Back from family trip, want to go solo now...

HeidiLowe

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I am a 33 year old mom of two boys, 4 & 5. I have a wonderful dh, unfortunatley, he does not share my love of WDW. We went as a family the last week of January (so it's all sooooo fresh in my mind) and I didn't get to do half of what *I* wanted to do, such as.......

***Go in ALL of the stores in the World Showcase and TAKE MY TIME looking through them. It's just not the same when dh says "go ahead, I'll stay outside with the boys" because I try to hurry and that's not fun.

***Have leisurely meals instead of rush rush rush......I know we had wonderful meals every day but I couldn't tell you half of what I ate, especially on buffets.

***Hit up parks with EMH at night. The boys were always too exhausted, and that's WITH taking naps, to be out much past 7pm. I think we did Epcot once at night and I loved it.

***Go to DTD, didn't even make it there!!!

***Tour all of the monorail resorts. Just have a snack and walk around and hop on to the next stop.

***Sit on a bench and people watch

So coming off of a stressful (but totally amazing and wonderful) trip, I would LOVE to go back solo, take my time, relax, and do what I want to do.

Is this odd? I'm sure my dh would have no problem with it, aside from the $$ issue, so if I plan ahead and save for it, it's doable. Oh, and just so you know, my favorite thing to do is go to a restaurant by myself and read a magazine or newspaper, so it wouldn't be weird for me to do this

Has anyone else done this? I'm assuming I'm in the right place, lol Thanks!

Heidi.

Just me again....I reread my post, and I hope it didn't come across as snotty or unappreciative. I loved my trip with my family so much so that I want to do it again ASAP, but my dh has already said "no." At least not for like 5 years and I can't wait that long. So I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean it like "I DIDN'T GET TO DO ANYTHING THAT I WANTED TO DO!!!!" because that's not true. I just think it would be nice to get to explore WDW by myself.

OK, I hope that sounded better, lol.

You did not sound snotty at all and no I don't think you are crazy either. Here's why:

I've been 20+ times to Disney...almost all were family trips when I was little through high school.

In 2003 I started dating my first boyfriend (I was 19 at the time). He had NEVER been to Disney World! That was like...holy cow...I have to share this awesome experience with him. So for his Christmas/Birthday present (his birthday is Jan 1st) I gave him a trip to Disney with me in Feb 2004. We stayed on property at POR...my first time ever on property with the exception of the Dolphin once when I was really little. Amazing trip and SO different from my trips with my family. I took the lead and we had the most relaxing and amazing Disney trip EVER! But this was SO new to me because all my family trips had been rush, rush, rush, fit in everything everyone wants to do, etc. Opened my eyes to a completely different side of Disney.

In 2008...my parents renewed their wedding vows at Disney and we stayed at CSR. Does that indicate how big a part of our lives Disney trips were? We also were on the Dining Plan this trip (another first for me). It was my boyfriend and I in one room, mom/dad/brother in a 1br suite, and grandma in a seperate room for a slightly shorter trip. The resort wasn't my favorite but the perks of staying onsite are so awesome that I didn't care much. Dining plan was awesome (that was back when you still got appetizers with TS meals on the regular dining plan). We spent a lot of time all together in the parks but also split up a lot so we could each do our own things from time to time. Again...this opened my eyes up to another way to enjoy Disney that I had not known before.

In 2010...mom and I took a mother/daughter only trip without "the boys." We stayed at POP for budget but splurged on Deluxe Dining Plan. Mom and I have many similar tastes, and both have mobility issues, so we were able to take the parks at a slower pace and only do the things we wanted. We took advantage of ADRs and ate at some SPECTACULAR places, saw all the night shows, and didn't spend even one moment arguing or "discussing" what we should do next or dragging each other back and forth across the parks (one of our biggest frustrations with "the boys"). It was so relaxing and a completely different way to tour the parks. We even got to eat in the castle! So this trip opened up my eyes to yet another way to enjoy Disney that I never knew before.

Amazing how as an adult you see things from a completely different perspective and sometimes acheive a clarity of what YOU really want. And it's okay to be selfish and want that ME time.

So now I am planning my first solo trip and saving my pennies for what I hope to be a September 2012 solo trip. My boyfriend jokingly says, "What, I don't get to go?" But he doesn't love Disney like I do and even though I want to take a trip with him again just the two of us in the future...not this time. I want to do a lot of the things you were talking about. I want to spend time relaxing at the resort (renting DVC points so that I can stay Deluxe and still afford it). I want to only do what I want to do without worrying about anyone else. And I want to eat at places I've never tried before and have some awesome meals. I want to be adventurous...without worrying about if the person I'm with will enjoy it.

Every Disney vacation is special. But my solo trip will just be another new way to experience the World! I hope you get to do it! It sounds like it is an experience you would really cherish!

I totaly get it!!
We go every year and many years twice a year for about the last 10 years since buying into the DVC with our now DD18, DD14 and DS 10.
Well two years ago after reading about people on here going solo I mentioned to my DH I would love to do that once. After chats about what I would do and how I love the F&W Fest. he surprised me with a 3 night trip that Oct.
I wandered each booth at the Festival.
Shopped in every shop in Epcot.
Went into the MK in the morning, got breakfast at the bakery and sat outside and watched all the people coming in and soaking in their first look of the park.
Took so many pictures because I was going at a slow pace and saw things I had missed in all those trips.
Relaxed in the pool one of the hot afternoons.
I had such a wonderful time and our winter has been so cold this year that he just surprised me again with another trip next week!!!!

I totaly get it!!
We go every year and many years twice a year for about the last 10 years since buying into the DVC with our now DD18, DD14 and DS 10.
Well two years ago after reading about people on here going solo I mentioned to my DH I would love to do that once. After chats about what I would do and how I love the F&W Fest. he surprised me with a 3 night trip that Oct.
I wandered each booth at the Festival.
Shopped in every shop in Epcot.
Went into the MK in the morning, got breakfast at the bakery and sat outside and watched all the people coming in and soaking in their first look of the park.
Took so many pictures because I was going at a slow pace and saw things I had missed in all those trips.
Relaxed in the pool one of the hot afternoons.
I had such a wonderful time and our winter has been so cold this year that he just surprised me again with another trip next week!!!!

Lucky...lol! Not that I could go now anyway with my current health issues...but I am SO jealous! LOL!

I live here now so no fair really. . .however, I must say that your hubby is awesome if he would allow you to take a solo trip. I want a man like that, or one who loves the mouse as much as me. Take the trip, enjoy the relaxation and just be yourself. You will have so much fun.

I can also understand your desire to do whatever you want. I did my first solo trip in '09 and it was great. I did everything I wanted. My DW hates WDW after a hot, humid, and crowded trip in 1995. I have taken our three kids in various combinations three times since and we had a great time. My two DDs now have infants of their own and want to wait until they are a little bit older.
I can hardly wait until my DGDs make their first trip. They have assured me I am invited! I have to tell you,though, the solo trip has been one of my favorites. In fact I am going the first week of May and have the plane tickets and vacation package in hand.
Go for it.

I totally understand where you're coming from - there are plenty of things I would do when alone that I can't do with my famly (like get on Soarin' over and over again). I've been taking people along on all my trips (I think as an excuse to keep going back) and finally mentioned to my DH (who is awesome!) that I would like to take a solo trip sometime this year. And he was amazingly understanding - we work together and have really stressful jobs so he is very good about giving me time to myself to de-stress. This year for Christmas he bought me an Annual Pass renewal, which was awesome of him (my words were "you've given me another year of dreams!")

I'm just trying to get some dates pinned down - I think I might just stay onsite this time! :cheer2:

This is something I dream about so much! I know I would have so much fun.

I don't think my husband or kids would be very understanding, though. I haven't even brought it up because I'm afraid he would think I was being selfish. I don't think it's selfish at all, but I don't think he would see it that way. :(

I'd love to do this myself. DH is not a Disney fan :confused3. DD is away at college.

Took DS and myself to WDW in 2009 and had a great time; although most of it waiting for him to ride Expedition Everest 4 times and other rides too wild for me :scared1:

In June it will be the 3 of us (DH, DS, me), but after reading this thread, I may have to start planning my solo trip soon after :cheer2:

If you can afford it DO IT!!!! I just had my first solo at the end of January, I'm also 33 and I have one 12yr son. DH and DS don't love WDW, they just tag along with me to make me happy so they honestly didn't care that I took a solo, really it's probably good because it can hold me off a little longer before booking another family trip ;).

It was one of the most wonderful, liberating experiences in my life. It was amazing to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted, and some of the things that I enjoyed were the ones you listed! I even sat in a rocking chair in Frontierland for a solid hour and just enjoyed people watching and the ambiance. This would have driven my family mad :scared1:.

If you are thinking this is something you want to try, go for, you'll be hooked! I've only been back a few weeks and I'm already saving for my next solo :banana:

Very interesting thread....I'm going solo for a short trip (well, not completely solo the whole time....meeting up with my sister on the 2nd day), but I've been a little nervous thinking that I will be there by myself....after reading this thread, I'm feeling a little better about it. My plans aren't firm yet, but I'm thinking about going to DTD on arrival day, just to shop a little and have dinner. Then the next day, going to EPCOT and doing just the things that I like to do....I don't think that will take more then a couple of hours, then I might hop over to MK and stay there until it's time to meet up with my sister. It could be cool just to do what "I" want and not have to worry about anyone else.

Going on a 4 day solo trip next week. I have gone by myself for a day or two over the years when traveling for business or visiting my son when he was in the college program, but I've never gone on a solo trip this long. My DH also is not a big Disney fan and my "kids" are 25 and 22 and not really availalbe to go. My 51st birthday is next week and the past year has been very hectic and stressful, so I just decided that I needed to go somewhere that I could totally let go and relax. I really enjoy spending time at WDW by myself - taking as much time as I want to walk the Pangani trail, not worrying about keeping everyone else happy, eating whenever I feel like it, etc. I spe

The DH is not overly enthusiastic about it and of course, my kids would like to come with me, but this is what I need to do for me. I am trying to keep the trip at a reasonable cost - staying at All Star Movies, used a free trip on Southwest. I did splurge on a rental car and adding park hopping to my pass as I like to be very independent when at WDW. Can't wait for next Wednesday!

My family had made it a point to visit WDW at least 3 times a year once we moved away from Orlando, and every year, I would traipse down there with my mom, my dad (who always gets an ECV... doesn't need it, just doesn't want to walk :lmao:), and the whole rest of the crew. I never got to do exactly what you described: just leisurely make my way around wherever I wanted to go. When I finally became old enough (and made enough money to afford it!), my first "adult" vacation was to WDW... alone. And it was fantastic. And not at all weird!!

Honestly, the best part of doing something like this for yourself is that you may be able to share the new experiences you've had with the rest of your family. Visit things that you never do, and then you might be able to convince them on a future trip to do those things that they would have never done! Being able to find these hidden treasures (and then sharing them eventually) has been the coolest thing of traveling solo to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter