Back from Med-Greek Isles cruise on RCCL. Thoughts from a DCL vet...

Lisa Lisa

DIS Veteran
DH, DD (13), and I returned from Barcelona on Saturday after a 12-night Mediterranean-Greek Isles sailing on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas. We would have loved to sail the Med with DCL, but the price difference was just too big in this case: We were able to get a junior suite on Brilliance for about $4,000 less than the cost of an oceanview room on the August 1st sailing on the Magic. If we had decided to bite the bullet and go with DCL, we would have been very disappointed with the significant itinerary change, and I think we would have cancelled. This is most likely a one-time thing for us, and Greece was an absolute must. I thought I would share my thoughts about our experience for anyone who has contemplated sailing in Europe with a line other than DCL.

THE SHIP
The Brilliance was the second ship in the Radiance class and launched in 2002. She underwent a major refurbishment in 2013. She holds a max of 2,543 guests. The Radiance class ships are beloved among RCCL fans for all of their glass -- there are views of the ocean absolutely everywhere. We found the ship to be in great condition and, with just a couple of small exceptions, very clean. I would say that it is in at least as good a condition as the Magic. The ship seldom felt crowded except for when you would expect -- after the muster drill and occasionally at the Windjammer (RCCL's version of Cabanas).

OUR ROOM
We originally booked a Deluxe Balcony room (D1), but were able to snag a really cheap upgrade to a Junior Suite after PIF. I was super excited because the JSs are substantially bigger and have a larger balcony, a larger bathroom with tub/shower combo, and a walk-in closet. We LOVED our room. It was in a great location close to the Centrum, and we only had to go up one flight of stairs to get to the pool or to the Windjammer. We had a king-sized bed which was very comfortable. DD was on the sofa bed, which was larger than the one on DCL and which DD declared "pretty good." There was tons of storage -- we had empty cabinets. It was so nice to have all the extra space, and the walk-in closet doubled as a dressing room when needed. At no point did we feel cramped during the cruise. The only downside to the room is that it's located on deck 10 (along with all the other suites on this class of ship), which means you're either under the pool deck or the Windjammer. We were under the pool deck, and every morning at about 6:30 we heard deck chairs being put out and moved around. After the first night we started using a white noise app on my phone, and that helped. Sometimes I slept right through the noise and other times I woke up briefly and went right back to sleep. The benefits of the JS definitely outweighed this one flaw. On a positive note, we never heard our neighbors on either side, and there was no noise from the room itself. There were no popping or creaking noises like we've experienced on the Fantasy, although in fairness that was probably due in part to the fact that we were more forward and, except for the first night, the seas were extremely calm.

POOLS
As on DCL, the main pool area is on the small side, but I never saw the main pool anywhere near as crowded as the family pool on DCL. There were lots of deck chairs both on the pool deck and on the deck above, and we never really had a problem getting 2 lounge chairs together (we only needed 2 because DD decided that she was a "shade person" on this trip). There were chair hogs, just like on DCL, but that wasn't an issue for us since we didn't need to be on the pool deck or directly facing the sun at all times (those were the chairs in the most demand, of course). There was a kids' water play area with a slide and a very small pool. It was utilized, but I never saw it super crowded. There was also a Solarium, which has its own pool and hot tub and can be used by anyone 16+. It was a great alternative to the main pool area, especially after long port days when I wanted to swim but didn't want any more sun. We developed a routine by the second port day where I would go to the Solarium after reboarding the ship, DH would go to the main pool area, and DD would either find a chair in the shade or go to the room and read or listen to music.

FOOD/BEVERAGES
We ate breakfast at the Windjammer (WJ) most mornings. IMO both the quality and variety were a step below Cabanas, although I did think the coffee was a little better! One area where the WJ excelled was in the layout. The food area was more spread out, and I found it much easier to get to the food. The main items were repeated in 4 different places, so I almost never had to wait to get scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. They had two stations where you could get made-to-order eggs or omelets and I really liked their system. They gave you a number when you ordered, and you went back in about 5 minutes to pick up your eggs/omelet. We ate lunch in the WJ on several sea days. The variety was a bit better than at breakfast, but I found the fish offerings disappointing. The other options for breakfast and lunch were the MDR and the Park Cafe, which is located inside the Solarium. I had breakfast at Park Cafe once and lunch twice. They had breakfast sandwiches, fruit, and yogurt parfaits, among other things, at breakfast, and paninis, roast beef sandwiches, and a decent salad bar at lunch time. It was nice to have a quick, somewhat healthier alternative to the WJ.

We decided to try My Time Dining (MTD) so we could eat at a time that made sense for us. We made reservations ahead of time for 7 nights in the MDR, all at 7:45. The MDR takes up 2 decks on the Brilliance, and MTD is on the higher of the two. I also signed us up for a 5-night specialty dining package when a promotion was offered a few months before the cruise. Since we had 7 ports, I decided that we'd eat in the MDR on the port days and at specialty restaurants on the sea days. Our experience with MTD was mixed. It got off to a bit of a rough start, but starting on our third visit, we were placed at a table and with servers that we were happy with. We thought the food in the MDR was good to very good -- very comparable to the MDR on DCL. I found that I didn't really miss the different themed MDRs, although I think DD did. As for the specialty restaurants, we ate at Chops (steakhouse) twice, Giovanni's Table (Italian) twice, and Izumi (sushi/Japanese) once. We also visited Rita's Cantina one afternoon for some margaritas and nachos. We really enjoyed the specialty restaurants and I very much appreciated the fact that we could take DD. We felt that the food and service at both Chops and Giovanni's was on par with Palo. We didn't like Izumi quite as much, but we still enjoyed it and it was a nice break from the MDR. The only specialty restaurant we didn't visit was the Chef's Table, which we heard was amazing. One other item of note is that several specialty buffets were offered on the pool deck during the cruise: a pasta bar, BBQ, and paella that I'm aware of.

DCL wins hands down in the beverage category. As I'm pretty sure everyone here knows, soda is not included on RCCL. They offered several juices, regular water, at least one flavored water, and milk at the drink stations in the WJ and at the Park Cafe. At dinner, DD could choose from iced tea and lemonade for no charge. Anything else we were charged for ($2.95/night for her ginger ale). Not a huge deal, but we actually had to go through someone other than our assistant server, and the soda had to be paid for separately from any wine that DH and I ordered. Alcoholic drinks were a bit more expensive on RCCL, although we learned some tricks to save money. Probably the best deal onboard was the 2-for-1 margarita special offered in Rita's Cantina every evening from 5-8. They also had a drink of the day for $8.95, and you could order any drink of the day offered during the cruise for the same price. One nice thing about RCCL is that we had some loyalty perks pre-loaded onto our Seapass cards. For example, DH and I each had a "buy one glass of wine get one free" deal that we could use anywhere on the ship. There were also deals for shopping, photos, the spa, etc. The Brilliance has a coffee bar called Cafe Latte-tudes that was a little pricey, but good. They offered complimentary snacks as well, much like Cove Cafe.

ENTERTAINMENT
We didn't go to any of the shows during our sailing. Not one! There were a couple that sounded interesting, but we were generally too tired by 9PM to sit through a show. In fairness, DD has begun to lose interest in seeing the shows on DCL as well. One thing I loved is that there was live music all over the ship pretty much all the time. We especially loved hearing live music on the pool deck and in the Centrum. We went old school by playing ping pong and air hockey for a little while each night after dinner. The ship also has mini golf, basketball, a rock climbing wall, and an arcade. DD and DH climbed the rock wall once and really enjoyed it. There was a large screen at the pool, but it was really underutilized compared to the Funnel Vision on DCL. There was a Disney movie once on the first sea day and a Star Wars movie later in the cruise. Aside from that, the only thing I noticed on the screen was Euro soccer, which was actually kind of fun to watch. The movies in the cinema were all rated PG, PG-13, or R. Overall, the entertainment was geared more toward older kids and adults. In general, I would say that DCL offers a mostly G-rated experience in terms of entertainment, while RCCL offers a more PG to occasionally PG-13 experience.

ITINERARY
Love, love, loved our itinerary (round trip from Barcelona):
Cannes - took the train to Nice
La Spezia - used the train system to explore the Cinque Terre
Rome - private tour with RomeInLimo (excellent)
Sea Day
Sea Day
Athens
- private tour with PK Travel (excellent)
Ephesus - private tour with Ephesus Private Tours (very good)
Santorini - private tour with Santorini Day Tours (excellent)
Sea Day
Valletta, Malta
- hired a taxi for 3 hours and went to the Blue Grotto, then to Mdina, and finally to Valletta
Sea Day

MISCELLANEOUS
There were no do-it-yourself laundry rooms on the ship. We spent about $47 to have laundry done that probably amounted to one medium sized load.

Embarkation and disembarkation were both quick and painless. We had priority check-in since we were in a JS, and it was a breeze. We boarded at 1:10 and our room was ready.

We stayed at Hotel Jazz for one night before the cruise and one night after. Loved it and would definitely stay there again.

We did a tour with Barcelona Day Tours upon landing in Barcelona. It was a great way to see many of the prime sites efficiently and stay awake on arrival day!

DD did not utilize the teen club at all, which didn't surprise me since she didn't go to Edge the last time we sailed on DCL (last November). There seemed to be quite a few kids on the ship, and Adventure Ocean appeared to be well utilized.

I missed the Wave Phones from DCL.

THE BOTTOM LINE
We had a fantastic experience overall and would definitely sail RCCL again. I do think this class of ship is probably a better fit for families with older kids, but I would recommend it to anyone for such a port-intensive itinerary. This was the trip of a lifetime for us, and we have no regrets about our choice to sail with RCCL. I'd be happy to answer questions, but I may not get to them until this evening.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting this, we were actually considering RCCL for a Europe cruise in 2018 if the Carnival Vista II doesn't have an itinerary we're happy with. We just returned from an amazing Mediterranean cruise on the Vista and are so happy we finally decided to branch out from DCL as well.

Do you happen to remember if there was a good amount of trivia, towel folding and stuff like that on board? Will you be posting any pics or Compasses?

Thanks again and I'm so happy you had a great time!

Thank you so much for posting this, we were actually considering RCCL for a Europe cruise in 2018 if the Carnival Vista II doesn't have an itinerary we're happy with. We just returned from an amazing Mediterranean cruise on the Vista and are so happy we finally decided to branch out from DCL as well.

Do you happen to remember if there was a good amount of trivia, towel folding and stuff like that on board? Will you be posting any pics or Compasses?

Thanks again and I'm so happy you had a great time!

There were definitely a lot of trivia sessions offered. I remember seeing a couple of towel folding classes listed in the Compass, but they were for adults only. In general, kids' activities are not included in the Compass. RCCL has separate handouts for Adventure Ocean and the teen club. I have all of the Compasses and the brochure for the teen club for days 7-12 (I accidentally threw away the one for days 1-6). I'll try to scan and upload them over the next few days. I also have a ridiculous number of photos. I'll resize some of my favorites, as well as a few of the room, and post them when I can.

thank you for sharing your experience. That itinerary does sound awesome. Have you sailed other lines? If so, how does RC compare? Do they allow you to bring bottled water/ soda on board? We are booked with ncl and are disappoimted that they just changed their policy and are allowing no water/soda to be brought on board. Any sewage issues? We had a strong sewage smell in our bathroom on our last dcl cruise.

thank you for sharing your experience. That itinerary does sound awesome. Have you sailed other lines? If so, how does RC compare? Do they allow you to bring bottled water/ soda on board? We are booked with ncl and are disappoimted that they just changed their policy and are allowing no water/soda to be brought on board. Any sewage issues? We had a strong sewage smell in our bathroom on our last dcl cruise.

As an adult, I've only sailed on DCL and RCCL. DH and I sailed on Radiance of the Seas when she was brand new, before DD was born. I think that the newer RCCL ships offer an experience somewhat similar to DCL. Of course there will be differences, but each line offers things the other doesn't. We actually have a Caribbean cruise booked on Allure of the Seas for April 2017 and an Alaskan cruise booked on DCL for June 2017. We'll only keep one, and it'll be a tough decision (mainly because the Allure cruise would be much less expensive).

RCCL's policy is that you can't take water or soda onboard. I've read on CC that this policy is seldom enforced, though. We actually saw people bringing 6 and 12-packs of bottled water onboard when returning from ports during our sailing. They put them right up on the security conveyor belt and no one blinked an eye!

No sewage smells anywhere on the ship that I could detect, and we had no issues with our plumbing.

We have booked Vision of the Sea for a 7 night Med cruise this fall, and I am excited to try it out.

We are also sailing on the 12 night Med this summer on DCL, have the exact same room as we did on the 12 night Baltic last summer, and we are paying almost $3000 more. Even though we are very excited about sailing on the Magic I think the DCL prices are out of control and I refuse to pay them anymore.

How is this for how out of control DCL prices have become....... We booked our winter holiday in the Maldives, at the #1 AI in the world on TA, for less money per night than we are paying for our DCL Med cruise, so DH and I have decided we are done with DCL for a while.

Just wanted to say welcome back and I've been thinking about you guys and loved, loved, loved your pictures :)

Great recap and so glad it was so amazing for you guys :love:

Can't wait to hear more!

Heather

We have booked Vision of the Sea for a 7 night Med cruise this fall, and I am excited to try it out.

We are also sailing on the 12 night Med this summer on DCL, have the exact same room as we did on the 12 night Baltic last summer, and we are paying almost $3000 more. Even though we are very excited about sailing on the Magic I think the DCL prices are out of control and I refuse to pay them anymore.

How is this for how out of control DCL prices have become....... We booked our winter holiday in the Maldives, at the #1 AI in the world on TA, for less money per night than we are paying for our DCL Med cruise, so DH and I have decided we are done with DCL for a while.

Wow -- You have some amazing plans! The Maldives are definitely on our bucket list. Have fun on your Med cruises. I'd love to read a comparison when you return from your sailing on Vision!

Just wanted to say welcome back and I've been thinking about you guys and loved, loved, loved your pictures :)

Great recap and so glad it was so amazing for you guys :love:

Can't wait to hear more!

Heather

Hi Heather! We really did have an amazing trip. I'm back to work today but will try to get some photos up sometime this week. You're in countdown mode now. So excited for you!

Thanks for this. The prices between DCL and all other lines for the Med just seem so far skewed that one must look at non DCL lines as an option, I've heard great things about RCCL! Glad you had such an excellent trip!

Reading reports like this make me feel better about trading in DCL ourselves. I go from worried to excited depending on what day it is so having a positive review helps. Thanks for sharing.

Wow -- You have some amazing plans! The Maldives are definitely on our bucket list. Have fun on your Med cruises. I'd love to read a comparison when you return from your sailing on Vision!

We are lucky enough to be living in Europe and have no idea how long we will be here, so we are taking full advantage of traveling and seeing places we only dreamed of. :)

I am really looking forward to trying RCCL.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your review. Your itinerary was very similar to our 10 night on the Carnival Vista. I agree that PK travel and Ephesus Private tours were excellent. We take our first RCCL cruise in March for Spring Break on the Harmony. My girls are looking forward to trying something new.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your review. Your itinerary was very similar to our 10 night on the Carnival Vista. I agree that PK travel and Ephesus Private tours were excellent. We take our first RRCL cruise in March for Spring Break on the Harmony. My girls are looking forward to trying something new.

What did you think of the Vista? It looks like a cool ship! What kind of room did you have?

Here is my trip report from the Vista on 6/3, we had 2 connecting insides which are definitely smaller than DCL insides, but the ocean view and balconies seem to be comparable in size.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-new-carnival-vista.3521334/

I actually read your report last night and it was great. Thanks for posting it! I looked at their itinerary for my DD's spring break week next year, but unfortunately it's a 6-night Western that week -- too short for us at this point. There's an 8-night Southern the following week that I would have seriously considered booking if the timing had been right!

What did you think of the Vista? It looks like a cool ship! What kind of room did you have?

We loved the Vista. If you read @Club Disney Chandler's trip report, that's basically how we felt. Very impressed with the ship. My two youngest participated in the Tween and Teen clubs and had a blast. We had a lot of tweens and teens on our sailing. We are a family of five and we booked originally with a verandah and an nearby inside, with price drops and the luck of the adjacent verandah room opening up, we moved the girls to the verandah. Our room had a double bed (could be split in two) and a sleep sofa. The girls room was the same but it also had an upper bunk. Plenty of room.

The itinerary was fantastic. Since we only had one sea day, I looking to book the Vista again so we can really enjoy the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter