• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Babywearing mamas!!

travelingmom4

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to decide how to take care of my baby at the parks. He is never in a stroller since I carry him where ever I go. I'm thinking he would hate a stroller since he's used to being up by me. But I'm also thinking he won't be allowed to ride the rides being carried. But will they allow me to bring the carrier on the rides with me, if I take him out? It will save my back to have it, instead of just holding him in lines. He sleeps like a champ in it too. Or I've thought about having a stroller also just in case and using it to hold our jackets in Jan. What do my baby wearing friends do?:stitch2:

My sister brought her baby when he was tiny and wore him everywhere. She joked that she should write a new book about which rides you can breast feed on. I think as long as the baby is allowed on the rides, he would be allowed to be worn. She had no trouble with it at all.

You'll get multiple answers to this question. I have worn different babies at different ages, mostly in soft structured carriers. Sometimes I wore them in a wrap. It depends on the ride and the CM whether or not you'll be able to leave them in the carrier. The majority of the time I left baby in. There were a couple of instances they made me take the baby out to face forward. However, this wasn't even consistent on the same ride. Overall, you should be fine just leaving the baby in. You never know, baby might love the newness of the stroller and being able to see new things. Mine have never slept in the stroller, so when they got tired I just put them in a carrier for naptime. All those miles day after day can get tough on your back, so you might want to have the stroller as an option to give yourself a break.

You'll get multiple answers to this question. I have worn different babies at different ages, mostly in soft structured carriers. Sometimes I wore them in a wrap. It depends on the ride and the CM whether or not you'll be able to leave them in the carrier. The majority of the time I left baby in. There were a couple of instances they made me take the baby out to face forward. However, this wasn't even consistent on the same ride. Overall, you should be fine just leaving the baby in. You never know, baby might love the newness of the stroller and being able to see new things. Mine have never slept in the stroller, so when they got tired I just put them in a carrier for naptime. All those miles day after day can get tough on your back, so you might want to have the stroller as an option to give yourself a break.

Thank you! I'm happy to hear I can keep wearing him on some of the rides!! You're right about the stroller, the newness of it all may be just what he wants to mix it up a bit

Good point about needing a break from the carrier! I love Disney since there are so many opportunities to nurse while being entertained.

The stroller is nice to have for the hauling of stuff.
I have a simple fabric only sling that I used with my toddlers the last two trips. No one asked me to take them out of the sling for any ride.
This was kind of before the rise of structured baby carriers though so they may have come up with some rules since then.

My baby was 11 weeks and rode all the rides while in the Boba 4g baby carrier last year. They never had me move him. He did great and preferred it much more than the stroller, which was good because we had 3 other littles trying to share 2 spaces in the stroller!

when mine were little I used a simple sling - they were used to either that or a stroller, but no way could I carry them non stop on really long days.... I advise bring the carrier and the stroller, you'll use both- (a simple small stroller is best) stroller is great for carrying bags,etc- and setting baby down to rest your back- sling is perfect for carrying onto rides,(and nursing when needed)

I've also had mixed results with a structured carrier. But for sure you can use it in line. If they ask you to take baby out, just hold the carrier (or keep it strapped on your waist). I almost always nurse my babies on dark rides anyway, though, since it's important to nurse more frequently in the heat, so it's possible I just haven't tried to wear my babies on a ride often enough to give a reliable report.
We always being a stroller, too. I get so hot as it is, living in Florida. Wearing the baby carrier always makes me sweatier. I wore it for 10 minutes to vote yesterday (it was 80 degrees) and I was a mess! Just have a backup plan if you aren't used to wearing a baby I'm Florida. It's hard to overstate how hot a baby carrier can be.
Have fun! WDW with babies is such a great time!

I've also had mixed results with a structured carrier. But for sure you can use it in line. If they ask you to take baby out, just hold the carrier (or keep it strapped on your waist). I almost always nurse my babies on dark rides anyway, though, since it's important to nurse more frequently in the heat, so it's possible I just haven't tried to wear my babies on a ride often enough to give a reliable report.
We always being a stroller, too. I get so hot as it is, living in Florida. Wearing the baby carrier always makes me sweatier. I wore it for 10 minutes to vote yesterday (it was 80 degrees) and I was a mess! Just have a backup plan if you aren't used to wearing a baby I'm Florida. It's hard to overstate how hot a baby carrier can be.
Have fun! WDW with babies is such a great time!

Another perk for going to WDW in January, I'm more hoping we can keep each other warm in the evenings. But I suppose mid afternoon, even still, could be miserable.

I wore my baby (she was a week shy of 1 year old) all over for our Disney trip last year. It was the first week of September, so super hot. My favorite was a Bamberoo SSC with solarveil, just for the heat factor. For most rides that she was all to go on (no height restrictions), I kept her in the carrier. The one odd instance I recall was on the train around Magic Kingdom, I had to take her out to face forward. I think it might also have been a rule the train to Rafiki's in Animal Kingdom.
We did bring a stroller, but mostly because both of my older two (6 and 4) would get tired, and while I have pre-k sized carriers that I wear them in, I am not bada** enough to tandem wear two 40 pound kids in the million degree heat. Baby rarely ever sat in the stroller.

OP, probably depends on how old your kid is. My son turned 1 2 weeks ago and at 26 lb 10 oz, is a bit much for me to wear other than for short errands (I only weigh 112 lbs myself). I haven't been able to wear him for long durations for several months now. I can't imagine wearing him all day in a theme park! I would do better with him on my back, but would not be able to board rides with him that way. He will be 18 months when we go to Disney and he's going to be in the stroller!

If your baby is younger, though, I think babywearing is a great idea!

I have a beco gemini that I've used when we've gone. Loved it! Loved it even more when we went when #3 was 4 months old and I figured out how to nurse in it while we were there, lol. Luckily we've always rented a stroller for the older kids, so I was able to take a break from babywearing if needed. Also, you can babywear while on the rides. Have fun!

5 years ago, in August... I wore my then 3-year-old dd (Beco Butterfly, on my back). Most of the time she walked but if she needed a break it was on my back. We had the stroller with us if we were going for more than a few hours, but she was generally freaked out by the crowds of people when she was down there (we also wore her through all of Colonial Williamsburg the summer before that and then Washington DC when she was 4). So, an infant in January? I wouldn't think twice about it! Definitely. My 6 year old DS spent more time in the stroller (and he was super-tall so his legs were always on the ground driving DH insane) than DD did that trip.

No idea about rides - but it sounds like not an issue from PPs.

I wore DS on our last trip to WDW. She was 9 months, 22 pounds and I had an ergo 360. It was pretty consistent in terms of which rides they made me wear her facing forward. Basically any ride in which there was a bar coming down towards your waist. If I was breastfeeding in line I will just unhook the top of the carrier and sit her facing forward in my lap. Otherwise I will just carry her facing forward to save time. I did bring a stroller also. I could not carry 22 pounds all day long. It also helped with naps. At Disney they get so tired that they will sleep anywhere. I did one nap in the carrier and almost melted. It was July however

I wore DS on our last trip to WDW. She was 9 months, 22 pounds and I had an ergo 360. It was pretty consistent in terms of which rides they made me wear her facing forward. Basically any ride in which there was a bar coming down towards your waist. If I was breastfeeding in line I will just unhook the top of the carrier and sit her facing forward in my lap. Otherwise I will just carry her facing forward to save time. I did bring a stroller also. I could not carry 22 pounds all day long. It also helped with naps. At Disney they get so tired that they will sleep anywhere. I did one nap in the carrier and almost melted. It was July however
Thank you for the detailed explanation, I couldn't figure out how they would allow a baby in a carrier on the rides with a lap bar, but facing forward makes more sense to me. Actually they probably like to see it because baby can't go anywhere on a ride that way. My baby is now 13 months and has gained enough weight even since I posted this that I'm completely convinced I will be bringing a stroller too. But I'll love having the best of both worlds.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I couldn't figure out how they would allow a baby in a carrier on the rides with a lap bar, but facing forward makes more sense to me. Actually they probably like to see it because baby can't go anywhere on a ride that way. My baby is now 13 months and has gained enough weight even since I posted this that I'm completely convinced I will be bringing a stroller too. But I'll love having the best of both worlds.

I brought my 4 month old and wore her everywhere. The only ride that they asked me to turn her around facing forward was Aladdin's Magic Carpets (I can't remember the official name, not sure if that's right). She was fine in the carrier on everything. It was great.

Do bring a stroller though, throw your junk in the basket (diapers, wipes, stuff that can be replaced if stolen) and leave it as long as you can without needing anything. Maybe carry a backpack or small shoulder bag for things you need with you at all times, or valuables. Easy peasy!

We had my daughter (11 months) in her sling for every ride. The only one we were told we couldn't was Winnie the Pooh, and she was sleeping so my husband who was carrying her just sat out. Even with the bars as long as she fit if she was sleeping they let us take her on. But if she was awake we sat her up to watch, she really liked the rides. She split the days half in the stroller and half being carried. It helped us especially when she fell asleep, there was no having to take her in and out. It was August, and HOT, but we bought a lightweight carrier for the trip and it was very doable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter