• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baby Names that have been done to death

I went to HS with a guy named Harry Boner. No joke. His sister was Carrie Boner. I always ffelt so sorry for them

We named our dd Lorelei... so far most people mispronounce it. (phonetically it's like Laura Lie... long i sound at the end... most people say Laura Lee). The first question I usually get when people hear her name is "Oh so you were a Gilmore Girls fan huh?" Umm... no... DH is German and liked the idea of a traditional German name... hence the traditional spelling. We also thought it was a name you didn't hear very often... of course we have since learned of two other girls born around the same time who are named Lorelei... not sure how they spelled it though!

Actually, my first thought was that you might be a fax of Styx. :rockband:

Dylan is another name that's been used to death here.

My first thought was a fan of Marilyn Monroe: Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Actually, I think Lorelei is a lovely name, but some people are superstitious about it, because in mythology Lorelei was a siren who lured men to their deaths.

I like the name Hazel and I don't understand why people hate it so much. It was my grandmother's name and I've never met such a caring and fun person. If we ever have kids, I will lobby for Hazel as her middle name. (Who am I kidding? If I am the one pregnant, I have the last word!).

My cousin name his daughter Tegan.

It sounded made up when we first heard it, but it grew on us after a while. She in now nearly 10 and her name suits her so well. She is a gorgeous one-of-a-kind little girl. A little mischevious, not like the other little girls, and she has jet-black long wavy hair with these lovely big eyes that look down into your soul. She seems like an elderly woman at times and says the most truthful things and is always honest.

I love the name Hazel. I think it's very pretty. I do like "older" names, though. Some of my favorites for girls are Annabel, Elsa, Sylvie, Eleanor, Adelle, Cecilia, Daphne, Alice, Eloise...

We named our dd Lorelei... so far most people mispronounce it. (phonetically it's like Laura Lie... long i sound at the end... most people say Laura Lee). The first question I usually get when people hear her name is "Oh so you were a Gilmore Girls fan huh?" Umm... no... DH is German and liked the idea of a traditional German name... hence the traditional spelling. We also thought it was a name you didn't hear very often... of course we have since learned of two other girls born around the same time who are named Lorelei... not sure how they spelled it though!

I've loved Lorelei ever since I was a little girl. I was so excited in college when I met a guy who had a daughter named Lorelei. I don't like the Lorelai spelling that you see sometimes.

Have you heard the song "Lorelei," by the Pogues?

LOL about Aidan & Conor! We have and Irish last name, so I wanted to name my child something that would go well with our surname. I named my oldest (14 now) Conor, thinking I had not heard that name much at all. Well Lo & behold. . . .once he was about two, I heard "Conor/Conner/Connor" all over the place!

So, when son #2 was born, I fell in love with the name "Aidan" thinking it was a shoe-in for a unique name. NOT! LOL! I didn't know a single Aidan when I named my son, and they are all over the place now! hehehe!

I have a 13 yr old named Cameron and for the same reasons. There werent any Camerons in our area that we knew of when he was born, there still arent any in his class but lots younger than him.

I also didnt know many Kaylee or Karissas now Kaylee goes by Kate so there arent any of her and there was another Karyssa in youngest dds class.

There was a great cartoon about 25 or 30 years ago, probably in the New Yorker. It showed a group of young students with the caption of something like "1st Grade Class PS 31" and it had a group picture of all the students on the front stairs. Under the picture it had the names.

"1st Row: Scott,Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer, Mrs Smith, Scott, Scott, Jennifer.
2nd Row: Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer, Scott, Scott, Jennifer, Scott.
3rd Row: Scott, Scott, Scott, Jennifer, Jennifer, Jennifer, Scott."

With all the trendy names, what was old is new again. My son is named Joe III (not joseph-family name). While in elementary school, there was not another joe OR joseph in grades K-5 which, to me, was unbelievable. My daughter, Holly, is the only one in her grade and there are only a handful in grades K-5. So I guess my choice of plain and average names is actually new and unusual:goodvibes

I keep reading how common Aiden is, but I don't know a single Aiden!

Yes, different regions seem to have different popular names. I also live in Mississippi (in the North East part of the state) and I have yet to meet a single Aidan either. I do however know my fair share of Braydens, Jadens, and Cadens (various spellings of each).

ETA: Oh, wait! I take that back! Dd just started preschool last week and I think there is an Aiyden (I think that is how they spelled it) in her class. He is the cutest little boy but I'm not much on changing the spelling like that. So I guess I have technically met one Aidan with a "trendy" spelling now.

Yes, different regions seem to have different popular names. I also live in Mississippi (in the North East part of the state) and I have yet to meet a single Aidan either. I do however know my fair share of Jadens and Cadens (various spellings of both).

I don't know any of those either! I'm in the center of MS, halfway between Jackson and Meridian down I20. Girls are being named 2 names-like my niece EmaLauren (all one word-and her sister is Madison!). Anna-Grace, Anna-Claire, etc. are more common. Boys are Chandler, Chase, etc. I only know one Conner, but I also know a Kale. His first cousin is Slate.

That is so funny. My DSis and my DBil was going to name my DNephew Crash. Last minute she decided to go with Rage Pressley. I thought they were Crazy for naming him that at first but after I seen him that was just the perfect name for him. I could never ever see him as anything else.;)
I know a young boy who is named Crash. It's his middle name but as a baby they started to call him that instead and it stuck. I scratched my head over the name initially but it sure fits him now! =)

My first thought was a fan of Marilyn Monroe: Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Actually, I think Lorelei is a lovely name, but some people are superstitious about it, because in mythology Lorelei was a siren who lured men to their deaths.

Actually DH finds this a plus since he never wants her to date!;)

I've loved Lorelei ever since I was a little girl. I was so excited in college when I met a guy who had a daughter named Lorelei. I don't like the Lorelai spelling that you see sometimes.

Have you heard the song "Lorelei," by the Pogues?

After she was born a friend sent me the CD... DH already owns the Styx CD. She'll have plenty of "theme song" options as she gets older!

I'm not a fan of the Lorelai spelling either.

Actually DH finds this a plus since he never wants her to date!;)

:rotfl: Friends of ours named one of their daughters Lorelei. Her father may let her date when she's 30. I like the name; my dad would call me that sometimes as a sort of term of endearment. It's similar to my name, but Laura is pronounced LAW-rah, not LORE-ah.

I want to add some of my favorites too!

My DS is named Theodore, but goes by Theo. We wanted something slightly original but not crazy...

1. I know twins named Paul and Paula (yes, after the song)
2. A little girl in our paper a couple of years ago was Sparkling Diamond
3. Twins delivered at nearby hospital? Thunder and Lightning
4. Twins in DH's 3rd grade class? De'shawn and Dae'shawn
5. My personal favorite (no offense if you know these people in the real world!) I went to school with a Seth Klungseth who then married Ann McClung. So she's now Ann McClung Klungseth!

Thought I'd add a 'different' name. Ruby (first name) Lipps (last name). I dunno, I like Ruby, just wouldn't want the last name attached.

I love the name Lilly.

Dane was mentioned. My DS21 is Dane. I have only heard 2 others with that name. One in CA last winter and another at an airport 19 years ago.

DD18 is Paige Elizabeth. I had that name picked out in 1981. I know, crazy.

DD10 Carlie Anna first A is pronounced short o.

Twin Names: I met newborns and asked their mom if they were identical She didn't know.....Told me tests were being done to check on that. They were names Javier and Xavier. I couldn't comment on the names, so I just told her the babies were precious.

That is so funny, when I worked at a pediatrician there were siblings named Xavier and Javier. We had to tell the Mom when she made appointments over the phone to SPELL the names because they sounded so much alike and had birthdays in the same month (they weren't twins)! We got sick of misunderstanding her and pulling the wrong chart.

My DS 19 is Bradley... not sure if it was popular then but he doesnt have any friends by that name and I dont remember him going to school with any.

My DS6 is Jack, he was named after my father .. who was born in 1925. While I adore his name, I am so tired of being asked, if he is Jackson or Jaxon. Both are cute ... but not my boy lol. Even though I was going "old school" with my child's name, it does seem to be popular now.

Next child we have ( God willing) will be Dax or Amelie.
Neither seem to be popular, but I do know children/ adults with those names.

Im not a fan of made up spellings of name, but see them alot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter