Back from brilliant week. Thomson, Pop Century and Fastpass +

london75

DIS Veteran
Hello all, we've been back a couple of days now, feeling barely human still but back at work.

The trip was a first for us, a very last minute spur of the moment booking (booked on the Monday, flew on the Friday) as we just needed a break and the price was too good to ignore. There were lots of firsts for us and I thought I'd review a few of them to help others.

Thomson MAN-SFB
Brilliant flight for the money. We booked last minute and got the flights for £388 per person, this includes baggage and food so except for drinks, no real extras to pay for. I have to say, the Dreamliner aircraft is fantastic, I think it really shames Virgin's aircraft. It was more comfortable, more roomy (particularly ceiling height), better service, quicker, smoother and just an all round pleasant trip. We were very lucky to be given extra leg room seats at no extra cost, a perk of the last minute purchase I suppose but we could have been stuck anywhere and for a while it looked like we were going to be seated apart. The entertainment system was great, plenty of films to watch although the kids mostly played on tablets (which you can trickle charge from the USB slot on the screen!). Food was ok, fine for me as I'm a human dustbin, DW and DDs weren't so keen but we knew they wouldn't be so bought snacks before we flew. Premium Economy looked nice beyond the curtain but as this was a cheap trip, it was economy for us and I don’t regret it at all. I’d happily choose Thomson over Virgin now if it weren’t for the fact they generally seem to want crazy money as well, last minute aside, they can be very pricey, economy next Easter is over £1000 per person!

Sanford
What a great little airport, what everyone says about being out of the door in 30 minutes from touch down really is true, we got off pretty quickly, immigration was done in minutes and cases were out shortly after. We’d landed at the same time as a Gatwick Thomson and a United from Europe as well but this didn’t seem to impact anything. We walked out of the customs line and we were outside! I know I’d read about it being small but we did a double take, surprised that was it, all done. Alamo car pick up was a doddle, it’s a short walk for Alamo, other firms are slightly closer but no more than 5 minutes. There were 4 intermediate SUVs and they were going quickly so it’s good we were out quickly. Not that I wouldn’t have argued to get something bigger if they’d run out but it would have been hassle and delays I just didn’t want. I’d booked the car through Holiday Autos at £170 – cashback and including a full tank which was just the right amount of fuel for our trip. Alamo didn’t try the hard sell, just a couple of questions about how much luggage etc. Mental note, stop booking intermediate SUVs, they are pretty small really, two suitcases and two trunkis filled the boot. We chose the 417 toll road all the way, there was only one unmanned toll booth and the whole journey must be around the $10 mark. Yes you can save the money but late afternoon on the I4 just isn’t fun or a good use of time.

Disney’s Pop Century
What a great little (big) hotel. We’d decided on booking onsite as with only a week there and wanting to do lots of Disney and not much else the buses really sold us on a Disney hotel. The food court was great as well, we had breakfast there most days and decided to buy the refillable mugs which was a great decision. It was a big first bill of over $100 but we each had at least 4 drinks a day out of them, sometimes more if we were using the pools and we get souvenir cups to take home. We were allocated the 50s block on the top floor and although I know the 80s and 90s are further, I’d say the distance to the food court is just not an issue for anyone except those with mobility problems. I’d read some reviews about preferred vs standard rooms and I definitely wouldn’t go preferred now we’ve been standard once. We paid about £450 after cashback for the week which I know is £200 more than offsite but we were guaranteed service, fun for the kids and those buses which are ace. It’s only one bus stop at Pop Century by the main building but the walk from the room was nothing. Buses were fairly regular, nothing compared to OKW I don’t think but still never waited long and only had to stand a handful of times. As others have said before though, Pop Century bus stops seem to be the furthest from the park entrance at every park. That’s particularly rubbish at Magic kingdom as the bus station is massive now. Not enough to put us off but it was noticeable.

Going for a week
I thought this was worth a heading as sometimes people ask if it’s worth it. Absolutely yes. Now we’ve been a fair few times so we’re not under so much pressure to pack stuff in anymore but I’d definitely recommend a week long trip for anyone other than first timers. Whether it was the buses or the fact we just went with the flow, it really felt like much longer than a week. Two days in it felt like we’d been there for a fortnight already! We generally did two/three things a day, ie park in the morning, swim after lunch and park in the evening. I think being onsite really helped here, although I love a villa holiday and we’re staying in a villa when we go in summer, we packed so much more in staying in a Disney hotel.

Fastpass Plus
Brilliant is all I can say, it suits us down to the ground. I recognise it won’t be great for some people and in possibly first time visitors will need to research a lot more what they want to focus on. But as repeat visitors with no particular urge to go on any specific rides, it was great. We’d generally decide in the evening what we wanted to do the next day and what was the most important ride to get, then I’d go on the phone and book it. There was almost always a fastpass slot for every ride we wanted and we tended to book what we fancied then use the phone to tweak the reservations as the day went on. The one exception is Toy Story Mania which I had to book 3 days in advance as availability was much lower. An extreme example is our last day. We got up pretty late and had booked nothing, we decided we’d go to MK one last time even though we only had 3 hours before needing to go to the airport. On the walk up Main Street USA at 11:10am, I booked Winnie the Pooh for 11:15 and Haunted Mansion for 12:15! There were slight fastpass queues but still much better than standby, especially as it was getting busier as the week went on.

Three mobile roaming
Having my own number with my brilliant data allowances was great with one hiccup. For the first couple of days I couldn’t get on and no amount of online chat or account access could get the phone working. I finally rang three on DWs phone and it turned out international roaming was off! I’ve never had a contract before where it’s off by default and it seems a little absurd given it’s now free to roam in so many countries. After 4 hours it was on and latched onto AT&T in most cases and generally a good speed of 3G (HSPA+) when not on Wi-Fi. I definitely found having a mobile connection useful when either on the edge of Disney Wi-Fi range or when Disney were having problems.

That’s all I can think of for now, if anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks for posting. We are going for a week in October and although I am excited I am also a bit worried it won't be long enough (I work in a school so it was a week or nothing.) We're staying at All Star Movies and hope we have as good a time as you had.

We in the badgers household are first time visitors this October but we are going 14 nights/15 days.

Quick question RE: Fastpass+ is it 3 FP+ per day per group. We are going as a party of four so if I obtain a FP+ it covers us as a group for a specific attraction?

Only Trans-Atlantic holidays we have done before is Canada to visit family (twice) both again for 14 nights/15 days. Always thought flying TA you would want at least 2 weeks but interesting to hear you only did a week! :thumbsup2

We in the badgers household are first time visitors this October but we are going 14 nights/15 days.

Quick question RE: Fastpass+ is it 3 FP+ per day per group. We are going as a party of four so if I obtain a FP+ it covers us as a group for a specific attraction?

Only Trans-Atlantic holidays we have done before is Canada to visit family (twice) both again for 14 nights/15 days. Always thought flying TA you would want at least 2 weeks but interesting to hear you only did a week! :thumbsup2

FP+ is done per person so for all of you to ride you will need to all get a FP. It's quite easy when you booking it asks who you want to book FP for from your friends & family list.

You don't all have to do the same attractions if you don't want too :goodvibes

FP+ is done per person so for all of you to ride you will need to all get a FP. It's quite easy when you booking it asks who you want to book FP for from your friends & family list.

You don't all have to do the same attractions if you don't want too :goodvibes

Thanks Elise! it is only 3 per day though correct? and are they spread out over x amount of hours? i.e if i obtain a FP+for 10.00am for everest the next FP+ wouldn't be ready until say midday for our group for say Kali River rapids?

:thumbsup2

If your first FPP is for 12pm, your next one can start at 1pm, your next after that at 2pm etc.

This has been a great post for me to read. I'm taking DD for half term (9 nights) having only ever been for 15 plus days before and I have been worried it is too far for only 9/10days. You have reassured me it will be fun anyway. We didn't get your great flight prices though!!! Can't wait for our AKL mini break now :)

Glad you had a fab time.

We went for a week on a late deal in May 2012 - one of our best hols ever. As a repeat visitor you hit the ground running - would have no hesitation going again for a week.

Thanks for posting :goodvibes

Sounds like you had a great time, I totally agree about a 7 night trip, we try to go on a Thursday and stretch to 9 nights but no hesitation doing 7 nights if that's all we can fit in.

We have only flown in and out of Sanford once, 2003 IIRC and we hated it so I assume it has improved. I don't remember much about it but we said never again, maybe its time to give it another chance after 11 years.

We are not going to agree on Pop, we have been to look around and don't like that style of holiday. Offsite anyday for us:rotfl2:

All 3 of us are on Three network so looking forward to having our UK allowance to use in July.:thumbsup2

Another one who has no issues with short trips - we are in the middle of our second 5 night stay :)

Another one who has no issues with short trips - we are in the middle of our second 5 night stay :)

Wow, that is short! Are you doing Florida only or is it a split stay?

We just did 5 days in NY but indirect flights - the long journey back killed me lol.

You get a lot of comments about it being too far for a week from people back in Blighty but we just did 7 nights for half term and loved it. As long as you are super strict in the way back with not sleeping after midday once you arrive back in the UK, even the jet lag stays away. Have a wonderful time xxx

...We have only flown in and out of Sanford once, 2003 IIRC and we hated it so I assume it has improved. I don't remember much about it but we said never again, maybe its time to give it another chance after 11 years.

We are not going to agree on Pop, we have been to look around and don't like that style of holiday. Offsite anyday for us:rotfl2:

I'll admit our return through Sanford was a little worse having to queue for an hour to even check in as they were late opening the check in desks and then seemed to have a relatively arbitrary rule on who goes first, bag drop or full check in. Combined with the fact that a lot of less courteous passengers realising the bag drop queue was going quicker and jumping across despite having to do full check in which resulted in them jumping our entire queue. The days of decency are long gone.

Regarding Pop, don't get me wrong, we were very cautious but after staying in the Cheyenne at Disney Land Paris, we knew it couldn't be worse but it was a nice little room and had everything we needed. The one rainy morning we had we kept the kids busy in the Arcade for well over an hour (and a few dollars but we probably would have spent that anyway). It was really the buses and extra magic hours we booked pop for and I really think that was worth it for this short trip. You lose an hour getting to MK if you drive once parking and monorail queues are all combined. Then is you leave at a busy time you lose at least another hour just getting to the car after the park. Considering we went to MK twice a day a couple of times, I suppose that's what we were paying the premium for. Watching Frozen by the pool on our second night was pretty good, they had an inflatable cinema screen and all the dads and daughters (assume mums were too tired) sat around until late watching it, it was a really nice atmosphere.

In summer we're back in a lovely villa and it will be an entirely different trip, probably a fair bit of eating in the villa, loads of swimming and probably one park a day with some rest days.

We did a week in 2008 to plan our wedding and stayed at pop and loved it, we would totally do a week again as we have been a few times before too. Ive only ever done sanford once in 1997 so im guessing its changed alot! Will def keep a look out for late deals though

You get a lot of comments about it being too far for a week from people back in Blighty but we just did 7 nights for half term and loved it. As long as you are super strict in the way back with not sleeping after midday once you arrive back in the UK, even the jet lag stays away. Have a wonderful time xxx

We've made this mistake. We slept most of Saturday but as the kids are off on Easter holiday it didn't seem to matter, come Sunday night with me going back to work, none of us could get to sleep so yesterday was pretty awful for me as I had to drive to and from work. The drive home took a long time as I had to stop twice for fresh air before I fell asleep.

Saying that, I made myself stay awake until 10 last night and slept most of the night and feel human again today.

We did a 4 night trip for an anniversary once (before kids) and that was brilliant as we could sleep on the flight due to not having to "entertain". Why people consider New York worthy of a weekend trip but not Florida I don't know.

Sanford hadn't changed.

We used to fly in there in the 90's then hadn't flown into snaford for years until our cheap monarch trip in 2012.

Brought back happy memories :goodvibes

Wow, that is short! Are you doing Florida only or is it a split stay? We just did 5 days in NY but indirect flights - the long journey back killed me lol.

We did 5 nights just WDW before this time though we are head to NJ/NY for another 4 nights before heading home.

Glad you had a good time loved reading your report as we are staying at POP in September mainly because it was the cheapest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter