
CONS: Cleanliness - Looked clean when we entered. We normally do a basic cleaning when we arrive. Cleaned and removed dead bugs found in the cabinets. Kitchen floor was sticky. Cleaned and removed white caked on stain on the sofa. The living room table and coffee table turned our cleaning cloths black. Since we had a toddler, I focused on areas at her level that she would touch – TV cabinet was sticky, cabinet doors dirty, etc. Thick Black build-up (mold??) on all showerhead sprays (really yucky – like it hadn't been cleaned in months (maybe years)).

Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) on International Drive [3 nights] – This is my third time staying at this resort. Stayed in a three-bedroom villa for the first time. We normally do 3 night weekend stay here.
PROS: Newest (Cleaner than the Disney properties); onsite Pizza Hut express
CONS: The three bedroom was not as big as I was hoping for. (LOL, staying at the spacious OKW Grand Villa prior to moving here probably didn’t help)

BCV [3 nights] – This is my second time staying at this resort. I wasn’t impressed with BCV based on cleanliness and maintenance issues with my last visit but I loved the idea of walking to EPCOT. So I decided to try it again for my grand gathering, hoping that we just had a very worn room during our first visit. We had a two bedroom and a one bedroom. Well, we actually didn’t stay. When we finally got our rooms, my grand gathering party wasn’t very happy with the condition of the room. It just didn’t seem clean enough and of course it was a little worn. Actually it was better that my first visit. They had just stayed at SSR, OKW and HGVC. Instead of requesting another room, I decided that it would be best to head back to SSR. I went down to the front desk and stated that my party didn’t like BCV and prefer to go back to SSR. I was armed with my camera in hand and prepared to answer questions on why we wanted to move but they never asked me. I was later told at both locations that SSR folks generally ask to move back to their home resort. The move was easy since we never took our luggage out of the cars. I guess as long as we have water park passes I won’t be staying at BCV in the future.
PROS: location close to EPCOT & MGM, various onsite dining options including character dining
CONS: Housekeeping ignores issues that are clearly visible. I asked my sister who has traded her timeshares over the last 10 years if she has ever encountered room maintenance issues like this. She stated that she hadn’t. In fact she preferred HGVC out of all of the villas we stayed. She liked the SSR pool but preferred the cleanliness and stocked kitchen at HGVC. I was hoping to convince her to buy DVC with this trip.

I hope DVC is listening and spends more time and money on cleanliness and maintenance.
Here are some BCV pictures http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/phyllisnnj/album?.dir=ebf4re2&.src=ph
I wish I had taken the time to document all of the problems especially the showerheads at OKW.

LESSONS LEARN:
(1) No More than one move per trip. I wanted my family to experience the different DVC resorts but we wasted most of the day packing and unpacking.
(2) Grand Villa works best for large groups of people to relax, talk and eat meals together.

DVC, HGVC & FSRC member

I've updated my posting to include Hilton Grand Vacations Club for HGVC.
I also plan to write a letter too.

Thanks

Looks like water stains and maybe drink stains on the sitting areas with the exception of the darker stains. *ick* Besides the stains was the room itself clean?
I think Disney really should work on housekeeping at ALL their resorts.

I just stayed at the BCV last month. The cushions in my room were just as dirty as those in your pictures. And there was something sticky, like jelly or honey on the kitchen counters. It was as though they don't wipe down the counters between guests.

When I got home my friend, who owns at Boardwalk, asked if I recomend her switching to BCV for her next trip, and I had to say no. After everything I had read about how wonderful this resort is, I was very disapointed in the lack of cleanliness.

This should be less about Disney and more about the members using these rooms. This is your home keep it clean wet cloths in the bathroom, eat at the table, and clean up your messes. How can anyone expect DVC to keep up with these problems if the owners don't. Also SSR is a new resort so it better be in the best shape. BCV is i would gather DVC most occupied resort. This leads to more traffic and more wear. I'm not saying DVC doesn't need to work on upkeep of this resort but it is all owners job to keep it clean. I love BCV and if you don't want to stay there fine more rooms for me to choose from. :thumbsup2

I stayed in the BCV for the first time in July. I had a fantastic time. I was bringing a guest, who had never been to WDW or DVC, so I warned her that there had a lot of postings about BCV and I hoped for the best but just in case. But nonetheless I was excited. I remember finding stains and such. The reason I found them was because I was very curious about what people were talking about on the DISboards. It was a BCV frenzy the week before I left. Very curious so I looked around with intent just to tame my curiousity. Nothing more. Otherwise, I might not have seen them readily.

We smiled as I said, "these are the stains that people are talking about and are very upset about on vacation here at BCV". (We were on the lookout for the infamous "crooked" hall lamps...so many DISboard built-in searching games). They would not have bothered me at all. One would always prefer a completely "clean" room but nonetheless they didn't bother me in the least.

(Dirty diapers put in the garbage by the elevators!!!! See we all have our thing. I stopped by the front desk twice to let them know about this thoughtless "stinker" needing to be removed after a day of sitting.)

However, the OP is bothered by the room conditions and has every right to be bothered. And many DVCers are bothered by this at DVC resorts. So posting these thoughts and pictures are very relevant for many and their decisions on where to stay. If this is something that bothers you....then it bothers you...and for all the $$$ that they/we spend well hopefully it will improve. Whether I or others could care less about these stains is not the issue.

ryley26 said:
This should be less about Disney and more about the members using these rooms. This is your home keep it clean wet cloths in the bathroom, eat at the table, and clean up your messes. How can anyone expect DVC to keep up with these problems if the owners don't. Also SSR is a new resort so it better be in the best shape. BCV is i would gather DVC most occupied resort. This leads to more traffic and more wear. I'm not saying DVC doesn't need to work on upkeep of this resort but it is all owners job to keep it clean. I love BCV and if you don't want to stay there fine more rooms for me to choose from. :thumbsup2

Exactly. Yes, housekeeping should always look to improve but I think we all have a clue when an "accident" is going to stain.

lisaviolet said:
Exactly. Yes, housekeeping should always look to improve but people just think so differently. On checkout day at BCV as I was emptying the fridge...filling/starting the dishwasher....straightening up.....getting all the garbage together...phoning to remind the desk that the DVD was broken...things that a lot of DVCers already do.....my partner's friend was dumbfounded, "what are you doing? Cleaning before they clean?". She was watching me like I was alien material.

I replied that they have to clean but these little things make the process faster for the next DVCers to get into a room and start their vacation. She thought I was nuts. Does everyone have to think the same way? Nope. But if some of us do well DVC will better in the long run.

Lisa if more thought our way instead of always blaming DVC these problems would be fixed. My family cleans the room before we leave to make it nice for the next member. People need to understand these rooms are cleaned once a stay for most so if you don't clean a stain it will set before it cleaning time. Mousekeeping does not have time it deep clean every room because of room need. This resort is almost always filled so it leads to lots of wear DVC needs to replace and fix many things.They are not blameless here they need to address these problems and update the resort. If you were running the hotel would you replace a couch or rug everytime you have a stain. If it was me i would think that if the members don't care enough to keep it clean it must not be a problem.

Aside from BCV, glad you had a great trip. I would love to try out a grand villa sometime. Thanks for sharing!

I am a germ-a-phobic and carry Lysol and sanitizing wipes to wipe down even the cleanest-looking rooms, so a little "touch up" does not bother me at all. I also am very easy to get along with and almost never complain (especially not at Disney) - BUT, the condition of that room would have freaked me out. That's not just "worn" from popularity - that's filthy.

Honestly, I worry about the cleanliness issue at YC/BC as it relates to SAB. A few years ago, there was an E Coli outbreak at a water park near our house and a bunch of kids got very sick (one died). We also have a friend that got a very serious infection after swimming in a (different) non-DVC Disney pool. Does anyone know how strict the SAB people are about monitoring the pool chemicals and making sure all toddlers and babies are wearing swim diapers?

Glad the rest of your grand gathering was good. Were you in a GV at SSR?

ryley26 said:
This should be less about Disney and more about the members using these rooms. This is your home keep it clean wet cloths in the bathroom, eat at the table, and clean up your messes. How can anyone expect DVC to keep up with these problems if the owners don't. ....

Just a thought but..... do you think the guests staying as regular reservations/non-owners feel the same as owners about this?

I really have mixed feelings about staying at BCV ever now, even though I would like to try it for SAB...the photos grossed me out, that is something a simple upholstery steam cleaner could have mostly fixed. There seem to be housekeeping quality issues at BCV. I have to say on our last trip (first trip home as DVC members) to OKW in a 2BR, the place was immaculate. I did not see one issue, and I looked. I hope it is that way for all of my visits to OKW! ;)

My comments are not directed at the OP, but to the situation described.

No one wants a clean room more than me, but I really think we all need to be more Proactive while there and less Reactive after we get home.

One, as someone said, if you make a mess clean it up right then. Do not leave these messes for the housekeeping to clean up or in this case to miss.

Secondly, and this is a major pet peeve of mine, coming here to share or vent, does not solve the problem. Neither does checking out and moving.

Please, please take the time to call the Housekeeping Super and have them come to the room and see in person these conditions. Only then will things improve.

Let the on duty manager know. There is absolutely no reason for any room not to be clean and in good repair. The Disney resorts do not look like this and if this is what DVC thinks we will accept well, maybe they are right in thinking that.

We have to let them know this is not acceptable.

I also agree that as owners (or renters) we should respect our property and other's property enough to keep it clean. My parents would never allow us to sit down on hotel/condo furniture with a wet bathing suit, we didn't eat on the beds, etc.
I am not sure many people think about such anymore...
So, I agree with these thoughts but I have also seen Disney housekeeping go downhill in recent years and wish they'd get control of the situation and train housekeeping a bit better and check the rooms if that is what it takes.

While I can't argue with OP's pictures.....I agree with Sammie. I always call Mousekeeping as many times as it takes - politely of course and with humor. It always works. The last time we were at BCV they had clearly washed the rug before our arrival. When my kids walked thru towards the kitchen their feet got soaked and then one DD fell on the kitchen floor.

I had to call twice....but they finally arrived with towels first and then fans and a "suction" machine to get the excess water out. We left the room immediately and didn't return for until it was almost dry. At least I knew the rug was clean!

I think in the OP's room the chair cushions could have been replaced or removed, cleaned and returned. They could have easily spot cleaned the rug.

I think you'll find instances of this kind of wear and tear at any DVC resort if you're looking for them with a microscope. Newer is always better.

We love BCV and have only had clean rooms with very minor wear and tear, but the pictures by the OP were awful. I would never want to sit on a sofa or chair like that. We've only stayed in a studio, but why aren't those cushions by the dining table covered in a wipeable vinyl???? It's by a table, things are going to get spilled. I also agree with Sammie in that people need to be sure that management is aware of these problems while you're there. The impact is much greater than a complaint after you're gone.

Glad you had a nice trip otherwise. My DB recently stayed at SSR and was shocked at how close DTD was. He enjoyed the resort and looked like he could touch Fulton's from his balcony.

I wouldn't have stayed either. If the stains were not obvious I could understand but the pictures you show - yuck.

Don't they have someone inspect the rooms after they are cleaned? It seems this would take care of so many problems DVC seems to have. I assume they have a supervisor come through each room and then release it for occupancy when it passes inspection. If they already have this in place then they need new housekeeping inspectors - how could someone miss these stains? If they don't have an inspection of each room then they need to.

We have been surprised at some of the cleanliness at DVC resorts. I don't care if the occupants stayed a day or a week. There should be staff on hand to clean the rooms thoroughly after checkout. They now have several DVC resorts and ten years of experience to base their housekeeping and maintainence knowledge on.

I don't mind cleaning up after our family during our stay but I sure don't want to have to clean when I arrive or when I'm leaving.... I thought housekeeping was part of the dues :confused3

I did come here to share (not vent). I hope folks continue to post their DVC issues. How can you tell if a problem is an isolated incident or a bigger reoccurring issue?

I also agree that we need to be sure that management is aware of problems while we're there. Based on so many reports about maintenance issues at BVC and seeing it first hand myself during a previous stay, I honestly feel BVC hotel management is fully aware of their issues and either don’t care or obviously don’t know how to address the issue. It also appears that DVC must be aware that something is wrong at BCV if SSR members are requesting to move back to their home resort from the most desirable location. My plan is to bring this issue to a higher level of management.

I expected the front desk to ask me why I wanted to move but they never did (perhaps walking up to the front desk and placing my digital camera on the counter before making my request may have prevented that discussion). My immediate goal was to resolve this issue quickly and that's what I did. However I failed to think about the next person that would be assigned to this room. I apologize for that. Perhaps they could have sent someone up to clean the sofa and bench before it was reassigned to someone else.

Whenever I've encountered problems with a room, I've always found it best to make the front desk and/or management aware of the problems and request a new room if available instead of waiting for housekeeping to resolve the issue. I use to travel alot for business and discovered that one can wait hours (sometimes days) for housekeeping to resolve an issue.

Honestly, I worry about the cleanliness issue at YC/BC as it relates to SAB. A few years ago, there was an E Coli outbreak at a water park near our house and a bunch of kids got very sick (one died). We also have a friend that got a very serious infection after swimming in a (different) non-DVC Disney pool. Does anyone know how strict the SAB people are about monitoring the pool chemicals and making sure all toddlers and babies are wearing swim diapers?

We were there the summer of 2002 and there was a "poop incident" in the pool. I was horrified that they only closed off that section of the pool for a time period and not the whole pool. The section right next to the closed down section was open and people were swimming right there. It was gross. Little kids get water in their mouth all the time and accidently swallow. You could get very, very sick from e-coli. What was Disney thinking? We were just in Universal over Spring Break and again there was a "poop incident." They closed down the pool for 2 hours and cleared the entire pool. They went back and super shocked the pool a few times and then took water samples away from the pool. I would rather a resort went overboard and was extra cautious then treat it as flippant as the YC/BC did that one summer.

To the OP: Sorry you had cleanliness problems. Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. We have had cleanliness issues at BWV, BCV and OKW. VWL was ok with just some minor cleaning issues that I fixed without ever making a call to anyone. We are now selling our DVC and will stay in the regular hotel rooms or over at Universal. Portifino Bay was immaculate and blew away any of the deluxe accomodations at Disney. This is coming from a true Disney fan that loves Disney over Universal any day of the year. But enough is enough. I have just recently stayed in a deluxe at Disney and I felt the regular old hotel room was cleaner than the DVC resorts. I can't believe that a regular hotel room doesn't get as much wear and tear as a DVC resort. Yes I know it gets regular, daily cleaning, but the filth at the DVC resorts is more then vaccuming the rugs, washing down the sink. I am talking deep down filth that is overlooked. I want my $$ back and can not overlook this any longer. I guess some people will say then if it bothers you that much than you should sell or good for us, less competition to use our points then. Whatever your feeling, I truly have had enough with the DVC resorts. It is a shame because I have only owned since 2001. I can't believe if it is this not cared for now, what will it be years from now? I will not stick around to find out. Will we still go to WDW and stay in a deluxe because of our family size? Yes, but just not as often. We were going down 2 to 3 times a year. We will now go and spend our hard earned $$ elsewhere. Just my opinion and I know on this board it will not be a popular one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter