• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BabyBaby's feces closed Dream family pool on hot sea day!

NatalieR

Earning My Ears
Just off the Dream. Had a wonderful time and will post review tonight. Only obstacle to total bliss was some parent decided rules did not apply to them. Took their baby into family pool without a diaper. You know what baby did! They had to drain and disinfect the family pool. It was closed for several hours on a very hot sea day. Why do people think "Oh MY child won't do that?". Ruined a few good hours for everyone.

This happened on our cruise in the Mickey Pool. The pool was closing at 6 that night for Pirate night anyway but it ended up closing around 2 because of an "accident" in the pool.

Did you see the child? Just curious if it was a "baby" or a little kid who was really potty-trained but had an accident.

Do you think there should be some kind of a fine for people that do this? I certainly do.

Has happened on all of our cruises except for 1. Who knows it may have happened that cruise too, I just was not up there a lot. Each time it has been a 6 hour pool closing...:sad2:

Are the rules for cleaning up on a ship different than regular pools? I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a non ship pool being drained from an accident. How do regular pools handle it?

I was also on this cruise and saw the Donald pool closed (we spent all of our time in the Mickey pool, which my teenager is convinced is just a pool of pee). I noticed a young couple take their baby into the pool and wondered if the rules had changed; nope...a cast member came over and told them they couldn't bring the baby in. It's NO fun for anyone - voilators included - when a baby poops in the pool. UGH!!! :sick:

Are the rules for cleaning up on a ship different than regular pools? I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a non ship pool being drained from an accident. How do regular pools handle it?

Not sure but on the ships they drain the pool then the maintenance crew in thier hazmat jumpers scrub the lining of the pool before it is refilled. On land most pools allow swim diapers, which doesn't really help the problem since they are allow everything to filter through them. They may not actually know when this happens in those pools since the diapers hopefully catch most of the solids; however, the bacteria still escapes into the water, which leads to people getting sick.

We were staying at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal a few years ago. The pool was roped off with a sign that read "Closed due to Baby Accident." My husband and I were, of course, aghast, and asked after the incident to a staff member.

It was actually a diaper incident not a baby accident. ;)

Anyway, yes, the pool was drained, disinfected, and refilled. And due to the size of the pool, it was not closed for just 6 hours, but I seem to recall being closed more along the lines of 2 days....

P.S. Just waiting for some parent to come along and comment about Adults in Depends ..... :lmao:

Being on a ship, everyone has a higher chance of getting norovirus. It is very common. Since it upsets the GI system and flies in epidemic rates with confined cruise ship passengers, they are forced to close the pools and fully clean them. The no diaper thing is actually on all cruiseships, not just Disney. The Norovirus reason is the reason they hand you wipes when you enter for meals. :thumbsup2 A ship also gets fined when they have so many outbreaks and hygine and the reason behind the outbreak is investigated. Let's face it, in a community pool, you are not confined and the chances if you were to get sick and the spread is no greater than in any other public place. Also it is not going to cause a problem for the public pool if you get sick. They really don't care! Also it bothers me that everyone is in and out of the pool and quick over to the counter to grab and eat food! What are you to do though? One reason it takes Disney longer though to shut down their pools, clean and refill them is because they have to covert the water from sea water to fresh water. Other ships just use the sea water! Did you also know if there is an "Unconnected" noro outbreak on a single cruise, that they station a couple of CMs at the drink station and do not allow youto get your own drink on Deck 9 or the buffet. So an outbreak causes a lot more work and money on them, so prevention is the answer!:hippie:

Whenever there is a certain percentage of guests and crew reported with an illness they stop guest's direct contact with the food and beverage station. They do this at Palo brunch as well, which makes it a bit awkward with twice as many people going around the stations. They also stop the pin trading with CMs when this happens. The kids were very happy when they were able to start trading on day 4 when this condition was dropped one cruise.

For land-based pools, they are immediately cleared and closed during the cleaning process which depends on the size of pool. At our community centre, the pool is usually closed for about 2 days.

I was also on this cruise and saw the Donald pool closed (we spent all of our time in the Mickey pool, which my teenager is convinced is just a pool of pee). I noticed a young couple take their baby into the pool and wondered if the rules had changed; nope...a cast member came over and told them they couldn't bring the baby in. It's NO fun for anyone - voilators included - when a baby poops in the pool. UGH!!! :sick:

Pool of pee? Makes ya want to jump right in to cool off. Groooosssssssss.......

Also it bothers me that everyone is in and out of the pool and quick over to the counter to grab and eat food!

Oh man, I never thought about that. My teens think I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe as it is. They roll their eyes when I make them use antibacterial gel before eating in public (I have it in my purse at all times). Now I'm going to carry one on my beach bag and use it after getting out of the pool! I guess I thought coming out of the water my hands were clean.:sad2:

Did not see the child/baby. Just inquired when we saw the pool draining. Don't know if the guilty party were "caught" and even reprimanded. Agree there should be a fine, or at least let everyone know who ruined the pool fun for everyone else. I wonder if they even feel a little bad.

The Mickey pool was closed several times in January on the Magic. We suggested that they post a picture of the perpetrator when this happens allerting everyone to who the "very special guest" was who caused others to be inconvenienced by it each time.

This happened to the Mickey pool several times during our May 7th Magic cruise. Fortunately my DD had not been in the water as it happened any of those times, but we noticed b/c she wanted to get in and it was like, "hey, why is it roped off??.....ohh. ew. oh-kay, on to something else!!". I think they were able to drain, disinfect and refill it within a few hours each time. Poor Mickey, the one time the offensive deposit was right between his eyes on the pool bottom. :eek:

I am the proud parent of a child who shut down a hotel pool. :rolleyes1 She kept missing the concept of closing her mouth and swallowed too much water. She puked. She was 6. I didn't realize she did it until little kids started climbing out of the pool in a panic. This poor man was swimming backwards and right into the vomit. I was yelling at him to stop but he didn't hear me until he was right there in it. :sick: needless to say we found the attendant quick as possible. I couldn't apologize enough. I felt horrible. Fortunately there were two large pools right next to each other so the kids could go over to the other side.

The main pool at Old Key West was closed Tuesday or Wednesday because of an accident in the pool---I think it took them about 6 hours to get it opened after. I forget the sign they used but something along the lines of contamination cleaning............

I am the proud parent of a child who shut down a hotel pool. :rolleyes1 She kept missing the concept of closing her mouth and swallowed too much water. She puked. She was 6. I didn't realize she did it until little kids started climbing out of the pool in a panic. This poor man was swimming backwards and right into the vomit. I was yelling at him to stop but he didn't hear me until he was right there in it. :sick: needless to say we found the attendant quick as possible. I couldn't apologize enough. I felt horrible. Fortunately there were two large pools right next to each other so the kids could go over to the other side.

I know it's terribly bad of me to do so but ... I can't stop laughing. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter