• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from AKL-Lodge, Safari, Problems, Cirque

Hey neighbor! I used to work in Manlius!

I'm sure you will really enjoy AKL...it's quite a different experience from a typical hotel and I really enjoyed just relaxing & watching the animals! Be sure to try to have dinner at Jiko...it was stupendous!

Have a safe & happy trip & let me know if you have any questions! My email is martdm@email.com.

Originally posted by Ladyhawke10
there were, quite strangely, a number of what seemed like technical problems...reservations lost, being checked out prematurely and put off the lists for housekeeping and turndown service, being overcharged...even our original reservation for the hotel itself did not show record of the deposit and was dropped. I had to reinstate it (this happened weeks before our check in date) and it was kind of scary because we hadn't been notified and had plane reservations. Luckily I called to make a room location request and found out our reservation had been dropped! The CM told me that on one day (I believe it was in Sept of 2003) all the reservations were lost in a massive computer upset. I thought this was weird, but more so when we actually had our stay and all those technical glitches happened as well. The resort itself was as wonderful as ever...but can you tell me, was there a computer problem going on there? Has it been fixed?

I haven't the faintest clue as to what was up with all of that, but I can imagine it was probably a one time computer glitch. Keep in mind, our reservations and property management system dates back to 1980. It's an ENORMOUSLY complex program... so much that, when we hired a company to modernize and re-do it for a Windows environment, they worked on it for two years, and then just gave up, saying it was far too complex for them. (This wasn't a small company either)

At any rate, it's possible that the data file that contained your reservation got corrupted, and then as such, didn't download properly to the resorts computer, thus causing the later problems. Cancelling and re-booking the package usually fixes this problem, and can be done by the back office.

DH and i were at AKL 5 weeks ago for our second stay. Our only problem we encountered was the "turndown" service, or should that be renamed "non existant turndown" service. We phoned and got it the 1st night, very lovely, especially the yummie mint choccies but despite phoning each day for the same the next 2 nights, it just never happened. We were really disappointed and a little annoyed. If you phone up to request something, then it should happen. We were going to complain, but to be honest something sad had happened at home and my mind was elsewhere. Anyone else have this happen to them?

It seems like dis'ers are attacking MartDM for stating facts.
C'mon people lighten up.
And I understand his concern/issues completely. MartDM's emails are clear and to the point and I agree he could have expected a little better customer service.
Enough said.
-Wendy

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express

At any rate, it's possible that the data file that contained your reservation got corrupted, and then as such, didn't download properly to the resorts computer, thus causing the later problems. Cancelling and re-booking the package usually fixes this problem, and can be done by the back office.

Thank you! That makes sense, I'm sure that's what must have happened. It's good to actually "know" since it felt like computer twilight zone for us :). We are staying again next summer (2005) and are really excited. We will try Boma for sure, since we haven't as of yet :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter