Back from first trip...

KateMW

DIS Veteran
and I have a few thoughts...

1. Boy, am I glad to be home. I am exhausted! We landed last Wednesday evening and left at 9am eastern today. I need to sleep for a couple of days to make up for it!

2. What's up with all the parades? There seems to be one every two hours!

3. BBB is SO OVERPRICED! We went with the big package, because that's what DD asked for, but what they don't mention {as they're letting your daughter pick out whatever she wants} is that it all costs different prices. So, $220 later my sweet daughter was Ariel for the evening. She liked it, but didn't love it. If we ever go back to WDW, we won't do it again.

4. I knew this before we left, but WOW the kid's food choices were HORRIBLE. She hated most of it and ate off our plates.

5. Was anybody there this past week that can compare the crowds? They seemed pretty decent most of the time, but a couple of days were just horrible for us. We couldn't get anything done without people being in our way! :scared1: Our AK day and our MK day on Monday were the pits.

6. Pin trading {mostly pin collecting} is so fun! My DD, DM, DAunt and I really got into it. My daughter got tons of compliments on her lanyard and it was fun to buy pins that have special meanings for our trip. She got called on in Turtle Talk, so we made sure to buy her a Crush pin. She LOVED BTMR, so she has a great pin that has a little car that moves with Mickey and friends riding it.

7. The dining plan was great for us. It was so nice to not have to deal with paying, etc. It is tons of food and we had tons of credits left over due to rain and my husband being in mtgs, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks to leftover snack credits, I am the proud owner of 23 Mickey head rice krispie treats which my DD plans to give to her class for Valentine's day.

8. California Grill is fantastic!! We had an ADR last Thursday just in time for the fireworks and it was amazing. So good that we went back last night and sat in the lounge to watch them again. The fireworks weren't as good due to the weather, but the food{and wine!} was great again. We also really enjoyed 1900 Park Fare breakfast, Liberty Tree breakfast and Kona Cafe bf. We went to Ohana and it was ok. Not great, but the shrimp and pork were great! We LOVED the tequila place in Mexico. Yummy!! Ate there over the weekend and again during the rain yesterday.

9. We did NOT enjoy the Norway princess dinner. It's such a cluster! Too busy, no where to wait when the weather is bad, food is not great. My fish was good, but the rest of the fam's meals were yucky. Even our hot Norwegian server and 4 princesses couldn't make the meal a win for us. DD enjoyed meeting Ariel in the Grotto more then the dinner. She also loved meeting Tink and some other fairies in Toontown.

10. We had a blast for the most part. Riding Big Thunder with my daughter for the first time was amazing. We promised to take her back at least one more time when she's tall enough to ride Space Mountain, etc. We missed it by an inch this time.

11. Primeval Whirl is great! I never hear anybody mention it, but I loved it! I laughed the whole time.

12. And the biggie...I didn't love the Poly. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. First off, our longhouse was a LONG way away. I'm pretty sure Rapa Nui means "In the Middle of Nowhere" in Hawaiian or maybe "View of the Parking Lot". The rooms were dark and mousekeeping was just not good. I did enjoy the Ceremonial House, but I think Bay Lake Towers would be a better match for us on our next trip.

Finally, those drinks in the pineapples at the Tambu Lounge are FANTASTIC! :banana::thumbsup2:cool1:

We were there 28th - 4th. Every day was slow except the 3rd, MK was pretty busy after lunch, other than that, we walked on most rides in all the parks or waited maybe 10 minutes during busy time...

I saw that with the parades. We saw spectro one night and we were at the end of the route and they had to have someone come pull most of the floats up the little incline cus they got stuck.

I hear ya with the kids menu, my DD4 didn't mind but I could see it being a big problem with 7-8 year olds, we did a few buffets so she could eat whatever she wanted.

No comment on the resort, it was our first trip and we stayed at French Quarters and loved it.

I probably won't be back for a few years. I was getting bored the last day!

i think next time maybe try a different hotel... I stayed at Caribbean beach one time and it was amazing!!!!!! i agree that the bbb IS soooooo overrated, and crazy expensive

We couldn't get anything done without people being in our way!

I'm sorry, but this comment just cracked me up. Couldn't get anything done without people being in your way? What, were all the other people on vacation hindering your enjoyment? The other people at Disney World are part of the excitement. They're there just like you, making their own family memories. I'll bet it never even occurred to them that they're in your way.

I'm sorry, but this comment just cracked me up. Couldn't get anything done without people being in your way? What, were all the other people on vacation hindering your enjoyment? The other people at Disney World are part of the excitement. They're there just like you, making their own family memories. I'll bet it never even occurred to them that they're in your way.

Well, they were. :) Most days the crowds were fine and we didn't think twice about it. But on our AK day, and maybe it's the AK layout, there were people everywhere. It was just too hard to enjoy anything. People walk right in front of you and then look at you like your nuts when you almost hit them with a stroller. My mother was using an ECV for the first time, and people would just sort of wander into her path without even thinking twice. Of course, when she slammed on the brakes, they would act all startled and confused, like she chose for them to stop right in front of her or it was some how her fault. I totally get the crowded thing, I love big cities, but I don't like the feeling like I'm trapped like cattle in a small area.

11. Primeval Whirl is great! I never hear anybody mention it, but I loved it! I laughed the whole time.

What is Primeval Whirl? Is that an attraction or a food item? lol Really, I've never heard this mentioned either.

Well, they were. :) Most days the crowds were fine and we didn't think twice about it. But on our AK day, and maybe it's the AK layout, there were people everywhere. It was just too hard to enjoy anything. People walk right in front of you and then look at you like your nuts when you almost hit them with a stroller. My mother was using an ECV for the first time, and people would just sort of wander into her path without even thinking twice. Of course, when she slammed on the brakes, they would act all startled and confused, like she chose for them to stop right in front of her or it was some how her fault. I totally get the crowded thing, I love big cities, but I don't like the feeling like I'm trapped like cattle in a small area.

Did you use anything like the crowd calendar or TGM?

VP

Good report. Sounds like a great first trip for the family. I wonder also if you were at AK on a bad day.

One of the things we like about Old Key West and Saratoga Springs is that you park right in front of your room. You do not get the awesome lobby or excellent restaurants, but you do get a 20 step walk to your room.

Sorry but this is Disney and it is like that most of the time.People do not always stay to the right, they do not always yield to strollers or look out for ecvs.It is up to you to watch out for yourself and the people around you.I was not pushing a stroller or riding an ecv my last trip and I was mindful of where I was going. we had oblivious people slam into us with those items as well.it works both ways.The paths at AK and some at MK are very very congested and it is hard to navigate.I am sure no one was trying to" get in your way" but that is what happens when you have alot of people in small spaces.:goodvibes

Primal whirl is a roller coaster type ride in Dinoland at Animal Kingdom.
No loops or inversions, but the cars swing around when you go around corners.
It is designed as a kids ride, so it's not really intense.

#1 Theme Park Rule: Walk defensively. Don't expect anyone to watch out for you, don't expect them to look where they are going and don't be surprised when they stop suddenly in front of you.

They're at Disney/Universal/Sea World and they have an agenda for their day that doesn't include your agenda for your day.

#1 Theme Park Rule: Walk defensively. Don't expect anyone to watch out for you, don't expect them to look where they are going and don't be surprised when they stop suddenly in front of you.

They're at Disney/Universal/Sea World and they have an agenda for their day that doesn't include your agenda for your day.

Exactly. It can get frustrating when people slam on the brakes in front of you in the middle of the walkway to stop and look at their map or whatever :confused:. They can't pull off to the side to get out of everybody's way (I always do)? Or kids will run out right in front of you to where you have to stop fast to avoid running them over.

You just have to take these annoyances as what happens when there are a bunch of people around and not let it ruin your vacation.

Primal whirl is a roller coaster type ride in Dinoland at Animal Kingdom.
No loops or inversions, but the cars swing around when you go around corners.
It is designed as a kids ride, so it's not really intense.

Actually, this is wildly incorrect. It has one of the highest height restrictions in all of WDW. I think 48" in the minimum.

However, if you've ever been on the popular amusement park ride "Mousetrap," you've been on this ride (only with a few added cutout signs to give it a "dino" theme.) Try doing a search and you'll find it.

I do agree that dealing with crowds can be frustrating. Many folks are just totally oblivious.

If OP went to MK ona Monday - then it does sound like she 'followed' the crowd calendar advice - at least on that day. On Monday, MK is generally the park they advise. ;)

Well, they were. :) Most days the crowds were fine and we didn't think twice about it. But on our AK day, and maybe it's the AK layout, there were people everywhere. It was just too hard to enjoy anything. I totally get the crowded thing, I love big cities, but I don't like the feeling like I'm trapped like cattle in a small area.

I feel that way at AK also. There seems to be very little just open walking space so that walking and looking around is difficult. You really have to watch the person in front of you to make sure you don't bump into him or her.

I love walking through Epcot, Future World. So open and pleasant.

Actually, this is wildly incorrect. It has one of the highest height restrictions in all of WDW. I think 48" in the minimum.

However, if you've ever been on the popular amusement park ride "Mousetrap," you've been on this ride (only with a few added cutout signs to give it a "dino" theme.) Try doing a search and you'll find it.

I do agree that dealing with crowds can be frustrating. Many folks are just totally oblivious.

If OP went to MK ona Monday - then it does sound like she 'followed' the crowd calendar advice - at least on that day. On Monday, MK is generally the park they advise. ;)
So, does it invert?
Does it do loops?
Is it in the kids section of Animal kingdom?
I think you use the term wildly a little to easily.
It may have a strict height inforcement, but it's still designed more for kids that adults.

I'm glad you had a great trip! We have stayed at the Poly several times and are going with BLT this next trip, it's our first stay since buying DVC so we are excited!
Crowds can be frustrating, the funny thing is that when you are there pushing a stroller (or with someone in an ECV) you get annoyed by people stopping right in front of you or cutting you off and when you are there without the stroller or ECV, you get annoyed by the slow moving traffic of the strollers and ECVs that seem to roll down the middle of the path. :lmao: At least that's our experience, it does take practice to be patient enough at Disney!
Did you use a touring plan like Tour Guide Mike or the Ultimate Guide. We have had pretty good luck avoiding crowds by following them.
Time to start planning that next trip!

and I have a few thoughts...

. I'm pretty sure Rapa Nui means "In the Middle of Nowhere" in Hawaiian or maybe "View of the Parking Lot". The rooms were dark and mousekeeping was just not good. I did enjoy the Ceremonial House, but I think Bay Lake Towers would be a better match for us on our next trip.

Finally, those drinks in the pineapples at the Tambu Lounge are FANTASTIC! :banana::thumbsup2:cool1:

Actually to us Rapa Nui means "right next to the TTC monorail!" We loved how fast we could get to MK or Epcot from that building and how close the walk back to the room from the TTC was when we came home at night worn out! We did face the pathways and not the parking lot though, and I agree it was a hike to the Ceremonial House.

I'm sorry. Because I normally go during Spring Break and deal with real crowds...reading someone complain about early Feb. crowds kinda makes me giggle. Went this past October during Food and Wine and realized heaven at Disney. I'm sure crowds this past week were comparable to mid-October. Be glad you went when you did.

I totally would have skipped MK on a Monday, but sometimes you just can't help how things work out. KWIM? I totally know why it was so crowded, but it doesn't make it less annoying. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter