Back from Alaska 7/13-20 sailing, any questions?

We are on the Wonder next Monday. Thanks for offering to answer questions.

What was the temperature on board the ship? Was it cool in the dining rooms and theatres? How was your stateroom at night?

I'm prepared for the rainy cool weather outside but not sure if we need light sweaters or something warmer when inside the ship. Do I need to pack warm pjs for the kids?

Thanks.

I would also like to know this!! Great question :)

We were on that cruise and we stayed in Vancouver before and after. We stayed at the Blue Horizon
on Robson St. and it was walkable to Stanley Park which we did before and after we visited the Aquarium.
As for the temp. in Vancouver and it was a perfect summer day. Onboard ship, most every day
it was chilly and a couple of days, I was layered in clothing and wore gloves with hand warmers in
the palm part. I did wear boots as well on a couple of days while on board and also in Juneau. I I don't think there was a single day onboard that I didn't have a sweatshirt on. When we were in Juneau it rained all day... We did Harv and Marv's whale watch there
and Dog sled camp in the afternoon. We saw whales in fact, there were 2 mama's with their babies...
I drank more hot chocolate during the cruise than I did in the past 3 years... Tracy Arm was unbelievable,
we absolutely loved the train in the Yukon territory. We had a great magician and his wife one night, a naturalist
other times during the cruise describing what we would see and he hoped we would see. He also held a question
and answer time one evening. We went to the shows every night and I went to the movies one day.
We celebrated our 40th anniversary onboard and they treated us royally. Just a little insight, Juneau only
gets 3 days a month without rain, yep, that's correct. Ketchikan also gets rain, but, thank God it was a
perfect day.. This is a trip to remember for years to come..

We are on the Wonder next Monday. Thanks for offering to answer questions.

What was the temperature on board the ship? Was it cool in the dining rooms and theatres? How was your stateroom at night?

I'm prepared for the rainy cool weather outside but not sure if we need light sweaters or something warmer when inside the ship. Do I need to pack warm pjs for the kids?

Thanks.
I wore a light sweater to dinner every night, but I am cold a lot of the time. The state room was a very comfortable temperature. I was never cold there.

we were on the 7/6-7/13 sailing before this one. like @sharksfinatic17 , i tend to be cold often back home. on the ship i always had on a long-sleeve shirt, sometimes with a hoodie as well. but it wasn't cold, actually; i would say comfortably cool. the stateroom was a good temperature too.

my kids wore thin long-sleeve PJs; no need for fleece PJs. DD had a princess dress on in the walt disney theater; she did not complain of being cold.

Reading a trip report where it sounded like Capilano was a mad house. Was that your experience as well? DH and kids are iffy on the height and if it's crazy crowded it might not be the best use of our time. If it's not crowded and they can take their time/enjoy the scenery it might work!
I recommend going to Capilano late afternoon (4:30pm?). The crowds should have thinned making the bridge crossing more comfortable. One idea is to hit Grouse Mountain first. Right now Capilano is open until 8pm, allowing for a visit in the evening when most are likely having an early dinner.

I read insect repellent is needed?

i brought some insect repellent wipes, but the only time i saw mosquitoes was when we got out of our shuttle at one of the stops at the white pass yukon train tour in skagway. there were literally droves of mosquitoes flying around (ugh my skin is itchy just recalling the scene). the driver said it was because there wasn't much wind at that spot. we quickly used the outhouse there before returning to the shuttle bus, where i whipped out the repellent and wipes the whole family down head to toe. it helped (or at least psychologically!) and we did not get bitten. ;)

Last edited:
I brought a light sweater to dinner and the show because I tend to run cold.

My daughter had long sleeve pjs but heavy duty winter pjs aren't necessary.

i brought some insect repellent wipes, but the only time i saw mosquitoes was when we got out of our shuttle at one of the stops at the white pass yukon train tour. there were literally droves of mosquitoes flying around (ugh my skin is itchy just recalling the scene). the driver said it was because there wasn't much wind at that spot. we quickly used the outhouse there before returning to the shuttle bus, where i whipped out the repellent and wipes the whole family down head to toe. it helped (or at least psychologically!) and we did not get bitten. ;)
Thanks!

This board helped me so much, I'd love to return the favor. Any Alaska/wonder questions? Ask away!

This is truly the most important question that could be asked........were there Krispy Kreme donuts at the Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast? We're going to be on the Wonder from Vancouver to San Diego at the end of September. TIA

This is truly the most important question that could be asked........were there Krispy Kreme donuts at the Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast? We're going to be on the Wonder from Vancouver to San Diego at the end of September. TIA

not sure if they're krispy kreme but here's a picture of the offerings in parrot cay during the 7/6-7/13 sailing:

IMG_1815.png

DH said he doesn't think they're KK as they were too thick. we didn't have any because they didn't look that great (we live 10 minutes near a KK).

maybe true KK is available at beach blanket buffet?

My family thinks they were Krispy Kremes but they weren't as good as they usually are, and of course they never taste as good as they do fresh from the Krispy Kreme store.

The hot pretzels made up for them.

My family thinks they were Krispy Kremes but they weren't as good as they usually are, and of course they never taste as good as they do fresh from the Krispy Kreme store.

The hot pretzels made up for them.

When were the hot pretzels put out????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter