Baby Formula Recall

poochie

I really need some Disney Magic !!
Went to pickup some Similac Soy Formula for my DGS as my daughter asked me to pickup some up for her. Took me 3 stores to find this. Turns out there is a formula recall which we did not know about. I dropped off the formula to my daugther and mentioned the recall. She freaked, and told me the baby has not been feeling well for a couple of days. It it bad enough the poor little guy is latose intolerant and must drink Soy Formula.

I looked up the information on the formula and sure enough the lot number from his canister is on the recall listing. The bad part is if pretty much finished this off. I looked into this further and it turns out there was beetle parts and larvere found in the formula causing the recall.:scared1: She is pretty much flipping out as she just mentioned she had to get rid of her flour and some other items kept in the cabinet to to same problem She is thourghly convinced it is cross contamined from the formula.

Anyone else have the formula which is recalled?

It wasn't live beetles so I doubt it spread to her flour! It also said it wouldn't cause sickness even if ingested. Still discusting though.

That is what I thought too. But this as also mentioned in the recall:

There is a possibility that infants who consume formula containing the beetles or their larvae, could experience symptoms of gastrointestinal discomfort and refusal to eat as a result of small insect parts irritating the GI tract.

Glad you found some that was not in the recalled lot. If you are ever stuck again, other brands make soy formula and they are all very similar. Enfamil's soy product is Prosobee. You should always check with your pediatrician before switching formulas, but there shouldn't be a problem with swapping a soy formula for another soy formula.

I hope the baby feels better!

There is a lot of GI type illness, colds, and even flu like symptoms going around right now so I wouldn't flip out.

By the way there are always bug parts in any processed food it is going to happen and is nothing to get alarmed at. I have a feeling this time there were just more than the normally allowed amount.

Off the recall topic but you mentioned the baby is lactose intolerant. Has she tried the lactose free formula?? That is what I had to use with both my girls as I refused to use soy.

Yes. We heard about it on Wed. Target took back our unused portion and refunded us. The Pediatrician on call told us at her age it didn't matter what brand. The recall was announced on every station here and on Yahoo news. It was also clearly stated that it was only possible not that there were. They are just being safe and pro- active. I highly doubt there is a cross contamination. That being said the Target Brand must be made by Similac because it was recalled too.

You never have to worry about bug parts in breastmilk!

This is true, but please be careful in how you say this to people, as many people that are formula feeding their babies are not doing it simply by choice, and may be hurt by this comment. Even if they have simply chosen to formula feed, they may still take offense to this comment.

Now is definitely not the time to start a breastfeeding vs formula feeding debate. That said, I'm sure you were just presenting your statement as a fact :)

My dd had 2 recalled similac formulas. got full refunds. here on long island there is no powder similac anywhere. After talking to the dr I decided to change formulas and went to generic. It has the same ingrediants and is half the price.

Switch to Enfamil. Much cheaper and just as nutritionally sound. My pedi said for healthy babies any formula on the market (that's not on bug recall lol) is safe, but he doesn't recommend carnation good start as he sees too many babies with belly aches from it.

This is true, but please be careful in how you say this to people, as many people that are formula feeding their babies are not doing it simply by choice, and may be hurt by this comment. Even if they have simply chosen to formula feed, they may still take offense to this comment.

Very sweet of you to think of people that could be/are in this situation!! :goodvibes

We had 3 plastic tubs all in the recall plus 2 samples from dr office. DH returned them no problem and got the small cans until we can get to Target for their brand. It was very inconvient(sp?).

Yes. We heard about it on Wed. Target took back our unused portion and refunded us. The Pediatrician on call told us at her age it didn't matter what brand. The recall was announced on every station here and on Yahoo news. It was also clearly stated that it was only possible not that there were. They are just being safe and pro- active. I highly doubt there is a cross contamination. That being said the Target Brand must be made by Similac because it was recalled too.

We had 3 cans of recalled formula and DD already used one whole can plus most of another. It's gross to think about, but hopefully the chances there are beetle parts in your can of formula are slim. Where did you hear about Target's formula being recalled, too? When I went there to return the Similac, there wasn't anymore to buy, so I switched to the Target brand. :headache:

Switch to Enfamil. Much cheaper and just as nutritionally sound. My pedi said for healthy babies any formula on the market (that's not on bug recall lol) is safe, but he doesn't recommend carnation good start as he sees too many babies with belly aches from it.

We tried Carnation Good Start when my DD was a baby, and she experienced those belly aches your ped told you about. It was horrible. Needless to say we never used that formula again. I

Now is definitely not the time to start a breastfeeding vs formula feeding debate. That said, I'm sure you were just presenting your statement as a fact :)

i agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter