• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

baby rabbits ?

longneckthree

Mouseketeer
One of our dogs killed a baby rabbit and its three siblings are now in a box in my daughter's room. We think the mother was killed a couple of days ago. What do we do? No rescue people want them.
Thanks, Maggie

If you don't find a wildlife rescue to take them, how do you feel about 3 pet rabbits? There is only one other alternative. And it doesn't end well for the bunnies. Sorry.

I'm assuming these are wild rabbits? If they're the kind you normally see in the wild, the mom could still be around and looking for them. Rabbits usually only nurse at night, then stay away from the nest so they won't lure predators to it. It's common to think the mother either abandoned the nest or was killed if you don't see her around. It's always best to leave a nest right where it is and assume the mother rabbit will be back.

If they are still nursing, keeping them alive without mom is tricky and labor intensive. They need to be fed kitten formula, since their nutritional needs are similar to kittens. However, they have to be fed precise amounts and more often than the mom bunny would nurse since they're not getting the exact milk they would get from her.

I think you have a couple of choices. Put them back exactly where you found them and hope the mom comes back. Or, take them to the Humane Society. They might be euthanized right away. Or, a rescue organization might take them from there. Sadly, they likely will not survive if you keep them. And they will not make good pets. They're much different than domesticated rabbits.

One of our dogs killed a baby rabbit and its three siblings are now in a box in my daughter's room. We think the mother was killed a couple of days ago. What do we do? No rescue people want them.
Thanks, Maggie

Op - Luv Bunnies is correct in everything she posted. The mother is most likely still around as they only nurse at night...and not for very long.

How small are these baby bunnnies? Are their eyes open? Can they run/jump around ok?

Thank you for the information. We fenced off part of the yard that we found them in and put them back where we thought their nest was. They are gone this morning and no signs of a struggle, so either momma came back or they went off on thier own. They were pretty big. After doing some research my daughter thought they were about 12 weeks old.
Maggie

That seems like good news to me Maggie :thumbsup2 It was a good thread though because you opened up a door of information. I have learned so many things over the years here. Ruthie

Once the white spot on their forehead is gone or almost gone, they are old enough to be out on their own :) 12 weeks is way past them being able to live on their own, so it sounds like they will be fine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter