Baby Stuff

DAKTOLCMM

Earning My Ears
So we are about 3 months away from giving birth to our first daughter (and child).

We are totally pumped, but not looking forward to dropping loads of cash on baby stuff.

Anyone have any great deals, good tips, etc on strollers, car seats etc?? Babys R Us codes?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing all the responses!popcorn::

Just keep in mind Baby R Us match lower prices from other stores. I found the fisher price swing cheaper in a Target flyer, they matched it and I was able to use a coupon on top of that price cut. It has been a while so I forget exactly what I paid but the cashier could not believe the deal I got.:woohoo:

:bride: Mrs. Disney Ron

I liked borrowing some of the things that you only use for a short time. Bassinet, swing, exersaucer. I did like putting my money into a good car seat and good stroller. The infant seat you only use for 4-10 months depending on the size of your baby, so I would make sure it was a safe one but not buy the most expensive. The convertible car seat (rear facing, then front facing) I would put money into as you will use this a long time. We had a roundabout and I wish we had a marathon as he got too tall for it sooner than I liked. I would check out the strollers extensively too. find one that is not too heavy and large. A lot of the ones that come in the combo set with car seat just end up being to big and bulky. Put some weight in it at the store, we used some baby dreft as our baby, they push different with weight than empty. Dont be afraid to ask if you can take the car seats and strollers out to your car. Some seats do not work in some cars. And some strollers do not fit in some trunks. Read the entire manual for your car seat and try it out prior to going to the hospital. I am a labor and delivery nurse and can not tell you how many people show up with the thing in the box and have no idea how to use it. More than anything remember that your baby just needs you and your love. It can sleep in a dresser drawer with blakets if it has too. There are so many expensive baby things out there and most are not needed although many are nice to have. Best of luck with your new little one.

I did a google search for you and another site that looks good is:
swapbabygoods.com

Somethings that you and your baby need don't have to be new!
Someone else's loss is your gain...Right!!:goodvibes

My biggest piece of advice would be to just buy a Pack 'N Play and/or an Arm's Reach Cosleeper and to skip buying a crib at first. You may end up with a baby who flat-out refuses to sleep in a crib (we did!), and then you have an expensive piece of furniture that just collects dust. Our DD is 14 months-old, and she would only sleep next to me in our bed. I hadn't planned on cosleeping, so I did buy a very expensive crib. What a waste of $$ that was:sad2:

We did buy an Arm's Reach cosleeper, but she wasn't too crazy about that either. Hopefully our next baby will be more receptive to using it. I still think it was a worthwhile purchase. Check baby resale stores, and you may find one there for a lot less $$ than buying new. Our neighbors gave us their old Pack 'N Play, and that actually got a lot of use as a playpen when I needed to do something like put away groceries.

Ebay, consignment stores, yard sales, thrift stores, Craig's list!

I got DS a Fisher Price Aquarium swing for $40 and a Peg Perego Prima Pappa High Chair for $40 at a kid's consignment sale - both are in EXCELLENT condition and would have cost more than 3 times that each new. I have picked up a ton of clothes, blankets and bibs on clearance at Gymboree too. I found a nice Laura Ashley complete crib set on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

I don't mind used things one bit. I am going to take tags off and wash anything before I let my child use it whether it comes from Goodwill or from Babies R Us anyway.

As soon as my kids are thru using something I sell it and make money to buy whatever they need next. I'm cleaning out my older kid's stuff now to take to a consignment sale here in 2 weeks.

Congrats on your new addition!

Thanks for all the replies.

We just went to a car seat class the other day, so we are now ready to go out and find the one that we need. We have looked at the combo deals for strollers/seats and I like them. Don't know if we will get one of those or not.

My step-dad is making us a crib, so we don't have to get one of those.

Just thought I would poll the audience and see what all you expert savers have done and are doing.

Thanks again!

I skipped buying a high chair and bought a booster seat w/ tray instead. It was only $20 or $30 I think and had a tray. We are in a small condo so we didn't have much choice (no room for the big high chair). It worked out better though since it was cheaper, saved on space...and both my kids loved sitting at the table with us during dinner. Plus the kids can stay in them longer (my DD - almost 4) still uses the booster w/o the tray, but I wouldn't have been able to keep her in a highchair this long.

I discovered the book Baby Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields over 10 years ago when pregnant with my first. 3 kids and 10 years later, I still recommend that book. It is great on bargains for the big ticket items, plus they do reviews of the different styles/brands. I actually have taken it to Babies R Us when I registered. The Fields do update every couple of years, and I believe the next edition is coming out in April.
Congratulations on your baby! It truly is a blessing!

Congratulations! My biggest bit of advice is to NOT BUY INTO all the baby stuff that is out there....you wont need it all stick to the basics. Enjoy your little one ;)

Everybody told us the same thing...don't buy all that stuff you won't need, etc. Well, we did of course, and really, think about this: you will buy a nice swing for maybe $30-$50 (I'm not sure how much they cost anymore). You will use it for maybe 3 months. That's it, then it becomes a dust collector. It's so easy to say 'don't go crazy buying all this stuff', but it's fun to shop.

At any rate, garage sales will start cropping up pretty soon, plus we have a huge used clothes/toys sale at a local school. They have tons of stuff like strollers and high chairs for steep discounts.

Don't rule out Burlington Coat Factory (Baby Depot) if you have one nearby. We found alot of baby stuff there and much of it was of equal price or cheaper than BRU. I also found the least expensive maternity clothes there too.

One comment on the stroller/car seat combination. We went that route and while I'm not sorry, we did not end up using the stroller when DS was old enough to use it without the baby carrier part. It was just not comfy and didn't work out. We went through several different strollers instead. I look now and think a car seat with the base plus one of those stroller frames would have been alot easier to lug around. Just my opinion...

Other than buying used, coupons are here and there and sporadic, but not usually that great of deals...baby items are in high demand and major deals aren't all that abundent. Look for the BRU sale catalog (or TRU). Call your local store and make sure you are on their mailing list.

One more comment - my advice is to skip the bouncy chairs and get only a good swing. DS did not like bouncy chairs at all, but the swing was the bomb. Just our experience...

My youngest is officially a year & 1 week old (plus I have a 3 & 5 yo). I was just in BRU yesterday too, sniff, sniff all those preggo bellies & that baby stuff...(I am done having kids BTW).

Front carrier-got it at my shower for my 1st & I think I used it once with her & I just basically held her. I did use it with my 2nd more so (oldest was in Gymboree so I needed to put him in something) & I used it with my 3rd all the time). So unless you are a hiker, I wouldn't get one now & I'd also wait until she is born to try her out in it so see what is comfortable if you chose to get one, you may like a sling better.

Bouncy seat-loved it. I was able to shower every day. I got one with a netting last year for my 3rd since my oldest broke my original one. I loved it since we got to go outside & I could zip the baby up in it (sniff, sniff I need to sell it now).

Stroller-I too would probably avoid the whole stroller system & get one of those frame type strollers. I had a system but we just threw it away. Plus we are on stroller #5 now (3 of which I can still use BTW).

Exersaucer
-again, loved it & I was able to cook, scrapbook & wow, shower (I brought it into the bathroom). Again I need to get rid of it.

Swing-I got rid of mine after I had my 2nd & I rarely used it. My dd did fall asleep in it a few times but I found it took up more room & because I had it I put her in it.

nailclippers, get 2 if you are like me, I constantly lose a pair.

I didn't use a diaper genie. I got one for my shower (not on my list) & I returned it. We used plastic bags & when the smell got so bad, BRU has these blue scented bags but as they get bigger you may need more then one bag to ditch that stink.

I too would of just bought a booster (a nice one) vs a high chair. I use the high chair because I have it though. I also would of got 2 covers for it. The original high chair had that vinyl liner but after my first & many washings & it was stored in the attic, it cracked & became moldy so we got a cloth cover. If I knew I was having a 3rd (oops), I would of got 2 cloth covers for i t.

I prefer the sleeper sacks. To me they are so much easier to put back on in the middle of the night then to fumble with snaps. My 1yo still wakes up at night & when I run out of zipper feetie jammies, I use the ones that snap at the waist & usually they do not get snapped at 3am but the onsie does.

Onsies-get enough of them so when she poops on it you will have a clean one & then there is another blow out an hour later so you need a clean one along with that sock that goes into the poop.

Are you planning on nursing? Are you planning on working? You will need a breast pump if so. Also the freezer bags & as soon as your milk comes in pump & freeze. I work 1 day a week & by the time my dd was a month old, I had about 150 ounces frozen so I was set.

Don't go crazy on buying bottles either because she may not like the one you choose.

A toy for the floor/ a mat to lay on that has activities.

A monitor.

I just got a flyer from BRU a few weeks ago. I am not sure if I still have it but usually if you do a search the codes show up online too.

I never bought a wipes warmer instead I put the wipe on my leg or in my hands to warm it up.

I got one of those car seat blankets (they sit in the car seat) for my 2nd child (he was born in Sept) & I loved it. I didn't need it with my oldest (May) & my youngest (March) I used it for a month. But I now have it in my stroller & it is a great blanket that does not fall off under the wheel since it is strapped in with her.

I didn't use a pack n play or a bassinette. We co-slept and my kids went straight to their crib the day they came home.

Get an extra set of crib sheets (or whatever you are going to use for sleep) & the mattress pad. I also didn't go all out & decorate the room to match the bedding, etc... And I am glad I didn't because I had much more fun decorating when my kids got older, but that is me (plus I never found out the sex of the child either).

My hospital doesn't do the hand/foot stamp so I did one with in the first month (OK I may have done a few) & then I do one at a year but I am sentimental.

I love my baby book but by baby #3, I can't keep up with it (see I am on here) so I just add things to my calender & save it so I can add it all at once.

I'd say for clothes-PJ's & a few pairs, socks (although it will be warm so you may not need them) & a few outfits to get you by. I am sure you will get a ton of gifts.

Don't fret if your baby girl cries all night long. You are not a horrible mother & your baby isn't the child of satin (I have been there with my first). They just do that-it could be colic & it could be a food allergy or it could just be gas. It happens & you will get thru it even though you don't feel like it will ever end.

Don't worry if your baby wants to be held all the time, it is OK my 3 yo doesn't want to be held (he does like dh to lay with him until he falls asleep though)he just wants to go go go.

Nap when the baby naps. You will need it, especially if your baby is up all night. I napped every day with my first dd (in the afternoon, the am I showered). By the time I had my 2nd I wanted to nap but it wasn't always feasable & by the 3rd, nap??? I can live on 5 hours sleep if I need to.

If you nurse, it will be painful. I know 'they' say it is not painful but it really is. Your milk comes in & boy are you in for a surprise, think watermelon & when you move/sway it causes leakage or soreness or at least it did for me. I'd say it hurts because you are having something sucking on you for life or death (they have a great suction) a few times a day. But once you build up that callous it should not hurt.

OK I must stop now.

Will you be a stay at home mom? If so, check out cloth diapers, they are way better than from when we were kids.

I second (or third..lost count) that you can buy many items at yard sales. Look closely at the new items. You'll see what people bought tons of and didn't need :) I got a stroller for my dad to use, my high chair, countless big lego like blocks and fisher price toys from yard sales. Probably half of the kiddo's clothes are from yard sales too, babies grow so fast, they don't get to wear each piece more than a few times.

The place to put the cash is your car seat. Get a Marathon or Decathlon. It's expensive but not when you break it down by how long she'll be using it. Order it online to save tax and look for discontinued prints to save even more. :woohoo:

Just thought of something else (great post Kerri, BTW). Be sure to take gowns to the hospital. Contrary to what they might tell you ahead of time, hospitals DO NOT typically have something for your newborn to wear. The gowns are good because they have the mitts on them and you can cover up your new little baby's sharp little fingernails, so she won't scratch her face.
Also, anything that is in your room when you leave the hospital is yours!!! Take the diapers, alcohol swabs, whatever. The "chucks" that they use (pads they put underneath you to act as a waterproof barrier) make great changing pads for those first few diaper changes in case of accidents.

As for the strollers, I had the combo system with my first and loved it. Used it for 2nd DD also. Fast forward 6 years and I no longer had that system. I got a new carrier and a separate stroller that would fit the carrier. The stroller has rubber tires instead of the standard plastic though, so it can easily go over rough terrain like gravel without the size of a jogging stroller. I use it ALOT for DS who is almost 20 months.

I agree about the swing, huge waste of $. If you think you would like one, pick up a used one in good condition.

Bouncy Seat is the greatest thing ever!!!!!!!! Make sure you get one that vibrates. Also, the bouncy is good for those first couple of months of cereal and fruit/veggie feedings.

Make sure you get a boppy. I didn't have one with my first 2 kids, but got one for the third. Don't know how I ever lived without the thing.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Just for the record, I am the dad. I'm the financial guy around our place and since my wife is the one pregnant and still is working, I figure I can figure some things out for us.

My wife wants this whole thread printed off...it will help for sure!

Thanks again.pirate:

I'm a big fan of consignment shops. When I was pregnant w/ DD I balked at the idea of putting her in *used* clothes. I got over that real quick. There's some great bargains to be found.

Someone else mentioned saving money by not buying a crib. I totally agree. DD slept in the bassinet of her pack 'n play for the first six months. I don't think she ever spent a night in the crib. The idea of having baby off in a seperate bed in a seperate room just isn't very practical.

One thing to really consider is if your DW is going to BF or use formula. Do NOT underestimate the cost of formula. It can run from $1500-3000/year, especially if the baby needs a special kind like Nutramigen. The $30 you spend on a breastfeeding class is chump change compared to Similac. :)

I can't agree more about the consignment sales. There are SUCH great deals there!

The only thing I would definitely buy new is a car seat. Although they are expensive, I really recommend the Britax car seats. They have great ratings and they are really easy to use correctly. DD had a less expensive car seat and I hated it, the straps were always twisting (which is a safety hazard) and it was just not easy to use. With DS, we got a Britax and it has been a lot better. I nearly croaked at the price, but it has been worth it.

Buy a few onesies and a few gowns, but no other clothes. You will get so many outsits as baby gifts that there is no way the baby will be able to wear all of them. That's why there are so many outfits with tags still on them in infant sizes at consigment sales. You can always get more, but I know DD had a closet full of clothes as a newborn and most she only wore once.

No real clothes in a size smaller than 6 mos -- just onesies. The clothes will shrink, anyway, but a normal-sized baby is wearing 3 mos size from birth, and you won't go anywhere much for the first month, anyway. Take back half the clothes you receive and exchange them for larger sized ones.

Stay away from travel systems. Total waste of money, because both the carseat AND the stroller are going to be cheaper quality when sold that way. Go for safe but simple on an infant seat; you will only use it for 6 months or so at the most. Splurge on a good stroller; and remember that the two most important factors are the suspension and the weight -- get aluminum, not steel, and unless you buy a jogger, insist on double tires on all four wheels. Put 30 lbs in the seat to test it around the store. A good stroller will have good resale value, too.

Most important of all: nurse for as long as possible if at all possible. Not only is it good for both Mom's weight and baby's health, it is a HUGE money saver. You save not only on formula costs, but on bottles, brushes, nipples, and possibly even copays at the pediatrician, because nursed children usually tend to get fewer opportunistic infections in their first year. (I'll grant that this is controversial advice, and if she can't nurse, well, then, she can't, and shouldn't feel guilty about it, but there is no denying that not buying formula represents a significant savings over the first year.)

Must haves:

Swaddle blankets
Bouncer with vibration
tons of onsies and socks
lots of bibs and burp cloths
a great carseat but we have a marathon that we are going to sell because we want to fit 3 carseats in my car now, works great for one or two kids though
stroller- not a system, I really like our peg plinko
microwave sterilizer- works in 5 mintues
a crib- ours was very useful everyone got a better night's sleep
a changing pad but skip the table if you need to save money
disposable wash clothes- they really make bath time easier when you are a newbie but cut them in half or thirds
wipes- only for poopy diapers, don't wipe after just wet you'll make baby's bottom raw
diapers- wait 5 minutes after baby goes to make sure he is done
3 sets of mattress pads and sheets and then make up the bed by layering them, then you just have to strip one layer off in the middle of the night
bath temp gauge- very important babies are much more sensitive
rectal thermometer- the ear ones don't work on infants
bathroom space heater- they get cold so easily during bath time
babysitter/family once a week- even if it's just for an hour it will be hard to leave at first but you need to form the habit

maybes:
swing- my first hated it, my second lived in it
exersaucer- mine both loved it
front carrier- good for babies with reflux to keep them upright after eating
bottles- you might need them, nursed my first for 13 months and my second for 6, the next one I will only nurse for 3 or so, also good to give mom a break in the middle of the night, use advent, most like the breast
formula- buy the store brand, same stuff way cheaper
breast pump- used it a ton with my first, but just a few times with my second, buy it later if bf works out, you don't need it right away
high chair- love my vinal one, cloth is a joke, also buy this later, although mine liked to recline in it and watch us eat
infant carrier- nice to let babies sleep when moving from the car but not totally needed
bassinet- borrow one of these, I only used mine for a few weeks
pacifiers- my first loved her paci, second wouldn't touch it
play gym- lay under it and bat at objects- both of mine liked it

Useless/dangerous-
positioning pillows- danger of suffocation
bumper pads- danger of suffocation and later of standing on and falling out
crib blankets- suffocation use swaddle blankets or sleep sacks
baby bath- use a towel to lay baby on or bathe baby with you just have other one there to get baby in and out so you don't slip
walker- dangerous
jumper/ jumperoo fun but not needed
bumbo chair- they don't use very long (3 months)
dresses or pant and shirt sets- ride up on little ones don't buy until 6 months or so
shoes- they don't walk
orajel- can be dangerous
wipe warmer- don't need this just warm in your hand
most toys at first
Pack n play unless you travel alot- our always took naps on grandma's floor on a firm quilt
lots of other people's advice- you really have to figure most of this out on your own because every baby is soooo different, buy the basics and then do what you need to for your little one, just never say never, they always make you liars

Monica

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter