Back from Magic 1/7/06-1/14/06...Any ???'s

Sunmi Lee

JKLee
Just got back from our cruise on the Magic 7 day Eastern Carribean. I just wanted to thank everyone so much for posting such great information. I found it truly helpful. You've all helped it make it a "MAGICAL CRUISE". Now, if I can help with any questions, let me know.

Welcome home! Glad to hear that it was so Magical! :) Moving to the trip reports forum so it can be easily found.

We are leaving on Saturday for our first cruise. We are really excited, but are concerned about the weather. I am going with my dh and another couple. My friend finds cold very difficult to take and actually gets sick if the air conditioning is too cold. Are the restaurants and theaters cold? How was the weather, warm enough for shorts and swimming? Are the pools on the ship heated?
I know I have a million questions, I'll try to keep it down. I was also wondering about Castaway Cay. Did you snorkel there. I want to try it, but I will be doing it alone.
I have never been to an island either. Since this is our first time will just exploring on our own be ok or do you need to book an excursion?

I'm glad you had a good time!

Hooked on Disney,

I'm so jealous you are going this Saturday!!! You'll have a great time. Just remember, as soon as you get to the terminal, hand over your luggage (except your day bags) to the porters. Then get all your forms and id's out to show the two men standing at the gate. Then you'll proceed into the building and through the scanners. At the escalator, someone will give you a group number. We had number three. Go upstairs and someone will help you make sure you have all your documents filled out correctly. Once that is done you check in. Only one person needs to do this with all the id's and documents in hand. Then you'll be given your KTTW cards. After this is done, you have to register the kids and get a pager and their wrist bands. If you've already done this online, you'll get in a different line and get your wristbands and pager. After all this, just wait until your group number is read. While you wait, there will be several characters that go infront of the boat for photos and autographs. Be prepared to wait in line. As you get onto the boat itself, they will ask for your last name and announce it and there will be staff to cheer you on. It's actually fun. From there, head over to Diversions to get your Palo ressies...About the air conditioning, I actually thought it a bit warm in the rooms and everywhere else. Maybe it's just me. But I do tend to get warm easily. I'd bring a sweater or sweatshirt along for the theatre...When we left, Florida was in the 50's and 60's. Rather cold for them I believe. So we went on the boat and spent the first night in our long sleeves and pants. But in the morning, it had gotten warmer. Through Monday, the water was very choppy, and the weather was misty and windy. But there were some events that happened which made us behind schedule and the captain had to go faster than usual to catch up. St. Maarten was ok. It was in the 70's. Still very windy though. We took a cab to the butterfly farm and stayed two hours. That was plenty of time. Our taxi was supposed to come back and get us but I think we missed her. Anyhow, one of the ladies that work at the farm was nice enough to give us a ride to a more secluded beach where the locals grew up. The name escapes me but as you leave the farm it's up the road to the right. Beware of the huge pot holes in the road. I mean huge. The beach was not as crowded as others would be. You can rent chairs for $6 and umbrellas too. Do remember, this is the French side and you may see some skin. I was the only one that noticed though. My DH, DD, DS were too busy in the water to notice. I did see some parasailing and windsurfing though. When you're all through, the folks at Chez Pat's ( bar and cafe) will call a taxi for you...Ooh, forgot about the pools. The pools are actually pretty small but very nicely heated. I believe in the 80's...St. Thomas was better. It was warmer than St. Maarten. Our group of 15 took a open taxi bus to Coral World. The driver, I think his name was David Griffin, even gave us coupons for $4 off adult admission or $2 off children's. The admission at the gate is $18 and $9. It has an underwater observatory, iguanas walking about, sting ray pool, turtle pool, hands on area where you can feel what a starfish, urchins, coral and others feel like. They also have aquariums with very colorful fish. Your ticket price allows you to come and go between Coral World and Coki Beach which is right there, and use the toilets and showers. It's not the cleanest, but it could be worse. If you have young children, it'll work. But the people in the room next to us went and took the sky tram to Paradise Point and found a tour guide who gave them a nice sight of the island. Then they crossed over to St. John's and spent the rest of the day at Trunk Bay. She said it was gorgeous. If you do this, make sure you get back to the boat on time...Now, Castaway Cay...WOW!!!!! I wouldn't mind being there for two days. The weather was the best!!! Perfect!!!! We walked down to the gangway and out onto the island. You can rent floats, I preferred the loungers, easier to manuever. I didn't do any of the excursions but my DH did the snorkeling and rented the waverunner. He said the water was kind of cold for the snorkeling but it was cool. And the waverunner was awesome. He took our 7 yr old out with him and she had a blast too. I think it was $160 for 1 hour. I kind of wanted to do the Sting Ray Encounter but I'm not the best at snorkeling and I had a feeling the water would be on the cooler side. The water was coldest there but you do get used to it. Oh, if you go snorkeling, see if they'll let you use dog biscuits broken into tiny pieces to attract the fish. They really love them!! At Coki Beach, on the far end, we found a very shallow area where the fish will swim right up to you for food. You can get them 4 for $1 where they sell snorkeling equiptment at Coki Beach. Well worth it. Don't forget those goggles.

I know this is short notice, but if you have time, see if you can buy a copy of the Passporter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line, 3rd edition. It was so helpful. You can even find it at your local library. My SIL did that and ended up renewing 3 times!!! If you want to save some money you can do the excursions on your own and the field guide will definately help you. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Remember to smile and have a wonderful time. I had one woman be a bit off with me because we started putting our luggage in the same area as hers. Mind you this was on the day of departure as soon as we got off the taxi.

If you have any other questions, you know where to find me...

Sunny

I think the beach is Le Galion beach. We went there two years ago and plan to go again in a couple of weeks. My biggest concern (since it is a bit remote) is what to do if the Taxi doesn't come back. Knowing about Chez Pat's is a nice relief. Thanks for sharing.

We were on the same cruise. A couple who was at dinner with us did the Stingray Encounter and loved it. You don't have to snorkel and they said that the water was relatively shallow. Probably about waist high for me and I am 5' 31/2".
We found the water at Serenitt Bay shallow too. We were able to walk out quite a way and we saw fish, starfish and sand dollars with out masks as we walked. The water was beautiful and clear. :sunny:

I don't have access to a scanner and I figure that's the only way I could get that on here or to you. Sorry.

We have most of the navigators and the Oceaneer's Lab navigator for 3-4 year olds. We should have them scanned by the end of the week and will send them to the Forum moderator. I will PM them to you when they are done. We also have a jpeg of the new room service menu if you like it.

Our scanner is on the fritz, so I'll type this in. It had several difference from the menu reported on the boards and the Passporter guide. If it's been reported before, I apoligize to the moderator.

Salads and Appetizers

Southwestern Caesar Salad

Blackened Chicken Quesadila Salad (VERY SPICY)

Mexican Tortilla Soup with Fried Tortillas (very good)

Chicken Noodle Soup (really a chicken vegetable soup)

All Hands on Deck (same as reported before)

Fresh Fruit Bowl (includes two types of melon)

Sandwich Island (none come with potato chips unless you request them)

BLT

Ham/Turkey and Cheese Sandwich

Focaccia Sandwich (grilled portabello mushroom, DW loved it)

Tuna Salad

Chicken Fajita (a wrap, DW did not like it)

Steak Sandwich ( very good, a nice piece of beef tenderloin with grilled musrooms and onions comes with french fries)

All American Fare

Cheeseburger

Hot Dog

Macaroni and Cheese ( not Mickey Pasta, but they will send Mickey pasta with marinara or butter sauce if you ask)

Chef's Specialities

Mexican Fiesta Pizza
Vegetarian Delight Pizza
Pepperoni Pizza ( somewhere between the Deck 9 stuff and Palo's)

Meat or Vegetable Lasagna

DESERT

Cake at Sea
Big Island Cookie
Oatmeal Raisini Cookie

and not listed, but always ordered, Mickey Bars.

Wow, several differences, thanks for typing all that out! Looks good, hope they stay for my November cruise on the Magic.

So, the fresh fruit bowl is cut fruit? In the past it was several peices of whole fruit I thought?

Thanks again!

Hello... somewhere on this site I read that you are NOT allowed to take shells, etc. from CC.. is this true??? How about St Maarten and St Thomas/John???
I am wanting to get some starfish and seahorses... got enough sand dollars from Fla..
any help would be appreciated.. trying to pick excursions like stingray/ dolphins/ etc but have those thoughts in mind..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter