Back from 16 Days at Disney

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
Hi everyone. We just got in last night from a long Florida trip. I wanted to share some basic info and thoughts and see if anyone had any questions.

Me and my 12 year old son.

Left Tulsa on Dec. 26th and did a week of camping in Florida State Parks before hitting the Orlando area. We arrived in Orlando on January 1st, but didn't go into the parks until January 3rd (timed so we could ride Soarin' that day before it went down.) We had 10 day park hoppers with the water park and more option. Hit all the parks multiple times, many nights at Disney Quest for my 12 year old son who was crushed to hear it was closing, two visits to Blizzard Beach, mini golf, lots of resort hopping for dining and shopping. Our last Disney day was Saturday, January 16th (the last day to use our tickets due to the 14 day expiration). Left the area to drive home on Sunday, January 17th.

In addition to the camping before, we also enjoyed visits to Showcase of Citrus and Gatorland.

We usually do three trips a year, two short trips (usually early May and early October) and one long trip (January) each year. For the short trips we fly down and stay on Disney property. For our long trip in January, we usually drive and stay off-site. This time we stayed at the Howard Jonhnson Lakeside on 192. Less than $500 for all 16 nights. I was a bit worried, but we actually ended up being thrilled. The room was spotless, as was the rest of the property. It seemed to have just been re-done. Carpet appeared to be brand-new, or very close to it. The furnishing were nice. Beds were comfy. It was very quiet and my son and I felt very safe there. The landscaping and pool area were well maintained. The pool was heated and extremely clean and the hot tub was HOT. Very nice! Free wifi worked well. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and it seemed that someone was working very hard to make this little property into something they could be proud of. We wouldn't hesitate to stay again at that price.

The first week we were there crowds did seem to be up a bit from the same time last year. It didn't affect us through, because we are dedicated rope drop people and fastpass experts. Lol. The second week, however, was extremely uncrowded. We did four Magic Kingdom rope drop days and my son was the very first rider on Space Mountain all four days. He was very proud of his record.

We did lots of park hopping. Worked great for us.

No trouble at all with MDE or our Magic Bands. No fastpass + problems or complaints.

We did the "Marceline to the Magic Kingdom" tour. Highly recommended! We both loved it and going behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion was absolutely the highlight of my son's 12 year old life. :)

We only did one real sit-down meal - Chef Mickey's (my son's favorite) for breakfast. Other than that we did lots of counter service and lots of just snacking for meals. Two of my favorite counter service meals were soup and Zebra Domes at Mara at AKL and the pulled porch nachos at Captain Cook's at the Poly. Yum!

Weather was cooler than last year, but, again, no real complaints. My ideal park touring temp is in the high sixties. I much prefer wearing jeans and a light jacket to dripping with sweat.

My son was lucky enough to have two truly remarkable and magical encounters with cast members. I won't post the details because I don't want to set anyone else up for disappointment if they don't have the same experience. I just wanted you all to know that unexpected magic truly does still happen.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Sounds like you had a great trip. We only get to go every 3-4 years and rotate between on and off site too.

Reactions: GEM
Wow, it does sound like a great trip. I haven't been camping in Florida for years. What a nice way to start off your vacation. My husband doesn't want to camp anymore. My daughter won't either. Good report on Howard Johnson's. I haven't stayed off property for a few years, and fly in and don't rent a car. That is an amazing price! How did you find that? I'm not really a rope drop person. I love the parks at night, and the late EMH. Leisurely mornings, and temps above 75 are what I prefer. But I sure would love to try a 16 day trip, (and with a 12 year old again would be great too!)
Thank you for posting.

I've actually heard good things from someone else about the Howard Johnson Lakeside, but have been hesitant to try it out. How long did it take you to get to the parks? Do they have breakfast or charge a resort fee? Since the weather was cool, did you find you guys were cold while at the water parks & the hotel pool?

Wow, it does sound like a great trip. I haven't been camping in Florida for years. What a nice way to start off your vacation. My husband doesn't want to camp anymore. My daughter won't either. Good report on Howard Johnson's. I haven't stayed off property for a few years, and fly in and don't rent a car. That is an amazing price! How did you find that? I'm not really a rope drop person. I love the parks at night, and the late EMH. Leisurely mornings, and temps above 75 are what I prefer. But I sure would love to try a 16 day trip, (and with a 12 year old again would be great too!)
Thank you for posting.

We booked through the Last Minute Travel website back in October. We always find great deals through them. :)

I've actually heard good things from someone else about the Howard Johnson Lakeside, but have been hesitant to try it out. How long did it take you to get to the parks? Do they have breakfast or charge a resort fee? Since the weather was cool, did you find you guys were cold while at the water parks & the hotel pool?

I was hesitant as well, but I figured for that price, we should give it a shot. As I said, it turned out to be way above my expectation. It was about 20 minutes to and from the parks. Very quick and easy. They do have a free breakfast, we checked it out one morning but never actually ate there since my 12 year old feels he must have Mickey waffles every morning when visiting Disney World. Lol. It wasn't much - just some packaged pastries, stuff to make toast, cereal, and fruit. But, again, it was free. There was a resort fee of $3 per night.

As for the weather, like I said, it was pretty much perfect for us. Jeans and a light jacket most morning and evenings. Fine in a t-shirt and jeans during the day. That's the kind of weather I really prefer. I hate being hot. There were several afternoons when it was comfortable to be in the pool. Even with temps in the mid-seventies, that Florida sun really warms you up. There were even two days we did Blizzard Beach with temps around 77 degrees. A bit chilly for me, but I enjoyed lounging in the sun reading while my 12 year old braved the cool temps to enjoy the water. And, of course, the temps made it great to enjoy the hot tub in the evenings.

I was hesitant as well, but I figured for that price, we should give it a shot. As I said, it turned out to be way above my expectation. It was about 20 minutes to and from the parks. Very quick and easy. They do have a free breakfast, we checked it out one morning but never actually ate there since my 12 year old feels he must have Mickey waffles every morning when visiting Disney World. Lol. It wasn't much - just some packaged pastries, stuff to make toast, cereal, and fruit. But, again, it was free. There was a resort fee of $3 per night.

As for the weather, like I said, it was pretty much perfect for us. Jeans and a light jacket most morning and evenings. Fine in a t-shirt and jeans during the day. That's the kind of weather I really prefer. I hate being hot. There were several afternoons when it was comfortable to be in the pool. Even with temps in the mid-seventies, that Florida sun really warms you up. There were even two days we did Blizzard Beach with temps around 77 degrees. A bit chilly for me, but I enjoyed lounging in the sun reading while my 12 year old braved the cool temps to enjoy the water. And, of course, the temps made it great to enjoy the hot tub in the evenings.
Wow, sounds like you got such an amazing deal & had a wonderful trip! So happy for you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter